Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Imdb Disappointed Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 3:15pm

Post #26 of 209 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Someone else has claimed that was part of the Goblin Town battle . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . maybe they are cutting things together that don't belong . . .
. . . I'll look again when I get home.

still reminded me more of King Kong than the Hobbit . . .

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 3:17pm

Post #27 of 209 (1490 views)
Shortcut
Whimsical IS the Hobbit . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . at least in my mind.
I'd have preferred a lot more whimsical and a lot less action movie fodder, myself.

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Ibach
The Shire

Sep 19 2012, 3:18pm

Post #28 of 209 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Stop Now [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no room at my table for people who tear down a film, a production crew, and a damn good director that have spent years producing this film and still are producing this film. This was a trailer. No Howard Shore music. No finished detailing. Do you really think they are going to include the best and most poignant moments from this film in a trailer? Or do you even want them too?! I for one do not! I absolutely despise trailers that give away the best moments and very heart of the film. This trailer gets me excited about the film which is exactly what it's supposed to do. I grow increasingly tired of people who criticize the work that hundreds of people have pored their hearts and souls into for years. It is not wise to do so. It is not good to do so. How about we all just watch the movie this December and take it in for what it is meant to be: an adaptation from an incredible and world class cast, crew, production team, and director. Long live Peter Jackson!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 19 2012, 4:12pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 3:18pm

Post #29 of 209 (1540 views)
Shortcut
No opinion is wrong, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

you're just jumping into all kinds of conclusions and very harshly judging PJ based on your hunches. It's not nice, it's not wise.

The Misty Mountain adventure being expanded is a sign of PJ trying turn the Hobbit into a LotR movie? With what logic? Hobbit already has a big battle native to it, so battles and epic fighting are NOT alien to the story. You're making that up. If they want to expand an action scene to be grander, it's still in the spirit of the Hobbit. There are many reasons to do this, and none of those need to be bad, unless you want to see it that way.

And too much garbage, too little storytelling? It's a fricking trailer for a fantasy action adventure movie, of course it concentrates on the fight scenes! And it's not like that was the all of it. There were plenty of story telling, athmosphere, sceneric beauty shots.

As for Thorin... if you don't like Armitage's acting, then you don't. I most heartily dissagree with you, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. He's a great actor and is doing finely as a grumpy yet regal Dwarf king.

But of course you're entitled to your opinions. I'm not trying to say you'd need to shut up or anything stupid like that. I just wanted to defend my opinion, too.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 3:20pm

Post #30 of 209 (1454 views)
Shortcut
how about [In reply to] Can't Post

the official come off it thread.

Heart

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

dalecooper
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 3:21pm

Post #31 of 209 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. And I think anyone super-concerned about the prevalent action... [In reply to] Can't Post

...will be surprised when they see the actual film. Look how much attention is being paid to the beginning of the story, in both trailers as well as the v-logs. We're going to be spending a lot of time in The Shire and Bag End, hearing stories told and songs sung. Don't get too exercised about a little combat with goblins, because that will surely be far less of the movie (by percentage) than it is of the trailer.

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 3:25pm

Post #32 of 209 (1452 views)
Shortcut
ALL opinions are welcome at this forum [In reply to] Can't Post

, whether you like them or not.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 19 2012, 4:05pm)

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Sep 19 2012, 3:26pm

Post #33 of 209 (1465 views)
Shortcut
LOVED IT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like that, we're back in Middle-Earth. Everything looks perfect and, unlike 13 years ago, I'm finally able to "trust PJ."

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

imin
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 3:29pm

Post #34 of 209 (1419 views)
Shortcut
The exact opposite of me, haha! // [In reply to] Can't Post

tiamy
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 3:33pm

Post #35 of 209 (1431 views)
Shortcut
I think being 'disappointed' by the trailer at this point... [In reply to] Can't Post

....can be a good thing. It helps lower the expectations.
I would rather be disappointed now than be disappointed in the final film.

The opposite happened to me with PJ's King Kong. The production diaries are cool, the trailers are awesome but I do find the final film overlong and underwhelming.

Until now, I still cant believe how PJ managed to exceed all my high expectations on ROTK. But if you come to think of it, the ROTK trailer showed less of the action/war and focused on the drama. ROTK film has a lot of drama and action.

I am hoping PJ will still get the balance right on The Hobbit.

Peace!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 3:45pm

Post #36 of 209 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Meh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have to agree...'meh' is about how Ifeel about it so far... It was all rather anti-climactic - but I do realize that is the nature of these sorts of trailers, cherry-picking the stuff they want you to see, that will bring in the biggest audience. You don't get a real idea of how the actual movie will pan out. It may be a taste, but the true recipe will hopefully contain far more subtle flavours as well as these ones that burst with full force on the tongue!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 3:53pm

Post #37 of 209 (1335 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

TH is not LOTR.

Major differences include a greater emphasis on dwarves, the lack of rangers, less royalty displayed in its grandiose importance, a villain that is more wild and terrifyingly destructive than diabolically politically dominating.

It seems like the inclusion of Dol Guldur vs WC is an important feature to include in order to put some of the missing elements in - but it only covers some of those missing elements and does not emphasize them nearly as much.
Even BO5A is not the same as Helm's Deep and the Pellenor fields in that the armies are much more representative of wild faerie creatures and the people who interact with them (of varying stations in life) rather than the glorious pinnacles of human authority and the hidden powers that be working behind them.

For some, these differences will make TH less than LOTR, for me I feel I will like TH better.
I really loved this trailer! Although the one thing that disappointed me was not getting another song - I did just adore that song in the first trailer. It totally rocked! I hope they have lots of good songs - the material really lends itself to making a killing there.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 3:55pm

Post #38 of 209 (1375 views)
Shortcut
I thought the trailer was interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

but there were somethings that just didn't do it for me...

1, Still not liking the bunny sled idea, or Radagast's hobo dirty look covered in bird poop
2, Gollum just not scary enough, He's too peppy and upbeat for being alone for so long and being the murderous skulking scoundrel that Tolkien wrote in the book... Not liking the tone of Riddles in the dark at all so far.
3, Bilbo yelling at some random Hobbit that he is "going on an adventure"
4, the amount of non book material involved thus far
5, and as some people have stated the whole "Narnia" type feel of the trailer
6, the emphasis of the ring, the Hobbit was never and should never be about the ring at all in any context

Things I did like

1, Elrond looking at Glamdring, which hints to me its found in Trollshaws
2, The arrival of the dwarves
3, the whole multiple ending thing was pretty cool ( my favorites being the Gandalf one and the Sting one)
4, The Stone Giants

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 19 2012, 4:00pm

Post #39 of 209 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Please, everyone remember, you can move on.. you dont have to read, or post, in this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

...but at least let everyone else have their say. If personal comments start getting peppered in, let an Admin know or post on Feedback. Otherwise, there are plenty of other fun thread today - so go find one!! Laugh

And, welcome, by the way, Ibach! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 19 2012, 4:02pm)

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 4:01pm

Post #40 of 209 (1315 views)
Shortcut
Neh [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why you'd come into a "disappointed" thread and tell everyone to stop being disappointed. We all have our opinions and some of us aren't happy with what we're seeing. PJ's vision is not necessarily my vision, or others vision.

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 4:03pm

Post #41 of 209 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

"No opinion is wrong, but . . ."

Everyone has their own unique opinion because each person has their own frame of reference, their own experiences and their own preferences about things . . . these effect how a person perceives things and opinions develop from there.

Some of our TROnsibs are here because the first saw the LOTR films and loved them . . . I doubt that some of them have fully read the series. These folks are largely loving the trailer because it fits their image of Middle Earth, a vision enspired by Peter Jackson's epics.

I'm an old guy, and I come from a much simpler time when my favorite movies were Kelly's Heroes and the old Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movies. My first read of the Hobbit was, I believe 1971. I read it eight or ten times before I saw the Rankin/Bass Hobbit in 1978 or so.
I have a preferred vision of the Hobbit. I am apprecietive to Peter Jackson for pushing to create these films, 'cause we may not have ever seen them in film otherwise.
However, I am not a huge PJ fan, nor do I like a lot of what was done in the LOTR series.

As someone who has been disappointed by PJ before, and with my preference for a kinder, gentler Hobbit . . . I see in the trailer all of the things that I didn't like in the LOTR films . . . and a vision that does not appear to be true to the book that I read . . .
. . . I am disapointed.
And, lets be honest, speculation is what we do here . . . . . . . . .

I hope It didn't seem as if I was attacking you personally . . .I'm simply venting on a thread intended for venting their disappointment.

I believe that you and I agree on topics more often than not . . . so, here, we will have to agree to disagree.
. . . nand I can only hope that you are right and it is more to my liking than I think it will be . . .Evil

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Sep 19 2012, 4:04pm

Post #42 of 209 (1355 views)
Shortcut
Not so much disappointed as wary [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of this looks wonderful: the 'grounded' fairy feeling to the Shire scenes, Martin Freeman's wonderfully British Bilbo, Gandalf the Grey, nighttime in Rivendell, the stone giants.... and Radagast looks like an absolutely delicious character. Already in 3 seconds of screentime one can sense a definite sadness about him. Also, the overall look of the film feels different to LotR but is not as glossy or artificial as the still shots would have us believe.

On the other hand, Thorin is looking persistently dull so far, Gollum has no sense of danger about him, and the procession of dwarf head-butting and action sequences is definitely tiring. (Also, digital wargs aren't really my thing; they were great in the scroll, but here they already look stupid.) The trailer has no sense of rhythm or beauty... in that sense it's a mess. But if it's just the trailer's problem, who cares? I just hope the good outweighs the bad in the final film; but more importantly, I hope our movie is coherent and fluid, which this trailer certainly isn't.

(This post was edited by HiddenSpring on Sep 19 2012, 4:14pm)

Corsair of Umbar

Sep 19 2012, 4:11pm

Post #43 of 209 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know if I'm disappointed, just feeling..meh.

I have none of the goose bumps I felt when LotR launched. Then again, we're all older and hopefully wiser, and have been bombarded with a lot of fantasy films and TV shows since those great golden days of the Trilogy.

I love PJ but this doesn't look like the Hobbit I read and fell in love with forty-some years ago.

Always the hype. Three movies? C'mon...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 4:11pm

Post #44 of 209 (1414 views)
Shortcut
I agree... hated it [In reply to] Can't Post

This trailers taken me by surprise, and right now I hate it. I realise hate's a strong word, but I think it's how I feel. My view may change over time, but I don't know. I don't understand why they had to turn Middle-earth into a parody of itsself?

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Sep 19 2012, 4:12pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 4:14pm

Post #45 of 209 (1349 views)
Shortcut
Oh no :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of negative reactions. Is there anything specific you don't like QT?

You know what I wish they had done? Toned down on the comedy, and shown other scenes. I think people would have accepted it more.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 4:14pm

Post #46 of 209 (1289 views)
Shortcut
everyone is entitled to their own opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its starting to look too much like Narnia than middle earth which is not a good thing. Yes Peter Jackson has spent lots of time and effort into these films but it doesn't mean that everything he is doing is the right thing to do just because he is doing it. Peter Jackson isn't perfect and every director is capable of making bad decisions and films Peter Jackson included.

Riddles in the dark is a prime example of that so far. Gollum was terrifying to Bilbo, menacing and threatening, not joking and talking sweetly to him. the only scene with Gollum that comes close to the book Gollum was the one where Gollum was where he was talking harshly. "shut up!" "Wasn't talking to you" are the only lines given that remind me of the book creature. Other than that I see Gollum so far as a failure because he is nothing like the murderer from the book.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 4:30pm

Post #47 of 209 (1266 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't look too cute here - [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum just not scary enough, He's too peppy and upbeat for being alone for so long and being the murderous skulking scoundrel that Tolkien wrote in the book.

2:03 in the (Youtube) trailer.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 4:31pm

Post #48 of 209 (1308 views)
Shortcut
It just doesn't feel like PJ's Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

It feels like a different universe. One could say that the book of The Hobbit feels different to LotR. But I thought the reason they were including Dol Guldur was to tie the two stories together? So one would expect some atmospheric continuity. I'm hoping that the tone becomes more serious as we get to film 3, I remember an interview where Martin Freeman asked PJ "when are we doing the serious stuff?" and PJ said "it's coming" so I imagine the tone will evolve as the story progresses.

I still have my fingers crossed that the films will be good. But I really hate how this trailer looks and feels. They needed to wow people with this, and for me it just doesn't work Unsure

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 4:33pm

Post #49 of 209 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully, [In reply to] Can't Post

the emphasis of the ring, the Hobbit was never and should never be about the ring at all in any context

- the emphasis is more on 'Bilbo's magic ring', than the 'One Ring'.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 4:36pm

Post #50 of 209 (1242 views)
Shortcut
I think it's just the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

They've padded it with comedy and CGI, I'll admit that. And yes, it has a different feel to it. I'm hoping this is just for the trailer, and that the majority of the film isn't full of silly comedy.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.