Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Goofballs

Cetautomatix
Bree

Sep 21 2012, 4:35pm

Post #1 of 10 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Goofballs Can't Post

I'm sure I'll make a lot of friends today but I think I might not be the only one the feeling the way I do.

Let me start off by saying I don't like comic relief characters all that much. In fact I don't like them at all. I think they spoil the whole threadline of any story.

I know why ''they'' put them there but still, I don't like them.

In the first trilogy, we had Peregrin and Meriadoc that were filling out these shoes (although not all the time I'll admit) and so, to some extent, Gimli the dwarf.

Now here's the question I ask myself. We now have thirteen dwarves in the new trilogy. THIRTEEN! and so far, from what I've seen, besides Thorin, it looks like we might end up with a comedy more than with action/drama-kinda-movie.

Of course there will be other more serious moments, I am sure. BUT we can't deny the fact that our merry bunch will steal most of the screening time, can we?

I hope I'm wrong about this. Really

Cet (you can now start throwing rocks)

Cet

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 5:02pm

Post #2 of 10 (500 views)
Shortcut
Let me ask you, [In reply to] Can't Post

When you go see a movie, say The Avengers, what is your expectation? Do you expect to see something on the dramatic levels of Iron Man and Thor, or are you expecting something different? Even if you were expecting something dramatic, did the first ten minutes change your view of what it would become? That's where The Hobbit lies. The fact of the matter is that the story is far more humorous than LotR, for several reasons. The first ten minutes will also, hopefully, reflect that. The marketing all ready is, showing us a grand action-adventure interspersed with large doses of humor. Whether or not it is humor that you like is open for you to judge. The fact of the matter is though that The Hobbit is going to be told in a substantially different way to LotR, thus you should not simply equate them as equal.

A character ceases becoming "comic relief" when he evolves beyond that purpose. Gimli was comic relief, yes, but he also did more than provide laughs. These characters will as well. Though the main purpose of Bombur as the story stands is to be a fat burden, we have also learned that he has his own interesting character traits. The biggest thing I think you have to recognize though is that this "trilogy" is to be seen as a single continuation. The evolution, the increase in drama, and the character's own journeys are to be encapsulating in a single piece that just happens to be divided into three. The first part is a very whimsical beginning of a journey into the unknown, facing dangers. The second part starts to become a bit more dire and serious. The final part evolves into a full on LotR type story, with great evils, divisions of factions, and betrayals all around. It relies on you whether you really want to see the earlier parts as a movie of their own. However, the comedy will be offset by drama, though perhaps not as much in the first film.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 21 2012, 5:03pm

Post #3 of 10 (391 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we will get more of a comedy rather than a drama with The Hobbit (thought, I'll note that the two aren't mutually exclusive). And I'm really looking forward to it! I was really heartened by the more comedic feel the trailer had.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 5:52pm

Post #4 of 10 (318 views)
Shortcut
No stones to throw [In reply to] Can't Post

In the first trilogy, we had Peregrin and Meriadoc that were filling out these shoes (although not all the time I'll admit) and so, to some extent, Gimli the dwarf.

To some extent? Gimli was RUINED in the movies. He was there to be short, make silly comments, and fall down a lot. Which leads into...

Now here's the question I ask myself. We now have thirteen dwarves in the new trilogy. THIRTEEN! and so far, from what I've seen, besides Thorin, it looks like we might end up with a comedy more than with action/drama-kinda-movie.

Unless the trailer and Gimli are outliers, I think PJ will make many of the dwarves comic relief. It would be fine to use the intended comic relief that Tolkien provides in Bombur...but PJ looks as if he will let all of them get in on the action.

It's a fair issue to be worried about. I'm fine with comedy in certain places, but if we're getting it in Goblin-town and Gollum's cave then I'm going to be disappointed.

Macfeast
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 6:04pm

Post #5 of 10 (317 views)
Shortcut
I share your dislike of comic relief characters. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's the only character archetype that I simply cannot stand. I love genuinely funny characters, where the humor is derived from the character itself, but characters shoe-horned into the comic relief role, characters that time and again are put into situations that makes him/her the butt of the joke (despite the presence of other characters that are no less immune to these kind of situations), I cannot stand. A character slipping on a banana peel once or twice, I do not mind, but the same character slipping over and over again, while his companions are saved the embarrassment only because they are "serious" characters, feels so obvious, so artificial, that it just takes me out of the story.

As for the Hobbit, it is a much more humorous tale than LOTR, and the movie should reflect that. I for one am looking very much forward to seeing Martin Freeman bring Bilbo to life, and I expect he will bring us quite a few laughs. As for the dwarves, I expect humor from them as well, but I do hope it's more along the lines of witty dialogue, and their character traits shining through, rather than what we got from Gimli; Burping, falling over, jokes about his height, slapstick, and what-not.
I loved the humor we saw in the alternate trailer endings (whereas the primary ending showcased the kind of humor I'd rather be without); Balin gently teasing Bilbo about his sword, Bofur's "talk first, think later"-approach to Bilbo asking about the incineration referred to in his contract, and the dwarves taking bets on whether or not Bilbo would show up. It was funny, without being so at the expense of these characters; Instead, it managed to provide humor, and establish the characteristics of these dwarves, at the same time.

So yeah, I want comedy (when appropriate), not comic relief. I want humorous characters, the humor being a part of these characters inherent traits and characteristics, rather than humor at the expense of these characters, random events happening to the same character/s, over and over, just for the sake of a laugh.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Sep 21 2012, 6:10pm)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 6:33pm

Post #6 of 10 (298 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit is a comedy [In reply to] Can't Post

and a hilarious one at that.

There are not many action-adventure fantasies that share this quality!

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 6:48pm

Post #7 of 10 (308 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimil had a lot of heart, I really never doubted his characterization in the films.

ALSO: I feel AUJ will have more in common with Avengers funny action packed adventure and less like Dark Knight Rises or even the original LOTR.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

dalecooper
Rivendell

Sep 21 2012, 6:50pm

Post #8 of 10 (285 views)
Shortcut
Comic relief characters are often added to blockbuster action movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, "The Hobbit" is already very comedic in tone, and the dwarves (except Thorin), and even much of the time Bilbo, are comedic characters. If the movies are true to the book at all, then yes, all those dwarves are going to be funny. One reason Gimli in LOTR never bothered me is because he's somewhat close in conception to the funnier dwarves of "The Hobbit."

PJ will add his own spin and lots of jokes - after all, there's lots of screen time to fill. But if you read the book closely, you'll notice the dwarves are constantly bumbling and fumbling, being the butt of beard jokes and fat jokes, being physically ridiculous (like when a group of them fall on top of Thorin in Bag End), complaining (like every time one of them has to carry Bilbo or Bofur), falling asleep for extended periods, etc. Basically not until the Battle of Five Armies is any of the non-Thorin dwarves taken particularly seriously.

imin
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 7:41pm

Post #9 of 10 (248 views)
Shortcut
oh gosh i hope not! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I feel AUJ will have more in common with Avengers funny action packed adventure.

I am not asking for seriousness on the level of lotr trilogy but i want it to be something more than the terrible jokes from Avengers.

I think it will have more drama and action than people are currently thinking, with (hopefully) subtle humour sprinkled over the film, giving the whimsical feel people are looking for.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 8:31pm

Post #10 of 10 (451 views)
Shortcut
awwww [In reply to] Can't Post

Avengers is by no means a perfect film and has a handful of cheesy jokes, BUT

It was a perfect blend of comedy, drama and action. It was light, but wasn't afraid to go into the deep end without being a debbie downer (cough dark knight rises cough).

The fact is, The Hobbit is a children's story. Why are we so afraid to be silly? Does that make it any less valuable?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.