Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
And what is your *least* favorite chapter in The Hobbit?
Poll: And what is your *least* favorite chapter in The Hobbit?
An Unexpected Party
Roast Mutton
A Short Rest
Over Hill and Under Hill
Riddles in the Dark
Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire
Queer Lodgings
Flies and Spiders
Barrels Out of Bond
A Warm Welcome
On the Doorstep
Inside Information
Not at Home
Fire and Water
The Gathering of the Clouds
A Thief in the Night
The Clouds Burst
The Return Journey
The Last Stage
View Results (25 votes)

Curious
Half-elven

Oct 30 2007, 9:17pm

Post #1 of 7 (645 views)
Shortcut
And what is your *least* favorite chapter in The Hobbit? Can't Post

I'll go with The Gathering of the Clouds, because I find it more serious in tone than the rest of the book, anticlimactic since it comes after Smaug's death, and a little slow. It's also disappointing because war is about to break out between the good guys. It's Tolkien's attempt to turn this children's tale into something for adults, and to me it feels tacked on -- and indeed I believe it was tacked on to the tale Tolkien told his children when he readied it for publication, although I'm not certain about that.

Once again, here are the Cliff Note summaries if you want to refresh yourself on which chapter is which. But watch out for Cliff -- I noticed some errors in those summaries.

(This post was edited by Curious on Oct 30 2007, 9:19pm)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2007, 9:49pm

Post #2 of 7 (364 views)
Shortcut
Flies and Spiders for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

as I've said in another thread, I don't like the idea of the spiders talking. Funny how I am okay with talking trees, but not talking spiders. Go figure.Crazy

Morwen
Rohan

Oct 31 2007, 5:31pm

Post #3 of 7 (342 views)
Shortcut
I picked that one too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care much for flies and spiders, talking or not!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2007, 12:10am

Post #4 of 7 (343 views)
Shortcut
I think my least favorite is Over Hill and Under Hill because... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be so scary to be captured like that and then think you are going to get away and don't.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2007, 3:44am

Post #5 of 7 (338 views)
Shortcut
The Clouds Burst [In reply to] Can't Post

For the same reason that I chose Helm's Deep in LotR: I have a difficult time getting my head around battle scenes!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 12 2007, 4:13am

Post #6 of 7 (332 views)
Shortcut
Here's a summary. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't promise it will help:

The Clouds Burst

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2007, 4:36am

Post #7 of 7 (632 views)
Shortcut
Now that's a most [In reply to] Can't Post

um, intriguing way of looking at this chapter! From the "strategies", rather than the conflict itself. Very curious, how it seems to resemble another well-known battle...and now I'm going to be wondering where the heck that Thrush went to!

Thanks for the link! Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.