My one wish for these movies
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Túrin_Turambar
The Shire

Sep 23 2012, 7:12pm

Post #1 of 48 (1605 views)
Shortcut
My one wish for these movies Can't Post

Is that wood elves don't look like this: http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/tolkien/h-2-1216-wood-elf-king.jpg.
I mean, I loved the rankin/bass version of The Hobbit, but the portrayal of the elves in that movie really messed up my imagination of Middle Earth as a child. (And those accents...)

On a more serious note, what are things you hope that PJ and Co. won't do with these movies?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 23 2012, 7:14pm

Post #2 of 48 (746 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping that they don't not include the talking purse / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Túrin_Turambar
The Shire

Sep 23 2012, 7:23pm

Post #3 of 48 (696 views)
Shortcut
The talking purse always reminded me of Jack and the Beanstalk [In reply to] Can't Post

The way Jack is almost captured because the magical harp he stole called out the its master the giant, or something like that. I'm not quite sure how it goes, as it's been a while since I heard that story.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 7:24pm

Post #4 of 48 (639 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to tORN, Turin_Turambar! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are definitely a lot of opinions here about what should and should not be in the movies, how things should or should not look, etc.

In regards to your link... I think we are safe from any of the elves looking like that. In fact, recently there was a picture released of Thranduil. If you are trying to avoid spoilers then don't look but if you want to see some of the design that PJ and Co. have in mind for the wood Elves, Thranduil and Legolas as well as Tauriel have been revealed in some form or another (pics, VLOGS, etc.)

Hope you enjoy the community!

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 7:43pm

Post #5 of 48 (665 views)
Shortcut
What's wrong with that picture? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kidding; it's atrocious! I'm not sure who ever thought Elves looked like frogs...Crazy

As for my one wish, I hope that PJ won't go overboard with CGI effects. I want the CG to work for the story, not the story for the CG.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 23 2012, 7:56pm

Post #6 of 48 (629 views)
Shortcut
Double negative, SirDaniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your avatar would not approve Mad

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 23 2012, 7:59pm

Post #7 of 48 (593 views)
Shortcut
Ha! I did it deliberately [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Everyone is so observant! You can't get away with anything on here Evil

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 8:00pm

Post #8 of 48 (596 views)
Shortcut
Since it was answering a negatively phrased question [In reply to] Can't Post

it's probably all right (though could have been worded better)
but thanks for the laugh Laugh

Though when I first read it I skipped the "not" on accident and thought "Awww, poor unloved purse, I for one hope you are in the movie"

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

(This post was edited by Oiotári on Sep 23 2012, 8:01pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2012, 8:02pm

Post #9 of 48 (575 views)
Shortcut
Don't be convinced there's nothing wrong with not refraining from never refusing to not use a double negative. [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 23 2012, 8:04pm

Post #10 of 48 (581 views)
Shortcut
I'm a purse advocate! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't need any pursesuasion that its addition in the film would be pursefect.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 23 2012, 8:07pm

Post #11 of 48 (556 views)
Shortcut
It wouldn't be inaccurate to assume that I couldn't exactly not say that your sentence did or didn't almost partially confuse me ... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 8:09pm

Post #12 of 48 (559 views)
Shortcut
Huzzah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been around TORn much lately, so I don't know where the majority stands on the issue now, but I'm glad to see there are still purse advocates. Cool

Here's to hoping PJ pursues the inclusion of the purse.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2012, 10:11pm

Post #13 of 48 (532 views)
Shortcut
One of the first reactions I had to the FOTR movie [In reply to] Can't Post

was relief that Peter used CGI as a tool to tell the story. In the LOTR movies, in general, he maintained that balance, so I'm hopeful he will do the same with The Hobbit.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2012, 10:34pm

Post #14 of 48 (467 views)
Shortcut
I almost fell for that one! xD [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't scare me like that again! Frown

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

sycorax82
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 10:42pm

Post #15 of 48 (489 views)
Shortcut
Agree, FOTR is one of the most perfect examples of how to use CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

The blend of sets, locations, minatures, bigatures and CGI is pretty flawless. Take the whole Moria sequence. There's plenty of CGI in there but it never takes you out of the action. Particularly the cave troll and the steps scene. So amazing and always will be.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 10:44pm

Post #16 of 48 (485 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Now compare that to what we have seen of Goblin Town thus far...

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 10:51pm

Post #17 of 48 (484 views)
Shortcut
Just one? No talking animals (but one, of course) [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug... and even about that, I extremely afraid it could end up in cheese. Finger crossed.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2012, 11:56pm

Post #18 of 48 (454 views)
Shortcut
But that's not a valid comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

The Goblins are from a quick flash from a movie trailer, viewed from a computer screen - in some cases, a movie theater. I was talking about a completed movie viewed in a theater.

Since Peter is still in edit mode, it's not realistic to conclude the Goblins will look exactly as they do in the trailer, plus we are not seeing them in context of the movie. Comparing them to a completed movie is not a credible evaluation.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 12:29am

Post #19 of 48 (443 views)
Shortcut
Not the new Goblins. I love them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was talking about Goblin Town itself, which seems a bit "gamey" if you catch my meaning. Compare that to Moria in FOTR, which seemed very authentic.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 1:40am

Post #20 of 48 (431 views)
Shortcut
Are double negatives actually grammatically incorrect? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because sometimes they convey what I mean better than a single positive...if that makes sense.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 1:44am

Post #21 of 48 (438 views)
Shortcut
LOTR CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter's use in the LOTR movies was phenomenal. I don't ever remember it being distracting to me. I hope I can say the same for the coming films.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 1:49am

Post #22 of 48 (416 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the blending of many elements is key with the use of CGI.

But when it is the only thing being used, I don't think it holds up well because there's little or no practical footage.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2012, 1:52am

Post #23 of 48 (439 views)
Shortcut
I think he's demonstrated [In reply to] Can't Post

that he's capable of doing it. I agree it remains to be seen whether he actually will use CGI as a tool and not a gimmick. But I'm hopeful given his history. There are directors who over-use CGI and it seems to me that they don't know how to restrain themselves. Fortunately that's not Peter.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 2:03am

Post #24 of 48 (417 views)
Shortcut
His history does make me hopeful. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I will naturally wait until December to make a decision. The abandonment of bigatures does leave me a little worried, though.

Solicitr
Gondor

Sep 24 2012, 2:38am

Post #25 of 48 (431 views)
Shortcut
Um, did you see King Kong? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
that he's capable of doing it. I agree it remains to be seen whether he actually will use CGI as a tool and not a gimmick. But I'm hopeful given his history. There are directors who over-use CGI and it seems to me that they don't know how to restrain themselves. Fortunately that's not Peter.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.