Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Comparative maps, Middle Earth and Earth?

alienorchid
Lorien

Sep 24 2012, 11:28am

Post #1 of 10 (1787 views)
Shortcut
Comparative maps, Middle Earth and Earth? Can't Post

I have been looking for a comparative map of Earth and Middle Earth for ages, but so far all I ever find are maps where people are saying "Look at how Middle Earth IS Europe" and that kind of thing.

What I'm looking for are images of the landmasses of Middle Earth compared to landmasses on Earth to compare sizes and distances. Something like http://www.ifitweremyhome.com would be amazing.

I can do it myself, by getting two maps and matching up the scales, then overlaying the two, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that already exists?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 24 2012, 3:52pm

Post #2 of 10 (1135 views)
Shortcut
You probably want 'The Atlas of Middle-earth' by Karen Wynn Fonstad [In reply to] Can't Post

Specifically, the revised Atlas has the illustrations you are looking for (based on Tolkien's rough drawings reproduced in The Shaping of Middle-earth).

Here is a world map of Arda in the First Age: http://www.elvenesse.net/maps/Arda_FirstAge.gif. It shows the main continent of Endor and the second continent that would later be known as the lands of Near and Far Harad. Note how much it resembles modern Africa.

Aman would later be physically separated from Arda, while the other fringe lands would begin to become more familiar following the Change of the World in the Second Age.

I would guess that whatever event was supposed to re-shape the World again into its modern configuration probably occurred at the end of the Fourth Age (about the time of the Biblical Flood).

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

alienorchid
Lorien

Sep 28 2012, 10:39am

Post #3 of 10 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen that map before, and eventually plan on getting the Atlas of Middle Earth book, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I might try to make something myself and I will certainly post it on here if I do :)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 28 2012, 10:44am

Post #4 of 10 (1140 views)
Shortcut
There's this, but it's completely fan made [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

It has latitudes on, so fairly comparable to a modern map of the world.

Though, it is fan made so raises many issues. Being a geographer, I doubt they considered map projection.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 28 2012, 8:36pm

Post #5 of 10 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth in the Second Age [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Link

It has latitudes on, so fairly comparable to a modern map of the world.

Though, it is fan made so raises many issues. Being a geographer, I doubt they considered map projection.

It's funny. The Battle of the Powers in the First Age changed the face of Middle-earth as much, if not more, than the Change of the World did in the Second Age. Besides the sinking of the western-most lands of Beleriand, the enormous Inland Sea of Helcar has drained away with only the Sea of Rhun and Nurnen in Mordor to show that it ever existed.

Figure 2 in Fonstad's revised Atlas of Middle-earth is a good comparison of Arda in the First and Third Ages.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 28 2012, 8:39pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 2 2012, 10:06pm

Post #6 of 10 (1035 views)
Shortcut
have you seen this one? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://matthewbailey.mymiddleearth.com/...th-corrected-big.jpg

alienorchid
Lorien

Oct 3 2012, 2:11am

Post #7 of 10 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Oooh that's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for that! That is the kind of thing I have been thinking of.

I'm definitely considering getting my techie friends to help me make something like this in google maps, so that people can drag the ME maps over the area they live to compare areas in ME with meaningful distances in their own lives. Whenever I am travelling, I find myself thinking not only of the great journeys of characters in Tolkien's universe, but also of real life journeys, and journeys in legends and mythologies.

I have recently been studying the voyages of Polynesians to New Zealand - the ancestors of the Maori - and I find it so inspiring and thought provoking to think of those individuals with all their hopes, dreams and fears when leaving their homes for new lands.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to..."

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 3 2012, 12:17pm

Post #8 of 10 (1074 views)
Shortcut
glad you like it [In reply to] Can't Post

its cool isnt it? I dont know if its the right one but there is a version you can zoom in on to get a closer look.
Its almost unimaginable to me how brave the first explorers were, like the Polynesians, just sailing into the unknown. I also think its fascinating how the first humans travelled from continent to continent, and then how that path was slowly eroded either by the ice melting or the sea invading leaving the people in a new world. It just shows we are just one big extended family.
I have probably been watching too much Discovery Channel. Blush

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Oct 3 2012, 12:27pm)

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2012, 9:17pm

Post #9 of 10 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I have not seen that one before. [In reply to] Can't Post

This one has been out awhile.

http://bigthink.com/...rth-was-middle-earth

Phibbus
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 2:43am

Post #10 of 10 (1297 views)
Shortcut
It's a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

That the UCLA geology prof's page from which that was taken is no longer up. It had a bunch of interesting crypto-geologic corroborating "evidence" that's not present on the Strange Maps site.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.