Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
** World Hobbit Day ** Get your party hats and then tell us about your favorite Hobbit edition or illustration

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 21 2012, 3:46pm

Views: 520
Shortcut
** World Hobbit Day ** Get your party hats and then tell us about your favorite Hobbit edition or illustration Can't Post

PARTY HATS:
On this, the 75th Anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit, we commence a celebration. What kind of celebration would be if we didn't have party hats... otherwise known as avatars and footers.

If you want a footer like mine carrying one of 75 different Hobbit book covers from across time and countries/languages, jump to this post for information on how to get one.

If you want an avatar from a collection of 75 created from Hobbit book illustrations, jump to this post for information on how to get one.

My usual habit of displaying magpie avatars is temporarily suspended to show Klaus Ensikat's illustration of a raven from the second German The Hobbit-edition of 1971. If anyone here has this edition, I'd love to know if this raven is identified as Rońc.

With our party hats (and slippers?) in place... let's talk Hobbit book editions and illustrations.

FAVORITE HOBBIT BOOK EDITIONS
Tell us about the copy/copies of the Hobbit you own or have read or maybe one you've just lusted after. If you own multiple copies, do your own conversions of the question below to indicate plural. Choose one or two to focus on if you own too many to discuss.
  • what language is/was it in
  • what cover does it have. If you can find an image of it on the web, link to it. If you can't, or don't have the time, just describe it. (see links below)
  • did it have illustrations
  • is it old, valuable, or otherwise noteworthy
  • fill in the corners as you like: - favorite memories of reading it? was it a beloved gift? did you save forever to buy an expensive edition? do you have fond memories of reading it? _________?

FAVORITE HOBBIT ILLUSTRATIONS

When I created the bank of 75 Hobbit book illustration avatars, I tried to confine it to illustrations actually used in a published book. (although I think one or two that weren't actual book illustrations may have crept in there). But for this discussion, let's open it up to any Hobbit illustration.... even your own. This is a free range discussion. Identify the artist if you can and basic info on whether it was used in a book or some other application (calendar? game board?). We could even open it up to forms of artwork beyond illustration.

POSTING IMAGES - a reminder

There are guidelines (rules, really) about how large an image embedded in a post here can be. The limit is measured in two ways: pixel dimensions and KB size. If you want to know more about this, follow the link in my footer. But this is a fun day and who wants to work hard at anything so, if you are in doubt about whether the image you want to show people is 'legal' to post inline... just link to it. It makes it easier for everyone. :-)

SITES DOCUMENTING VARIOUS EDITIONS OF "THE HOBBIT"

I used the following sites quite a lot while preparing the avatars and footers for this celebration. You might enjoy browsing them and you might find the copy of the book you own at one of these sites.

Rolozo Tolkien - illustration gallery for a variety of Tolkien's books

Tolkien Collector's Guide

Hobbit.ca : Book Collection / Visual Library

Hobbits of the World

The Hobbit Hunter

Babel Hobbits

H.O.B.B.I.T.I.S.H ! : Hobbitish Or " Bilbo Baggins" Illustrated", The International Sketched Hobbit.

Elrond's Library

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Subject User Time
** World Hobbit Day ** Get your party hats and then tell us about your favorite Hobbit edition or illustration Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 21 2012, 3:46pm
    I only own one copy, One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Sep 21 2012, 4:12pm
        This was the first edition I got! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 21 2012, 6:07pm
            Neat! One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Sep 22 2012, 3:33am
    Favorite Hobbit book editions SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Sep 21 2012, 7:16pm
    I picked up at a garage sale silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Sep 21 2012, 11:05pm
    Dare I say it? weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 22 2012, 3:04am
        Now that I've A Babo'd myself, I'll answer the question! weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 22 2012, 3:14am
            Hobbits are indeed resilient, aren't they? dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 22 2012, 3:34am
                now, let's just see if I can figure out how to do it again sometime! weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 22 2012, 3:38am
            Holy Toledo... One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Sep 22 2012, 3:37am
                ha! well, you know what this means... weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 22 2012, 4:04am
                    Certainly can't argue with that! // One Ringer Send a private message to One Ringer Sep 22 2012, 12:47pm
    Five, and then some! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 22 2012, 3:07am
    My hobbity journey grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Sep 22 2012, 3:35pm
        That is...awe-inspiring. dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 22 2012, 5:04pm
    my Hobbit history Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 22 2012, 6:44pm
    Refreshing your browser while viewing posts with footers in them could prove enlightening. :-) // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 22 2012, 9:29pm
        I just noticed that! Neat! Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Sep 22 2012, 10:18pm
        I've only just noticed that they've changed! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 23 2012, 10:09pm
    The copy i have always wanted imin Send a private message to imin Sep 23 2012, 4:55pm
    Take a look at the entire collection of footers Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 24 2012, 12:35am
        Just when I thought you'd outdone yourself grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Sep 24 2012, 12:51am
        Gosh, you think of everything! SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Sep 24 2012, 1:56am
        *Mods up*! Three Cheers for Magpie for helping us get dressed up for the occasion! weaver Send a private message to weaver Sep 24 2012, 4:49am
    Hmm geordie Send a private message to geordie Sep 24 2012, 12:13pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.