Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Imdb Disappointed Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 4:36pm

Post #51 of 209 (1389 views)
Shortcut
Okay, so my dissapointments then [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing about the content, but the trailer itself. The editing was messy, it didn't make its basic point clear enough (who are they, what are they doing, why), and it used too many same scenes. It was actually kind of confusing, and left you feeling PJ was still holding his cards to himself. Like this was another teaser instead of a proper trailer.

But as I said before, I never expected anything special on that department, so not a biggie.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 4:39pm

Post #52 of 209 (1286 views)
Shortcut
A lot of LOTR was set in - [In reply to] Can't Post

It just doesn't feel like PJ's Middle-earth

- the territories dominated by Men.

With the Hobbit, we're in relatively unexplored and wilder (and perhaps more magical) regions of Middle-Earth.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 4:39pm

Post #53 of 209 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Hehe! Too many of the same scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

Because they've gone and cut it after the Misty Mountains Wink! Not much happens haha!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DiveTwin
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 4:46pm

Post #54 of 209 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Thrilled [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very happy with the trailer and the direction of the movie, personally. Snippets and trailers do not tell the whole story - but I think PJ has this covered very well. I am one that wanted to see more outside The Hobbit story in the book and hoped it would tie in nicely with what he created in Lord Of The Rings.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 4:47pm

Post #55 of 209 (1314 views)
Shortcut
I loved the dwarves greeting each other by headbutting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Great nod to Viggo Smile There's lots I like... Maybe it'll grow on me Wink

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Sep 19 2012, 4:48pm

Post #56 of 209 (1295 views)
Shortcut
I think the music, the comedic elements, pacing... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the trailer in every way. I thought it was great. I think the comedic elements make it feel less serious, the music was not howard shore, the fast pace, and it had more fantastical elements (the rock giants, bunny sled, hedgehogs) all make it feel different than LOTR. I personally was not a fan of the ending, it did feel cliche hollywood. However, I didnt mind, I still like what I saw, plus I knew all of this was going to be in the movie based on vlogs, press releases, and other sources. There was a lot of serious stuff in the trailer too and I expect the movie to be full of it, with some comedic elements. LOTR was the same way. Cannot wait!

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Sep 19 2012, 4:50pm

Post #57 of 209 (1263 views)
Shortcut
The headbutting was my favorite part [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't expect it and it was hilarious. Balin's grin is awesome.

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Sep 19 2012, 4:53pm

Post #58 of 209 (1246 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there was a lot of comedy in this trailer on purpose, to aim at a wider audience. I too hope its more serious in the actual film. LOTR was serious, but had comical scenes with merry, pip, gimli and lego, and I was fine with that.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 5:01pm

Post #59 of 209 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Haha, I was pondering on posting an apology before you would have time to answer me! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Negative vibes" effect my INFP personality a lot, so I react strongly to a powerful negative emotion. That's all. I hope I didn't push it too far, either.

Now that you explain it, I can see why you would be dissapointed. That's the unfortunate fact of this all: when reading a book, we all have a different interpration of it, it lives its own life inside of us. But PJ too is just a man, and the movie he tells has to be the interpration he has. If individual members of the audience can't agree with his vision, it's unfortunate for them, but it doesn't make PJ a bad person or a bad director.

That's my only point, really. I'm not saying you said otherwise, but it really bothers me when people accuse PJ of this and that horrible things (he only cares about monnnnnneeeeeyyyyyyy) because they themselves aren't mature enough to understand how adaptations work.

And yes, I'm very critical of many parts of LotR, too.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 5:03pm

Post #60 of 209 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Do they see the white light? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 5:08pm

Post #61 of 209 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Is it the light hearted feeling, or the action scenes? [In reply to] Can't Post

If the previous, that's the feeling of the Hobbit as it should be. If the latter, I'm rather sure the action is more adundant in this trailer than it is the actual movie.

Anways, really sorry for you. Too bad so many people seem to be disliking it.

But then again, I've been sure for a long time this fandom is just way too divided upon what they want for there to be any chance of general happiness about the movie. A significant amount of people are going to hate it. Either it's going to be too light hearted, too actiony, too LotR-like, too God knows what.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Sep 19 2012, 5:12pm

Post #62 of 209 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Oh come on, you old fuddy-duddy ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's just go with this one and have fun.

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 5:13pm

Post #63 of 209 (1248 views)
Shortcut
That's too sadly true for me to even laugh.... *sob* [In reply to] Can't Post

This trailer was in serious need of some Beorn, Mirkwood and Thranduil. And spiders.

But even now they could have shown more. More of the White Council, more of Dol Guldur, more of Radagast, more of the Lonely Mountain backstory and the Dwarven history. No need to even explain it all, just show how much awesome stuff we're about to see this Christmas.

Actually, scrap that, you could have explained more of the Lonely Mountain stuff. Stay focused, PJ! Don't let your mind wander.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 5:15pm

Post #64 of 209 (1216 views)
Shortcut
yup I dont like it too [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been thinking about it, and its strange because the first trailer gives me goosebumps and the shivers its so good, but this one was just meh! You know I think its the music that has let us down. That rubbishy generic stuff is not Howard Shore like, so subconciously we are not transported to Middle Earth that we recognize, well at least I wasnt. It wasnt so much the content, although there was way too much gratuitous 'comedy' and OTT stuff. I think its the atmosphere thats all wrong, but that is just my opinion. I didnt feel anything while watching it, just nothing and thats a bit odd. I loved some of the shots of Bilbo in Hobbiton and Rivendel but the goblin stuff not so much.

imin
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 5:20pm

Post #65 of 209 (1203 views)
Shortcut
way way more people seem to like it than not from reading the other thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Its just there is a minority who do not, this happened with the lotr trilogy as well, just perhaps not as much on here.

For me i think like you do, the trailer was not that well put together - if i had not have read the hobbit then i would have found it confusing really and not fully understood what was going on.

I also felt parts looked fake or too cheesy but i imagine they are going for a younger audience or trying to have the film in keeping with the book - though i think the humour is different to the book, perhaps that is how it was always going to be as this is for a modern audience.

I think most like it - even people who dislike it have some things they do like. For me im about 60% like and 40% no like.

Tolkien fandom is vast and full of many different opinions, the biggest division is those who prefer the films and those who prefer the books.

I think there is more chance of the general audience not liking this film as they could see it as being silly in comparison to lotr or they could have expectations which are too high.

Its hard to tell from the trailer as its just that, a trailer. I am hoping for more subtlety and less action when the movie is released which i am sure will happen so im hopeful it will be a decent movie - as good or better than lotr - who knows!

Anyways, chin up, as really it doesnt matter what anyone thinks other than yourself Smile

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 5:25pm

Post #66 of 209 (1180 views)
Shortcut
The original trailer gives me hope [In reply to] Can't Post

Whereas this one is almost a complete 180. The Shore music and serious tone has been replaced with whimsy and generic "epic" music. As someone said earlier, it feels like a LOTR parody!

I hope that turning two films into three didn't designate AUJ as the funny, whimsical film before the later, serious films.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 5:38pm

Post #67 of 209 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for your kind words [In reply to] Can't Post

You really cheered me up. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 5:39pm

Post #68 of 209 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit of Beorn, Laketown and Mirkwood would have been lovely!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 19 2012, 5:42pm

Post #69 of 209 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf And Galadriel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am disappointed that there was none of that great sexual tension as promised between Gandalf and Galdriel. We were promised romance! It seems this time like they are keeping Gandalf And Galadriel as far apart as possible. Gandalf even has his back turned to Galadriel most of the time. Maybe they had some lovers quarrel? Maybe they did a Robert Pattinson/Kristen Stewart with Jackson? I don't know. I didn't see anything about a break-up in the Hollywood news. Or maybe they were told, "tone it down for this one, you two love birds - stand as far apart as possible. Let there be no mistake this time. The proprieties will be observed! You understand we have to keep it PG." I'm sure they get back together at the end, like any Hollywood romance. Just look at Pattinson and Kristen - awww! I'm sure Gandalf wouldn't get all Rhett Butler on Galadriel's Scarlett, would he? Besides, he knows if he did, Galdriel would just smite him into ashes so quickly it would make the Balrog look like Kermit the Frog. And Galdriel ain't no Miss Piggy.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 19 2012, 5:45pm)

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 5:44pm

Post #70 of 209 (1152 views)
Shortcut
It matters what everyone thinks [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Anyways, chin up, as really it doesnt matter what anyone thinks other than yourself Smile

Not quite, because if the vast majority of people like something, it will continue to stay that way. That's why it's always important to voice your opinion, so that no one assumes that everyone feels the same way.

imin
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 6:25pm

Post #71 of 209 (1109 views)
Shortcut
That was not the point i was making [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying to say that people's opinions should not affect your opinion of something. If you dont like it, then fair enough, it is of course absolutely fine to say so just as it is if you like it or think its just meh but i dont think one should let others opinions on something like a movie affect ones mood.

I couldn't care less if people like it or dont, for me there are parts i do like and others i dont. It is interesting to discuss but if it gets one down or too angry then its the time to step away and realise its just not important enough to cause those emotions.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 19 2012, 6:27pm

Post #72 of 209 (1139 views)
Shortcut
Good. It should certainly NOT be LOTR II, nor LOTR the Redux or Prequel. [In reply to] Can't Post

At any rate, I do not doubt that you will get plenty of that in the two subsequent films, at least one of which is almost certainly superflous.

This first movie evidently intends to at least make a decent attempt at representing the first quarter to third of The Hobbit. Have you read that book?

In Reply To
As posted here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/board/thread/204703166

Well, now that we've all seen the trailer at least 5 times by now, we can form an opinion.

CRAP.

This is NOT LOTR: II.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 6:42pm

Post #73 of 209 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Cheered you up? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope my negative comments didn't upset you? My gripe isn't with the movie, I'm still sure it'll be amazing. But this trailer doesn't really sell it to me. Maybe I was expecting too much, or something different? Anyway, as imin says, all that really matters is your own opinion, and if you liked it, then there's no problem! If you really care about what others think, then the majority of people really liked it anyway. And if you really care what I think then I have to admit, after multiple views it's beginning to grow on me Wink

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 19 2012, 7:03pm

Post #74 of 209 (1094 views)
Shortcut
An Elf, smite a Maia? Pfft. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think someone needs to ease off on the bottle! Feanor and Fingon would tell you not to be so flippant when speaking of Balrogs as well.

In Reply To
I am disappointed that there was none of that great sexual tension as promised between Gandalf and Galdriel. We were promised romance! It seems this time like they are keeping Gandalf And Galadriel as far apart as possible. Gandalf even has his back turned to Galadriel most of the time. Maybe they had some lovers quarrel? Maybe they did a Robert Pattinson/Kristen Stewart with Jackson? I don't know. I didn't see anything about a break-up in the Hollywood news. Or maybe they were told, "tone it down for this one, you two love birds - stand as far apart as possible. Let there be no mistake this time. The proprieties will be observed! You understand we have to keep it PG." I'm sure they get back together at the end, like any Hollywood romance. Just look at Pattinson and Kristen - awww! I'm sure Gandalf wouldn't get all Rhett Butler on Galadriel's Scarlett, would he? Besides, he knows if he did, Galdriel would just smite him into ashes so quickly it would make the Balrog look like Kermit the Frog. And Galdriel ain't no Miss Piggy.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Dlanor da Great
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 7:12pm

Post #75 of 209 (1080 views)
Shortcut
on first viewing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Upon my first viewing, I wasn't moved by the trailer. Then upon further viewings I began to realize that what bothered me wasn't the trailer itself ,but that my expectations of the trailer wasnt fulfilled. I honestly believe i may have fell into the trap of expecting a LOTR trailer. The music and the atmosphere was different. But guess what, this isn't the LOTR.
In fact, I think that I may enjoy these movies more than the original trilogy because my favorite of the originals was FOTR ,mostly for the fantasy eliminte of it which the Hobbit seems to be closer too.
It has never been a secret that the Hobbit would be a little more comical as in the book. Why people are still shocked by this fact, I have no idea. But as in the original trilogy, I believe that it will start off light and innocent enough before it gets more serious in the next two movies.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.