Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
*Please do not post any pictures in this thread* ....but hypothetically
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2012, 10:32pm

Post #1 of 61 (2083 views)
Shortcut
*Please do not post any pictures in this thread* ....but hypothetically Can't Post

If, for whatever reason, we imagined that Bolg was portrayed as a huge "albino" Orc, this would obviously set him apart from other Orcs and be helpful for creating a memorable and distinguishable design. But could there be any more to it?

If we believe the action figure character summaries from a few weeks back, as we almost certainly should, then we could deduce that Azog is also an "albino". Could this be significant in any way, either thematically or in terms of plot e.g. could this unique coloration play some part in the Azog's dead, oh no he isn't, plot line as part of some switcheroo/ confusion?

Any thoughts on the significance of our first "white" orcs welcome.

LR

(This post was edited by Lacrimae Rerum on Sep 23 2012, 10:33pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 10:56pm

Post #2 of 61 (896 views)
Shortcut
To me Bolg looks rather Frankensteiny [In reply to] Can't Post

His face is all stitched up and his beard doesn't really fit, which makes me believe the Necromancer may have done some experiments on him.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 10:58pm

Post #3 of 61 (833 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that he is undead, and that he has actually attached a dwarf beard to his face...

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 10:58pm

Post #4 of 61 (857 views)
Shortcut
Action figures [In reply to] Can't Post

You said no pictures, but I am going to make reference to the leaked photos of the action figures that surfaced a few days back (I'm guessing many of us did see them even though Warner's put the nix on.)

In the German figurine listing from The Bridge Direct (which I believe is the one you are referencing,) it is stated that Bolg is also a pale, giant orc like his father, Azog. However, in the leaked pics of the official action figures (which would be a very elaborate hoax, if not real,) Bolg doesn't appear to be particularly light-skinned. The Great Goblin, by contrast, is almost white.

I'm wondering if this is a mix-up.

However, I don't think we've seen any reveals of the actual characters of either Bolg nor Azog in production videos or stills, thus far (the big orc seen with Evangeline Lily in one of the vlogs is pretty certainly neither.) It could be that they will look pale (and gigantic) by comparison to others of their kind. Bolg's almost Sumerian-looking beard is certainly a distinguishing touch.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 11:00pm

Post #5 of 61 (807 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In the photos I saw, Bolg looks to have perfectly white skin...

Gorbag
Rivendell

Sep 23 2012, 11:09pm

Post #6 of 61 (799 views)
Shortcut
Its hard to judge what he will look like on the screen from a toy and small blurry picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

The colours on toys like the ones we *might have seen* are always off by a shade or two. They are just toys at the end of the day.

But he is for sure going to be pale skinned, but thats nothing new really. There were multiple orcs with pale skin in the LOTR films, heres a few for example.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/...s/9/95/Osgil_orc.jpg

http://www.skinema.com/TTAlbinoOrcBig.gif

Im not sure his ''pale'' tone has any real relevence to the character, i think its just a skin tone they chose for him.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 23 2012, 11:12pm

Post #7 of 61 (788 views)
Shortcut
A beard you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

That would definitely set a goblin apart from his peers... a status symbol if you will.

Now the idea that he is undead I like. Just what was Tolkien thinking when he introduced a Necromancer into his legendarium? No mere conjurer, a Necromancer is one who communicates with the dead or raises them bodily.

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2012, 11:16pm

Post #8 of 61 (790 views)
Shortcut
I think the beard may be a trophy [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I think is gruesomely interesting

LR

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 11:19pm

Post #9 of 61 (759 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

The tint is greenish on my monitor, but the actual tone still appears darker than any of the other figures, including Grinnah. The small medallion photo of the actual character on the packaging does look possibly paler by comparison.

Interestingly, I just went back to check what was the German word that had been translated as pale, and the figurine descriptions on SF-fan.de have finally been removed per Warner's request.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2012, 11:24pm

Post #10 of 61 (734 views)
Shortcut
Bleicher I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say he looked very white to me.

LR

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Sep 23 2012, 11:25pm

Post #11 of 61 (803 views)
Shortcut
Scalps -spoilers- [In reply to] Can't Post

I am in agreement with this. The hair on the top of his head appeared to be cobbled together from a couple different victims: some was blonde and some was a bright red in common with the beard.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 11:26pm

Post #12 of 61 (746 views)
Shortcut
and possibly blond Elf hair as well draped over his head like a twisted wig [In reply to] Can't Post

The guy is nothing if not a walking trophy case. He'd probably be a goof friend for the Predator. Wink

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 11:28pm

Post #13 of 61 (725 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thrór's beard? Passed down from father to son??

I guess taking that before giving back the graffito-signed head might really raise the Dwarves' prickles.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 11:30pm

Post #14 of 61 (709 views)
Shortcut
could be camera flash [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes camera flash will somewhat bleach the subject in the photo if they are too close. Had one of my son like that and thought it was funny. My mom said "dang, he needs to get some sun"

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 11:43pm

Post #15 of 61 (698 views)
Shortcut
I am in agreement [In reply to] Can't Post

It appears he has an elven scalp for a headress
A Dwarven beard

and...

Are those eagle feathers?

He's also wearing bones for armor.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 11:45pm

Post #16 of 61 (681 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

"Bleicher" doesn't leave much room for ambiguity in translation.

I do a lot of graphics work, and so I have my monitor calibrated to an atypically low luminance. Since the photo doesn't have an embedded color profile, it's using my monitor's, and that may be accounting for our different perceptions. Does Bolg appear as light as the GG to you?

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 11:50pm

Post #17 of 61 (723 views)
Shortcut
Trophy beard is my guess too, and it would not be the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

There is an original character in Lord of the Rings Online, called Mazog (Bolg's son). The concept art (and the final render) show that he wears bits of armor scavenged from here and there, and also dwarf skulls, with beards attached. I loved that design, and would hope this is the case here, rather than just being a bearded orc.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Post #18 of 61 (707 views)
Shortcut
Honestly [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like some sort of deranged character from the He-Man universe.

Not digging it so far...

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Post #19 of 61 (681 views)
Shortcut
Hmm yes for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

If anything whiter - particularly in the pictures (as opposed to the figure itself) he appears almost clown make-up white.

LR

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 11:53pm

Post #20 of 61 (721 views)
Shortcut
Haha! He kind of does... like a Conan the Barbarian... [In reply to] Can't Post

sort of thing... (which is weird because PJ doesn't like that kind of stuff).

I kind of think he look's like one of the baddies from the second Mad Max.

I don't really have any feelings about it yet.

He definitely look's deranged.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 12:28am

Post #21 of 61 (662 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

Essentially, not quite something I would expect to find in Middle Earth. Smile

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 12:30am

Post #22 of 61 (663 views)
Shortcut
He's definitely out there. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am intrigued by his design, though.

It will be interesting to see his character play out.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 12:55am

Post #23 of 61 (662 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, "good friend"... [In reply to] Can't Post

though "goof friend" could work for either Bolg or the Predator anyway! SlyTongue

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 24 2012, 1:05am

Post #24 of 61 (653 views)
Shortcut
Are they meant to appear unhealthy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the designers envisioned these goblin/orc leaders as having succumbed to the excesses their status afforded them? They might have indulged their base desires to the point that they have taken on the pasty-tending-to-putrefied and bloated look of a hedonistic emperor.

Thinking of the Urks of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, they were not entirely disinterested in health matters. IIRC the "grog" they used on the march was actually an elixir of sorts that would benefit anyone who drank it. Therefore, culturally speaking, if Tolkien allowed that they might have a care for their health, being pragmatic, he would have allowed that they might also neglect their health.

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 1:09am

Post #25 of 61 (644 views)
Shortcut
In The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall the Goblins not really going out into daylight so that could account for the pale, sickly complexions. It does appear that those who control the mob are the fattest... following the typical archetypes here.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.