Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Annual 2013

TooSoonTom

Sep 21 2012, 8:37pm

Post #1 of 21 (1380 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Annual 2013 Can't Post

Saw this book today, aimed at the kids. Had a synopsis on each Dwarf. From what I can remember(Iw as in a hurry) :
Dori: is the strongest Dwarf(WHAT after Dwalin?-seems odd)
Bifur: Cannot speak and uses sign language- due to the axehead in his head?

Also they have their weapons shown, though Bombur doesnt have his ladle as a weapon.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 9:25pm

Post #2 of 21 (654 views)
Shortcut
Dori [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Dori might have been described as the strongest somewhere in the book.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 9:29pm

Post #3 of 21 (695 views)
Shortcut
Yup, Dori is the strongest (in the book) [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dori is the strongest, but Fili is the youngest and still has the best sight,"; said Thorin.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 21 2012, 9:29pm)

Olessan
Bree

Sep 22 2012, 4:30am

Post #4 of 21 (533 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually just got my Annual/Almanac yesterday. Thismorning I scanned some of what hadn't -- the Dwarves profiles you mention among them. They can be found on my tumblr here.
There are a few pics that also haven't hit the internet yet, scattered through the book... I scanned one of Elrond and the beard silhouettes, too.
:)

(also, this is my first post here. Hi! I've actually been lurking every day since just after the movie was announced. I love this site!)
Edit: Linked to the tag that all the images are on, instead of my blog homepage, so it'd be easier to find.

(This post was edited by Olessan on Sep 22 2012, 4:32am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 22 2012, 8:41am

Post #5 of 21 (422 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! And thanks so much for linking these! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a fan of the picture of Elrond ... he's ... ever so slightly smiling ...

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 22 2012, 9:08am

Post #6 of 21 (408 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

is there also a description of Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf and so on?

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 22 2012, 12:08pm

Post #7 of 21 (421 views)
Shortcut
Linking to scans of those descriptions is more than enough [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a fine line between sharing a few things from a book and scanning entire sections that crosses over to violating copyright. Since we respect copyrights here (and their owners' attorneys Laugh), we'd rather not see any more links to scans from the book posted, or linked to, here.

By the way, welcome Olessan! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 22 2012, 12:09pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 22 2012, 1:13pm

Post #8 of 21 (373 views)
Shortcut
I finally got my own copy today!! / [In reply to] Can't Post

narflet
Bree

Sep 22 2012, 2:22pm

Post #9 of 21 (328 views)
Shortcut
Hurrah! Glad you finally got one! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2012, 2:31pm

Post #10 of 21 (355 views)
Shortcut
Ordered both the Sibley and Fisher movie books [In reply to] Can't Post

Sadly they won't be here until November 9th Frown

Olessan
Bree

Sep 22 2012, 2:54pm

Post #11 of 21 (318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's a fine line between sharing a few things from a book and scanning entire sections that crosses over to violating copyright. Since we respect copyrights here (and their owners' attorneys Laugh), we'd rather not see any more links to scans from the book posted, or linked to, here.

By the way, welcome Olessan! Smile

Thank you! It's amazing the kind of community there is here. I'm not familiar with this type of forum interface, and usually hang around on VBulletin architecture, though, so I'm still getting used to it, hah.

And exactly; I originally wasn't going to post these (I don't usually scan books I buy, I find it uncomfortable), and was originally considering just typing up the Dwarves' profiles instead of scanning, and I'm not going to post any more. Thorin's has already online for a few weeks now, though, so, I guess that gave me a bit of confidence (as well as three neat bookmarks I needed to photocopy so as not to cut the book!). x3
If you like, I can replace the link with typed-up profiles like I originally planned. =)

Olessan
Bree

Sep 22 2012, 2:54pm

Post #12 of 21 (322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
is there also a description of Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf and so on?

Mhm. Bilbo, Gandalf, and Thorin have their own two page spreads with a few new images each -- Thorin's has been online for some time now. There's Thranduil, of course, and Elrond and Gollum have a one-page profile as well. Nothing new there, except perhaps the text accompanying. :3
(Those pictures of Wargs and Goblins that leaked a few weeks ago are in there too.)

Basically, it's a fantastic book and definitely worth the $15! <3

Ref
Rivendell

Sep 22 2012, 3:07pm

Post #13 of 21 (347 views)
Shortcut
RE: Olessan [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanking thee! I love their individual crests - wonderfully Celtic.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented wow_genius

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 22 2012, 3:37pm

Post #14 of 21 (314 views)
Shortcut
No worries [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, the page or two you linked to is fine.

Glad you joined us here! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 22 2012, 4:01pm

Post #15 of 21 (325 views)
Shortcut
Its really sad...the Death of Copywrite.©.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Internet.
Killed it.

Any Intellectual Property
is Now..up For grabs?

Printing Presses are now becoming Obsolete
Newspapers..BookPublishers are getting
Layoffs..

Sometime soon there will be nothing left
you Own?

This transition from Paper to Digital is
"A Storm brewing on the Horizon"

FACE IT.
BOMBY

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 22 2012, 4:26pm

Post #16 of 21 (275 views)
Shortcut
kind of like how video killed the radio star [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ

Except that really, it didn't. Tongue
I still listen to the radio all the time and the two (video and radio) can work to mutually benefit each other - although that is a tough balance to keep up.

As for the internet and copyright, I see something similar happening.
Actuallly, it is easier to catch plagiarism now using things like turnitin.com. With the help of technology, many plagiarised dissertations have been retroactively caught and punished (or so my teacher told me). It is easier and faster to trace sources of things.
But the game is different. Just like power over what the public was permitted to hear was lost (or at least decentralized) with video ... power over what the public has the option to read is being lost - or at least decentralized.
It is possible to develop technology that resists the stealing of copyrighted material and that is actually being done now as we speak. It's just like an arms race, though. For each method of stopping the theft a new method of getting around that security pops up - rinse and repeat.
So there are less jobs and smaller percentages of the market share controlled by a select few organizations, but I think that many of those organizations will continue. But they may need to incorporate and/or consider the internet distribution methods and issues into what they do to survive. And where jobs and market share is lost in the physical publishing area, new jobs are created in software, website design, R&D, etc. Maybe it isn't always a complete balance of jobs out and jobs in.
Even for research publications, there may be less of a certain elevated society level publications available - but there are a lot more less high quality online journals (from what I am learning so far) so that it is a lot easier to "get published" but a lot harder to "get published in certain journals".

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 22 2012, 4:30pm

Post #17 of 21 (277 views)
Shortcut
Took a while, but well worth it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great just for the pictures.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 5:14pm

Post #18 of 21 (255 views)
Shortcut
Anything spoilery?// [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 22 2012, 5:17pm

Post #19 of 21 (268 views)
Shortcut
No, all the spoilers have been posted already [In reply to] Can't Post

I've not read it all yet as well. Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 5:44pm

Post #20 of 21 (276 views)
Shortcut
Shux// [In reply to] Can't Post

Amusings
The Shire

Sep 23 2012, 4:09pm

Post #21 of 21 (262 views)
Shortcut
Pre-Christmas treats! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm deliberately holding back on buying any of the visual companions/annuals etc. and going to get into the swing of it late November/early December as a pre-Christmas treat and also because it'll be so beautifully evocative of back in 2001-2003 when the LOTR films were released!

This Christmas is going to be awesome beyond words!

Trailer breakdown for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey now live!
http://www.wtfoosh.blogspot.co.uk/...09/test-article.html

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.