Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thoughts on The Great Goblin?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Avnar
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 11:14am

Post #1 of 83 (2856 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts on The Great Goblin? Can't Post

So... That's the Great Goblin at the end of the trailer falling on the dwarves Unsure I thought it was a troll... After looking at the hi res pictures it's pretty obvious it's him (crown and all)

The look of him? I hate it. HATE it. The guy is the size of a troll! Have a look at him compared to the dwarves...Dwalin is barely the size of his hand!!

The orcs in Rings actually looked real (if that makes any sense what-so-ever) ...well maybe believable is a better word. And what is with that chin?? Probably the worst design of any creature I have seen in any of these films... Sad.

Does anyone like the look??

Can't believe it -that was the one orc I was really looking forward to seeing. I guess Azog and Bolg will be just as exaggerated... I mean how are we supposed to believe that he is of the same species as characters like Lurtz, Gothmog etc

(This post was edited by Avnar on Sep 20 2012, 11:15am)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 11:16am

Post #2 of 83 (1490 views)
Shortcut
I really like the design [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a big, fat goblin after all.

Is it the design itself you don't like or the size?

Avnar
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 11:18am

Post #3 of 83 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Both! [In reply to] Can't Post

The size bothers me more than the design though... They may as well just say he is a troll!

Vangalad
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 11:28am

Post #4 of 83 (1122 views)
Shortcut
Not yet sold 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

that this is the great goblin but if he is, looking at drawings from J.Howe and A.Lee, yes he looks the part... he really is BIG.

After enough viewings he does look like the other goblinsin the trailer,same colours,flesh,etc but is rather gigantic, I like the design.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Sep 20 2012, 11:32am

Post #5 of 83 (1349 views)
Shortcut
This is what is says in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

"There in the shadows on a large flat stone sat a tremendous goblin with a huge head"

Chapter 4 - Over Hill and Under Hill

Additionally, we've got this old drawing by Howe

and I tried to put some lines to calculate an approximate height of GK, compared to tallest dwarf, Dwalin.

Anyway, I don't think it was mistake or anything else, the decision is intentional and certainly has justifications, based on principal designers' visions.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 20 2012, 7:32pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 11:36am

Post #6 of 83 (1127 views)
Shortcut
And he probably won't look that huge next to Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Who is quite taller than Dwalin.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 11:43am

Post #7 of 83 (1114 views)
Shortcut
I like the first picture [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not fond of Boss Nass in the second picture. Having his dead body not be comic relief that breaks the laws of physics would be nice, too.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 11:48am

Post #8 of 83 (1075 views)
Shortcut
At first I also thought it was a kind of troll [In reply to] Can't Post

but the goblin king will feel to the audience a lot different when he's alive, that's gotta be sure. And why not being a fat wabbly goblin with a doublechin with the size of another head? :D I want to see him talking and behave orcish, I think then the design will be alright.

Here's Alan Lee's great goblin:

http://fantasy.mrugala.net/Alan%20Lee%20-%20The%20Hobbit/Alan%20Lee%20-%20The%20Hobbit%20-%2023%20-%20The%20great%20goblin.jpg

Kinda looks alike.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 11:48am

Post #9 of 83 (1152 views)
Shortcut
not keen on it [In reply to] Can't Post

he is much too big and I didnt like they way he flops down, it looked like sausage meat rather than a creature. Dont like the obvious 'funny' moment either, I knew Bofur would end up the funny one.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 11:58am

Post #10 of 83 (1106 views)
Shortcut
I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

the king will be a stupid, but angry type of guy and before the "fall down" scene he might be pretty mean. So this might be the scene where PJ takes the pressure and darkness out of it. You have to remember that they are chased for a quite a time, don't think that there are a lot of jokes coming.

Steerpike
Bree

Sep 20 2012, 12:27pm

Post #11 of 83 (1011 views)
Shortcut
I'm detecting a slight hint of Barry Humphries in the design... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucky Luke
Bree

Sep 20 2012, 12:43pm

Post #12 of 83 (985 views)
Shortcut
Broken bridge [In reply to] Can't Post

The stuff over the dwarves looks like a broken goblin bridge. I'm thinking the fall of the Goblin King will follow the fall of the company on a bridge in a scene similar to the bridge scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 12:43pm

Post #13 of 83 (963 views)
Shortcut
I like the design too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing really to complain about.

In terms of the trailer, I didn't like it. It's just silly. And I'm a very serious person .... Laugh

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Avnar
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 12:50pm

Post #14 of 83 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Think about this though... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the king will be a stupid, but angry type of guy and before the "fall down" scene he might be pretty mean. So this might be the scene where PJ takes the pressure and darkness out of it. You have to remember that they are chased for a quite a time, don't think that there are a lot of jokes coming.

Everyone keeps saying that it won't be all laughs...but even the serious scenes seem to have jokes thrown in Mad

Riddles in the dark
Great Goblin

I mean -is one of the dwarves going to crack a joke after the Wargs attack them???

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:12pm

Post #15 of 83 (1032 views)
Shortcut
That's pretty much how the Great Goblin was described in the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

...He's not supposed to be as menacing as Lurtz or Gothmog. He's like the Jabba the Hut of Middle-Earth villains.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:18pm

Post #16 of 83 (936 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit had a lot of humor thrown in with the serious scenes, especially early on in the book.

Remember, we're not dealing with the Dark Lord Sauron covering Middle-Earth in darkness. We're dealing with a group of 13 dwarves, a reluctant hobbit, and a pushy wizard on an adventure to kill a dragon and take treasure out of a mountain.

Seriousness level - 50.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:31pm

Post #17 of 83 (923 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

But when the party was all on the skiff about to fly away from the sail barge, Jabba's dead body didn't fall on them so we could all have a laugh at their expense.

Perhaps if this was in the book I could understand and ignore the joke, but the fact remains that Gandalf slayed the Great Goblin in his hall. The escape should not have his dead body landing on them as they escape. Of course, PJ will likely declare this kill too easy and there will be a Goblin King fight scene where he dies on the edge of something high, only to fall on them later as they escape.

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:33pm

Post #18 of 83 (904 views)
Shortcut
Something tells me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that this gag occurs a while after Gandalf kills the GG.

I think it will fit better in the film.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 1:38pm

Post #19 of 83 (875 views)
Shortcut
I dunno, a dragon is pretty serious business. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avnar
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 1:46pm

Post #20 of 83 (850 views)
Shortcut
Boy... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But when the party was all on the skiff about to fly away from the sail barge, Jabba's dead body didn't fall on them so we could all have a laugh at their expense.

Perhaps if this was in the book I could understand and ignore the joke, but the fact remains that Gandalf slayed the Great Goblin in his hall. The escape should not have his dead body landing on them as they escape. Of course, PJ will likely declare this kill too easy and there will be a Goblin King fight scene where he dies on the edge of something high, only to fall on them later as they escape.

Reading your post makes me REALLY realise how stupid it is Unsure

Get rid of that scene for the love of god!

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 2:31pm

Post #21 of 83 (798 views)
Shortcut
Down, down from Goblin-Town [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks to me like the entire company has just fallen from above, probably as part of their escape right after Gandalf kills the GG. Their fall was broken by the wooden ramps/scaffolding they landed on. They've just realized they're alive and relatively unharmed, Bofur makes his relieved comment, and then...well, you know.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 2:39pm

Post #22 of 83 (755 views)
Shortcut
I don't want it to be all serious [In reply to] Can't Post

it has to have a lighter tone. You'll get your dark passages anyway, and in the trailer you also see gollum all mean just before the title hits the screen. Gollum has his cute smeagol joky side and also the side of gollum. I think this stands for the whole movie: One side rather funny and one quite dark. That's a nice ambivalence!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 20 2012, 2:42pm

Post #23 of 83 (779 views)
Shortcut
I really cannot discern "The Crown" [In reply to] Can't Post

in the images of the fallen what ever it is. Maybe I am just looking wrong but...

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 2:56pm

Post #24 of 83 (809 views)
Shortcut
Clearly seen here [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 20 2012, 2:56pm)

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 2:57pm

Post #25 of 83 (721 views)
Shortcut
Now that I look again... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that actually a crown, and is it actually on his head? There are similar-looking rivets (or something) on the boards near his feet.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.