Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Beatles fans

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 7:04pm

Post #1 of 14 (397 views)
Shortcut
Beatles fans Can't Post

I remember asking this question when I was a new member at this site. But I thought there might be more people who like the Beatles now. So, are you a Beatles fan, and what is your favorite song, or songs by them? Smile

I will name a few that I love, not all, because I pretty much love all of them.Wink

Let it be, Hey Jude, Obladi Oblada, Help, A day in the life, Something, All my loving, Revolution.

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 7:40pm

Post #2 of 14 (214 views)
Shortcut
I have three favourites [In reply to] Can't Post

- Let it Be, after mass jam sessions in between rehearsals with the National Youth Choir

- Penny Lane, from the awesome version I sang with the National Youth Choir, and testament to the fact that 250 people can spontaneously break into the same song. Good times. Smile

- Obla Di Obla Da. Because this always makes me smile. http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

I have a gaelic version of 'Backbird' I rather like too. Wink

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 22 2012, 9:43pm

Post #3 of 14 (160 views)
Shortcut
Difficult choice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm. Blackbird, Fool on the Hill, Michelle, And I Love Her, Here, There, and Everywhere, We Can Work It Out, Eleanor Rigby...
Aaaahhh, I can't answer this question. There are too many!!!!
Perhaps it would be simpler to ask me which ones I don't like.
Here, I don't care for Tax Man, Ticket to Ride, and Eight Days A Week.
We'll leave it at that.

"It's a queer country out here", Pa said. "Strange things happen."
"Yes", said Ma. "I'm thankful that so far they don't happen to us."

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Sep 22 2012, 11:41pm

Post #4 of 14 (178 views)
Shortcut
My musical time period [In reply to] Can't Post

was actually the second British Invasion rather than the first, but of course Iike most people I'm familiar with most of their major works and acknowledge them as one of the definitive musical groups of all time although they're not one of my great favorites. I do have Let it Be and Hey Jude on my ipod, so I like them enough for that. I liked Norwegian Wood when I was younger until I actually payed attention to the words and got creeped out upon the realization of what it was really about...

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2012, 2:39am

Post #5 of 14 (168 views)
Shortcut
Beatles fan here! [In reply to] Can't Post

My fave band.

My fave songs of theirs are many but some are:

I Am the Walrus
Come Together
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
A Day in the Life
Fool on the Hill
Across the Universe

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

acheron
Gondor

Sep 23 2012, 3:52am

Post #6 of 14 (161 views)
Shortcut
some of my favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

My real favorite is probably "Something".

Sometimes I answer this question with "I've Just Seen a Face", though.

Also "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" -- the fact that those two were released together as a single blows my mind.

Honorable mention to "A Day in the Life" and "Eleanor Rigby".

And "Yesterday".

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 23 2012, 6:21pm

Post #7 of 14 (148 views)
Shortcut
That was great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gene Kelly's a favorite of mine.

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 23 2012, 6:25pm

Post #8 of 14 (137 views)
Shortcut
I'm rediscovering them with my [In reply to] Can't Post

granddaughter who's eight which is about the age I was when I first heard them. Her favorite song right now is Run For Your Life. We have fun singing it together.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2012, 6:57pm

Post #9 of 14 (153 views)
Shortcut
No favorites. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love just about all their songs. Including the ones never officially released.

And love the Magical Mystery Tour music, but the movie was - awful.

I have most of their albums on vinyl, some on CD, some taped for playing in my car (watch for a blue '95 Toyota with a yellow "Caution: Driver Singing" bumper sticker).

My youngest has a large collection of books about them and their music.

And for a fun concert, catch one of Ringo's "All-Starr" tours. I've been to three, so far (she's been to four, and has talked with Geoff Emerick and been hugged by Mark Hudson; you'd probably have to be a Beatles geek to know who they are!).

Us? Beatles fans?

Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 3:16am

Post #10 of 14 (131 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* They're immortal :) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a hard one. I've loved their music since I first heard them on the playground when I was in the 6th grade in 1963. Seriously... I remember it so well! I can only name a few of the ones I like the most, but it's almost easier to name the ones I'm no so fond of ;) I still have all the original albums I've bought since the 1960s. Yellow Submarine is one of my all-time favourite movies!

Hard Day's Night
A Day In The Life
I Will
Blackbird
Day Tripper
Nowhere Man
Get Back
In My Life (makes me cry every time)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Fav Albums:
Beatles' White
Abbey Road
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heartsclub Band
Movie: Yellow Submarine "I've got a hole in me pocket"

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Aeglos

Sep 24 2012, 9:35am

Post #11 of 14 (118 views)
Shortcut
tough question [In reply to] Can't Post

A Day in the Life. Or Strawberry Fields Forever. Or Hey Jude. Pretty much anything except Wild Honey Pie, actually.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 12:46pm

Post #12 of 14 (102 views)
Shortcut
When I was really young [In reply to] Can't Post

my Dad would sing All My Loving as a lullaby. He was really my gateway into the Beatles, though I never had a profound appreciation and understanding until a few years ago (and since have broadened my musical opinions and interests).

All My Loving definitely sits up there for both sentimentality and simply because it's a great song. There's so many songs that I love, but to choose a few I'd go with: Something, With A Little Help From My Friends, Nowhere Man, And I Love Her, She Loves You, Revolution, Hey Bulldog - the list goes on and on. I'm also a fan of their solo careers (particularly George's), with songs like My Sweet Lord, What Is Life, and Got My Mind Set On You.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 1:33am

Post #13 of 14 (113 views)
Shortcut
Big admirer [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't pretend to be that knowledgeable about all the albums and deep cuts, but the songs I know, I love.

My all-time favorites are Revolution and All You Need is Love! Laugh

Other favorites include, but are not limited to:
Oh, Darlin'
Come Together
Help!
Twist and Shout
Hey, Jude
Eleanor Rigby
Yesterday

I also enjoy Got to Get You Into My Life and We Can Work It Out, but I actually prefer the covers by Earth Wind & Fire and Stevie Wonder, respectively. I certainly mean no disrespect by this, I think it speaks well of the Beatles's song-writing that their songs can be adapted by other artists for their own styles.

It's certainly a testament to the power of Beatles's songs that about a week after that horrendous earthquake and tsunami in Japan last year, there was a moment of silence followed by Yesterday played over loud speakers. I get choked up just thinking about it.

Longbottom Leaf
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 10:00pm

Post #14 of 14 (228 views)
Shortcut
Her Majesty!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats a tough question..It depends on which day of the week it is.I really like Tomorrow Never Knows. Walrus has never lost it's charm for me and neither has Being for the benefit of Mr. Kyte. When I was first starting to get into The Beatles I was doing a lot of "experimenting" and so I tend to lean towards the more trippy stuff. Don't really care for the early la-dee-da,lovey dove stuff. Mostly I love the second half of Abbey Road(not that the first half isn't great with the exception of Mawells..never really could dig that tune) but for some reason I just love Her Majesty.Makes me feel fuzzy!

The best weed in the southfarthing!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.