The Imdb Disappointed Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:08am

Post #126 of 209 (1441 views)
Shortcut
huh . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . usually I think I've spotted something, and it ends up I'm actaully late to the party!

I think we were speculating a while back and I was guessing 2h45m to 3h . . . looks like I was on, if that is the actual film length.
Although . . . seems too early to have a definitive length, as PJ likes to work right up until the last minute . . .

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 1:08am

Post #127 of 209 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Ian's Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems very off to me, too. Some of it sounds brilliant, like his conversation with Galadriel, but most of the other stuff seems wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feel this way.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 1:10am

Post #128 of 209 (1439 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the comedy should be dialed back a few notches. But knowing PJ's styleCrazy

But as far as the trolls go we have yet in PJ's movie verse, other than Bilbo's stone troll statues in FOTR, to see any Stone trolls in middle earth. and Tolkien himself gave the answer to why these trolls are different so I can live with talking trolls. Stone trolls being only one of 2 types of trolls to speak, period. And the only trolls to actually speak Westron, the others only speak the black speech of Mordor.

The wargs however after watching the trailer a dozen times do NOT get any better after several views. They look like hairless rats super imposed on top of a filmed scene of Bilbo and the dwarves running down a hill. They don't look like they are actually in the scene as much as they are on top of it. I'm hoping they were under the gun and there are still improvements underway on them.

I hated the Smeagol personality in the trailer too. I think he should have been mean and scary thru the whole Riddles sequence Angelic but that's just MY opinion

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20 2012, 1:13am

Post #129 of 209 (1454 views)
Shortcut
At this point... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the final edit has to be in place - they will be putting finishing touches on the soundtrack, effects, and grading before delivering the finished version to WB for distribution. A little less than 3 months to go... Cool

Silverlode

Don't have a Hobbit Day footer? Want one? Click here!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20 2012, 1:17am

Post #130 of 209 (1472 views)
Shortcut
Remember when PJ was editing ROTK in London [In reply to] Can't Post

and filmed an extra bit about Gollum with Andy Serkis lying on the carpet? I don't put any last-second edits beyond him!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:18am

Post #131 of 209 (1443 views)
Shortcut
You're probably right . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . well, it's nice to spot something first . . . can't let Daniel LB have all the fun Wink

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 1:21am

Post #132 of 209 (1455 views)
Shortcut
I don't get it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I really really don't get it. All the negative crap levied at this film for the past several months was about how TH would be too much like LOTR. Well... this trailer shows that much of it will be less like LOTR (lighter, funnier, more whimsical in it's adventure). But no... now it's too light, too funny, too whimsical.

I think it is literally impossible to make an adaptation that would please hardcore Tolkien fans.

"Thorin's eye's are too blue! Radagast's robe is too brown! There a stone giants that are in the book but I'm going to complain about PJ including them anyway!"

I'm considering not coming on this threat anymore. I want to be excited for this film... not keep reading about how terrible Peter Jackson is at everything.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 1:24am

Post #133 of 209 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it seems a little early for a running time. Sure, the cut is mostly done but there's still time for small changes.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 1:25am

Post #134 of 209 (1439 views)
Shortcut
I have been looking for this off an on all day. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good catch!

However, when I click on the link, it does not take me anywhere.

When I heard it was going to be a trilogy, I guess 2hr25min to 2hr40min.

If this source is true, huzzah!

Thanks for sharing Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 1:30am

Post #135 of 209 (1428 views)
Shortcut
You're right. The film will be terrible. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 1:33am

Post #136 of 209 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Well, as far as i'm concerned... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been expressing concerns about too much comedy basically since the movies was announced. I want it to be more LOTR. I guess, i'm not a hardcore fan, since i'm that fond of the Hobbit book.

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 20 2012, 1:39am

Post #137 of 209 (1401 views)
Shortcut
did she like LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Weaver has a very strong anti-fantasy bias; his assumption, prior to seeing the LOTR films, was that a story about elves and wizards and dwarves was basically silly.

He only went to see the LOTR films with me under duress (I needed a driver); he was rather shocked to find out that this "silly" story was pretty intense. He was totally unprepared for a serious, realistic approach and ended up seeing all the films 10+ times with me. It was quite a journey for him! He's a big music fan, so the score won him over as well.

For the Hobbit, he's coming into it expecting it to be like LOTR; when I told him it was about 13 dwarves he sort of shook his head. One dwarf was plenty for him! But then he gave Jackson the benefit of the doubt, as in "well, he made a convert out of me once, so I'm willing to reserve judgment." So he's going into this a bit cautiously, as I said..

I'm fine with the trailer because I see the Hobbit as a comic tale that moves into a tragedy, but if you just left Middle Earth with tears in your eyes, so to speak, the comic emphasis of the trailer is a bit much. I think that's one of the biggest challenges of telling the Tale in reverse, esp. for non-readers who only know the films. It will be interesting to see how it plays out!

I think this thread has been pretty therapeutic, for the most part. We all have preconceptions and biases about this story or flimmaking or Jackson's style and are responding to what we are seeing are not seeing in the little bits and pieces of it that the trailer shows us. My own first reaction was a kind of deer-in-the-headlights response -- there was a lot to take in -- but I've found more to like than not like on subsequent viewings.

I really hope all of the books, the Hobbit included, are remade at some point by someone else -- it's hard when there's nothing to compare them to for people to be able to see them objectively, I think, particularly when they differ strongly from what someone really wanted or hoped to see on screen, or if Jackson's style does not work for you. We're really seeing the story through his lens, as a film maker, and that is not the only way to see it, of course!

Weaver

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2012, 1:50am

Post #138 of 209 (1477 views)
Shortcut
My Specific Disappointment in Martin Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure I am alone in this and it's hard for me to say because I adore MF. But I'm not seeing Bilbo Baggins AT ALL. It's not that he's a poor actor -- I think he's super talented. But somehow his style of acting, his presence, some elusive quality makes his Bilbo seem too contemporary to be believable, to fit naturally into Middle Earth. And despite some comparisons to Ian Holm, I don't feel that. I just can't see anybody but MF in a wig and funny ears. This won't prevent me from seeing the movies, but Bilbo is The Hobbit, it really bums me to not feel any connection between his performance and the Bilbo I embraced from the book.

Like I said, I doubt anyone will agree with me but it makes me feel a little better being able express my dismay in this forum. Thanks for listening.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 1:55am

Post #139 of 209 (1399 views)
Shortcut
She liked some of the landscapes [In reply to] Can't Post

and a few of the scenes but overall it wasn't her cup of tea. She could actually have a film all about life in the Shire and be content. I bet I dragged her to all 3 LOTR films at least a dozen times in the theater not to mention the occasional Sunday matinee on the big screen TV at home Angelic

But after watching the Hobbit trailer with me she thinks she will like it better than LOTR and has promised to go in with an open mind. But like i said she does think that Gollum is all wrong as far as what we see in the trailer and hearing my descriptions of the scene. She said it seems like there is no element of danger in the Gollum stuff and he seems to "peppy and upbeat" to use her words. So I have to say at least we agree on that one. I've been saying since day one of hearing about the split personality thing that it was wrong to go that way and that Gollum should be dark and dangerous instead of a schizophrenic with the cheerful Smeagol personality.

I agree this thread is therapeutic I need to vent after seeing things involved that bug me and people in the happy fuzzy camp always get upset when you have negative comments Wink

Joe B.
The Shire

Sep 20 2012, 3:20am

Post #140 of 209 (1373 views)
Shortcut
The story in Bilbo's voice? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to agree that the trailer seems to suggest that the first of the three films will play more as a comedy than as a drama - which may give some fans legitimate cause for concern. But I myself would have been more concerned if I felt that P.J. & Co. were trying to oversell the dramatic aspects of the book, at least in the first act of the trilogy. Look - The Hobbit is just not the Lord of the Rings. It has (and deserves) its own voice. No doubt the tone of the films will mature as the story progresses, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that the character around which THIS story is centered is a rather peculiar sort - a storyteller, no less, with a bent for whim and embellishment.

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 3:24am

Post #141 of 209 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Not disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I've never harbored the remotest hope that this film would appeal to me. The trailer was pretty much exactly what I expected, and I think it will wind up being far more representative of the finished product as a whole than was the first teaser.

Which brings me to a point that hasn't, I think, been made yet in the thread. The first trailer surprised me at the outset for being as close in tone to the book as it was. Despite the minutely analyzed "fanfic" elements that were flashed for brief intervals, the choice to focus mainly on the unexpected party as the framework for the entire thing almost led me to cautious optimism.

In this second trailer, on the other hand, I do not see one clip which actually depicts anything described in either TH or the appendices of LotR. Sure, you can recognize what some of the scenes are supposed to be, but they are all either overboard exaggerations characteristic of the worst Lucas/Cameron-inspired action sequences of LotR or else wholesale invention. And I think this time around, that stuff will comprise about 80% of the films rather than the roughly 40% that made up the first ride.

I'm pretty certain I don't want to sit through it.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 3:46am

Post #142 of 209 (1505 views)
Shortcut
huh . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . I juat tried to go back to the site to watch the trailer again, and it proclaims that it's 'Loading' but it never does . . .
It was working earlier!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 3:48am

Post #143 of 209 (1503 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that though! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping for at least 2hrs30mins. for this first one.

Hopefully, what you found gives us an indication of the running time.

Thanks again!Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 4:14am

Post #144 of 209 (1532 views)
Shortcut
And, unlike some who are complaining about the trailer being 'not LOTR enough'. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . this is why I'm upset!
I agree . . . the first trailer had a much better feel to it, and it felt more like the book.

In this trailer, I see scenes that 'suggest' certain sections of the book, but they have changed them.
> Bilbo doesn't yell that he's going on an adventure
> Galadriel does not ask Gandalf why he brought the halfling along
> Elrond does not tell Thorin that his quest to Erebor is 'a bad idea'
> The stone giants (a barely mentioned throw-away line from the book) do not throw boulders at the party
> The escape from Goblin Town is not an epic battle

All of these things, I am told by many on TORn, are from the book but are 'enhanced', 'made more dramatic', 'improved by embellishing'.

B******T! PJ said in the EE's from the LOTR: 'the further we went from the story, the more we realized that Tolkien had it right in the first place, and the more we went back to the book.' It would not appear that he remembers this statement, or maybe that he ever really meant it.
All I'm seeing in the trailer are changes to the story. The Hobbit is much better set up be turned into a movie than the LOTR ever was, and PJ seems to have a subconcious need to change/embellish/whatever nearly everything from the book.
I didn't want a prequel to the LOTR. I didn't like some of what was done with the LOTR films. I especially didn't like the parts of the films that strayed from the story or added something not in the book.
The Hobbit isn't the LOTR. The Hobbit is a little more silly than the LOTR, more innocent, less dark and epic . . .

I don't want the Hobbit embellished with White Council stuff, and I don't want a clone of the LOTR film . . .

. . . I want the Hobbit, and I'm not seeing the Hobbit

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 6:50am

Post #145 of 209 (1471 views)
Shortcut
Let's hope a new trailer or vlog (or something else) gets you more excited! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 7:00am

Post #146 of 209 (1492 views)
Shortcut
2h 48m works for me [In reply to] Can't Post

But just add on another 12 minutes! I imagine this is the expected length - they've not finished post-production yet.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 8:03am

Post #147 of 209 (1482 views)
Shortcut
This is [In reply to] Can't Post

an inaccurate parody of people's real views on this trailer.

"Thorin's eye's are too blue! Radagast's robe is too brown! There a stone giants that are in the book but I'm going to complain about PJ including them anyway!"

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 22 2012, 12:39pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 8:08am

Post #148 of 209 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is something tiresome about reading these negative posts that sounds like a broken record- endless posts with the same content as the first post the poster made. I don't know why people does this, maybe it's because they think that if they yell louder and use more loaded words, more people will hear them and succumb to their opinions. It's all very strange to me.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Sep 20 2012, 8:09am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 8:39am

Post #149 of 209 (1474 views)
Shortcut
Why is it [In reply to] Can't Post

That criticisms are labelled as "all the same" while positive opinions, even if they are repeated over and over again, are not?

Sorry, but it is this intolerant and dismissive tone directed at anyone who did not feel encouraged by the trailer that's the problem, not the other way around.

And who said anything about getting others to succumb to their opinions? This is a Tolkien messageboard where people talk about their views, discuss their excitements, and vent their frustrations. Proselytizing is not a motive.

People just want to talk about their likes and dislikes. Deal with it, and leave people be.

And of course you find it strange, since you disagree with them! Do you find it odd that people gush over the trailer, using loaded positive language? Probably not, because you agree with them!

It's all very simple, in the end...

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Sep 20 2012, 8:42am)

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 9:31am

Post #150 of 209 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Nothing "intolerant" about it [In reply to] Can't Post

I just find it very tedious to read all these caps-locky complaints, all over again which is essentially the same thing. In my opinion, I don't have any problem with people venting their frustration, but in moderation. Just like I would not spam the boards making 10 different threads of how much I loved the trailer.

Sorry, but it is this intolerant and dismissive tone directed at anyone who did not feel encouraged by the trailer that's the problem, not the other way around.

People just want to talk about their likes and dislikes. Deal with it, and leave people be.

Now you are being too hasty again. Your assumption that the point of my post was to be dismissive and intolerant, is incorrect. I meant what I meant, and not what you thought that I meant.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.