Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What have you been listening to ?

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 3:34am

Post #1 of 22 (457 views)
Shortcut
What have you been listening to ? Can't Post

I've been all over the map lately....preferring to let the ipod choose. Some recent favorites being....

Arwen's Song Sing to me Liv...
Praeludium, Partita 1 in B flat major - Bach
Iron Maiden - Aces High
Madness - Baggy Trousers
The Clash - Train In Vain
Cowboy Bebop - Theme Song
The Troggs - I Can't Control Myself
The Smithereens - A Girl Like You

P.S. What's your all time favorite music format ? Cassette ? CD ? MP3 ? Mine would be vinyl records. Nothing has the depth and warmth of sound, and as somebody who appreciates the low end that bass provides, nothing is better than vinyl.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 20 2012, 4:05am

Post #2 of 22 (218 views)
Shortcut
MP3, for sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't tote a record player on the treadmill. I guess I do miss the scratching and hissing of 33's, if only for sentimental reasons. I do miss hearing the records I used to listen to as a girl, and I could listen to them now if my kid hadn't broken the turntable!!!! As for cassettes, I don't miss them at all. Even the walkman was clunky when compared to my Ipod. I didn't realize what a pain it was, at the time. I don't miss the tape getting caught in the machine and having to wind it back up again--what nonsense! I love my little Ipod. Evil I know purists will bash MP3 for not having "rich" enough sound, but most of this sound from 33's was above or below human hearing anyway. MP3's sound fine IMO and have no snap, crackle, or pop.

"It's a queer country out here", Pa said. "Strange things happen."
"Yes", said Ma. "I'm thankful that so far they don't happen to us."

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 5:13pm

Post #3 of 22 (223 views)
Shortcut
I recently was given an HD radio as a gift to listen to a lot of classical music . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

here in St. Louis because our former classical station has undergone a transformation to an all Christian music format forcing me to listen to classical on an HD radio from our local NPR station! SO--lots of classical music! I love symphonic works!

acheron
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 6:44pm

Post #4 of 22 (193 views)
Shortcut
Got a new music app for my phone [In reply to] Can't Post

called "Songza". Similar to Pandora but you can pick pre-defined stations with a much greater variety than what Pandora has. Plus free and no audio ads.

Anyway so I've been jumping around from early jazz (20s through 40s), to an all-baroque music station (which was great; I could never get Pandora to do that, it kept playing me Mozart no matter how many times I told it no Crazy), to indie pop from the last couple years, to classic rock "deep cuts", to some sort of electronica thing that I listened to while running the other weekend (I know very little about electronic music, so I can't say anything specific about it).

Check it out if you have an iPhone (or it's probably available for Android too).

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 8:36pm

Post #5 of 22 (194 views)
Shortcut
wandering in YouTube land [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been listening to the Zen on shuffle.

For intentional listening... I got intrigued by a mention of Gangnam Style on an Ellen clip and went to check it out. 45 minutes later I'm making my husband watch it. LOL. My son explained a lot of what's going on in the video and I think PSY is pretty clever and talented.

Another night, I got it in my head to listen to Guns and Roses' Janie's Got a Gun. I'm sure there was a reason it popped into my head but I can't remember what it was. I used to catch this on MTV and VH1 back when they played music videos and I had basically free cable (that's not to say I had an illegal hookup, however). I don't know why the song stuck with me. I think it reminds me of the song, "A Girl Needs A Knife", written by Neil Gaiman and sung by The Flash Girls.

Here's a amateur video of fantasy author, Emma Bull (one half of Flash Girls), singing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5PeX4DP1g

To get a sense of it sung by the full duo (the other half being Lorraine Garland, Neil's personal assistant), listen to the amazon sample:
http://www.amazon.com/...-Knife/dp/B001AW0OUS

(two asides: ONE: the comments on Janie's Got a Gun are awful. TWO: last night someone tried to break into an house occupied by a mother and teen daughter. The mother took down the burglar, pinnned him with her knee, and sent the teen daughter to get the pink handled permitted revolver to hold on him till the cops arrived. Gun control issues aside: I kind of like to see kick butt women)

After listening to Janie, I followed the trail that's so much fun at YouTube (click on some suggested video ad infinitum) and listened to Dude Looks Like a Lady. I'm not even a fan of this screaming rock stuff but sometimes you got to float on the river of pop culture a little. From there, I sought out Run DMC's Walk This Way. And to finish it off, Can't Touch This by MC Hammer.

A new band I stumbled onto (new for me) is Imagine Dragons. I especially like this acoustic version of their song, It's Time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d712Th-4y0Q

All time favorite music format? It wouldn't be cassette. And I like having CDs for back up but I don't actually listen to music from them (although I do listen to my LOTR complete recordings music DVDs). Man, mp3s are handy and sortable and I love attaching pretty covers on the files.

But for *all time* favorite, it's hard to beat the record album. It took a lot of care to keep them scratch free but I loved the physical album covers.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 20 2012, 8:36pm)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Sep 21 2012, 7:38am

Post #6 of 22 (184 views)
Shortcut
I find more and more [In reply to] Can't Post

that my "go to" music, music that works for me no matter my mood, is 60's and 70's soul/R&B. I can always listen to Al Green, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, and especially the last week, Marvin Gaye. I just keep hitting repeat on "What's Goin' On?"Smile

As for format: I really miss LP's. Opening a new album was almost as exciting as Christmas morning. So many albums had great album sleeves with either the lyrics and/or more wonderful artwork. Double albums were the best with more photos and art on the inside. Sometimes there was even a poster! BUT, I have to say that I really love being able to carry 100's of songs with me on my phone. It's great to be able to listen to a whole album or just hit shuffle. I find that I sometimes have more appreciation for a song when it comes up randomly. But if a song comes up that I'm not in the mood for, it's great to be able to just hit "next". Plus, MP3 makes me feel like I'm in The Jetsons Wink

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 7:53am

Post #7 of 22 (213 views)
Shortcut
Rather confused here, [In reply to] Can't Post

as there was a music thread posted already this week, unless it had other purpose (though I know it's your thing, Hamfast). Regardless, I've been indulging myself in Alice Cooper (particularly with his song 'Poison' and album 'Welcome 2 My Nightmare'). Being a "monster kid" of sorts, I've found a recent (meaning the past year or so) appreciation for his style, as much of his music makes reference to my own childhood (and current) interests. Alice Cooper is like a beacon of nostalgia that I never had claim to .... if that makes any sense.

As well, I've been indulging myself in my various tastes. I just got a new phone, and I should mention that I've set my new ringtone (which used to be an excerpt from John Williams' 'Superman Theme') to the 'Fellowship' excerpt from the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE0ukoL7sW8. I think many would appreciate this piece (as well as others he's recorded)

Very simple, yet variable week for music (and I type this as I watch a performance of Alice Cooper's "School's Out For Summer" with my brother). I think I'll leave it at that. Tongue

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 1:40pm

Post #8 of 22 (199 views)
Shortcut
The Beatles [In reply to] Can't Post

Lady Madonna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHes0-SYuCU

Let it be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJ3RoOT6r8

With a little help from my friends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y39MjhVrf_Y

I'm a Beatles fan. Wink

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 4:57pm

Post #9 of 22 (190 views)
Shortcut
Believe it or not.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the snap, crackle,pop of vinyl. Particularly from records that have always belonged to me, because that's my surface noise i'm hearing. I have also been collecting records since I was 8 years old, so I associate good memories of hanging out with friends and shopping for music with records as well.

Just like you, I don't miss cassette's at all !

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 5:10pm

Post #10 of 22 (189 views)
Shortcut
Agreed.... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite music format is vinyl. The primary reason being the sound quality, the secondary reason being the cover ( and inner sleeve ) gave the artist a much better chance of conveying a visual message to accompany the music. But like you, the ease of use regarding MP3's is incredible. Just the fact that I can carry thousands of songs,audiobooks,etc. is fantastic.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2012, 5:16pm

Post #11 of 22 (179 views)
Shortcut
That's what I'm talking about! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent choices! I was actually singing a few Beatles songs to myself lastnight, particularly 'Her Majesty' and 'Helter Skelter' ... as well as 'Hey Bulldog' ... a lot of H's. Cool

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 5:31pm

Post #12 of 22 (194 views)
Shortcut
I always have 60'/70's soul & R&B in the rotation too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple of others I would add to the ones you mentioned...

The Delfonics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7iWskRVuag

Bill Withers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7SPo

I couldn't agree more on your sentiments regarding vinyl too.....particularly double lp's. I remember several double lp's that came with tour guide's, poster's, stickers, etc. So much more fun (and value for the buck) than hitting 'download' and not even receiving a digital booklet most of the timeMad

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 5:46pm

Post #13 of 22 (163 views)
Shortcut
Best concert ever. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the early 90's (?) and Alice Cooper came to San Diego with Motorhead in support. Putting aside the fact that Motorhead is one of my all time favorite bands and it was a great thrill to see the mighty Lemmy in person ( not to mention I think my ears are still ringing from their set Laugh ) Alice Cooper was up next.....

During the first song, Alice slayed a monster that spewed blood all over the first few rows of fans, had a live boa constrictor around his neck, and sent a midget to the gallows. During the next hour, more blood was spilled than your average splatter flick, and the show ended with Alice himself being decapitated by guillotine, only to come out and take a bow a few minutes later. Such an awesome show without even mentioning all the classic tunes...." School's Out' being the curtain call.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2012, 10:35pm

Post #14 of 22 (161 views)
Shortcut
Been listening to the new Lynyrd Skynyrd album Last of a Dying Breed [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not too bad, but I'm not wowed by it or anything. A couple of nice riffs etc.

As for favourite format, well ideally I think I'd have to say vinyl too. Not just necessarily for the audio quality (I'm certainly not a good ear for detecting such differences acutely) but mainly for the whole experience of it. It has a great transporting effect, magical in my opinion. You just can't beat listening to a spaced out Prog epic such as The Lamb Lies down on the Broadway by Genesis or Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd whilst immersing yourself in the lyrics and artwork of the giant sleeve and flying high on vinyl's powerful sounds. Then to switch sides or even to change for the next disc is also a great break which you dont get in any other format, as simple/silly as that sounds.

Join us over at Barliman's chat especially for the Trailer Chat Party on Wed at 15:00 GMT!!

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 5:32pm

Post #15 of 22 (177 views)
Shortcut
TORn has vinyl fans ! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't think it sounds simple/silly regarding the physical contact records provide. You are actually interacting with the music, you see the grooves and drop the stylus on the music instead of just hitting 'play'. I think it's magical too Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 23 2012, 6:00pm

Post #16 of 22 (169 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of vinyl [In reply to] Can't Post

Last night I volunteered at a charity auction. There was a LP pressing of "J.R.R. Tolkien Reads and Sings Lord of the Rings" (the one shown here) bundled with a 1978 Tolkien Calender that hadn't even been removed from its shipping sleeve.

Only one person bid on it... they scored both items for 5 buck.

I have decent vinyl collection (it was better before the last move) and an old record player. When I'm not listening to music on Youtube or via satellite on the tele, I play records. Most of the CD's I've bought over the years are long since use up and hardly worth the aggravation to play.

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 23 2012, 6:32pm

Post #17 of 22 (166 views)
Shortcut
I have that album [In reply to] Can't Post

& a whole closet full of my late husband's record collection. Most of his albums haven't been played & they're almost all Japanese virgin vinyl (whatever that is). I need to sell them but haven't gotten around to it yet.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2012, 6:35pm

Post #18 of 22 (152 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* And you didn't bid on it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir D, I am most surprised! Was it that you were restricted, as a volunteer, and were not allowed to bid?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 23 2012, 9:49pm

Post #19 of 22 (166 views)
Shortcut
I have a vast record collection [In reply to] Can't Post

and always keep my eyes open for records ( garage/estate sales, thrift stores, always hit the local used record shops when travelling, etc ) and yet.....I still haven't stumbled upon this treat. I know I could just buy it from ebay, but I would very much like to come upon it by accident ( although a charity auction would certainly suffice ) especially bundled with an unopened 1978 Tolkien calendar ??? For five bucks ? Wow, that made somebody a happy Tolkien fan Smile

(This post was edited by Hamfast on Sep 23 2012, 9:51pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 23 2012, 10:58pm

Post #20 of 22 (180 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Trust me, I wanted to place a bid but I wasn't allowed to (well... it would have been bad form for me to do so).

There were some non-Tolkien related items (books mainly, some first editions) that I had my eye on as well, all of which went for a song.

Someone snapped up a 21 volume Agatha Christie hard cover set for $25 (the only bid there too).

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

zarabia
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2012, 1:37am

Post #21 of 22 (125 views)
Shortcut
Bill Withers, oh yeah! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2012, 1:39am

Post #22 of 22 (204 views)
Shortcut
re: vinyl experience - Well said! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.