Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My hope for a Dorwinion Wine and Mirkwood Elves scene...

_V_
Lorien

Sep 22 2012, 7:28pm

Views: 882
Shortcut
My hope for a Dorwinion Wine and Mirkwood Elves scene... Can't Post

In the books, the Mirkwood Elves are having a feast and break out some "Dorwinion Wine" (from somewhere south near the sea of Rhun). The captain of the guards decides to sample it with the butler, but they've only got big flagons to drink out of....you're actually supposed to sip it out of tiny shotglasses, so they quickly drink too much and pass out/dose off, giving Bilbo the opportunity to steal the keys to the dungeon.

Now, in ROTK: EE, there was that joke that Legolas didn't know what a drinking contest was, but that he can drink a lot of alcohol before he even feels tipsy, while after the same amount (several dozen mugs of bear) Gimli passes out. At first, I was annoyed by this scene, because we know Elves *can* get drunk from The Hobbit....however on closer inspection I realized that Tolkien makes an aside in The Hobbit that "it takes strong wine indeed" to affect Elves (thus its entirely in keeping that Legolas would outlast Gimli in a drinking contest), but he explicitly says that Dorwinion wine is strong even by Elf standards.

****Anyway, I have this mental image of how I hope this scene gets included and directed:

*the captain of the guards and the butler have the same dialogue as in the books, making it a point that "well, all I could find to drink out of were these big flagons" and emphasizing that they fill these 12 inch-tall containers to the brim.
*Just as they knock back the flagons and start drinking, we do a quick-cut away, back to the main feast, at Thranduil's table.
***As a CALLBACK to ROTK: EE, we see Legolas carefully pouring Dorwinion wine into a dainty, tiny shotglass the size of a thimble (to let us know its Dorwinion Wine the container should have a symbol of some kind on it that the butler pointed out to the captain).
*Legolas carefully takes a tiny sip from the thimble-sized shotglass.
*Legolas does a double-take as if he's been kicked by a mule (maybe even a spit take), swallows hard, and then (for comic effect) in ELVISH, and thus SUBTITLED, he turns to Tauriel and says "This is strong wine!" --- for added effect, put in parentheses to imply that he was cursing, i.e. "(This is strong wine!)" or "(This wine is very strong!)".

So this would be a visual way to explain to the viewers that the butler and captain are unintentionally drinking a large amount of extremely strong wine, thus accidentally passing out while on duty, and at the same time it would be a callback to ROTK:EE for the fans.

That's how I picture it anyway.

ReVolution of Evangelion

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Subject User Time
My hope for a Dorwinion Wine and Mirkwood Elves scene... _V_ Send a private message to _V_ Sep 22 2012, 7:28pm
    That would be funny burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Sep 22 2012, 7:36pm
    Very funny idea FiliSonOfDis Send a private message to FiliSonOfDis Sep 22 2012, 8:44pm
    Would love to see it. Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast Sep 22 2012, 8:54pm
    thanks for that Valandil ed Imladris Send a private message to Valandil ed Imladris Sep 22 2012, 9:08pm
    Another way to emphasise how strong it is: Carne Send a private message to Carne Sep 22 2012, 10:22pm
    Warning labels: Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Sep 23 2012, 12:43am
    Great idea {NT} Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Sep 23 2012, 12:48am
    Alcohol may affect silvian elves Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Sep 23 2012, 8:56am
    From a dramatic point of view Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Sep 23 2012, 9:20am
    I like it. Elennare Send a private message to Elennare Sep 25 2012, 11:30pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.