Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy Friday and happy Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:00pm

Post #1 of 40 (432 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday and happy Fiesta! Can't Post

Hullo, everyone! Well, the big weekend is here: World Hobbit Day! And, today marks the 75th anniversary of the publication of "The Hobbit." Woohooo!

Be sure to check out various boards throughout the weekend, starting tonight, for lots of fun! Also check out the post on the Home Page on events around the world if you're also interested in celebrating 'non-virtually' with other fans. But, for now, grab a virtual drink, a virtual snack and a virtual comfy chair and let us know how life is treating you!

*kicks juke box* "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" by Leonard Nimoy fills the room (yes - I *had* to go there) LaughLaugh

p.s. my stupid company rental computer blue-screened 1/2 hour ago, so no guarantees on how long I'll be able to tend bar. If I disappear, forge on without me! Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 21 2012, 4:02pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 21 2012, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 40 (154 views)
Shortcut
Happy Happy Hobbitty Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately I won't be here to participate in tomorrow's games and all---I'll be a guest at a science fiction/fantasy convention in Dallas. I asked them to put me on The Hobbit movie panel, but no, it's scheduled for tomorrow night, after The Gaffer and I head back home. Ah well. I do get to do a Sherlock Holmes panel, so can mention Martin Freeman Wink

I'll grab my usual frappuccino and get back to work.

Cheers all around!

*stuffs tip jar with antihistamines---it's ragweed season here, sniffle, sneeze*

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 4:11pm

Post #3 of 40 (145 views)
Shortcut
Some Fridays I just don't make it here [In reply to] Can't Post

and today I'm right here just waiting for the door to open! I have family visiting this week, my younger brother and his daughter are here until Monday, all the way from Massachusetts. I haven't seen either of them for a few years! Then we will all go to my sister's place on Saltspring Island for a few more days. Yesterday we went for a hike and my niece did some geo-cacheing, which she loves. The weather's been great since the jetstream is way up north right now and keeping us in the sunshine. They want to do some fishing while they're here, so here's hoping we get a salmon for the barbecue.

I think I need extra coffee today to keep up with the youngsters!

Happy Tolkien weekend to everyone!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:16pm

Post #4 of 40 (140 views)
Shortcut
I'll have a beer please Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

before Torn goes into slo-mo again!

Glad its friday - the weekend may involve catching up on rest!

Cheers all

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:16pm

Post #5 of 40 (126 views)
Shortcut
Very cool, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

The convention sounds like fun, and even more fun to be a guest - even if not on the Hobbit panel.

Yes, allergy season is horrid here too, but thanks to Allegra, liveable for moi.

Have a great time at the convention! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Sep 21 2012, 4:18pm

Post #6 of 40 (163 views)
Shortcut
Happy Hobbit Day, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly, the right day for a pint of good ale!

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:18pm

Post #7 of 40 (133 views)
Shortcut
Busy, as usual, Elberbeth [In reply to] Can't Post

What a nice visit you have planned. You really know how to entertain guests. Laugh

Have a great time, and here's hoping for that salmon for you!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 4:20pm

Post #8 of 40 (143 views)
Shortcut
A drive-by slurpy please!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Howdy Altaira and all! Just buzzing through while I finish up on some last-minute party plans for WORLD HOBBIT DAY!

This is gonna be FUN as only TORn can do it :)

Thanks for taking such good care of us, Altaira. Good luck with your *ahem* rental from work. Those are ALWAYS top notch ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!

zzzzooooommmm.....

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 40 (136 views)
Shortcut
Happy Hobbit Day! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much planned again this weekend, aside from a bit of reading, and probably doing some stuff for my website. :) (Oh, and the new episode of Doctor Who, too, of course. :D )

I'll have a Fall Usual, please, Altaira (since it's gotten a bit chilly here lately)-- thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:26pm

Post #10 of 40 (131 views)
Shortcut
Hengist-sized beer, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

True. One never knows when the server will start struggling again. Maybe I should give it a beer too? Lol. Laugh

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:28pm

Post #11 of 40 (126 views)
Shortcut
Hey there LR! Nice to see you at Fiesta! [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, it's so nice to see you, drinks are on the house for you today. Smile

I hope life is treating you well. Enjoy Hobbit Day and the weekend!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:29pm

Post #12 of 40 (141 views)
Shortcut
No - not the Blue Screen of Death! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was nasty of them, to rent you a 'puter with a goblin in it! Shocked

The Nimoy "Ballad" is really kinda cute, actually...Angelic

The 75th Anniversary: Give Your Hobbit a Hug today! Cool

Could I have a large mug of coffee-to-go, please, Altaira, we're setting up for a Book Fair for next week and I expect the PTA moms to be back from lunch soon...so I'll be getting into the festivities here once the weekend "officially" starts!

Have a relaxing weekend, Altaira! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 4:30pm

Post #13 of 40 (123 views)
Shortcut
Zzzzzoooommm [In reply to] Can't Post

Is right! You're like the energizer bunny, gramma! Have a great weekend!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:31pm

Post #14 of 40 (126 views)
Shortcut
Who's that? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

So what do you think of the new series so far?

Enjoy the weekend, Evey! Cool

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:32pm

Post #15 of 40 (165 views)
Shortcut
*holds out sippy slurpee cup as gramma runs by* [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to see all the festivities, fun and games this weekend. Thank YOU for coordinating it all.

*hugs* HeartSmile

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 4:35pm

Post #16 of 40 (171 views)
Shortcut
I've got to brace myself [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter & granddaughter are leaving NC this evening & should arrive in MD early tomorrow. They're moving in again. Wish me luck!

I think I'll have a mug a beer, me hearties, can't seem to stop talking like a pirate this week.

Have a great weekend all!Pirate

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:35pm

Post #17 of 40 (140 views)
Shortcut
Breaks out the hot chocolate [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's like here, the days are still acting like summer, but the nights aren't! ShockedLaugh

*slides hot chocolate and miruvor down the bar*

Have a good one, Evey!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:36pm

Post #18 of 40 (133 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

The young'uns keep us "young", don't they! Laugh

Geo-caching is fun. I'm amazed at places I've discovered the trying-to-be-hidden boxes. My youngest made her own stamp, when she was doing a bit of this a few years ago. How many caches did your niece find?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:37pm

Post #19 of 40 (127 views)
Shortcut
Best of luck [In reply to] Can't Post

and lots of *hugs*, sherlock! Crazy

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 4:43pm

Post #20 of 40 (139 views)
Shortcut
LOL-- Who, indeed? ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my gosh, I'm *loving* the season so far! :D It's really been pushing all the right buttons for me. For one thing, the episodes are more like movies than ever-- the three episodes that are out so far were all filmed, directed, and edited in a very cinematic fashion. For another, there's something about these episodes that's really reminding me of the David Tennant (+ Russell T. Davies-produced) days, which I haven't quite figured out yet (but I'm sure not complaining! ;D ). And the humor, stories, and little plot threads weaving throughout have all been great, too. (Also, the opening episode is now my favorite Matt-Smith-season-opener.)

So, yeah, I'm really enjoying this (...though I know that *next* weekend I'll probably be crying, LOL... but it'll still be good, even if it's heartbreaking! :P ).

Hope you have a great weekend, too, dernwyn! :)

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:44pm

Post #21 of 40 (136 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they're a wee bit unreliable [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to prefer them because if anything happens to your computer, they send on out the next day with a postage paid return. However, I just did that and *both* the rentals are cranky old beasts. I'll send the worst one back and start the process all over again.Crazy

Enjoy the weekend, dernwyn. I'm sure we'll cross paths for "Hobbit weekend." Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2012, 4:46pm

Post #22 of 40 (143 views)
Shortcut
*Puts a tall, Rohirrim dude on either side of sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

They should be able to brace you up nicely, if needed. WinkCool

Have a wonderful weekend, sherlock!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 4:47pm

Post #23 of 40 (124 views)
Shortcut
Ha, it's not even that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...sure, the nights are cold, but even the days are a bit chilly too, LOL. (Seriously, there was like no transition-- one day it was blazing hot, and then the next you suddenly need a jacket or sweatshirt on! :P )

*Takes cup gratefully* Thanks-- and, again, I hope you have a great weekend! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 4:49pm

Post #24 of 40 (182 views)
Shortcut
What goes good with TMI? [In reply to] Can't Post

'Cause I don't care how itty-bitty can't-be-measured the amount of released radiation supposedly is --- NO MOAR THREE MILE ISLAND INCIDENTS!!!11!

Since there's no apparent need to evacuate the area, I'll have something calming to prepare for my preferred kind of big day, please! Maybe chammomile is hobbity enough? [Too bad Pippinfest is next weekend 'round these parts! But I did read another chapter of The Hobbit to & with second hobbity cousin last evening, by request.]

I've completed not-MY-assignment on time, and also have the day off from afterschool-care. ...Yet, here I am on TORn! =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Mar
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 4:52pm

Post #25 of 40 (164 views)
Shortcut
Well met my friends! [In reply to] Can't Post

So good to be here on such an auspicious occasion. We forgive you for the song Altaira. Summer is really holding here in So. Oregon. Blackberries abound and pears, apples, plums etc. are dripping off the trees. Garden looks great still and leaves are just starting to turn for glorious fall display. Well wishes and hugs to all my sibs. Will grab some green tea and head to yoga. Miss you all in my busy life. Cheers.

An ill-humored person is a prisoner at the mercy of an enemy from which it is difficult to escape.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.