Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Reactions to the trailer overwhelmingly positive on historically-critical Tolkien site
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 11:31pm

Post #1 of 255 (4104 views)
Shortcut
     Reactions to the trailer overwhelmingly positive on historically-critical Tolkien site  

This is just a funny thing I noticed.

The community at theonering.com (or TORC), has historically been far more critical of Peter Jackson and the films than the TORN community.

However, I was just looking at their Movies-the Hobbit messageboard, and I found that every single poster there is quite positive about the trailer, with most absolutely loving it. One member even said, while expressing her excitement, that she felt like she was on TORN! Here's the quote:

Dang, I feel like I'm on TORN, not TORC. Someone complain already!

Clearly, she hasn't visited us lately...Smile

I looked out my window, and I saw no avian swine flying south for the winter.

Funny! Makes me think that perhaps I have been a little harsh...Shall I take one more look at the trailer?

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 11:40pm

Post #2 of 255 (2129 views)
Shortcut
     I think it will be OK [In reply to]  

based purely on the two reactions:

WHAT! This is nothing like LOTR! Too fun and childish!

and

WHAT! This is too much like LOTR! Too grown up and serious!

(I have seen both expressed here)

So, if both camps are complaining, then it will probably be fine.

The other thing to note: my sister, who is a small g geek (not my big G Geek) said the second trailer is for people like her, who will go and see it, but who haven't been absorbing every last morsel of information. (The first trailer was for us!)

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 22 2012, 11:41pm

Post #3 of 255 (2077 views)
Shortcut
     nah! [In reply to]  

go with your first gut reaction. If you didnt like it immediately, then there must be a reason. Its much improved with the Howard Shore music.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 11:45pm

Post #4 of 255 (2051 views)
Shortcut
     Probably wise [In reply to]  

Though yes, those mashup trailers done by some of our TORN friends here dramatically improved my feelings about the images. Odd how much of an impact music can have...

It's just very funny that the folks at TORC are gushing about this. You should have seen them in the run up to FOTR. It was a maelstrom of criticism, with purist vs. revisionist wars raging. Like trolls throwing rocks at trolls, really...Smile

lurtz2010
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 11:49pm

Post #5 of 255 (2100 views)
Shortcut
     because the trailer was amazing [In reply to]  

especially the end with the blob falling down... The trailer really didn't do Martin or Richard justice though, or Ian McKellen with his very scripted sounding dialouge. "The dwavres are determined to reclaim their HOMELAND!!" "gives us. a. distinct. advantage"

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Post #6 of 255 (2036 views)
Shortcut
     Seems to be doing ok on YouTube [In reply to]  

Around 98% positive (across about 40k votes)

LR

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Post #7 of 255 (2020 views)
Shortcut
     Propaganda [In reply to]  

I thought this was a new thread sourced from someone in the Propaganda Department of Warner Brothers until I noticed the OP's name and thought for sure it was, instead, satire. Instead, I found farce.

Nothing helps credibility like praise from a critic.

Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Post #8 of 255 (2072 views)
Shortcut
     I have to wonder [In reply to]  

If some of that dialogue was recorded just for the trailer...It all sounded a tad off.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2012, 11:56pm

Post #9 of 255 (2034 views)
Shortcut
     L-Like In Trailer Dialogue [In reply to]  

Has no one yet noticed the audio stutter in Bilbo's line? I've seen no mention of it anywhere. It makes me think it was rushed.

"I li-like visitors as much as the next hobbit..."

lurtz2010
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 11:56pm

Post #10 of 255 (1976 views)
Shortcut
     I thought it must've been as soon as I heard it [In reply to]  

Probably recorded two minutes before they put the trailer together.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2012, 12:03am

Post #11 of 255 (2017 views)
Shortcut
     Reactions to the trailer (both good and bad) on this site will be amplified tenfold. [In reply to]  

This is simply because we are the minority that have been following the production for a long time, we are all excited and invested in the project. And being Tolkien fans, we would be expected to more critically examine the trailer.

For most people, they probably won't know much about the movie until they see the trailer in the theater this fall.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 12:03am

Post #12 of 255 (1991 views)
Shortcut
     Yup [In reply to]  

I think that dialogue occurs while the dwarves are passing by, and he is trying to be polite (doesn't want them to hear him complain about their unexpected visit...)

His pause before "visitors" suggests that we will see that visitor on camera before he says it...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 12:05am

Post #13 of 255 (1988 views)
Shortcut
     But TORN is full of hardcore Tolkien fans [In reply to]  

In fact, there are far more Tolkien fans there than there are Peter Jackson fans, and they have mostly all been following the production...

That is what I find so extraordinary about it.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 23 2012, 12:09am

Post #14 of 255 (1930 views)
Shortcut
     I think so [In reply to]  

'far to the East, over ranges rivers, lies a single solitary peak. (change to dramatic tone) The dwarves are determined to reclaim their homeland'. seems spliced together to me.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2012, 12:12am

Post #15 of 255 (1968 views)
Shortcut
     Not The Pause [In reply to]  

See my quote of the line. The audio (not Bilbo) stutters the word "like" as "li-like."

Gorbag
Rivendell

Sep 23 2012, 12:14am

Post #16 of 255 (1975 views)
Shortcut
     The reactions are overwhelmingly positive, because the trailer is overwhelmingly awesome :) [In reply to]  

Im not suprised people are loving it, it was a fun trailer. The whole trailer just put a big smile on my face.

As we all know fans can be a fickle bunch, and the internet being the internet people like to complain about something. This is why i tend to avoid most discussions about the film as more information is released/trailers/pictures come out. Ive not looked at peoples opinions about the trailer really at all, but would be suprised if anyone had a deep loathing for it. Theres very little in the trailer i can see people hating. Its just a trailer at the end of the day, all out of context and without Shores music. Its like reading a few pages from a book and forming an opinion based on those few pages.

But the trailer was great, fun and most importantly, just a trailer.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 12:25am

Post #17 of 255 (1934 views)
Shortcut
     That should read TORC [In reply to]  

Not TORN

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 12:27am

Post #18 of 255 (1961 views)
Shortcut
     weird speech [In reply to]  

Gandalf's easily explained : first shot of him, hes obviously not giving the speech we are hearing. Second weird gandy shot is when he says - and i have chosen mr baggins! - notice how after hes finished saying that line, his lips are still moving Laugh

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Sep 23 2012, 12:28am)

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 23 2012, 12:37am

Post #19 of 255 (2016 views)
Shortcut
     Some unique things about TORn that I have noticed. [In reply to]  

People talk here about the movies as if they had a part in making them!
I don't see that elsewhere.
I don't know if that's part of it.

I also checked IGN (a very nefarious site) and it seems that there is a lot of positive (for IGN) and those who are negative are more indiscriminantly negative rather than what we saw here with a few people loving the first and hating the second.

Another thing I thought of is that people on other sites may not be known for being extreme fans of LOTR quite as much.
TH departs from LOTR in very specific ways that could alienate people who really love LOTR ... while simultaneously drawing in a new crowd of very avid fans.

The humor, the whimsy, the imagination ... all very different than the heavy drama and lofty lords and ladies ...

I also can't help but notice that the music was a huge thing on TORN that I only saw in a few other posts across the internet.
It almost feels like the scores people gave to the trailer out of 10 came close to measuring the impact of Shore's music?

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 12:58am

Post #20 of 255 (1878 views)
Shortcut
     Oddly enough, I agree [In reply to]  

Maybe because the dialog was too simplistic, or because it was out of context of the greater story, but some things did not hit me quite like they were intended to, as in Thorin's "take back Erebor!" line. This really should be rousing, but I (of all people) wasn't really sold on it. This should be the culmination of a long battle to convince the Company to go (which I'm sure it is in the film), but should not be an introduction to the matter. Most people would be like "What's Erebor, and why do I care?"

And Bilbo's flippant manner in the cave with Gollum didn't do much for that moment either, in my head, but it's likely this is just one exchange during a more complicated interaction full of fear, loathing, humor, and maybe even pity, but all we got here was comedy.

Addendum: Oh and just in case it seems I'm hatin on the trailer; lots of it gave me shivers (the good kind). But yes, Shore's music is magic, and does impact the depths to which trailer one penetrates my heart. Trailer two stops a bit short Heart

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Sep 23 2012, 1:06am)

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 1:17am

Post #21 of 255 (1840 views)
Shortcut
     I'm with you [In reply to]  

I think people like the trailed and will like the films because they're going to be awesome. It's the same reasons people like the lotr films because they're awsome.

dalecooper
Rivendell

Sep 23 2012, 1:38am

Post #22 of 255 (1881 views)
Shortcut
     Some of it was probably recorded for that, or... [In reply to]  

...was random takes (or even looped/overdubbed vocal takes) selected for clarity and brevity. A lot of what gets used in trailers is not what ends up in the movie, and that's even more true of movies like these, as we know that PJ does lots and lots of takes, lots and lots of reshoots and looping of the audio, and shoots more than he uses by far. The people who edit the trailers (who generally aren't the director, by the way - they usually work for the studio and are largely independent of the production) are given access to lots of material, and pick and choose what works best in their mind.

I almost posted a thread about this but there were so many flying around post-trailer that I decided against it. This was going to be the gist of it, though: for anyone having a largely negative reaction to this trailer, there are sound reasons to be somewhat less concerned. Mainly because I think this trailer, more so than many, is more of an interpretative commercial for the movie than an actual distillation of what the movie will be like. Performances that will have time to breathe on screen - particularly Bilbo and Gandalf - are cut to just a few short moments and focus on the big and broad. CGI "money shots" are assuredly over-represented in the trailer vs. how many will be in the movie. The music is not Shore's and makes the whole thing feel very different - less archaic and classical and more Michael Bay-esque. And the general look will likely be fairly different in the theater; they have several months yet to finalize the color grading and polish the effects, and what's more, I expect the look in the theater to differ somewhat from the bright and crystal-clear look tailored for internet use. I remember the old Fellowship trailers looking pretty dark and indistinct online; I think they're taking pains to not suffer from that this time out.

On the whole I still really liked this trailer, but not as much as the teaser. However, for all the above reasons I'm still very psyched for the movie. The only thing in this trailer that I really disliked that is actually a source of concern for me is the ending gag with the goblin king - it's just dumb and inappropriate in the moment it appears to happen, and very un-Tolkien. I really hope they cut it. But every time I think of it, I try to contrast it with that gorgeous shot of Bilbo running out of Hobbiton and shouting, "I'm going on an adventure!" That moment, to me, is everything I've ever wanted out of a Hobbit movie.

(This post was edited by dalecooper on Sep 23 2012, 1:39am)

cameragod
Lorien

Sep 23 2012, 1:49am

Post #23 of 255 (1853 views)
Shortcut
     I noticed when I was editing [In reply to]  

and thought it was something I'd done. Shocked

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

Solicitr
Lorien

Sep 23 2012, 1:58am

Post #24 of 255 (1909 views)
Shortcut
     Antidotes [In reply to]  

The Barrow-Downs Forum, http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18090

And Mythsoc (the Mythopoeic Society forum), where the Tolkienian heavy hitters hang out::

http://groups.yahoo.com/...ythsoc/message/23331

Sample:
I just saw the Hobbit trailer. :(
I don't think I recognized 3 seconds worth of authentic Tolkien in it.
This is a sad, sad day. :(

(This post was edited by Solicitr on Sep 23 2012, 1:59am)

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 23 2012, 2:05am

Post #25 of 255 (1907 views)
Shortcut
     Do you think it might be safe to say [In reply to]  

that the more the purists hate something, the more likely the general audience and die-hards will be to totally love it?

Or is that just a trend of pure coincidence?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.