Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The (non)-prescense of Howard Shore

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 3:24am

Views: 1542
Shortcut
The (non)-prescense of Howard Shore Can't Post

There has been some debate already about the merits of the trailer(s) without the music of Howard Shore. Some have expected the trailer to feel different, b/cthey knew he would not be contributing anything to this trailer. Some have chosen to express concern anyway, or at least compare the teser with the trailer, noting what a difference it made with Shore contributing origional composition in the teaser, and how they liked it better for that reason, how much more like "M-e" it felt. All this conveys, as if we didn't know it already, that Shore is the Elvish bard of cinematic Middle-earth, and the onscreen universe would be as incomplete without his prescense as The Star Wars universe would have been without John Williams.

This thread is not for debating the merits or lack thereof, but to explore the exciting possibilties of the films themselves as suggested by individual moments in the trilers and endings. After numerous rewatchings of all the trailers/endings, all my concerns about the score have been erased, IF--and it's a big IF--Howard Shore can step up to the plate and provide us with those great moments/motifs to match what we're seeing. Judging by what we've seen, there are some great potential musical moments in this first film.

1) As I noted in the thread below, one such great potential moment is Bilbo's first beholding Rivendell. (I wish I knew how to post accompanying screencaps here. *sigh*...) Contrast Bilbo's reaction to Rivendell to Frodo's and Sam's. When we first saw FOTR, it was an unforgettable moment when we followed Frodo onto that balcony and the whole panorama of Rivendell was spread out before us, or when Bilbo walked in that upper room and said how he wanted to go back and see everything agan, but age has caught up with him. We were amazed, while Bilbo's onscreen reaction was ..well muted. He knew Rivendell well, but we did not. Frodo and Sam knew Rivendell from Bilbo's tales and stories, and readings of books. So their reaction is sort of: "Oh, right. So this is Rivendell."
But in the trailer, we are the ones who know Rivendell well, while it is Bilbo who is utterly gobsmacked. he's never been out of the Shire and knows *nothing* of the wide world outside, save the names of distant places mentioned by the Dwarves. So when we first see Rivendell in TH, we may knw it well, but Peter is asking us to go back again to the sense of wonder of a child, to become the children we were first readng TH. We will see Rivendell though a child's (Hobbit's) eyes. It's a wonderful "Bilbo-centric" moment that I hope we see much of. Even the camera angle suggests this. The first time I saw the trailer I had shivers, trying to imagine how Shore might musically suggest this sense of childlike wonder and awe at first beholding such unearthly beauty. This might be his first "step out onto the road", like Sam's in the field. Might there be a new motif for Rivendell, or will Shore work around what he had in FOTR? I really hope not. I want something powerful and new.

2)the "Sting" ending. The playing of "Concerning Hobbits" seems to make this a comedic moment, like Pippin's "Mission-Quest-Thing" in FOTR. But I'll bet that in the film, the sword scene at the banquet table will be anything but. That line might be mildly amusing to the audience, but the laughter won't last long. More likely, what we'll be hearing from Shore will make this a dramtic scene. Far more interesting to me, however, is what we see in the background. We see a harpist, and a couple of lutists? walking around, accompanying the meal, like players for the medivial European kings of old. At first I thought that was Lindir playing the harp, but the figure wore a woman's gown. Lindir might be one of the lutists though! I squee with delight if we saw Bret mcKenzie here!
But what might the dinner music sound like? What harp or lute.harsichird.ethnuc instrument might be used? We are about to get our first real taste of casual--or even Heroic--Noldorian ballad. And we might even see more, if we have a scens ef Bilbo meeting Lindir or the Hall or Fire. This has me salivating with excitement. At last, maybe some genuine ballads from the First or Second Age! I can imagine David Salo helping put with this stuff.

And as an aside, did it give anyone else the **SHIVERS** to hear Elrond say "Gondolin"?

I'll start with this, but what do you suggest? What might a motif for Radagast sound like, what instrumentation might comprise it, and will it be expanded to fit anything else?

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Sep 20 2012, 3:31am)

Subject User Time
The (non)-prescense of Howard Shore Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower Sep 20 2012, 3:24am
    Wow! Great post! Owain Send a private message to Owain Sep 20 2012, 3:42am
    Really excited to hear what Shore creates...he's definitely still at the very top of his game creatively thomasofrohan Send a private message to thomasofrohan Sep 20 2012, 4:50am
    How about when he said "Glam-dring?" easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Sep 20 2012, 7:38am
        Glamdring Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Sep 20 2012, 6:07pm
            I always thought he said Anduril strangely in ROTK as well. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 20 2012, 6:34pm
                I'm glad he doesn't have to say Sting!// Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Sep 20 2012, 6:46pm
                    He'd use his Scottish accent for that. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 20 2012, 6:48pm
                        Stop! Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Sep 20 2012, 6:55pm
    Re: Rivendell music FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Sep 20 2012, 9:08am
        The challenge for the composer Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower Sep 20 2012, 4:27pm
            Great post Sunflower FlyingSerkis Send a private message to FlyingSerkis Sep 20 2012, 5:57pm
            thank you for that post Sunflower Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Sep 22 2012, 7:29pm
    beautiful post Sunflower Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Sep 20 2012, 12:24pm
        I've said this before in anther Thread.. Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Sep 20 2012, 2:51pm
    Ah Gondolin :) Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Sep 20 2012, 6:14pm
    What about the discovery of the ring? thoon Send a private message to thoon Sep 22 2012, 3:05am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.