Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
20 more hobbit covers

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 22 2012, 7:02pm

Post #1 of 9 (375 views)
Shortcut
20 more hobbit covers Can't Post

Here is an article I found in the news today, celebrating the book's 75th birthday. The article itself is in German, but if you don't read that (it doesn't contain anything ground-breaking), you can still click through the picture gallery on top. It has 20 more very cool Hobbit covers from different countries.

I don't know how big the intersection with Magpie's covers is; some will undoubtedly be there too.

http://einestages.spiegel.de/...-hobbit-wird-75.html

Of course, I thoroughly dislike the Vietnamese one, #19 - the only one based on Peter Jackson's imagery. Heretics. (I am also not sure what the Argonath have to do with the Hobbit.)

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 11:14pm

Post #2 of 9 (102 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't quite place the Argonath either. Maybe they moved it to the entrance to Laketown to scare off the dragon?
Angelic

I like the one from Thailand.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 3:54am

Post #3 of 9 (108 views)
Shortcut
Madness! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo with a shield? I'm beginning to feel like I have been shut up in a mad house.

Use Well the Days

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 4:45am

Post #4 of 9 (92 views)
Shortcut
ha, ha . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the one with Bilbo holding the Arkenstone and Smaug looking annoyed . . . Laugh

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 23 2012, 6:15am

Post #5 of 9 (103 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's dwarven armor [In reply to] Can't Post

If I remember correctly, Bilbo is given a suit of dwarven armor to wear during the Battle of Five Armies.

So it is not so outlandish to imagine he had a shield...

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 23 2012, 6:55am

Post #6 of 9 (88 views)
Shortcut
I am more concerned with the accuracy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of #9 (Hebrew), where Bilbo appears to slay Smaug.

Or a Smaug, anyway, since there is a second one flying in the background. And is that a trunk in the dragon's face?

(I am aware that having Bilbo slay Smaug was Tolkien's original idea, which he abandoned in the writing process.)

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

demnation
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 10:46am

Post #7 of 9 (70 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely forgot about that. Must do a reread. Unsure

Use Well the Days

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 24 2012, 4:47am

Post #8 of 9 (40 views)
Shortcut
that was a fun end to the party ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting this!

Weaver

dubulous
Rohan

Sep 24 2012, 7:14pm

Post #9 of 9 (99 views)
Shortcut
Hobbitus [In reply to] Can't Post

I glanced at the title a little too quickly and first thought it said "20 more hobbit movies". I thought it sounded a little extreme. Laugh

Some pretty interesting illustrations there. Now I want to get my hands on that Latin translation (having been dormant in the fandom for many years, I didn't realize there was one).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.