Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The English trailer is live!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 1:31am

Post #201 of 219 (765 views)
Shortcut
I'm with ya [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it. I could have used Howard Shore in there but I've not seen anything that gives me pause at all. The mileage will vary for some and if they don't like it more power to them. I think Jackson has done it again which doesn't surprise me as I do think he's the man to leave to Middle-Earth with Tolkien no longer with us of course.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 1:33am

Post #202 of 219 (765 views)
Shortcut
Disgareed [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books, LOTR and the Hobbit, Tolkien is very careful about language and dialogue, and who says what is very much a part of his characterizations, and commentary on different modes of speech, and different types of characters and heros.

Loosely cutting dialogue, and giving it to other characters, just because its "Tolkien" isn't necessarily a good practice.

IMO, it does matter.

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 20 2012, 1:58am

Post #203 of 219 (744 views)
Shortcut
Wondeful post Owain. [In reply to] Can't Post

You've said all that I wished to say.

Just one thing--I apparently missed the "discussions" of Radgast's "demise." Tell me where Peter got Tolkien's official say-so to kill off one of the Istari? For good? I haven't finished Unfinished Tales...if this is true I will be VERY upset. I love Radagast already, and if he is killed off even in AUJ, it might affect me more than Gandalf falling in Moria, music and all...

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 2:05am

Post #204 of 219 (717 views)
Shortcut
Well thank you, Sunflower :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe Seņor Jackson has the approval for the esteemed Radagast's demise.

I think people (including myself) were just theorizing.

I was really struck by his extremely gentle nature/voice.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 2:26am

Post #205 of 219 (710 views)
Shortcut
Does it look like the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because it's light/"funny" doesn't make it whimsical/charming ALA the novel.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Sep 20 2012, 2:27am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 2:33am

Post #206 of 219 (777 views)
Shortcut
There's light-hearted, and then there's "live-action cartoon". [In reply to] Can't Post

The worry is that it's reminiscent of the later.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 20 2012, 2:42am

Post #207 of 219 (705 views)
Shortcut
Seemed like it was charming to me. See the 4 alternate endings. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2012, 3:40am

Post #208 of 219 (688 views)
Shortcut
I did like bits from the alt. endings actually...particularly Gandy and Balin. // [In reply to] Can't Post

stormcrow20
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 6:52am

Post #209 of 219 (690 views)
Shortcut
Trailer #2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally! Overall, I'm excited and I enjoyed it! I do have mixed feelings, though not to any extreme. A few of my thoughts:

Pro
Loving the dwarves and their energy, as usual.
Stone giants!
Gandalf and Galadriel.
Thorin's attitude toward Elrond!
Glad to see Radagast! So far, I like him.
I actually like Dwalin and Balin's affectionate headbutt.
Rivendell looks amazing.

Con
Cutesy Smeagol. I want to see sneaky, calculating Gollum in control.
The (presumed) Great Goblin falling on the dwarves and "You got to be joking". Ridiculous.
Radagast's bird feces.
Bunny sled. Works much better than I imagined, but I still don't care for it.
Gandalf's opening lines seem strained.
Bilbo's...Shatner-ized comment...on visitors.

Now I'm off to check out the alternate endings!

Rolfina
Rivendell

Sep 20 2012, 7:25am

Post #210 of 219 (655 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's...Shatner-ized comment...on visitors. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are referring to the off voice from when Bilbo was looking through the window and Fili & Kili were at his doorstep. Was that Bilbo though? I thought it didn't sound like Freeman, especially as the voice was referring to "Hobbit", and at first I secretly hoped it was a snippet from Beorn, as the quote would fit that scene as well. But then it might be more likely to be from Elrond.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 7:28am

Post #211 of 219 (617 views)
Shortcut
It's definitely Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it sounds odd just because it has been taken out of context. The pauses may be because of Bilbo keeping his eye on all the Dwarves, while talking to Gandalf.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 7:28am

Post #212 of 219 (634 views)
Shortcut
liked it all apart from a few small niggles [In reply to] Can't Post

Pro's.

Radagast, even after I was busy calling him a hobo and unclean the other day in another thread.

Trolls.

Gandalf's comments about Hobbits explaining one of his reasons for choosing him as a burglar. Reappropriated text from the book that works well in this case.

Goblin town, different to how I always imagined. I had always pictured tunnels and caves with minimal structures but this looks more interesting and makes more sense.

Great Goblin if that is him at the end.

Dol Guldur externally looks so scary in a less is more kind of way. It looks haunted and horrible, sparse and evil.

Thorins words about his dwarves.

Perfect visual continuity from the LOTR movies. If this is meant to be the same world told by the same people it has to look the same.

The shots of Thorin and Gandalf in the trees.

Bunny sled looks better than fine. If Beorn can have dogs on their hind legs as serving companions, this represents a similar sort of use of animals.

Thorin seems less of a pompus git than in the book and quite friendly to Bilbo. I realise it is a change but...well no reason I just like it.

Con's

Elrond proves he is a miserable git. In LOTR it could possibly be explained away due to Arwens fate. Here he is just being an egg when talking to Thorin about reclaiming the Lonely Mountain.

Dwarf head butt.

My only real dissapointment was that there was not more revealed, but that is just being greedy and I think my expectation of revelations was too much as we are quite spoiled with the access to information we have now days.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Sep 20 2012, 7:29am)

skylynx

Sep 20 2012, 2:12pm

Post #213 of 219 (493 views)
Shortcut
Good trailer (though could've been better) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a good trailer and more balanced than most blockbusters but like many have said previously, is slightly messy and doesn't have the emotional impact of say TTT and ROTK (perhaps those sets the bar too high).

The music was IMO poor in this trailer. Sometimes, that's the difference between a good trailer and a great one. With TTT and ROTK, when the music comes alive with Requiem for a Dream and the heart-churning Gondor theme, you suddenly feel a weight and understanding that this is going to be EPIC and emotional.

This trailer has the same impact to me as the FOTR trailers. Enough to get excited about the movie with all those action scenes but does not churn the heart. While I prefer the warmth and nostalgia of the first teaser, there are some scenes in this trailer that I really like.

* Radagast! OMG, that whole sequence was really beautiful and a great introduction to the character. You don't really know much about the character but just from those scenes alone, you can't help but love him. Those hedgehogs look fantastic (don't get where the bad CGI comments comes from).

* The Elven scenes were fantastic as normal and is so in keeping with LOTR. Loving the new spaces of Rivendell especially that moonlit sequence. Galadriel, nuff said.

* Three lines really struck me in the trailer. Gandalf saying Bilbo gives him courage. Thorin's words about loyalty and Gandalf's "Home is Behind You, the world is ahead". These come closest to capturing the emotional weight and sense of adventure that i would like in The Hobbit.

* Bilbo - very relatable and down to earth character. His scene in the alternate-trailer-ending is particular hilarious for me (where he faints). Though, his words at the beginning of the trailer seem awkward to me at first ; i.e. the part where he goes "but i do like to know them before they come....(pause)....visiting". I'm starting to think that this is just his character. Short and sharp.

* It's wonderful to see the natural vistas which PJ does so well in LOTR. Dol Goldur was very good and had that ruin/dark quality which i was hoping for.

Some things however weren't as good:

* The sheer amount of "recognisable" CGI shots in the teaser is particularly alarming. I agree with some comments that LOTR managed to mask it more by surrounding it with natural scenes, though i'm slightly concerned that this won't be as seamless in The Hobbit. Some shots of the Orcs running or being knocked off didn't seem polish to me.

* Digital Grading still needs to be improved. The dwarves makeups and prospective still look really off. For example, the exchange between Bilbo and Balin in the alternate-ending....Balin looks too red and the makeup really stands out. Not sure if digital grading will fix it but i really hope I won't have to think about these things in the actual movie.

With only 2 months to go really before the release, i'm not sure if they'll have enough time to correct the above two items. Here's hoping.

* Riddles in the Dark is not DARK enough for me. Doesn't have that sense of life-or-death and urgency to it from these scenes (hopefully will be a different story in the movie). Also I would've preferred that they dialed down the duality of Gollum - it's becoming too repetative.....perhaps the beginning of the passage would be more dark(Gollum's character) like how he treated Sam/Frodo.

* Music - can't leave without saying this again. Did absolutely nothing for this trailer. Also, the part when it should've kicked-in in angst (at 1:50) ended up sounding muted...i would've preferred it a bit louder and not drowned out.

Perhaps a bit nitpicky but I will always judge this in the context of past performance (e.g. especially against TTT/ROTK which really stood out to me as some of the best uber-blockbuster trailers of all-time)

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 20 2012, 2:23pm

Post #214 of 219 (520 views)
Shortcut
What happened to the Shire? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but is it just me, or does the Shire look oddly empty in the wide shots? You see Bag-End, the Green Dragon, and the rest is just green hills and fields. Maybe they just haven't painted in the background yet?

Edit:
Screencap

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Sep 20 2012, 2:24pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 3:02pm

Post #215 of 219 (485 views)
Shortcut
Is there a comparison shot anywhere? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Sam20
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 11:44pm

Post #216 of 219 (428 views)
Shortcut
Trailer (impression) [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the trailer, I've not been really impressed. There are nice pictures and visuals but as I expected the light storie of The Hobbit has been transformed somewhat into 'epic'. Not necesserily to his advantage though but for that I should have a better idea after seeing the entire film. The Bag End moment with the dwarves in this trailer seems so different of what I visualized when reading the book... *sigh* There is already some details in the trailer which are not in the book that has bothered me. (An it is only 2m36..) I guess that's what adaptations are and in any cases they're not the books and probably not intended to as well. Gollum is slightly younger, that's interesting. As for Radagast doesn't he seems a bit queer? Well, no hasty conclusion about this film but I should say I am not 'over the moon' by this trailer.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Sep 20 2012, 11:48pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 21 2012, 8:05am

Post #217 of 219 (384 views)
Shortcut
Not only that [In reply to] Can't Post

It also looks far more unnatural than similar shots from FOTR (where Hobbiton looked flawless).

There's a sort of artificial hazy glow to it.

The Shire was perfect in FOTR, and I see little reason for them to have changed it...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 4:50pm

Post #218 of 219 (367 views)
Shortcut
Disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Compare : http://lordoftherings.so-obsessed.com/TheFellowshipOfTheRing_EE/images/ariane179254_TheLordOfTheRings_TheFellowshipOfTheRing_01990.jpg

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/t19.jpg

For me the new look is much more accurate, smooth, with greater detail, less blurry ...as Magpie pointed out in the trailer analysis, the amount of information and detail that we can see even to the far distance is lovely lovely Heart

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 21 2012, 7:01pm

Post #219 of 219 (363 views)
Shortcut
All the action in FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Was due to Bilbo's 111th birthday. Everyone was busy getting it all set up while Bilbo sat in his study writing about how they were not very wise! Sly

Oh! And if you want action, in the teaser trailer you can see Bilbo in a market place with lots of people! Don't worry, the Shire should be just as fun as it was last time!

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 21 2012, 7:09pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.