Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Okay, what is your favorite chapter in The Hobbit?
Poll: Okay, what is your favorite chapter in The Hobbit.
An Unexpected Party
Roast Mutton
A Short Rest
Over Hill and Under Hill
Riddles in the Dark
Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire
Queer Lodgings
Flies and Spiders
Barrels Out of Bond
A Warm Welcome
On the Doorstep
Inside Information
Not at Home
Fire and Water
The Gathering of the Clouds
A Thief in the Night
The Clouds Burst
The Return Journey
The Last Stage
View Results (38 votes)

Curious
Half-elven

Oct 30 2007, 8:54pm

Post #1 of 12 (666 views)
Shortcut
Okay, what is your favorite chapter in The Hobbit? Can't Post

I chose An Unexpected Party.

If you have forgotten which chapter is which, and don't have a book handy, here's the Cliff Notes summary of the chapters.

Riddles in the Dark may be the favorite because of its connection to LotR, but as much as I love that chapter and several others I'm going with An Unexpected Party. I love the humor of that chapter, at Bilbo's expense, and to some extent at Thorin's as well. And I also love the imagery, which is much more frivolous than in LotR. The dwarves have multicolored beards, and Gandalf's colored smoke rings chase Thorin's all over the house. I enjoy the songs, too.

And by the way, I seem to disagree with Tolkien himself on this, who in his letters appears to have regretted the frivolous tone of the first few chapters, and preferred the more serious tone of the last few chapters, which he carried over to LotR. I've also read somewhere, though, that Tolkien's children loved Roast Mutton the best. That's another of my favorites, along with Inside Information, where Bilbo speaks with Smaug, and Flies and Spiders, where Bilbo saves the day. But I'll stick with my choice.

(This post was edited by Curious on Oct 30 2007, 8:56pm)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2007, 9:42pm

Post #2 of 12 (402 views)
Shortcut
I voted for... [In reply to] Can't Post

An Unexpected Party, too. I do love this light tone, as you say, at Bilbo's expense. I also love the link to the ancient time when, as mentioned in the song, the dwarves made weapons and fashioned jeweled handles (and the Nauglamier, although not mentioned here specifically.) But the story goes darker (and this is the tact that I think PJ and co., if we are fortunate again to let them show us The Shire again, should take.)

Boo on you, Curious, for not allowing multiple answers! Sly I think this would ferret out the real favorite, by letting us see which is everyone's second favorite, too. It might be the real answer, like they do when voting for best picture nominations. I would have chosen A Short Rest, as I love Elrond and Rivendell. This is a great future link to the Rivendell some years on, when the elves are no longer light hearted cause the world has gotten more dangerous.

Now, don't tell me we have the same least favorite chapter! Thanks a lot for the Cliff Notes link, cause I've forgotten the chapter delineation since I've just listened to the BBC audio for so long.

(This post was edited by Patty on Oct 30 2007, 9:50pm)

Morwen
Rohan

Oct 30 2007, 9:57pm

Post #3 of 12 (417 views)
Shortcut
Riddles in the Dark [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe because this is the point where Bilbo really finds his courage and resourcefulness, maybe because of the link to LotR, or maybe because I just like riddles.

Like Patty, my second choice would be A Short Rest, because of Rivendell.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 30 2007, 10:27pm

Post #4 of 12 (403 views)
Shortcut
Which version? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum parts from Bilbo apologetically, for not being able to find the promised gift? Or Gollum parts from Bilbo in a rage, calling him a thief?

Curious
Half-elven

Oct 30 2007, 11:29pm

Post #5 of 12 (434 views)
Shortcut
I like them both, although the second version [In reply to] Can't Post

works best for those who have read, or go on to read, LotR.

Morwen
Rohan

Oct 31 2007, 5:29pm

Post #6 of 12 (398 views)
Shortcut
I'm kind of attached to the second version. [In reply to] Can't Post

For years, I had no idea there was a first version. By the time I found out, the second version had fixed itself in my mind as the way it really happened.

Wynnie
Rohan

Oct 31 2007, 7:51pm

Post #7 of 12 (391 views)
Shortcut
I chose Inside Information [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the description of Smaug and his cave, and the conversation between Smaug and Bilbo.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2007, 12:11am

Post #8 of 12 (388 views)
Shortcut
I liked Inside Information... [In reply to] Can't Post

because I like the interaction with Smaug

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2007, 4:55am

Post #9 of 12 (378 views)
Shortcut
Ok... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a lot of them....so I picked the 1st one, it's where we meet Bilbo and the Dwarves for the first time...so I like that one a lot....so yeah....I picked it.....so there!

NoseOfSauron
Bree

Nov 1 2007, 2:39pm

Post #10 of 12 (373 views)
Shortcut
These two: [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the talking with Smaug... what was that chapter called, inside information I think? And an unexpected party is a great chapter too :)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 1 2007, 9:13pm

Post #11 of 12 (426 views)
Shortcut
On the Doorstep. [In reply to] Can't Post

For the physical descriptions, and for the moment described here.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2007, 3:40am

Post #12 of 12 (433 views)
Shortcut
Both those reasons for me, as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's something so - compelling - about a vast treasure, a gloriously sinister dragon, and the extreme care which must be taken when dealing with him!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.