Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
WHa! Wait one blasted minute! What the hell is Gandalf doing being hustled along with the dwarves???!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 19 2012, 6:38pm

Post #1 of 52 (2848 views)
Shortcut
WHa! Wait one blasted minute! What the hell is Gandalf doing being hustled along with the dwarves???! Can't Post

I was enjoying the trailer. Nooone of the complaints of "too Narnia etc. etc." I was hearing from some people. I liked it. Then I noticed something. . . something WRONG!!! It seems to me that Gandalf is WITH the dwarves being pushed along by the goblins. . . . WTF, WTF, WTF!!! Confusticate and bebother if it doesn't look like another one of Peter's damned, "I think I know better than the books" moments. WAY to ruin the magic and mystery of The Wizard's sudden dissapearance and re-emergence just in the nick of time. Damn. Just when I thought I had gotten away without seeing anything to upset me. MadMadMad

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 6:42pm

Post #2 of 52 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Can we please keep all trailer discussion confined to the first thread? All that these new ones do is push it down closer to the second page, when it was set up to address all thoughts concerning the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not that we can't have more in-depth discussions on separate threads, but the main thread is getting pushed down way too quickly by discussions that could easily take place within it. There's also the "disappointment thread", which is a suitable place to submit concerns/complaints.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Sep 19 2012, 6:48pm)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 6:44pm

Post #3 of 52 (1102 views)
Shortcut
you fogot the part [In reply to] Can't Post

where Gandalf makes love to the goblin king as a way to appease him thus revealing the moment where he poisoned him with a kiss...falling to his death ontop of the dwarves in a hilariously ironic aside.

Crazy

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Sep 19 2012, 6:45pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 7:01pm

Post #4 of 52 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... I went through that scene frame by frame.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't see Gandalf among them.

I see Thorin at the head of the column...

As a completely funny side note... that same scene has a goblin's bare behind hanging out.

Kind of funny.Laugh

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Sep 19 2012, 7:03pm)
Attachments: goblin_booty.jpg (9.94 KB)

dalecooper
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 7:03pm

Post #5 of 52 (913 views)
Shortcut
Which part of the trailer is that in? Time stamp, I mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

They may just have him disappear a bit later or something, after taking a minute to work some magic - doesn't have to be a very significant change.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 7:04pm

Post #6 of 52 (995 views)
Shortcut
I don't see Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 7:05pm

Post #7 of 52 (926 views)
Shortcut
1min 17sec.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 7:06pm

Post #8 of 52 (949 views)
Shortcut
But these overly long mega threads are unpractical [In reply to] Can't Post

All the interesting thoughts you get, and the others get, are lost in the depths of hundreds of messages.

Let's let the mods to decide!

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 19 2012, 7:07pm

Post #9 of 52 (953 views)
Shortcut
Lol. at the goblin assets [In reply to] Can't Post

and arse. lol. But, it is in the scene right after Elrond and Thorin, as the company is being driven through Goblin Town. The hair and clothing is all Gandalf from the appearance. I will try to time stamp it for Dalecooper in a sec.

In Reply To
And I don't see Gandalf among them.

I see Thorin at the head of the column...

As a completely funny side note... that same scene has a goblin's bare behind hanging out.

Kind of funny.Laugh

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Post #10 of 52 (886 views)
Shortcut
It looks like you can see his hat pop up, but I'm not entirely sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

Macfeast
Rohan

Post #11 of 52 (891 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, couldn't find him either. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least not during the segment when the dwarves have been taken captive (1:10). I saw him at 2:00, but that looks to be their escape...during which Gandalf should be present.

dalecooper
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 7:08pm

Post #12 of 52 (868 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see them just moving it slightly - he goes with them, he does his flash-bang-disappearing act, giving the dwarves & Bilbo a chance to ponder (dramatically) if the wizard has abandoned them to their deaths - then he shows back up to create his light show, etc. It would be similar to the book and would give them a chance to wring a little more drama from it. Just pure speculation, of course!

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 7:10pm

Post #13 of 52 (891 views)
Shortcut
That' snot Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're talking about the character with the robes at the back of the line, that's Fili. If you're talking about the gray-haired character near the front, that's Gloin.

If the shots of Gandalf standing with the dwarves is any indication, he's easily two or three heads taller than any of them, including Thorin. Nobody is standing taller than the dwarves or the goblins in that crowd.

dalecooper
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 7:11pm

Post #14 of 52 (900 views)
Shortcut
On further review of the HD trailer, I don't see Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see a dwarf with similar long gray hair, that's all.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 7:13pm

Post #15 of 52 (889 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Clutter in one thread is not good, but neither is too much splintering too soon (oftentimes for small questions and concerns that don't particularly need an entire thread on their own). I can see your point.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 19 2012, 7:15pm

Post #16 of 52 (931 views)
Shortcut
Depends on which upload of the trailer you watch, Dalecooper. [In reply to] Can't Post

The one I saw jumps right into the start of the trailer, and the scene happens at about 1:09, though another poster said 1:17, which could be accurate if you got a longer ratings board intro.

Either way, it happens exactly as Elrond is saying, "there are some who would not deem it wise" The hat isn't on. But one figure has A)the long grey hair B) greater height than the others C) what appears to be a gray robe and a satchel similar to the one sometimes seen on Sir Ian.

He seems to be being hustled along with the others, which totally alters the books "but NOT Gandalf. . . it had wakened him up in a splintered second. When goblins came to get him there was a flash. . . " I don't know. But now I am worried anew. Worried that Gandalf is going to be greatly diminished from the mystery and power he has in the novel, esp. in comparison to others on The Council. It will be quite an issue to my mind, if Galadriel is seen randomly vanishing into thin air at a whim, while Gandalf's mysterious dissaperaece from the midst of the goblins is replaced by him fighting his way out as though he were little more than a hardy old Conan with a glowing stick.

In Reply To
They may just have him disappear a bit later or something, after taking a minute to work some magic - doesn't have to be a very significant change.

Thoromir
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 7:28pm

Post #17 of 52 (871 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! It DOES look like Gandalf:o [In reply to] Can't Post

To be exact:

In the scene where the goblins have captured the company you can see him passing the torch and brown pole in the middle of the screen. Farthest away from 'the viewer'. You can see a slightly bigger person with long grey hair...

EDIT: ON SECOND THOUGHT,,I DONT THINK ITS GANDALF. SAME HIGHT AS THE OTHER DWARVES. FILI PROBABLY (but someone has stated that earlier:p)
S0z for caps.

(This post was edited by Thoromir on Sep 19 2012, 7:34pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 7:35pm

Post #18 of 52 (817 views)
Shortcut
Where is he in the column? [In reply to] Can't Post

The only one that sort of matches your description is at the very front.

I am watching it from a 1080p download on my desktop from Apple trailers in full screen, going frame by frame and I don't see him.

The guy at the head of the column has a blue robe on... black hair and has a glimmering sword right behind his back.

Maybe I'm looking in a different place than you.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Sep 19 2012, 7:44pm

Post #19 of 52 (823 views)
Shortcut
is NOT Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know exactly who is, but definitely NOT Gandalf. It appears to be FILI, who has long and almost blond hair. I downloaded the FULL HD version.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 7:47pm

Post #20 of 52 (775 views)
Shortcut
Look in the middle [In reply to] Can't Post

He passes under the A-frame. I don't think it's Gandalf, but I'm not sure who it is supposed to be either.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 7:47pm

Post #21 of 52 (811 views)
Shortcut
I am not particularly worried even if this is the case, and here's why [In reply to] Can't Post

For a moment I was worried about your (very good and viable) point, but then I thought to myself: "How else would they escape, i.e. who else would rescue them? Bilbo? Too early in the game. I think not. Rivendell Elves/White Council/Anyone else? 99.99% sure no. One of the other Dwarves? no logical reason for it."

Therefore, if anyone is to rescue the Dwarves and Bilbo from this fate it must be Gandalf. Sure, he may do so without the sorcery, but without him saving the day I really don't see how this scene could work. Plus it would be a pointless and strenuous task for PJ and co. to try and come up with something "better" that didn't match the canon.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 19 2012, 7:49pm

Post #22 of 52 (778 views)
Shortcut
The walking pattern does not siggest the Grey wizard [In reply to] Can't Post

Found where you were talking about, but the man doesn't seem to have a robe, and is walking rather jauntedly. Does not seem like Gandalf at all, though I can see why you'd think so, given the hair. But on closer examination of the hair too, it swings in a way that indicates stiffness, which Gandalf's hair doesn't have. I don't think it's the Grey wizard.

Macfeast
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 7:52pm

Post #23 of 52 (756 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin? [In reply to] Can't Post

He is slightly taller than the rest of the dwarves.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Sep 19 2012, 7:54pm)

Istaris'staffs
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 7:52pm

Post #24 of 52 (766 views)
Shortcut
That's not Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it wouldn't make much sense to change it.

dalecooper
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 7:53pm

Post #25 of 52 (842 views)
Shortcut
Here is who I believe everyone to be in that shot. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is near the beginning (like the 2nd or 3rd frame) so as many people as possible are in the shot. Everyone not labeled here is a goblin (or I overlooked them):

http://imageshack.us/...19/4202/dwarvess.jpg

The only real candidates for Gandalf look-alikes, IMO, are Fili and Oin. If you look closely at Oin, that's clearly a dwarf. Fili is only seen from behind, mostly, and appears taller, but I think it's a trick - if you really stare at him his hair is more blond than gray, and he only looks tall because he's at the apex of the curved path and is standing up straighter than Ori, who passes through nearly the same spot kind of hunched over. If you follow Bofur's head a few frames later, he's exactly as tall going over that spot as Fili/fake Gandalf.

(This post was edited by dalecooper on Sep 19 2012, 7:55pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.