Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Imdb Disappointed Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 10:23am

Post #151 of 209 (913 views)
Shortcut
hey Avnar [In reply to] Can't Post

Its strange but I was thinking exactly the same thing as you about the wolf in Neverending story. That was done yonks ago in animatronics but it was still quite scary even today you get a sense of menace from it, and its scary to think of it tracking Atreyu. I expected to be mind boggled by these Hobbit wargs. Its just symptomatic of my overall disappointment I guess. I also noticed Gollum doing a very modern urban-cool head movement when he told Bilbo he was going to eat him whole, it looked like something from Glee, weird.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 10:52am

Post #152 of 209 (918 views)
Shortcut
Dear Macfalk [In reply to] Can't Post

what do you mean by 'in moderation? thats quite an odd statement. A forum by definition is for people to come together from all spectrums of Tolkien/PJ interest from the most enthusiastic to the most intransigent purist and everything in between. Debate is the name of the game, thats why we are here. You have signed up for other peoples heart felt opinions, and in a democracy with free speech, you have to let folks express themselves. If people are disappointed its not a threat to those who love everything, its not moaning, its wanting to share concerns and I think everyone who posts here loves Tolkien with a passion thats why things get passionate. I suggest avoiding threads that are likely to make you feel doubts and disquietude. I understand that too much negativity is wearing to the soul, it corrodes slowly, but I think people here are not trying to promote negativity or disseminate bad vibes, merely express concerns and try to understand why exactly they are feeling let down. There is so much invested interest in these films, I am very afraid that I will sit there in the dark of the cinema feeling a creeping sense of yes, I said it, disappointment. I hope not as I am an optimistic glass half-full person not given to negativity in life as its far too short for all that. At the end of the day these films are pure entertainment meant for us to escape our everyday lives and dive back into Middle Earth once again. I hope we can for all of us.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Sep 20 2012, 10:55am)

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 1:02pm

Post #153 of 209 (872 views)
Shortcut
Let the thread be [In reply to] Can't Post

If people want to vent and have a place where all the negative opinions can be held leave it be. Honestly, it allows for them to collect in a space while other threads have a nice balance of pro/con. If you can tell a thread is a bit over the top negative then avoid it.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:22pm

Post #154 of 209 (869 views)
Shortcut
Gmork is perfect. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Its strange but I was thinking exactly the same thing as you about the wolf in Neverending story. That was done yonks ago in animatronics but it was still quite scary even today you get a sense of menace from it, and its scary to think of it tracking Atreyu. I expected to be mind boggled by these Hobbit wargs. Its just symptomatic of my overall disappointment I guess. I also noticed Gollum doing a very modern urban-cool head movement when he told Bilbo he was going to eat him whole, it looked like something from Glee, weird.

Scary dude Gmork... Cool

Probably my favourite film as a kid!

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:31pm

Post #155 of 209 (862 views)
Shortcut
Dude [In reply to] Can't Post

I came on this thread because I'm excited about The Hobbit and I wanted to converse with other people who are excited. I had no idea this thread was full of people who hate the films. So, yeah... bit of a downer.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Macfeast
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:55pm

Post #156 of 209 (854 views)
Shortcut
"Hate the films"? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a bit of a misnomer. Most people in this thread seem to be expressing disappointment over the fact that this one trailer, and/or various parts of it, was not to their liking; That's a far cry from "hating the films".

I loved the trailer, but I sympathise with those who didn't, and they have a right to express their views, as well. Calling it "hate" is a misrepresentation of what they're saying, and extremely unfair, I say.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Sep 20 2012, 2:04pm)

Jettorex
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 2:20pm

Post #157 of 209 (835 views)
Shortcut
disapointed with the trolls and the Goblin King [In reply to] Can't Post

Trolls: not how I imagined them at all. In the book they are more"human" like. Here they are like the tortoise head cave troll from LOTR-More animal like. And whats with the tortoise heads? The trolls all look like they have turtle faces. And they look nearly naked. I was hoping for more detail-some sort of troll clothes, more adornmants-MORE PERSONALITY. Hopefully they will still talk.

Goblin King-same thing. He looks naked. I pictured the Goblin king with some sort of kingish attire-Garish robes, adornments of some kind-huge ridiculous crown-again was hoping for more detail and personality.
(i liked the idea in a picture I saw of a necklace of skulls and bones).

They appear, at least in the trailers, all rather bland to me.

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 4:11pm

Post #158 of 209 (804 views)
Shortcut
Expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I came on this thread because I'm excited about The Hobbit and I wanted to converse with other people who are excited. I had no idea this thread was full of people who hate the films. So, yeah... bit of a downer.

This is "The Official Disappointed Thread" and you expected excitement but not disappointment and a downer? Excitement is what you got, but, really, expecting it to be positive given the title is beyond the pale.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 4:48pm

Post #159 of 209 (801 views)
Shortcut
Dude [In reply to] Can't Post

we cant 'hate the films' because we havent seen them yet. and I dont think I will hate them, I will probably like bits and not like bits, like I did in LOTR.

But on reflection the first trailer was pretty good, and the videoblogs were great. They gave a real sense of hope and excitement to the whole process. They are all obviously talented enthusiastic people who make these films, and I salute them for their hard work and dedication. My only concern is, and its my opinion, that the last trailer lacked any discernable Middle Earth atmosphere, due undoubtedly to the crappy generic music, and that this lack of atmosphere put me into a negative spin which I am trying to get over asap. The other concern was comedy. Now I love comedic moments and there are different types, the comedy I saw was straying a bit too far into the slapstick overly obvious crowd pleasing type. We know Tolkiens humour was gentle and subtle not in your face and 'ironic'. There is way too much reliance on cgi and its kind of distracting. part from that I am happy to wait and see the films. kinda.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 4:55pm

Post #160 of 209 (792 views)
Shortcut
yup me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink I still hum that Limahl music in the bath. Neverendingstooooorrrreeeeeee la la la la laaaaaaaa! it drives Celeborn nuts. Blush

Solicitr
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 5:10pm

Post #161 of 209 (784 views)
Shortcut
Plus ca change [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
contemptuous, unfunny, and wholly inaccurate parody of people's real views on this trailer.

"Thorin's eye's are too blue! Radagast's robe is too brown! There a stone giants that are in the book but I'm going to complain about PJ including them anyway!"

It's the same strawman the Jackson fanboyz have been flogging since LR came out: they seem to have no conception that "it's just not Tolkien" is a much broader and deeper observation than some geekish obsession with trivia. PJ simply doesn't understand his material; he could stay out of trouble in the LR if and only if he stuck very closely to the book, because his independent additions were transplanted from his own entirely alien sensibility.

I have a love-hate relationship with the first trilogy: in a charitable mood I'd rate it 50/50 good/bad. But all I'm seeing in relation to Hobbit is an amplification of the bad: PJ's adolescent-mindedness and failure ever to "get" Tolkien, the director of Brain Dead and Meet the Freebles indulging his puerile tastes, till we get a non-stop barrage of that side of Jackson that gave us skull avalanches and and teetering staircases and Brego the Wonder Horse and fart jokes.

Imagine, if you will, Professor Tolkien's reaction to Radagast the poop-spattered hobo.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Sep 20 2012, 5:33pm

Post #162 of 209 (781 views)
Shortcut
You would think PJ had set fire to Tolkien's gravestone.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....judging by the reaction on here.

"THIS FILM WILL BE TERRIBLE AND PJ HAS RUINED TOLKIEN FOREVER BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!!!"

Lol how everyone has already made up their minds on the film based on a two minute trailer. Laugh

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 5:47pm

Post #163 of 209 (770 views)
Shortcut
Representative [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not entirely unreasonable to believe that the two trailers thus far represent what either Jackson, the studio, or both see as the best of the film. And if that's the best they have, and you are disappointed, it carries little hope. From their point of view.

imin
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 7:07pm

Post #164 of 209 (742 views)
Shortcut
are you laughing at people who already think its going to be great? [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt it. I think, everyone is entitled to their opinion and this thread is one to express disappointment in the trailer. Comments like this can just come across as thinking you are better than others.

People can be disappointed in something like this, have there expectations lowered and then go in thinking the hobbit is not going to be much to talk about, then get blown away by how awesome it was. Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 8:09pm

Post #165 of 209 (712 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, let's all guess what the late (for almost 40 years now) professor would have thought about that! Radagast with bird droppings in his hair! What's next? A talking purse?

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 8:13pm

Post #166 of 209 (713 views)
Shortcut
There is nothing official about this thread. // [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 8:21pm

Post #167 of 209 (884 views)
Shortcut
Official [In reply to] Can't Post

That's because an admin changed the title of the thread even though "Official" - not the improperly uncapitalized "IMDB" acronym - formerly in the title was clearly a humorous device and not any sort of fraudulent claim. I hope you're not being intentionally obtuse.

Solicitr
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 8:22pm

Post #168 of 209 (890 views)
Shortcut
One doesn't have to guess [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yeah, let's all guess what the late (for almost 40 years now) professor would have thought about that! Radagast with bird droppings in his hair! What's next? A talking purse?

All one has to do is read his collected letters and other writings.

Calmandcloudless
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 8:39pm

Post #169 of 209 (876 views)
Shortcut
As someone who doesn't currently have access to all of Tolkien's collected writings... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'd be grateful for any quotes that pinpoint what his position would be regarding Radagast, and the ways in which the character's physical appearance here departs from his [Tolkien's] own vision. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 9:03pm

Post #170 of 209 (878 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Please show me the letters and other writings where JRR Tolkien specifically states that Radagast looks wrong in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit from 2012. There has been some talks about JRRT having a time machine now and then, but I never took those rumours serious until you confirmed them. Thanks!

Solicitr
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 9:36pm

Post #171 of 209 (865 views)
Shortcut
Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...I'd be grateful for any quotes that pinpoint what his position would be regarding Radagast, and the ways in which the character's physical appearance here departs from his [Tolkien's] own vision. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

"pinpoint what his position would be regarding Radagast, and the ways in which the character's physical appearance here departs from his [Tolkien's] own vision"

Tolkien never gave us a detailed description of Radagast- naturally enough, since Radaqgast never actually appears in any of the books. Nonetheles, we can still deduce certain things about Radagast's appearance at least on the negative side: he didn't have six arms. He wasn't purple with green spots. It is unlikely that he possessed a prehensile tail. And we can say with some confidence that he didn't resemble a goofballed-out Skid Row bum in a Lost Boys costume, because such a concoction lay entirely outside of Tolkien's sympathies.

He objected strenuously to the proposed illustrations for the German edition of The Hobbit, offended by "Bilbo with a dribbling nose, and Gandalf as a figure of vulgar fun rather than the Odinic wanderer that I think of." A 1967 effort he rejected as "vulgar, stupid, and entirely out of keeping with the text which [the artist] does not seem to have read with any care." (Hammond & Scull's The J R R Tolkien Companion and Guide contains a useful digest of JRRT's reactions to illustrators' efforts, mostly negative, at Vol II pp.418-423).

Note the use twice of "vulgar;" Tolkien, an Oxford don of Edwardian upbringing, had no patience with vulgarity; he envisioned his mythology as "purged of the gross," and frequently expressed his heartfelt loathing of Disney on that basis.

[personal comments edited out]

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 21 2012, 1:36am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 9:56pm

Post #172 of 209 (879 views)
Shortcut
I like the cut of your jib Sir! [In reply to] Can't Post

indeed Sir, deft sir! Cool

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 10:18pm

Post #173 of 209 (860 views)
Shortcut
I suppose that rather hinges on what one means by "vulgar" [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien offers his own view, of which you are no doubt aware: "a vulgarity a mental myopia which is proud of itself, a smugness (in varying degrees) and
cocksureness, and a readiness to measure and sum up all things from a limited experience, largely enshrined in sententious traditional 'wisdom'."

Though I can't imagine that would apply in this case.

LR

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 10:22pm

Post #174 of 209 (864 views)
Shortcut
I dont remember [In reply to] Can't Post

when Tolkien described Radagast as wearing a suit woven from dried hedgehog manure, and I dont remember the part where one of the Istari would accept having solidified poo running down the side of their face either. Cant pinpoint that somehow. maybe Tolkien actually thought Radagast was a venerable and dignified wizard and not a Narnian sewer dweller?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 10:28pm

Post #175 of 209 (849 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien isn't writing the adaptation. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ is. It's secondary to the books, but it's the next best thing.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.