DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 2:42pm

Post #51 of 219 (1503 views)
Shortcut
Most definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Followed by the bunnies!

It's a shame a Spider destroys his house! Frown

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 2:43pm

Post #52 of 219 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Now that I think of it, there's something I'm dissapointed with [In reply to] Can't Post

It only has material of so and so many scenes. Mainly the unexpected party, the troll fight and the journey over and under the Misty Mountains. Some short shots from other scenes as well. But more variety would have been nice. To see larger vistas, to have better understanding of how grande an adventure we're about to go to, how immense a world we're about to be lost into.

I'm not really whining; everything that we saw was good. I just kind of wished even more... Sly

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

imin
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 2:43pm

Post #53 of 219 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Looks good [In reply to] Can't Post

The first thing i noticed was how good Richard Armitage sounds as Thorin and i think he will overcome the short comings of his design - i know people here like the look of him but for me there is something not right about the prosthetics on his face - still i think the actor will overcome and i am really looking forward to seeing what he does with the character.

Bilbo - i think Martin Freeman is an excellent choice for Bilbo, always have and i think this trailer highlights his comic timing perfectly.

I also think radagast and Bofur will be fan favs.

I am not sure what to think of the Avatar like waterfalls and crystals and in a deep shade of blue or radagast on a bunny sledge - i dont think they feel like ME but whatever its not a strict adaptation so i can live with it. Radagast himself looks good and different enough from everyone else that he stands out.

the images were crystal clear on the itunes trailer - the scenery looked just beautiful - i have to visit New Zealand before one day. Hobbiton looked fantastic as did Dol Guldur - as someone said Dol Guldur was perfectly gothic.

Sometimes i felt it looked very fake but this could have been as the images were so sharp or a lot of it CGI im not sure.

I can definitely see how people think it looks like Narnia - i think it comes across in the tone more than anything.

It is certainly not like the LOTR trilogy from PJ - if im honest i thought he would do something closer to that, but this seems to be targeting a younger audience and keeping in tone with the book - i imagine it gets darker and more serious as the trilogy progresses.

Overall i think it is good but just a little worried it may come over in the cinema as looking fake/plastic what with the load of prosthetics and CGI.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 2:45pm

Post #54 of 219 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think it is! / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 2:45pm

Post #55 of 219 (1502 views)
Shortcut
Is there a green tint over that shot of a glacier? / [In reply to] Can't Post

kzer_za
Lorien

Sep 19 2012, 2:46pm

Post #56 of 219 (1529 views)
Shortcut
A few small reservations, but I really liked it [In reply to] Can't Post

What I liked:
- Almost all the bag end stuff is great. Tolkien's humor is intact.
- The visuals.
- Gandalf and Galadriel's conversation is well-acted.
- The Necromancer stuff doesn't get much screen time and is clearly a B-plot.
- Armitage! Freeman was great too but Thorin actually impressed me more.
- Radagast. It looks like he'll just be eccentric instead of a bumbling idiot as some feared.

Iffy about:
- Dwalin and Balin's headbutting
- Bilbo fighting a goblin. If he's losing until a dwarf rescues him or if he just fends him so he can run away then I'm okay with it, if he's actually becoming a warrior at this point them I'm not.

Don't like:
- The music is pretty dull. Fortunately this won't be in the movie.
- The ending. Such a generic way to end a trailer, and a pretty cliched joke. Hopefully it'll work better in the context of the movie.

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 19 2012, 2:47pm

Post #57 of 219 (1506 views)
Shortcut
I liked it alot but not perfect. [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the humour, cinematography and 'Mithrandir!' but not sure about Sylvester Mcoy (though given there's barely six pages on Radagast I can't really complain) or making the Stone Gaints into a action heavy sequence (I was never entirely sure if it was a metaphor or not). Richard Armitage is not what I pictured Thorin to be-but he seems like he will do a good job, and the action sequences could be a bit too 'epic'...but hey it only two minutes and Its goin to be great anyway...

Love the way they've expanded Rivendell...and Is that Dol Goldor at the begining and The Great Goblin at the end?

Smile

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 2:47pm

Post #58 of 219 (1509 views)
Shortcut
What I appreciate about this trailer is how balanced it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

You have the (IMO) delightful humor, glimpses of great scope and action...but there are also glimpses of scenes in which it looks like PJ let his fantastic cast just do what they do best (Galadriel's conversation with Gandalf, Riddles in the Dark).

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 2:49pm

Post #59 of 219 (1464 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, good one! [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's not important who says it, but that somebody says it!"

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 2:49pm

Post #60 of 219 (1533 views)
Shortcut
So the sun doesn't creep over the top of the trees ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf uses his staff to break apart the rocky outcrop letting the Sun in. Does quite have the same ring to it! Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 2:52pm

Post #61 of 219 (1482 views)
Shortcut
At 2.12 Bifur is holding a toy of an eagle! [In reply to] Can't Post

Must be from Rivendell. I reckon Bilbo is reacting to the crack in the cave becoming wider!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 2:53pm

Post #62 of 219 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Bifur doesn't seem to react at all [In reply to] Can't Post

There's also a shot of him in Bag End with a very blank stare.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 2:54pm

Post #63 of 219 (1509 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm...looks "okay", but was expecting better than "okay". [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the sinking feeling TH will not come close to the greatness of LotR (and NO, not just because it's lighter). It really does look like standard Hollywood fare - cheesy, over-the-top, over-reliance on CGI (the Goblins/Wargs look REALLY digital, although admittedly work is probably not completed yet - I sort-of like the new Goblin designs, through - but the porcupines/hedgehogs or whatever they were gave me Indy 4 flashbacks). However, fortunately this seems to confirm Rhosgobel is in Film 1 (yay)! Also, looks like a glimpse of Dol Guldur in the distance in the opening montage? I agree it looks closer to Narnia or Tintin than LotR...it doesn't exhibit the artistry, grace, and yes, subtly, of PJ's earlier trilogy IMO, which was evident even in the trailers. I know, TH is NOT LotR...but to me, it doesn't look like the ideal TH I'd have wanted/expected from PJ. And the Goblin King gag is just slight overkill (not to mention predictable/lame).

I think it looks like a good enough time at the theater...but I don't think it'll be joining the LotR trilogy as three of my favorite films of all time.

Will probably be heckled for not jumping on the love bandwagon...but there it is. TongueCool

Of course, will wait until the film comes out before passing final judgement (as I recommend should be the case for all of us). Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Sep 19 2012, 3:02pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Post #64 of 219 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Yes, definitely the Goblin King.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Post #65 of 219 (1454 views)
Shortcut
And there's two other hedgehogs on his table! [In reply to] Can't Post

The other one is apprently eating from a plate. Evil How unsurprising that Radagast is one of those people who let their pets sit on the table and eat people's food from the plates.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Sep 19 2012, 2:58pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Post #66 of 219 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Too much in ore of his toy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I am too! It looks brilliant.

Perhaps he has a personality of a child?

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 2:58pm

Post #67 of 219 (1446 views)
Shortcut
Omg the hedgehogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Love them. I want one now.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 2:59pm

Post #68 of 219 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure now it indeed is a spider! [In reply to] Can't Post

Spider attack in Rhosgobel?

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 19 2012, 3:01pm

Post #69 of 219 (1381 views)
Shortcut
Better than I hoped [In reply to] Can't Post

Don'tike the "Dark Knight" style music--it feels weird for E-e--but we all knew there'd be no Shore contribution this time around. That''s OK--we know he's busy! Smile

Intial thoughs before I run out the door on my afternoon's adventure--

1) I like how Peter is tailoring this for a film-centric general audience (as if there's anyone who hasn't read TH), he spells out the story in exact detail. Although I am a little peeved at WB insisting "from the director of LOTR", I can only imagine what Guillermo will think as he watches that.

2) *LOVE LOVE LOVE* Radagast--he is perfect--even the bunny sledge. I thought it would be corny Narnia-like giant bunnies lolloping through the woods with Radgast smiling like Father Christmas. But these are more like galloping steeds--specially bred "carriage rabbits." I can live with that. And not a bad way for Radgast to make a dramtic entrace!
As for the Brown Wizard--he is PERFECT...his voice is perfect. Philippa is right--a lot of people are going to love this character. And if this is ho animals talk--fine with me. IS the hedgehog conveying the phyisical pain felt at the prescence of the Necromancer, writhing in torture? What a great way to convey the message. Like the worms writhing over Frodo's shoulder in the prescense of the Wraith.

3)**Great Howard Shore musical moment alert**--Bilbo first beholding Rivendell. I Love the contrast to Frodo's reaction, and even Sam's. When Frodo walks onto that balcony, it's like, "Ok, right, so this is Rivendell." Perhaps its b/c of what he's just been through, and the burden of the Ring. As well as this place is not unknown--they've red descriptions and heard Biblo's accounts. But Bilbo is *utterly gobsmacked.* As well he should be. I love how Peter is making the audience see through Bilbo's eyes here--we too will be like Frodo, "Oh, yeah, that's Rivendell," but with help from Shore, we'll rediscver our initial sense of awe at the images.we saw in FOTR. We are seeing the greater wonders of M-e through a humble hobbiit's eyes,even the camera angle has us looking up from a hobbit's small height. We are meant to be like children first discoverng the wonders of M-e. Bilbo knows absolutely nothing of the world beyond the Shire. We are meant to fall in love here. It'll be a challenge for Peer, but I think Shore can pull it off! Might we see a new Rivendell theme?

**I'm GETTNG SHIVERS at this scene already**!

Plus--I'm not as peeved at the map thing. It looks like there's an invented part of Rivendell--The "Chamber of Moonlight" or something, where Elrond reads moon-runes. That's not as corny as it looked before...
More to come--bu those are my first impressions...

LATER

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Sep 19 2012, 3:05pm)

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Sep 19 2012, 3:01pm

Post #70 of 219 (1411 views)
Shortcut
This trailer looks 100% PJ, with a bit more lightness - I really fail to get the "Narnia/Tintin/Over-The-Top!" accusations [In reply to] Can't Post

"Cheesy, Hollywood, over-the-top" is pretty much what a lot of the people who don't like the original trilogy say about them. I see nothing in this trailer that is far removed from PJ's work in the trilogy - perhaps it looks a touch lighter, but his DNA is all over this. Is it just me?

I would argue that the same artistry and grace from the trilogy is evident in this trailer (at the very least, I think a lot of the shots are identifiable as the work of PJ, which I can't say for the anonymous directors who have tackled films like the Narnia series and not distinguished themselves stylistically), but I understand this is a subjective matter and not easily argued.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Sep 19 2012, 3:05pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 19 2012, 3:02pm

Post #71 of 219 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't there a quiz on facebook (or somewhere else) [In reply to] Can't Post

Where the answer was a spider attack on Rhosgobel? And everyone was confused?

ghost2-14
The Shire

Sep 19 2012, 3:03pm

Post #72 of 219 (1351 views)
Shortcut
Which seconds exactly? [In reply to] Can't Post

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Sep 19 2012, 3:03pm

Post #73 of 219 (1361 views)
Shortcut
I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

It has an epic scope, heart, a sense of wonder and adventure, whimsy, comedy, a tinge of darkness and danger and, in Radagst, a sense of sadness. Loved seeing the Stone Ginats. Loved seeing Elrond again. Loved the vistas. Loved Martin Freeman as Bilbo. Loved the scenes in Bad End. Loved it all.

My favourite part? Gollum setting the stakes for the riddles. Perfect.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 3:04pm

Post #74 of 219 (1381 views)
Shortcut
And I'm fully expecting the Hobbit trilogy to be better movies than the LotR trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Btw the LotR movies are both cheesy and over the top as hell in many points. Tongue This just looks like a trailer for a PJ movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2012, 3:05pm

Post #75 of 219 (1358 views)
Shortcut
Yes. 8) [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually no, clearly not. But seriously, I LOOOVVVE PJ's LotR, and until recently, I was a major TH cheerleader. But this too me looks like PJ, conforming to the current Hollywood mindset of "aim for the very young"...and not in a good way.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.