Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thoughts on The Great Goblin?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 3:00pm

Post #26 of 83 (594 views)
Shortcut
You surprise me :-p// [In reply to] Can't Post

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 3:05pm

Post #27 of 83 (583 views)
Shortcut
Yes, on his head. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 3:07pm

Post #28 of 83 (575 views)
Shortcut
It's just that one shot. Everything else I love. :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 3:08pm

Post #29 of 83 (577 views)
Shortcut
Looks good [In reply to] Can't Post

He's like the art shown above which is how I had pictured him. I saw a picture of the face in the annual book and so it was nice to see the full reveal.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 3:20pm

Post #30 of 83 (657 views)
Shortcut
That large goblin in the Hobbit annual looked infinitely better [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this the same?

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 3:23pm

Post #31 of 83 (575 views)
Shortcut
That was probably concept art [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus we only see the Great Goblin dead in the trailer. He might look quite different in motion.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 3:23pm

Post #32 of 83 (563 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks exactly the same to me.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 3:40pm

Post #33 of 83 (552 views)
Shortcut
Was worried he'd look more like Boss Nass, however [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure about this design in any event...will have to see it in motion (falling on the Dwarves doesn't count) first.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Vangalad
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 3:53pm

Post #34 of 83 (526 views)
Shortcut
Do you have any pic from this annual to share? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nevermind if it's a trouble, just curious to see it.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Snaga
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 4:18pm

Post #35 of 83 (507 views)
Shortcut
I really like it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and as far has him being big, that's no problem. The LOTR films established that there was a tremendous variety of orcs and goblins with many different shapes and sizes. It only stands to reason that some are going to be huge, and it's not a far stretch to assume that a huge bully of a goblin could push and shove his way into command of a goblin nation.

What bothers me about that little glimpse of the trailer is that it makes it apparent the writers decided to go another way with the goblin king's death, as it is clear he dies after a battle and not from Gandalf suddenly appearing and striking him down. I can see why they decided to change this part in adapting it for film, but I also think it would have worked with a nice bit of suprise and irony for the 'movie firsters' if they built up the extreme badness of the goblin king as a character to suddenly have his head fly from his shoulders with Gandalf appearing behind him. They could have had their battle AFTER that.

Oh well. I still like the look of him, and the funny little bit of anti-climax when he falls and nearly crushes the party.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

Solicitr
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 4:22pm

Post #36 of 83 (509 views)
Shortcut
BUT [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Hobbit had a lot of humor thrown in with the serious scenes, especially early on in the book.

Remember, we're not dealing with the Dark Lord Sauron covering Middle-Earth in darkness. We're dealing with a group of 13 dwarves, a reluctant hobbit, and a pushy wizard on an adventure to kill a dragon and take treasure out of a mountain.

Seriousness level - 50.

There seems to be no trace of Tolkien's dry, puckish and slightly professorial humor. Instead we're getting juvenile Jar-Jar Binks stuff. Knights Who Say NI might be funny, too, but they're not Tolkien.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 4:25pm

Post #37 of 83 (504 views)
Shortcut
Not with me right now [In reply to] Can't Post

I can try to do something when I get home.

Vangalad
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 4:53pm

Post #38 of 83 (460 views)
Shortcut
Much appreciated :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

nobofthepony
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 4:55pm

Post #39 of 83 (508 views)
Shortcut
My main thought is that this was the worst initial character reveal ever// [In reply to] Can't Post

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Sep 20 2012, 4:59pm

Post #40 of 83 (517 views)
Shortcut
exactly..and the worse part is... [In reply to] Can't Post

now we all know what to expect when we see the dwarves in that heap of debris. That was a spoiler for sure Unsure

I like the design though, the nastier, the uglier, i cant wait to see that mother puss bucket speak!

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 20 2012, 5:11pm

Post #41 of 83 (468 views)
Shortcut
But that scene might not be in the final film.... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 5:19pm

Post #42 of 83 (449 views)
Shortcut
He falls well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Frito groaned. "I wish I had never been born," he said.

"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

imin
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 5:48pm

Post #43 of 83 (479 views)
Shortcut
Seems to have a massive goitre! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the first thing i thought when i saw him, other than not knowing it was the Great Goblin as i thought it was a troll!

I think the crown looks decent from what we can see, made from pig iron probably with teeth or something similar stuck in.

The actual design, its hard to tell really from something which is lying dead sideways on the screen for about 0.5 second but i thought it looked alright, im sure it will look better when moving around and alive :P

kjeevah
Bree

Sep 20 2012, 5:53pm

Post #44 of 83 (425 views)
Shortcut
What he looks like in motion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not sure about this design in any event...will have to see it in motion (falling on the Dwarves doesn't count) first.

if you want to see it in motion this is a fairly good indication, this is the actor who is playing him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F7E7lAp-hM

nobofthepony
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 5:59pm

Post #45 of 83 (455 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo may have embellished this in his telling of the story [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok...I have theory that might help those of us who find the GG's last-minute cameo in the trailer a bit...to much.

Remember, Bilbo is telling the story. We may see some...err...embellishments on his part.

Then cut to Frodo, saying, "Come on, Bilbo."

Bilbo: "It happened just as I told you!"

Frodo: "Have it your own way. Another pint of the Gaffer's home brew?"

Bilbo: "Right, then. Where was I?"

Even if that doesn't happen, we can comfort ourselves knowing that what we are seeing is Bilbo's re-telling (unreliable narrator) and may not correspond to the actual events in a completely accurate manner.

Let's face it...Bilbo and PJ have a lot in common in the way they tell stories ;-)

(This post was edited by nobofthepony on Sep 20 2012, 6:06pm)

totoro
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 6:06pm

Post #46 of 83 (417 views)
Shortcut
Not so sure about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Gandy cuts GG in half, and the dwarves and Gandy fall or jump to get away from the swarms of goblins. That was a hard part to envision in the book. Gandy has a spark storm that sends the goblins scrambling, but there were so damn many of them. How did the dwarves dodge between them all? Here it looks like GG is near the exit and follows them down. Or, at least half of him does.

In Reply To
...that this gag occurs a while after Gandalf kills the GG.

I think it will fit better in the film.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 6:30pm

Post #47 of 83 (378 views)
Shortcut
I preferred the annual Goblin too / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 6:32pm

Post #48 of 83 (385 views)
Shortcut
Of the Great Goblin? [In reply to] Can't Post

See this thread

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 20 2012, 7:35pm

Post #49 of 83 (357 views)
Shortcut
Oversized images removed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry Lost Hobbit, but those images were much bigger than our maximum. Have a look at the image guidelines below from the FAQs - you are welcome to resize your images to the guidelines and repost them within this thread:

the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Vangalad
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 9:12pm

Post #50 of 83 (317 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I've seen these!

Maybe there is another pic from the annual that Elessar spoke of, that could spread some light on the matter.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.