Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite trailer ending
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Favorite trailer ending
Gandalf
Bilbo
Sting
Gollum
Dwarves
View Results (55 votes)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 5:25pm

Post #1 of 33 (649 views)
Shortcut
Favorite trailer ending Can't Post

What is your favorite ending of the 2nd trailer for the hobbit?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 5:31pm

Post #2 of 33 (229 views)
Shortcut
Great poll! [In reply to] Can't Post

It has to be Sting (and Balin). Confirms that Glamdring is found in the Trolls hoard, and we get to hear Balin speak!

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 5:47pm

Post #3 of 33 (222 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf // [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 7:02pm

Post #4 of 33 (213 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Great moment and very funny. I also loved the moment where we discover that Glamdring is indeed found in the troll-hoard.

The only one I didn't like was the conversation about Smaug. The beginning was very funny, but somehow (in my opinion), Bilbo's faint was not convincing. Freeman was playing it almost sarcastically, and his expression and voice didn't, for me, bring out the true terror that Bilbo feels at this point in the book.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 7:22pm

Post #5 of 33 (223 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf for me, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are the moments I've wanted to see onscreen since the first time I watched FotR.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 8:07pm

Post #6 of 33 (219 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's faint [In reply to] Can't Post

Was very fake. Far too dramatic!

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 8:31pm

Post #7 of 33 (211 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Although there are things I liked and disliked about all the endings

Gandalf: This seems to be a universally popular character that fans of LOTR will instantly recognize.

Bilbo: I liked the reference to Smaug and I liked this ending quite a bit, but the Gandalf ending balances the humor a little more and gives a bit more credibility to Bilbo. I still think that the scene is a good one to have because it references a dangerous dragon.

Sting: Like the Bilbo scene, the humor is there in a way that brings more doubts up. The swords are very cool but I don't know if references to great deeds in some place called Gondolin are really going to mean a lot to a general audience.

Gollum: I liked this one quite a bit! Gollum is another character that fans should easily recognize. I think Gandalf has more of a fan-following, though, so that might be the better route to take for advertisement.

Dwarves: I laughed most at this, I think - just because of the great reactions of the dwarves. But it is just hard to beat Gandalf and Gollum for trying to draw in an audience that is aware (at least in a general way) of the great experience that LOTR was.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 33 (205 views)
Shortcut
Not dramatic enough I think [In reply to] Can't Post

If he's gonna faint he needs to actually faint. His eyes need to roll, his face needs to change. Instead this was just like, "Oops I fell over."

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 8:47pm

Post #9 of 33 (210 views)
Shortcut
Wow! No votes for Gollum yet? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised. I guess Gandalf is better but I really really really like the Gollum scene!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 8:48pm

Post #10 of 33 (241 views)
Shortcut
When you faint, you just collapse [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo does a little spin, and falls flat on his back (rigid). That's what I meant by being too dramatic.

It's the sort of thing you expect in a 1940s film, or theatre play.

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 8:56pm

Post #11 of 33 (207 views)
Shortcut
Gollum would be my second choice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Gandalf is just a mighty hard act for anything or anyone to follow Wink

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 9:12pm

Post #12 of 33 (200 views)
Shortcut
Ah, okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't seen to much of fainting on film but I thought he should look more alarmed.

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 9:21pm

Post #13 of 33 (204 views)
Shortcut
Something about that made me frown while I was watching it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is hard to judge because I just kept remembering how he reacted in the book which was so hilarious and that isn't what happened this time. I'm not sure how objective I am.

I don't know if maybe it is something with the timing moreso than than the level of drama. It didn't seem obviously over or under emotional. I don't know if the drop was quite fast enough. Maybe he stuttered for a fraction of a second too long? I'll have to watch that again.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 9:36pm

Post #14 of 33 (218 views)
Shortcut
I don't know enough about the technicalities of fainting [In reply to] Can't Post

Any medics in the TORnHouse?

It just doesn't look right. Too awkward.

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 9:44pm

Post #15 of 33 (213 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

the fact that he pronounced the word "no" fully, completely, correctly, and intentionally instead of falling in the middle of saying it before drawing out the "o" properly and without any lightening of the breath and control over speech at the end .... and the amount of time spent thinking ... made it look like a thought-out intentional reaction instead of a reaction to emotional shock that he couldn't control.

But ... no ... I am not an expert at fainting at all! Maybe that's really how fainting commonly occurs - not really sure.

imin
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 10:01pm

Post #16 of 33 (214 views)
Shortcut
fainting [In reply to] Can't Post

most common type is a vasovagal syncope which is what medics/dentists etc are taught how to deal with as a faint.

There are signs and symptoms but you dont just randomly spin and fall on your back like Bilbo in the clip. In real life he would have sat down or laid down and then slumped in the chair or to the floor. Once lying down (or having the head below the chest) then blood flow goes back to the brain and the person regains consciousness. The person can faint again if they try to stand up/sit up too fast.

He would look pale, sweating, and not be making a massive amount of sense in some people, though others i have seen able to talk completely normal and faint in a matter of seconds. He would also be a little distracted as his ears are most likely ringing and he would be getting tunnel vision.

Happens a fair amount of time when giving a local anaesthetic. you know who faints the most often? Big stocky guys - the ones you would think are most unlikely to faint!

Overall it doesnt happen at all like how bilbo fainted and it looks super fake but its the classic hollywood faint and was done for comic effect rather than medical accuracy i think :P

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 10:05pm

Post #17 of 33 (195 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this imin :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why they didn't make it medically accurate. It could still be funny, and still be accurate!

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 10:14pm

Post #18 of 33 (222 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen much real fainting. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like there is wider variation in it than I had thought.
I was thinking about alcohol and illness related fainting which would make sense to be different than this kind of fainting.
In any case, from what you say it sounds as if this is a highly personal thing that depends more on the individual subject than anything.

I guess Bilbo just seemed so totally "with it" - both in his speech his situation awareness ... but I think it works as a comedic moment.
(And who knows - maybe someone in his situation would do that on purpose ... kind of like "playing possum" and hoping to be left alone - that kind of sounds like something Bilbo might try)

Thanks for this excellent info Cool

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 2:08am

Post #19 of 33 (193 views)
Shortcut
Sting [In reply to] Can't Post

More Elrond! Although why does he make Glamdring so difficult sounding?

But I liked Bilbo and Balin's conversation. Bilbo seemed very upset that Sting hadn't seen battle Laugh

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 2:08am

Post #20 of 33 (193 views)
Shortcut
The way Gandalf is riding that horse [In reply to] Can't Post

seems so stiff and rigid and weird. I don't like it Unimpressed

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20 2012, 2:24am

Post #21 of 33 (177 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

they're afraid that if it seemed medically accurate, the audience would be more likely to worry than laugh. It's not nice to laugh at someone who's really unwell. The fakeness relieves possible guilt.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 6:55am

Post #22 of 33 (183 views)
Shortcut
He does seem very stiff [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps he has a bad back!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 6:55am

Post #23 of 33 (210 views)
Shortcut
Would people laugh regardless? [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially if it is followed by a Dwarf joke?

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 7:40am

Post #24 of 33 (198 views)
Shortcut
So, this is definitely -not- realistic then? :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

Balin and sting were my fav in any case.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 9:15am

Post #25 of 33 (171 views)
Shortcut
It's a movie [In reply to] Can't Post

And wouldn't you faint if you knew that you would be set aflame by a huge dragon? Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.