Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Green Tint?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 1:45am

Post #1 of 29 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Green Tint? Can't Post

I finally got a blu-ray player, and I want to get the Extended Editions of LOTR on blu-ray disc.... they came out about a year ago in a set.

But I keep hearing about a green tint on some scenes in FOTR. Is this for the EE or the TE blu-rays?

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2012, 1:48am

Post #2 of 29 (593 views)
Shortcut
EE Blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

It is on the EE Blu-ray, Fellowship of the Ring only.

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 1:59am

Post #3 of 29 (595 views)
Shortcut
Is it really that bad? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is it even worth it to buy the set?

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Sep 22 2012, 2:00am)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2012, 3:45am

Post #4 of 29 (612 views)
Shortcut
How Bad [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to be very subjective, perhaps depending on sensitivities of either the viewer or the equipment.

I'm not buying it until Peter Jackson personally and directly addresses the issue with fans. Neither he nor the studio has done that. They've only addressed the color grading - a different issue. If nothing comes of it, I will not be buying it until there is some ultimate Middle Earth EE collection out on Blu-ray for both trilogies. By then it would be fixed or become clear that nothing will ever be done about it.

In the meantime, the single editions of each film are out and those who are bothered by green titles, fades to green (instead of white), and inconsistencies between the green-tinted film and flashbacks in the later films and the disk menus have been buying The Two Towers and Return of the King separately on Blu-ray and watching their existing EE DVD of Fellowship of the Ring. There is no question that the superior images and sound from the Blu-rays are worth the purchase of at least the last two films.

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 4:16am

Post #5 of 29 (557 views)
Shortcut
I went ahead and bought it anyways. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'm getting them in blu-ray, I'm getting them all that way.

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 7:51am

Post #6 of 29 (506 views)
Shortcut
Here we go again.... // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 22 2012, 8:48am

Post #7 of 29 (503 views)
Shortcut
You'll only notice if you compare side by side. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 7:25pm

Post #8 of 29 (530 views)
Shortcut
I noticed it without the comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

But then again, I have a keen interest in cinematography, and pick up on this stuff immediately.

Different people have reacted differently to the green tint. That's all we can really say...

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 22 2012, 7:32pm

Post #9 of 29 (494 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone like yourself has a keen eye for cinematography, in comparison to myself. We both look for different things. Smile

Though, the difference is real and visible. Either from a good eye, or from comparing.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Kendalf
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 3:12pm

Post #10 of 29 (534 views)
Shortcut
Sigh (about the tint, not the question, Elutherian!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite the fact that there are two or three different opinions expressed here...they're all correct!

If you're a casual movie fan, the tint may not bother you; in fact, you may not even notice it. But, if like many others (like SA and JW have professed above), you're a bit of a movie or AV enthusiast / aficionado / obsessive / geek (delete as appropriate), it'll drive you nuts.

And I mean nuts Crazy

Patty
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 6:36pm

Post #11 of 29 (410 views)
Shortcut
Macfalk, you might want to avoid threads with this title if it annoys you. But for many fans [In reply to] Can't Post

this is an unresolved issue that we feel the need to vent about. And besides, the question was asked by someone with only a vague reference to having heard about the issue and wanting to know more. He deserved an answer.

Permanent address: Into the West

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 7:30pm

Post #12 of 29 (435 views)
Shortcut
Off topic, but I really would like to know [In reply to] Can't Post

Do the Blu-ray extended editions have new scenes added to them or not? I've found contradicting answers on the web, but I knew I could set the record straight for myself if I asked here. Thanks!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2012, 3:06am

Post #13 of 29 (411 views)
Shortcut
No new scenes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people apparently hadn't remembered some scenes as clearly (hence the contradicting answers here and there), but nothing was added/changed.

Silverlode

Don't have a Hobbit Day footer? Want one? Click here!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 27 2012, 3:18am

Post #14 of 29 (402 views)
Shortcut
I also wondered... [In reply to] Can't Post

if seeing some elements more clearly made some scenes look different or got them noticed in ways they weren't before.

I think I've seen that speculation when people were discussing the Blu-ray editions right after they came out.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 27 2012, 6:19am

Post #15 of 29 (441 views)
Shortcut
The difference is [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't "look" for these things. I just see them, without making any effort.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Sep 27 2012, 6:19am)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 12:34pm

Post #16 of 29 (381 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Silverlode! [In reply to] Can't Post

What's odd is that both IMDb and Wikipedia state that the running time for the blu-ray is longer. Of course I know that these sites are very unreliable, but you'd think after such a long time they'd have it right. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Smile Now I don't have to rush out and get a blu-ray player...just yet.

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 4:33pm

Post #17 of 29 (417 views)
Shortcut
I noticed when I got the blu-rays just yesterday... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the listed running time is longer. But all the extended scenes remain the same according to the paper that came with it.

What's up with that? Are they just now counting the Credits?

Lindele
Gondor

Sep 27 2012, 5:47pm

Post #18 of 29 (402 views)
Shortcut
If fans don't have something to complain about [In reply to] Can't Post

...things get really boring.
The EE Blu-rays are phenomenal. The green tint does not in any way make the film look worse.
WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 28 2012, 1:19am

Post #19 of 29 (380 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they're probably counting the Fan Credits. [In reply to] Can't Post

When they showed the Blu-Rays in theaters as a promo for their release, they included the 19 minutes of fan credits in the running time. I don't think they did that for previous versions. It's a bit misleading.

Silverlode

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 28 2012, 1:22am

Post #20 of 29 (363 views)
Shortcut
Again, that depends [In reply to] Can't Post

On the person.

For me, the green tint makes the FOTR EE blu-ray almost unwatchable, even though Rivendell has been dramatically improved.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 28 2012, 1:22am

Post #21 of 29 (433 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. Perhaps. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't even own the Theatrical cuts of the movies, so I'm extremely familiar with the EEs. When I saw the Blu-Rays, it all seemed perfectly familiar to me. Maybe people who haven't watched them as much or have watched the TEs more than I have simply weren't as familiar with the extended scenes? It's hard to say.

Silverlode

Spaldron
Rivendell

Sep 30 2012, 4:27am

Post #22 of 29 (407 views)
Shortcut
Disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If you're a casual movie fan, the tint may not bother you; in fact, you may not even notice it. But, if like many others (like SA and JW have professed above), you're a bit of a movie or AV enthusiast / aficionado / obsessive / geek (delete as appropriate), it'll drive you nuts.

And I mean nuts Crazy

Not true, I'm a bit of a nut on AV and I can state there is no green tint, its a myth.

The only people who see it are those viewing it on a sub-standard set which hasn't been properly calibrated. If you're watching it on a calibrated set or on a projector then the only difference you will notice compared to the dvd EE set is a vastly improved colour grading (due to them having to upgrade the 2k master as TTT and ROTK were mastered at a higher res than FOTR {this was down to the changing technology of the time}).

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2012, 5:44am

Post #23 of 29 (410 views)
Shortcut
No Myth [In reply to] Can't Post

You've said this before.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=483709#483709

It was refuted here and elsewhere and yet you continue to essentially call people liars and blame it on imaginary complaints and hallucinations, or blame the equipment that plays every other movie just fine, of a great many individuals who had no other expectation than to watch a good movie on Blu-ray.

The last time you claimed this is a "myth," you had hearsay experts who you "have spoken to who have much more AV knowledge than [you] have..." And now you are a "bit" of an expert too. Please, let's have your objective test results, or those from your "people" refuting the reality.

I'll quote my previous response:

I'll just comment that your claim of "experts" is dubious because your arguments indicate an ignorance of tangible facts. One of them is that the tint is objectively measurable by equipment as proved on some of those same forums. Another is that a manufacturing artifact can be introduced after director approval of the transfer. A third is that you simultaneously blame perception of something that isn't there and tell us to adjust our TVs to ameliorate something that is. Your "expert" sources? It's easy to write the word "expert" in a post, but I won't believe that particular claim without seeing their published work, credentials and proof that it is unbiased.

Let me know when you and your so-called experts release as much objective study and data on the problem as is already out there documenting this "myth." I don't honestly believe you could have posted with your baseless claim for any other objective or intellectual motivation here other than to simply "disagree" again.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 30 2012, 5:51am)

Kendalf
Rohan

Sep 30 2012, 12:49pm

Post #24 of 29 (376 views)
Shortcut
Even the new colour grading is questionable in places [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm a bit of a nut on AV and I can state there is no green tint, its a myth.

The only people who see it are those viewing it on a sub-standard set which hasn't been properly calibrated. If you're watching it on a calibrated set or on a projector then the only difference you will notice compared to the dvd EE set is a vastly improved colour grading

If you really are of the belief that the green tint is "a myth", then I'm not going to get into a debate with you over it. If all the evidence in all the forums (as well as the slightly bizarre notion that people's screens somehow decalibrate themselves when showing FotR and then recalibrate themselves to acceptable standards when showing anything else) hasn't convinced you, I'm certainly not going to, either. However, as an interesting aside, I would actually like to take issue with your claim that the new colour grading is "vastly improved". There is widespread agreement, granted, from fans and critics alike, that the Last Alliance prologue and the sojourn in Rivendell in particular have both benefitted enormously from the re-grading, but much, much less conformity of opinion when it comes to substantial parts of the rest of the film. Hobbiton, Orthanc, Caradhras, Midgewater and more all boast, in many fans' eyes, far, far too high a level of green or teal or blue respectively and the increased contrast (and consequent darkening of the image) has been a major bugbear for others. The neutral, naturalistic palette of the original (which Towers and King still have!!!!!!) has been completely erased and I, for one, don't consider blue snow*, blue eyballs**, variable lighting***, chameleon waistcoats**** and radioactive foliage***** a "vast improvement". By the looks of things, it would appear now that there's some truth to those rumours last June that Jackson had done this to FotR in order to blend it more closely with his new Hobbit movies. What a shame, then, that he didn't apply the new palette to the entire trilogy; at least then he would have preserved some modicum of aesthetic continuity. *Aeriel shot of the Fellowship ascending Caradhras **Close-ups of Frodo and Merry discussing whether Strider is fair or foul ***Saruman is bathed in blue in Orthanc in the new FotR but not in the identical (or at least very similar) shot in TT ****Merry's waistcoat is orange as he watches Boromir fall in the new FotR yet still yellow in the flashback in RotK *****Just about any shot in Hobbiton; hiding from the Black Rider beneath the tree root

Kendalf
Rohan

Sep 30 2012, 9:46pm

Post #25 of 29 (310 views)
Shortcut
Apologies - copied and edited for clarity [In reply to] Can't Post

THIS IS (HOPEFULLY) A CLEARER VERSION OF THE ABOVE TEXT WITH THE PROPER FORMATTING (IF IT WORKS THIS TIME)

If you really are of the belief that the green tint is "a myth", then I'm not going to get into a debate with you over it. If all the evidence in all the forums (as well as the slightly bizarre notion that people's screens somehow decalibrate themselves when showing FotR and then recalibrate themselves to acceptable standards when showing anything else) hasn't convinced you, I'm certainly not going to, either.

However, as an interesting aside, I would actually like to take issue with your claim that the new colour grading is "vastly improved". There is widespread agreement, granted, from fans and critics alike, that the Last Alliance prologue and the sojourn in Rivendell in particular have both benefitted enormously from the re-grading, but much, much less conformity of opinion when it comes to substantial parts of the rest of the film.

Hobbiton, Orthanc, Caradhras, Midgewater and more all boast, in many fans' eyes, far, far too high a level of green or teal or blue respectively and the increased contrast (and consequent darkening of the image) has been a major bugbear for others. The neutral, naturalistic palette of the original (which Towers and King still have!!!!!!) has been completely erased and I, for one, don't consider blue snow*, blue eyballs**, variable lighting***, chameleon waistcoats**** and radioactive foliage***** a "vast improvement".

By the looks of things, it would appear now that there's some truth to those rumours last June that Jackson had done this to FotR in order to blend it more closely with his new Hobbit movies. What a shame, then, that he didn't apply the new palette to the entire trilogy; at least then he would have preserved some modicum of aesthetic continuity.

*Aeriel shot of the Fellowship ascending Caradhras
**Close-ups of Frodo and Merry discussing whether Strider is fair or foul
***Saruman is bathed in blue in Orthanc in the new FotR but not in the identical (or at least very similar) shot in TT
****Merry's waistcoat is orange as he watches Boromir fall in the new FotR yet still yellow in the flashback in RotK
*****Just about any shot in Hobbiton; hiding from the Black Rider beneath the tree root

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.