The Imdb Disappointed Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 4:51am

Post #201 of 209 (1313 views)
Shortcut
I can certainly see why that might be insulting [In reply to] Can't Post

But honestly, if you love something, and it inspires you, then there is no reason to be threatened by the opinions of others.

I think PJ's LOTR films are very subpar - bad, for the most part, with a few flashes of visual beauty and authenticity. I think Peter Jackson is an immature, sloppy, artistically tone-deaf and overly-emotional director, and enjoy none of his films, apart from Heavenly Creatures. I would much rather have seen an Alfonso Cuaron, or someone of his caliber, take on the project.

But that's all just my opinion.

If the films, and the man, inspired you to try your hand at film-making, then be content with it. You do not need to fight (and occasionally ridicule) those who feel differently.

Ibach
The Shire

Sep 21 2012, 6:24am

Post #202 of 209 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Music [In reply to] Can't Post

I propose that the majority of people's disappointments with this trailer, dealing with the non-middle-earth feel, was nearly 80% due to the music that was used. The music clearly has the Narnia theme hidden within, which I'm not sure people have realized this as the reason why you instantly thought of Narnia. The melody was SO eerily similar. I challenge everyone to watch the trailer again and imagine it with the Howard Shore music that we all know and love and you might be pleasantly surprised at what we have with this trailer! Music will make or break a film. If you look at the most successful movies, what do they all have in common? A fantastic and memorable score! Something you can walk away from, feeling as if you've been a part of the world. What did Narnia have? A very average and cliche score. Well, that's the only real thing I saw missing from this trailer. The music that was used was not Howard Shore and it came as a horrible shock to a lot of people. Music has EVERYTHING to do with the feeling and tone we perceive from film. Absolutely everything! Take away the soundtrack from a terrifying horror film and replace it with the Beatles and you have something that is just ridiculously comical. The soundtrack, again, means absolutely everything. All will be made right come December 14th!

(This post was edited by Ibach on Sep 21 2012, 6:30am)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 7:49am

Post #203 of 209 (1273 views)
Shortcut
I think we should accept - [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually not even close to the feel of the book..

- that we all 'feel' the book (or books) differently.

(I've been tempted to tell people that they're 'just not touchin' it right'.)

My take on Tolkien - the Professor was always developing his work. His stories were always works in progress, even after they'd been published, right until his final days.

I suspect (and there is some evidence of this) that even after the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings had been published, there were things in them that he'd wished he'd written differently. Even when he abandoned his attempt to rewrite the Hobbit, it does not necessarily mean that he really wanted to. And when he attempted to write a sequel to the Lord of the Rings, he realised that Middle-Earth was now a less magical place, due to the events of the earlier books.

He did not write the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, so that they could be adapted as screenplays, either. I also believe Peter Jackson and Co took quite a risk in adapting the books as closely as they did. The movies weren't quite as faithful as I would have liked, but as far as I'm concerned, they came quite close.

I do wonder how the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings would have turned out if Tolkien had written them in current times.

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 7:55am

Post #204 of 209 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you on Avatar... [In reply to] Can't Post

...being intensely overrated - I scratch my head on that one as much as you. But then again, I also scratch my head when I hear names as Malick and Cuaron being tossed around as better directors as PJ. What I think of Cuaron.... Tongue

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 8:20pm

Post #205 of 209 (1148 views)
Shortcut
yes its true [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit it, I am a book fanatic. I am also a film fanatic, and they both co-exist without too many problems. I recently saw an a film adaptation of The Tempest, in which Prospero was played by a woman, Helen Mirren to be exact, bit of a risk but as it turns out the change in gender actually brought something fresh and interesting to the story. Kurosawa transported Macbeth to feudal Japan. So there are adaptations which respect and enrich the original even though they are substantially altered, and there are others that use the original as a vehicle for self promotion and those who use screenwriters who completely fail to grasp the heart and soul of the story for whatever reason. I happen to think in general when PJ sticks to the source material he does a good job, and when he invents and over eggs the pudding its quite painful to watch.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 21 2012, 8:41pm

Post #206 of 209 (1145 views)
Shortcut
yes me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have loved to see Alfonso Cuaron film LOTR. He has a subtle and delicate touch. That desecrator David Yates pilfered all of Cuarons artistic motifs in his appalling HP films.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Sep 21 2012, 8:43pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 22 2012, 2:33am

Post #207 of 209 (1140 views)
Shortcut
Disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a little disappointed no one noticed I was being ironic here as well. Not in praising you of course, but in calling a discussion of the word vulgar argumentum ad captandum vulgus.

I suppose it's rather vulgar of me to mention this at all... and ironic (ack I'm caught in a loop!) Laugh

It occurs to me that we need more word threads around here.

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 22 2012, 6:05am

Post #208 of 209 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Do you think [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a deliberate attempt to invalidate the content?

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 22 2012, 12:53pm

Post #209 of 209 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Many personal and confrontational comments and posts have been deleted [In reply to] Can't Post

To innocent bystanders who's posts were 'collateral damage' - apologies. To those who can't state their opinions without being confrontational and/or belittling or dismissing the opinions of others, further comments to those effects will get this thread locked.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.