Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Book or Movie Firster? Lurkers encouraged to vote!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Book or Movie Firster? Lurkers encouraged to vote!
Book Firster
Movie Firster
Movie Only
Book Only
Other (please explain)
View Results (74 votes)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 5:33pm

Post #1 of 32 (893 views)
Shortcut
Book or Movie Firster? Lurkers encouraged to vote! Can't Post

In December 2007 our Patty posted a poll that is (almost) identical to this one. I thought that a poll just ahead of TH:AUJ release would help establish a more current baseline should anyone post a similar poll after the movie's release.

For the purposes of this poll, "Book" could refer to The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings and "Movie" could refer to LOTR or that you are planning to see TH:AUJ before reading The Hobbit (if ever).

Essentially, was it the books or the movies that lead you to TORn?

Lurkers are encouraged to vote but you are under no obligation to respond with a post.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 17 2012, 5:34pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Sep 17 2012, 5:37pm

Post #2 of 32 (379 views)
Shortcut
Movie firster, simply because [In reply to] Can't Post

I joined TORN so that I could get involved with the film speculation. However, I still prefer the books to the movies any day of the week.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 17 2012, 5:39pm

Post #3 of 32 (382 views)
Shortcut
Books for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I only did so because I knew of Fellowship's imminent release. I actually wanted to read LOTR, but fortunately the school library didn't have FOTR at the time, so the librarian encouraged me to read The Hobbit instead. I'm very glad she did Smile

I was in the fourth grade, and I finished the book in 10 days. I was very happy with that accomplishment Blush

ETA - oh look, I've made it to Rohan! Cool

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Sep 17 2012, 5:40pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 5:54pm

Post #4 of 32 (357 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a book firster but it was the movies who led me to TORn. If I wanted to talk books, 'TORn' wouldn't have popped into my head as the place to do it (and in fact, I was talking books at other forums).

I know we do talk books here.. but that's not what I came here to talk about.

So, you are kind of asking two different things.

Book or Movie Firster? --- Books

was it the books or the movies that lead you to TORn? --- Movies

edit to add: R-A's response led me to read your initial question a different way.

Do you want to know which we experienced first? Did we read the books before we watched the movies or did we watch the movies before we read the books?

Or do you want to know which we hold 'first' (or highest) in our affection and/or attention?

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 17 2012, 5:56pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 5:58pm

Post #5 of 32 (369 views)
Shortcut
PS No value is assigned or implied to either title [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot to mention that in the lead post. I hope people feel comfortable voting regardless of what brought them here.

PPS I thought "Other" might include people who haven't read the books or seen LOTR but who are interested in the development of (or are planning to see) PJ's adaptation of "The Hobbit."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 5:59pm

Post #6 of 32 (353 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 6:02pm

Post #7 of 32 (384 views)
Shortcut
Ack cross-posted with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my PS reply to RA covers it.

It is kind of confusing though, as you say... I'm kind of interested in whether people read the books first or saw (or plan to see) the movies first, but essentially I'm asking (as did Patty's original poll I think) "what lead you to TORn?"

ETA: Again, no value is implied over one state of familiarity or the other, though people might see themselves as book firsters, as a declaration of preference, even though they saw LOTR before reading The Hobbit for instance. Admittedly, like most polls here, this one is far from scientific Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 17 2012, 6:07pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 17 2012, 6:17pm

Post #8 of 32 (384 views)
Shortcut
cartoons, then books, then PJ's movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I am interested in the topics discussed here (that is what brought me here).

Sam20
Lorien

Sep 17 2012, 6:35pm

Post #9 of 32 (391 views)
Shortcut
Book or Movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted other for I didn't know exactly what to choose so and I'll explain why:

I saw Peter Jackson's adaptations long before reading the books. But when I finally decided to read the books, I look on the web to see if there was communauties of Fans to discuss this common passion. I found TORn and an other one and so since then I come discussing from time to time a to get news and informations.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Sep 17 2012, 6:37pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 17 2012, 6:51pm

Post #10 of 32 (365 views)
Shortcut
I was confused by your post. [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted 'book firster' but it was the movies that prompted me to seek out TORN, so I'm not sure that the poll are going to reveal what you intended it to.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 7:11pm

Post #11 of 32 (389 views)
Shortcut
Yes well [In reply to] Can't Post

whatever it meant when Patty ran the same poll in 2007, that's what it means now Laugh

It's a little more complicated now since there are people here who have not seen the previous movies, nor the ones that are coming, nor have they read the books. There may even be some that are just here for the polls.

Can we scrap this one and start over? One that simply asks "Do you consider yourself to be a book firster or a movie firster?" and leaves the respondents to decipher for themselves what they mean?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 7:42pm

Post #12 of 32 (338 views)
Shortcut
Book firster [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm glad I did read them before the films - not because it makes anyone less of a fan, but simply so I could create the world in my head first, before seeing the adaptations. That's important to me. So much so, that when I still read the books, I'm able to (semi) block out PJ's adaptations, and return to the way I see and imagine things.

imin
Valinor

Sep 17 2012, 7:46pm

Post #13 of 32 (344 views)
Shortcut
Book firster [In reply to] Can't Post

Though like others here i came to TORn after the fellowship of the ring was released and for some info on TTT and ROTK, i went to other forums for book related discussions, questions.

So i voted book firster but maybe that should have been movie?

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2012, 9:23pm

Post #14 of 32 (318 views)
Shortcut
'twas that other movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

actually--Ringers.

Misto
Lorien

Sep 17 2012, 9:33pm

Post #15 of 32 (362 views)
Shortcut
Movie firster [In reply to] Can't Post

It was movies first for LOTR, then Hobbit book, then LOTR book (which, by the way, led me here) and for obvious reasons the Hobbit movies will come last.
However, one could say, that the book (LOTR, that is) was what really drew me into Tolkien's world. The movies are still nice to watch but in my opinion not at par with the book.

(This post was edited by Misto on Sep 17 2012, 9:36pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 18 2012, 2:20am

Post #16 of 32 (318 views)
Shortcut
Book firster by 30 years. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought they would *never* get around to making a live-action LotR. When I told my sister it was in the works, she sighed and said, "Well, I'd better start living right, so I can survive to see them all." I had something of the same feeling :-D

That said, it was the movies that led me to TORn, as I started looking around for info on the upcoming movies.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 18 2012, 2:22am

Post #17 of 32 (294 views)
Shortcut
Or do you mean it's a good morning whether I wish it or not? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 6:25pm

Post #18 of 32 (320 views)
Shortcut
A proud, proud movie firster [In reply to] Can't Post

*firmly looks people into eyes*

I'm glad I saw FotR and TTT before I read the book. The Tolkien books are my favourite books ever, but the movies are such an integral, deep part of my teenage and my growing up experience nothing gladly took anything of them from me. They're my first love, cherished beyond all criticism and objectiveness.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 6:35pm

Post #19 of 32 (326 views)
Shortcut
That came out wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

I am perfectly able of being critcal of the PJ movies, but that doesn't change my passionate love for them. I'm also critical of my parents, but that doesn't mean you'd be allowed to even look at them in a way I don't like. Grrr.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 6:59pm

Post #20 of 32 (360 views)
Shortcut
Book-firster. [In reply to] Can't Post

As the old story goes, in short: RotK was coming to theaters, all the hype was dying (which was odd) and so I got The Hobbit for Christmas that year, and didn't see the trilogy until after I'd read them (and I've only ever seen FotR in its theatrical state, mind you).

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Sep 18 2012, 6:59pm)

DesiringDragons
Lorien

Sep 19 2012, 7:15pm

Post #21 of 32 (294 views)
Shortcut
Book firster for both TH and LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

by a long time. :)

I've been a Tolkien fan since I was 7 (which was before the films came out) - but it was excitement over the upcoming film of The Hobbit that led me to TORn at last, this summer.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 19 2012, 10:29pm

Post #22 of 32 (285 views)
Shortcut
Ooops me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

alienorchid
Lorien

Sep 20 2012, 10:02am

Post #23 of 32 (275 views)
Shortcut
Hmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read TH as a child, and after a few attempts at LotR, my brain finally developed enough to get the whole way through it. Then the movies came out, and I wanted to see what other Tolkien fans thought of it, so I discovered this place and just read the forums for quite a few years before finally joining :) and I'm so glad I did, even if I can't post as much as I'd like to due to other commitments.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 20 2012, 12:26pm

Post #24 of 32 (288 views)
Shortcut
Mostly book firsters again, I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

What I will be interested to see is the number of TORn message board members we get as an increase after The Hobbit movies.

Aeglos

Sep 24 2012, 9:41am

Post #25 of 32 (350 views)
Shortcut
Movie first. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was too young to be able to read the books when the movies first came out, so I saw them first. RotK came out when I was 6, and I didn't read the books until I was 8.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.