Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - " in his eyes there seemed to be a white light,

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 17 2012, 8:26pm

Post #1 of 9 (745 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - " in his eyes there seemed to be a white light, Can't Post

as if a cold laughter was in his heart."

The subject line is from the book FOTR as Gandalf describes Saruman to the Council of Elrond.

To me his eyes are so mesmerizing, even in the screencap, they remind me of those trick paintings where the eyes seem to follow you around the room :).

1. What are your thoughts on how / if this aspect of Saruman was portrayed here?

"The forest of Fangorn lies on our doorstep. Burn it."

This scene is from the extended edition.

2. What is your opinion on cutting it from the theatrical version? Had it been included, would it have been better / worse / neutral?

"We will die ...for Saruman!"

Looks like Saruman is *really* enjoying this whole power thing, eh :)? Again I note how Sir Christopher captures that maniacal gleam in the eye here.

Also from the FOTR book, Gandalf describing Saruman:

"His knowledge is deep, but his pride has grown with it."

3. Any thoughts on the descriptions from the books in comparison to the visual images in these screencaps?

4. I didn't realized it at first, but after I chose this screencap, I noted that we seem to have a theme going here in the past few SCODs - the last three have all FOCUSED (ha ha, yes, pun intended!!) on eyes and expressions. So in keeping with that, what do you find in Saruman's eyes and expressions in these scenes?

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 4:12am

Post #2 of 9 (185 views)
Shortcut
Presence. [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel very taken aback by the first cap. There's something very pronounced about Saruman's stature and enormity (likely from the framing). And that little twinkle just seals the deal. You can almost see most of the same characteristics in Lee's performance in the second cap, but it's the contrast between light and dark that outlines the grand posture in the first, and the conniving hunch in the second.

Excellent choices, Loresilme, I'm kinda glad that my "claustraphobic" choices aren't too isolated. Tongue

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 4:19am

Post #3 of 9 (177 views)
Shortcut
Hm, they look like [In reply to] Can't Post

Two close-ups of Christopher Lee doing that expression he always does. Wink

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 18 2012, 12:35pm

Post #4 of 9 (137 views)
Shortcut
just want to say [In reply to] Can't Post

I am loving this screen cap lark, its great fun. But what does scod mean? Blush

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 18 2012, 12:38pm

Post #5 of 9 (128 views)
Shortcut
sir christopher [In reply to] Can't Post

does the very best cold intense staring in the buisness. He has a stillness that it truly scary. Have you seen him in The Wickerman'? chilling. Shocked

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 1:30pm

Post #6 of 9 (126 views)
Shortcut
That would be [In reply to] Can't Post

"Screencap of the Day". Where we go through the trilogy week by week, using the screencaps from Reera the Red's screencap library .

Glad you're enjoying them - they are fun, aren't they :-)!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 18 2012, 2:04pm

Post #7 of 9 (116 views)
Shortcut
yes its a great idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am only sorry I have missed so many.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Sep 18 2012, 3:34pm

Post #8 of 9 (135 views)
Shortcut
The White Wizard [In reply to] Can't Post

1. "The forest of Fangorn lies on our doorstep. Burn it." What are your thoughts on how / if this aspect of Saruman was portrayed here?: I found the line so evil; and to think that he killed Treebeard's friends. "A Wizard should know better."
2. What is your opinion on cutting it from the theatrical version? Had it been included, would it have been better / worse / neutral?: Neutral, in my opinion, because this scene was not entirely needed.
3. "His knowledge is deep, but his pride has grown with it." Any thoughts on the descriptions from the books in comparison to the visual images in these screencaps?: When I saw the film, Saruman was exactly as I imagined.
4. What do you find in Saruman's eyes and expressions in these scenes?: His eyes are terrifying and his features tell you that he is undoubtedly malicious.

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
..You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
........................................................................And those words were so easy to say."

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2012, 6:57am

Post #9 of 9 (372 views)
Shortcut
It's almost a "before and after" comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

In the first, Saruman looks maybe a bit proud and haughty, but basically reasonable. He's contemplating what could be. In the second, he sees that what could be is coming to pass, and he looks almost unhinged with arrogance and power. If you met the first Saruman, you might be intimidated, but also impressed with the intelligence in the eyes. If you were to accidentally cross paths with second Saruman, you'd back away carefully, then turn tail and run.Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.