Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New pics from The Hobbit (possible spoilers)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Milknut
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 6:36am

Post #101 of 299 (3282 views)
Shortcut
Gollum looks kinda fake. [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost like a video game model, his face just looks really airbrushed or something. Hopefully it will be better in motion.

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Milknut
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 6:36am

Post #102 of 299 (3229 views)
Shortcut
Seconded.// [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

FiliSonOfDis
Rivendell

Sep 17 2012, 6:38am

Post #103 of 299 (3257 views)
Shortcut
That can be a dark and dangerous road [In reply to] Can't Post

updating CGI in movies I mean. We don't want a "star wars" here, it's hard to draw the line at what is "updating" and what is adding too much.

also if a film is updated every 10 years or so to "fit" with the new look of film you eventually lose what made the original so great, you get something entirely different.

luckily i think LOTR had visual that can stand the test of time, they might not be as good as what we have now but they certainly still look good. and when everything looks good/real enough why make it look "better"? you risk losing the film itself.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 6:43am

Post #104 of 299 (3279 views)
Shortcut
I would rather Gollum looked more real (or updated) in a film with newer and more advanced technology [In reply to] Can't Post

Than a Gollum that is the same, from 10 years ago. One only notices differences when side-by-side. He'd look too "fake" with all this new technology and CGI used on The Hobbit.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 6:48am

Post #105 of 299 (3272 views)
Shortcut
I would've liked Ian McShane as Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a great actor. Plus it would have given the trilogy 3 Ian's (Holm, Mckellan, and McShane). But based on what I've seen thusfar, Armitage may be just as good a choice.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 6:48am

Post #106 of 299 (3216 views)
Shortcut
This is, of course, the problem [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
updating CGI in movies I mean. We don't want a "star wars" here, it's hard to draw the line at what is "updating" and what is adding too much.

also if a film is updated every 10 years or so to "fit" with the new look of film you eventually lose what made the original so great, you get something entirely different.

luckily i think LOTR had visual that can stand the test of time, they might not be as good as what we have now but they certainly still look good. and when everything looks good/real enough why make it look "better"? you risk losing the film itself.

I completely hold your same fears as well. And while I really don't care if they went back and made those changes, I kind of just have a "wishful thinking" that they will.

I definitely think that the CGI, for the most part, was great in the trilogy and that it still looks good today. But in the end, CGI isn't what the films are about so it's not necessary to have to update them because the rest of the story is still there.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Sep 17 2012, 6:49am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2012, 6:50am

Post #107 of 299 (3262 views)
Shortcut
He looks INCREDIBLE [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I can't agree with those who say he doesn't look as real. This picture really shows the leaps and bounds that have been made since Gollum's last appearance in 2003. As great as he looks in the trilogy, the effects work here is a whole new kind of stunning.

Can't wait to see more of him. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Sep 17 2012, 6:50am)

FiliSonOfDis
Rivendell

Sep 17 2012, 6:57am

Post #108 of 299 (3221 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

In this movie, the hobbit i mean, i think gollum and any other cgi should be updated to todays standards, i ment going back and updating LOTR to fit the hobbit is a dangerous road.

I'm just as guilty of wanting to see something like that done cause it might look awesome, but i KNOW it can lead to very bad movie destroying things; I cant watch the return of the jedi scene at jabbas palace anymore they added cgi monsters singing and dancing around it looks horrible and ruined the atmosphere of that entire scene. I'd just be too afraid that updating LOTR's could do similar damage to films i love.

maybe the first time they "update" they'd just make the cgi a bit smoother but once you open that door and allow the movies to be altered who's to say they cant add more down the road? it's just something i don't think should be done.

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 7:01am

Post #109 of 299 (3203 views)
Shortcut
I'm in complete agreement here. [In reply to] Can't Post

But they still need to add one thing to the LOTR trilogy...

A scene where Gandalf climbs the FREAKING flight of stairs so it makes sense that he ends up on top of a FREAKING mountain after falling into a FREAKING underground lake.

Excuse my American slang.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 7:26am

Post #110 of 299 (3191 views)
Shortcut
Those are my fears. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In this movie, the hobbit i mean, i think gollum and any other cgi should be updated to todays standards, i ment going back and updating LOTR to fit the hobbit is a dangerous road.

I'm just as guilty of wanting to see something like that done cause it might look awesome, but i KNOW it can lead to very bad movie destroying things; I cant watch the return of the jedi scene at jabbas palace anymore they added cgi monsters singing and dancing around it looks horrible and ruined the atmosphere of that entire scene. I'd just be too afraid that updating LOTR's could do similar damage to films i love.

maybe the first time they "update" they'd just make the cgi a bit smoother but once you open that door and allow the movies to be altered who's to say they cant add more down the road? it's just something i don't think should be done.

Although, there's 2 major problems that PJ could avoid that Lucas did.

1) That CGI was horrible in the jabba scene - I would have the utmost faith that Weta would make their updates look better.

2) Whatever changes you might make... LEAVE THE THEATRICAL VERSIONS ALONE. If PJ were to make little small changes like updating CGI and/or insterting Freeman in place of Holm in the prologue of FOTR, then he needs to do it ONLY to the EE. The biggest problem fans have with Lucas is that his "new" versions are now the definitive versions and there is no updated version of the theatricals that we can watch on blu ray. If lucas had made these director's cuts but also released blu rays of the theatricals people would be fine. But he didn't.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 7:40am

Post #111 of 299 (3147 views)
Shortcut
Not true [In reply to] Can't Post

I would bet that hardly anyone could see the difference between the two.

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Sep 17 2012, 7:52am

Post #112 of 299 (3174 views)
Shortcut
It's a "Shrinky Dink" Gollum. [In reply to] Can't Post

In his 50-70ft projected size, I guarantee he will look amazing. Once they condense down 4 or 2K CGI stuff into a small 615 x 265 pic it's just not the same. I wouldn't worry about it. He looks good to me at any rate. Nice start to the week.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2012, 7:55am

Post #113 of 299 (3158 views)
Shortcut
Great :D. Raddy is wonderful, as someone I know noticed, he looks a bit like the shaggy man from the Oz books: [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL.

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day during this week of Tolkien week!

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 17 2012, 7:55am

Post #114 of 299 (3155 views)
Shortcut
Radagast still looks like a stereotypical Russian... [In reply to] Can't Post

...even more than Bofur does.

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

henneth-annun.ru

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2012, 7:58am

Post #115 of 299 (3116 views)
Shortcut
maybe someone on the art team liked that kind of style.. dunno.. It's only really the hat that's Russian stereotype though right? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day during this week of Tolkien week!

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 17 2012, 8:32am

Post #116 of 299 (3145 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of Radagast? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the overall look, but the slovenliness? A bit of the absent-minded magician, I could deal with, or a little rough around the edges, but this guy is a slob. Unimpressed

Maybe he won't look so sloppy and unkempt in action.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 17 2012, 8:36am

Post #117 of 299 (3106 views)
Shortcut
I hope they leave LOTR alone. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is what it is.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 8:42am

Post #118 of 299 (3161 views)
Shortcut
Not good [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf looks older than in the previous photos, Gollum is like a plastic alien toy and looks very weird, Radagast looks more like a hobo instead of a wizard.

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 8:50am

Post #119 of 299 (3136 views)
Shortcut
he lets birds nest under his hat... [In reply to] Can't Post

so of course they're gonna dance all over him... and why would care? he thinks he's one of them.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 17 2012, 5:51pm)

lurtz2010
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 8:55am

Post #120 of 299 (3133 views)
Shortcut
What? Gollum looks good [In reply to] Can't Post

technology can't do better than that. As for Gandaf looking older... that's just dumb.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 8:59am

Post #121 of 299 (3107 views)
Shortcut
Hey now [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
technology can't do better than that. As for Gandaf looking older... that's just dumb.

I don't mean to be stepping into Moderator territory but let's not get into these sorts of claims here.

Morok Cloudkeeper is just expressing his or her opinion. We don't need to call their opinion dumb.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 9:02am

Post #122 of 299 (3112 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure you're not the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not the overall look, but the slovenliness? A bit of the absent-minded magician, I could deal with, or a little rough around the edges, but this guy is a slob. Unimpressed

Maybe he won't look so sloppy and unkempt in action.

Don't feel bad if you are though. It's your opinion and you are entitled to feel that way.

I think it would be really cool though if Radagast comes off as sort of a ditzsy slob but then we realize throughout the story that he is extremely clever and smart.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Sep 17 2012, 9:02am

Post #123 of 299 (3099 views)
Shortcut
What I mean is [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum looked amazing in the previous photos, but now he has weird eyes and this weird bulge on his eyebrows, like they have swollen. And Gandalf does look a bit older than in the Bag End shot.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 9:08am

Post #124 of 299 (3043 views)
Shortcut
Agreed / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 9:09am

Post #125 of 299 (3058 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, I see! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I agree then. Going back and using this updated technology to update Gollum in the LOTR trilogy would be a mistake. He would look too real, in an otherwise dated film.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.