Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Drogo Baggins?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 22 2012, 7:52pm

Post #1 of 63 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Drogo Baggins? Can't Post

In The One Ring's 'Hobbit News' app, Drogo Baggins appears on the cast list. Does this mean that Drogo will make an appearance in the films, or is this just a rumor? I think it would be an interesting tie-in.

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 7:55pm

Post #2 of 63 (513 views)
Shortcut
Good question. [In reply to] Can't Post

The actor that now plays the Laketown-servant Alfrid, Ryan Gage, was first cast as Drogo. We also know that they did plenty of auditions a couple of years ago for Primula Brandybuck, so that should tell us something. What happened then, I don't know. Maybe PJ simply decided to cut Drogo & Primula when he decided to helm the project.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2012, 7:57pm

Post #3 of 63 (521 views)
Shortcut
He was going to be played by Ryan Gage (who was recast as Alfrid of Laketown) [In reply to] Can't Post

But since then there's no official confirmation that he remained in the film as far as I'm aware (unless ToRN knows otherwise)? There was speculation that a guy called Peter Hinton had been cast in the past a while back, I believe...

Does the app's cast list have any other surprises? The Apple App listed as the cast the 15 members of Thorin & Co, Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman, Radagast, the Elder Bilbo, Frodo, Lindir, the Great Goblin, Azog & Bolg.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Sep 22 2012, 7:57pm)

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 22 2012, 8:12pm

Post #4 of 63 (506 views)
Shortcut
Elves in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil, the elven king, (played by Lee Pace) was also listed. I hope that this is why Legolas is in the films, they will show him as the Prince of Mirkwood, which the original trilogy didn't really make clear. It will be great to see Elrond and Rivendell again soon.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 8:16pm

Post #5 of 63 (565 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit couple from the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling that the couple in the background in the shot where Bilbo says "I'm going on an adventure" is Frodo's parents

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 22 2012, 8:17pm

Post #6 of 63 (462 views)
Shortcut
That would be great :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 22 2012, 8:24pm

Post #7 of 63 (495 views)
Shortcut
The Bagginses [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought about that, very interesting idea. Didn't they live in Brandy Hall in Buckland though, before they drowned? Unless Bilbo wasn't running in Hobbiton. Of course, PJ could have changed that around so that Frodo's parents were living in Hobbiton, in which case, it could very well have been them.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 22 2012, 9:00pm

Post #8 of 63 (437 views)
Shortcut
why not [In reply to] Can't Post

would be an option I could live with .. :)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 22 2012, 9:43pm

Post #9 of 63 (444 views)
Shortcut
If Drogo and Primula do show up in the film... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would expect them to show up (separately) at the auction at Bag End. This is the kind of event that would draw folk from every part of the Shire. It would be natural to see Primula, with a group of other adolescents, admiring the older Drogo Baggins.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 22 2012, 9:50pm

Post #10 of 63 (406 views)
Shortcut
The Bagginses in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought of that! PJ managed to add in the Sackville- Bagginses pretty well in the extended edition of The Fellowship, so I'm sure he would be able to come up with a clever way to add in Frodo's parents. A young Frodo might be a neat add-in as well, sort of like a flashback, but not too much that it takes from the story line.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 22 2012, 9:56pm

Post #11 of 63 (405 views)
Shortcut
This is still sixty years before LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I never thought of that! PJ managed to add in the Sackville- Bagginses pretty well in the extended edition of The Fellowship, so I'm sure he would be able to come up with a clever way to add in Frodo's parents. A young Frodo might be a neat add-in as well, sort of like a flashback, but not too much that it takes from the story line.

Even Peter Jackson is unable to mess with Tolkien's timeline enough to place Frodo at the auction. Primula Brandybuck is a mere twenty years old (about 14 or 15 in human years), while Drogo Baggins is just coming of age.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Sep 22 2012, 10:14pm

Post #12 of 63 (385 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have a feeling that the couple in the background in the shot where Bilbo says "I'm going on an adventure" is Frodo's parents

I think they lived far from Bag-end and they were not as old as those neighbours. Correct me anyone, if I'm wrong.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 11:12pm

Post #13 of 63 (367 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone but me [In reply to] Can't Post

Think that the "where are you off TOO" line sounded very odd? Something about the accent on the last word...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 22 2012, 11:17pm

Post #14 of 63 (340 views)
Shortcut
They weren't even a couple yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think they lived far from Bag-end and they were not as old as those neighbours. Correct me anyone, if I'm wrong.

See my post directy above yours.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 1:10am

Post #15 of 63 (290 views)
Shortcut
I think that was when there was a "bridge film". [In reply to] Can't Post

They might have worked there, but not in The Hobbit, even a 3-film version. They were just too young.

The fact that Gage was recast pretty much says it all.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 23 2012, 1:28am

Post #16 of 63 (298 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I also thought that, (about the hobbit shouting after Bilbo) maybe it's just an inexperienced extra playing a hobbit, nevertheless the trailer was amazing

(This post was edited by Ring-Bearer on Sep 23 2012, 1:30am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 1:47am

Post #17 of 63 (303 views)
Shortcut
I believe this is the Hobbit called "Worrywort" mentioned in Quint's blog: [In reply to] Can't Post

"We were down the hill from Bag End and as such the shot had Bilbo running full out towards me and his contract with the dwarves trailing out from his right hand.
He passes Worrywort, the hobbit he talks with during my big fishmonger moment, who asks where he’s running off to.
There’s an excitement in his voice as he shouts out that he’s going on an adventure, which is a slight change from the Bilbo in the book who is less than chuffed about being forced out of his hobbit hole. That Bilbo is still in the film, especially in the first scene where Gandalf asks him to join up on the quest."I wonder if the couple in that shot might be Otho and Lobelia, who it also mentions are in the market scene?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51948

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2012, 1:55am

Post #18 of 63 (276 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that's Otho [In reply to] Can't Post

He's played by Brian Hotter and the hobbit in the trailer doesn't look like him.

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 23 2012, 1:59am

Post #19 of 63 (262 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, thanks for looking that up!

Milknut
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 2:01am

Post #20 of 63 (323 views)
Shortcut
He'll be played by Jason Momoa. [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 23 2012, 3:14am

Post #21 of 63 (261 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up, still trying to catch up on the new cast of Middle- Earth :)

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 23 2012, 3:37am

Post #22 of 63 (256 views)
Shortcut
Very humorous...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

alienorchid
Lorien

Sep 23 2012, 7:01am

Post #23 of 63 (210 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

alienorchid
Lorien

Sep 23 2012, 7:06am

Post #24 of 63 (219 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if that would stop PJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that it seems pretty impossible to include Frodo's parents because of the timeline, but PJ is pretty ambiguous about timelines in the movies, so I'm sure he'd find a way to include them if he really wanted to.

I personally think that if there is any mention of them, it might be a really minor point during the 'bookend' scenes, maybe just a dark and foggy flashback memory of two hobbits messing around in boats and falling in, before Bilbo is brought back to the present.

It's fun to speculate, but we have no idea until we actually see it!

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Sep 23 2012, 10:30am

Post #25 of 63 (172 views)
Shortcut
Drogo [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers, Otaku-sempai we have posted it at the same time Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.