Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 2:03pm

Post #1 of 46 (609 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

I hope everyone had a wonderful Hobbit week. Tell us about the films (and tv) you saw here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 2:48pm

Post #2 of 46 (269 views)
Shortcut
Jason and the Argonauts [In reply to] Can't Post

Again, while I watched plenty of movies this weekend (including the Rankin/Bass Hobbit), Jason and the Argonauts was the highlight for me. Though it seemed to cut short at the end, I really enjoyed it (which comes as no surprise). Harryhausen's effects were astounding, and it's most effective whenever it strikes fear for the characters. It had quite a grand scale of adventure in such a convenient amount of time. It felt like a cross between Clash of the Titans and The Adventures of Robin Hood. If you've seen either of those and not this, then I'm sure you'd find something to enjoy about it. I'll definitely watch this one again in the years to come.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

imin
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 3:12pm

Post #3 of 46 (249 views)
Shortcut
Dredd 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Starring our very own Eomer - Karl Urban.

My friend wanted to see this and so i went along not really having any expectations about it - good or bad, only seen the trailer once or twice when going to see other films. I have watched the original Dredd movie but that was so long ago i cant really remember much about it.

I have to say i enjoyed it. The violence was very high - hence the 18 certificate so i would recommend for quite a lot of people here to not go and see it based on their previous reactions to violence but for others who like some blood and guts it is a treat! The 3D is used well, be it in a ' in your face kinda way, sometimes that annoys me, but for this film i think it worked. There is a drug which makes it feel like time is passing at 1% the speed it feels like it does normally. The 3D worked well in these situations.

I thought Karl was a convincing judge who was brutal and efficient in dealing out the law.

It was obvious what was going to happen from the first minute of the film (or before if you have watched the trailer) but its not about twists n turns in the plot. To me it is simply about seeing people (the good guys) kick the bad guys ass. Sometimes that is enough.

I came out wishing i had his gun and was as trained as him (if i were in that place), though very grateful we dont actually live in that world!

Overall i think a score of 8/10 for what it is, if its not your type of film then probably a 2/10

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 3:20pm

Post #4 of 46 (254 views)
Shortcut
No Hobbit trailer attached? [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard rumours that the new trailer was attached to Dredd 3D - I presume it wasn't imin?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 3:38pm

Post #5 of 46 (244 views)
Shortcut
No trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I didnt think it would be to be honest, i have not seen any film with the hobbit trailer attached so i was not holding out hope.

I would have liked to have seen it though to see if it were darker (in terms of lighting, its too bright i believe) and basically better in the cinema than at home but i think now my first taste of the hobbit in the cinemas will be when the film is released!

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 4:24pm

Post #6 of 46 (267 views)
Shortcut
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day..... [In reply to] Can't Post

delightful little movie, kinda in the vein of Julie and Julia, both starring Amy Adams. Set at the very beginning of WWII, with the young folks still optimistic and concerned with anything other than what's to come.

Permanent address: Into the West

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 24 2012, 4:39pm

Post #7 of 46 (268 views)
Shortcut
The Secret of Moonacre [In reply to] Can't Post

Cute premise, pretty costumes, good actors, but the script needed another revision or two for it to really come together, imo.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 4:40pm

Post #8 of 46 (244 views)
Shortcut
two 'reality' series on Amazon Prime [In reply to] Can't Post

One was called Flying Wild : Alaska. It was about this family who runs an airline company that services multiple hubs in Alaska. The show follows the family and the activity of the airline - focusing mostly on the bush pilots who might land on runways with high cross winds, rugged, dirt runways, or no runways at all. It's similar to another Discovery Show, Deadliest Catch. But a bit more 'civilized' than DC. :-)

The family is entertaining and the show touches briefly on the experience of being a bush pilot, the technical aspects of flying, and the business side of running an airline. And Alaska. I found it quite interesting and entertaining - perhaps more so because I work for business offices that an FBO and a college that offers degrees in flight/aviation careers.

The other show I stumbled upon while searching Amazon Prime for Flying Wild: Alaska (the roku set up for AP is rudimentary and searching for a show is about the only way to find a particular show) - Out of the Wild: The Alaska Experiment. In this show, 9 people were dropped off in Alaska and asked to walk out of the bush. I think it took them about 40 days but they didn't know how long it would take - even the night before they emerged from the wild. They were given a small set of supplies, a compass, a series of maps that would lead them from shelter to shelter, and a gun. Every once in a while, there would be scant supplies (like rice) or additional equipment (like a field dressing knife or fishing gear) at a shelter. Otherwise they had to hunt/forage for all the food they would eat.

Other than the maps, the supplies they were provided, a couple of shelters that were placed on site by the filming company, and off camera emergency team, these guys were on their own and they did not have it easy. They could, at any time, opt for a rescue helicopter to take them out and some people did. I believe participants for Survivor are chosen by how outrageous they can act. These guys were definitely chosen by how well they could get along and how well they could deal with this arduous trek. It was surprisingly addictive to watch - although I do tend to lean toward reality/non-fiction sorts of books and films.

My only caveat on recommending it is they hunt. They hunt and dress their game. The camera does not shy away from this but it isn't gratuitous in any manner. And I don't think these are people who hunt for the thrill of hunting (although some had hunted before). They are hunting for food and they appreciate what they get. But if that sort of thing puts you off, perhaps this would not be for you.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 24 2012, 4:42pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 4:44pm

Post #9 of 46 (231 views)
Shortcut
you know... I'm pretty sure I watched this [In reply to] Can't Post

and can't remember a thing about it.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 24 2012, 5:30pm

Post #10 of 46 (311 views)
Shortcut
The miniseries of Smiley's People w/ Alec Guinness on television [In reply to] Can't Post

Guinness: the quintessential Smiley, but nothing against Oldman.

"It's a queer country out here", Pa said. "Strange things happen."
"Yes", said Ma. "I'm thankful that so far they don't happen to us."

(This post was edited by wendy woo on Sep 24 2012, 5:32pm)

demnation
Rohan

Sep 24 2012, 6:18pm

Post #11 of 46 (216 views)
Shortcut
Rankin and Bass [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to get my wee siblings to watch "The Hobbit", but they found it too frightening!

Use Well the Days

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 6:24pm

Post #12 of 46 (225 views)
Shortcut
wrapped up a season of [In reply to] Can't Post

A Game of Thrones (season 2). The summer was quite GoT-filled for me. Watched Season 1 in May, read Books 1-5 over the summer, then finished Season 2 this past weekend. (Whew!)
So very. very much happened in books 3-5 that only a couple of the "changes" that took place in the HBO adaption of the material were noticeable to me.
In the spirit of avoiding spoilers I will avoid name-dropping---enough to say that very few of the characters are in any sense dear to me but many are very interesting. (I guess I hope to see redemption in the futures of those that are left standing!)
I do plan to watch future seasons. Looks to be a long wait before Book 6 is released. Wow! I am kind of glad I happened upon this recently since it seems that long time followers of this series have had to exercise loads of patience.

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 6:26pm

Post #13 of 46 (208 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit trailer was attached to Dredd.... [In reply to] Can't Post

in the D.C. area per a friend that saw it over the weekend. Dredd's not playing at my local theater so I have not yet seen it myself.

acheron
Gondor

Sep 24 2012, 6:31pm

Post #14 of 46 (214 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock series 2 is on Netflix now [In reply to] Can't Post

So watched that. Just "A Scandal in Belgravia" so far.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 24 2012, 6:32pm

Post #15 of 46 (225 views)
Shortcut
How about a low-tech arts movie, [In reply to] Can't Post

aka a stage play? I saw Michael James Manaia on Saturday - a one-man play that is confronting, challenging, funny and shocking. The actor was magnificent, switching from comedy to rage to despair as quick as a switching light.

It's about a young man who grows up with a violent father, joins the NZ Army and serves in Vietnam, and the fallout from that when he returns home. It's certainly worth seeing if it ever tours overseas - just be sure to stay for the talk afterward, to decompress from the rollercoaster of emotions.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2012, 7:20pm

Post #16 of 46 (314 views)
Shortcut
Also featuring our Thranduil, Lee Pace. [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy that movie, it's fluffy and fun with a little touch of romance. Smile

Silverlode

Don't have a Hobbit Day footer? Want one? Click here!

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 12:02am

Post #17 of 46 (193 views)
Shortcut
Ed Wood [In reply to] Can't Post

A beautifully shot black and white film directed by Tim Burton about "the worst director in the world" Ed Wood. The awesome performance by Martin Landau playing an aging Bela Lugosi, earned him the Oscar for best supporting actor. After a while, I had so completely bought into him as Lugosi that I forgot it was Landau on the screen Crazy such a brilliant performance. The movie also stars Johnny Depp, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Bill Murray. Howard Shore provides a wonderful score to round out the proceedings. Very well made film all around, i'm surprised it doesn't get more attention.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 25 2012, 12:34am

Post #18 of 46 (198 views)
Shortcut
Shore used a theremin for that score [In reply to] Can't Post

A theremin is also used in the theme song for Midsomer Murders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1otrlPuaMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvD73A9eXXk

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 1:39am

Post #19 of 46 (218 views)
Shortcut
Still having fun with Dr. Who... [In reply to] Can't Post

We're up to episode five of the first season with Rose...enjoying this Who incarnation a lot!

Weaver

Radhruin
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 2:43am

Post #20 of 46 (209 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been watching season one of HBO's Game of Thrones. I've read the books, with a "meh" reaction. I actually think the tv series is better executed than the books. I felt the same way about The Hunger Games. They are much more interesting to me visually than my reading experience.

The costumes, sets and scenery are stunning. It is mostly very well cast, with the exceptions being the female lead roles in my opinion. They don't appear to be strong women as in the books, just harsh, and in Cersei's case rather odd. Is she perpetually constipated? The strange look on her face throughout the series is very puzzling. Lady Arryn isn't so much unstable as diabolical.

The pacing is very nice considering the amount of source material. I was often lost and looking at the family trees while reading the books, but the tv series does an excellent job with the massive amount of characters. Of course I was already familiar with them, but it has been several years since I read A Game of Thrones.

As with the books, I find the immense amount of gratuitous violence and sex way over the top. They both seem laughingly ridiculous after a while.

Oh, and the music for the opening credits is a serious earworm! Very catchy.

I would only recommend it very judiciously, for the above mentioned violence and sex.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 3:22am

Post #21 of 46 (195 views)
Shortcut
I went through [In reply to] Can't Post

all the DVD sets from late last year - it was a very enjoyable way to spend the following months! I know David Tennant has a huge fandom - for good reason - but I think each Doctor builds on what the previous one did. I *heart* Matt Smith so much.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 3:31am

Post #22 of 46 (231 views)
Shortcut
I agree-You wouldn't think something so strange (IMO), would be so good. [In reply to] Can't Post

Johnny Depp was fantastic! As far as I'm concerned, he was robbed of the Best Actor nod that year, as well as in 2003 for POTC.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 3:34am

Post #23 of 46 (207 views)
Shortcut
I didn't think I'd like Matt Smith after Tennant, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I liked him from the get-go. Favorite episode so far "The Doctor's Wife".

"Oh, my beautiful idiot. You've got ME!"

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 3:38am

Post #24 of 46 (182 views)
Shortcut
Delightful indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one we often re-watch. A charmer.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 25 2012, 4:17am

Post #25 of 46 (170 views)
Shortcut
bow ties are cool. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.