Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TH Hobbiton Vs. LOTR Hobbiton
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lembas_muncher
The Shire

Sep 21 2012, 4:29pm

Post #1 of 37 (1742 views)
Shortcut
TH Hobbiton Vs. LOTR Hobbiton Can't Post

Thoughts? (btw, It's about time..a first post since the First Age of Lurking. Smile )

(This post was edited by lembas_muncher on Sep 21 2012, 4:37pm)

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Sep 21 2012, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 37 (823 views)
Shortcut
love the new look [In reply to] Can't Post

feels much more vibrant, colorful, and updated. The sky, whether they added that in post or not looks great. It also feels like a different season than from LOTR. Its great. Cant wait to see more of the shire.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 5:05pm

Post #3 of 37 (782 views)
Shortcut
green tint [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing the screencap on the right is from the blu-ray with the greent tint, so it's not really a fair comparison. It makes the shire look so dark.

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 5:15pm

Post #4 of 37 (784 views)
Shortcut
Hobbiton [In reply to] Can't Post

The shot from LOTR (above) was one of my favorites from the LOTR trilogy: the audience's first view of Hobbiton.

I mentioned on another thread that I had the good fortune of visiting the Hobbiton movie set last November only two days after it had reopened (and only four days after PJ's film crew finished there.) It was a real thrill to find this particular spot and have my picture taken there. It is one of the first locations you see on the tour. One of the things that surprised me when I came across this cut in the hill is that it is much smaller than we are led to believe from the film. The LOTR shot makes it seem like it was as wide as a road since we see the cart apparently coming through it. In reality it is probably no wider than four or five feet at the most.

Any LOTR fan planning a trip to New Zealand will find the Hobbiton movie set to be one of the highlights of your trip. You literally walk right into the world you see on film. Or to put it another way, you'll realize Jackson used NO CGI in shooting Hobbiton.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 21 2012, 5:39pm

Post #5 of 37 (641 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I just missed you at Hobbiton, BB---we were there last December, just two weeks after filming stopped. There were lots of tools, teacups, and other props still lying around. And bullfrogs were croaking away in the pond!

We were also there in 2008, when all the facades were simple white-painted plywood, when Bagshot Row was a pile of rubble, when the Green Dragon and the mill were not there at all.

The new version of Hobbiton has been built to last, I'm glad to say. Yes, it is well worth a visit if you're in New Zealand. Beautiful and moving place, so real you'll be looking around for Bilbo and Frodo.

I was delighted to see in this new trailer that Bilbo leaves town through that same cutting where Gandalf arrives.

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 5:59pm

Post #6 of 37 (609 views)
Shortcut
Hobbiton [In reply to] Can't Post

Lily Fairbairn wrote: I was delighted to see in this new trailer that Bilbo leaves town through that same cutting where Gandalf arrives.

Me too. In fact that shot was the number one highlight for me.

It was almost surreal to walk around Bag Shot Row and think, "omigawd, I'm walking around in Hobbiton!!!!" When we visited BagEnd, Gandalf's staff was slaying upon Bilbo's bench.

The only major disappointment was that the Green Dragon wasn't ready to be opened yet when we were there.

imin
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 5:59pm

Post #7 of 37 (606 views)
Shortcut
ones a cloudy day and the other is a sunny day [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer The Hobbit shot over the LOTR one, but as others have said i think the LOTR might be from the bluray with green tint issues.

TH screenshot looks more natural and has more interest by having more colour rather than different shades of green.

I loved that shot from LOTR though when watched in the cinema - i cant remember it being that green then, but if it were then TH can only look better, judging by these screencaps before they get took down for being too large Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 6:10pm

Post #8 of 37 (581 views)
Shortcut
Looks great! And so similar! Love it! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

adnan
Rivendell

Sep 21 2012, 8:31pm

Post #9 of 37 (514 views)
Shortcut
About that tint... [In reply to] Can't Post

I own the LOTR Blu Ray, and I have to say the green tint shown in the picture here is highly exaggerated to say the least. I dont know what the source is, but thankfully my LOTR blu ray has no such tint!Cool

Rivendell

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 8:43pm

Post #10 of 37 (549 views)
Shortcut
The LOTR shot looks real and authentic [In reply to] Can't Post

While the Hobbit one looks fake and airbrushed.

Its hard to pinpoint, but there's something sugary and Kinkaid about the new aesthetic. Not digging it at all.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 8:53pm

Post #11 of 37 (548 views)
Shortcut
Does it look fake, because it is so real (and crisp)? [In reply to] Can't Post

If that makes sense? Crazy

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 21 2012, 8:53pm

Post #12 of 37 (516 views)
Shortcut
Flat [In reply to] Can't Post

The image from The Hobbit appears to be using a longer lens and has lost much of the depth perception.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 10:02pm

Post #13 of 37 (476 views)
Shortcut
I prefer the hobbit version [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the warmer colour and the various tones of the grass from yellows to deep greens. I also like the pink coloured sky, and the details, you can see nearly every blade of grass.This one shot gives me hope that the cinematic look of LOTR wont be lost. i have to say I am not an expert in film making or anything, but I work with colour/pigments/paintings so I repond to film as I would to a painting.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 10:29pm

Post #14 of 37 (449 views)
Shortcut
Any way to get an HD version of the LOTR picture? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's throwing me off - it's too low quality.

Besides that, though, I like how in TH picture there's no road, but by the time of the LOTR there is one. It's a nice touch that shows time has passed and things develop.

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 11:42pm

Post #15 of 37 (454 views)
Shortcut
I think the severe green was only in the original batch of FOTR BRs [In reply to] Can't Post

as my version is not so green - though is still "greener" than the Hobbit version - but then, it may be that they haven't done the final tint run to the Hobbit yet and what we see is the "raw" version. Something more to watch for when the movie comes out...and thereby miss the movie staring at the details...

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 11:50pm

Post #16 of 37 (435 views)
Shortcut
'severe green' describes the unfiltered NZ hills I visited on North Island. [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 12:02am

Post #17 of 37 (397 views)
Shortcut
Did someone once say [In reply to] Can't Post

That RED Epic cameras tend to flatten the image?

If that is the case, this may be one of the reasons why I am disliking some of these images...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 12:04am

Post #18 of 37 (414 views)
Shortcut
Two things [In reply to] Can't Post

1. There's too much detail in the distance. Distant things get less detailed. For this reason, the image looks flat and unreal/
2. It seems that PJ has added some sort of "glow" filter to the shots, which give it an almost Rivendell-from-FOTR aesthetic (which I never liked).

Ah well. It's possible it will look quite different when its all finished.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 12:24am

Post #19 of 37 (385 views)
Shortcut
I thought the trailer looked 3D in places [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, it seemed as though many of the characters stood out from the background, almost like cardboard cut outs. It was very distracting to me and I hope it's not indicative of the final film.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 12:28am

Post #20 of 37 (380 views)
Shortcut
Is it possible [In reply to] Can't Post

That these cameras make everything in focus? Then, when the images are in 3D, your eyes can pick out what to focus on, and everything else becomes blurry?

If this kind of technology is possible, it might go a long way toward making 3D more realistic. I mean, in real life we can choose what to focus on, and I hope that's where 3D films are going, if they're here to stay.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 12:29am

Post #21 of 37 (374 views)
Shortcut
Do we know [In reply to] Can't Post

If 2D prints of films filmed in 3D bear any mark of the 3D original?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 12:31am

Post #22 of 37 (360 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea how that works// [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2012, 2:00am

Post #23 of 37 (346 views)
Shortcut
That's not possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not with the current technology. The director decides where the focus is.

In Reply To
That these cameras make everything in focus? Then, when the images are in 3D, your eyes can pick out what to focus on, and everything else becomes blurry?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 22 2012, 2:03am

Post #24 of 37 (334 views)
Shortcut
Well it should be! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2012, 3:48am

Post #25 of 37 (327 views)
Shortcut
The Green Tint Batch [In reply to] Can't Post

It is not batch-related. The Green Tint overlay persists.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.