Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New pics from The Hobbit (possible spoilers)
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 2:50pm

Post #276 of 299 (3101 views)
Shortcut
So prosthetics can look real, thank you. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 3:21pm

Post #277 of 299 (3094 views)
Shortcut
I knew you were looking to make that point [In reply to] Can't Post

The only problem is, noone was making the opposite point. Smile

Yes, prosthetics can look real if they are smartly and subtly applied. Not 100% real, but very close.

But they can also look incredibly fake, if they are applied with abandon. IMO, this could potentially be disastrous for the films. If audiences, and critics, are jarred by the appearance of the dwarves from the start, they may not react favorably to watching them over the course of three films, and nine-plus hours.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 3:28pm

Post #278 of 299 (3089 views)
Shortcut
Skin is skin... [In reply to] Can't Post

no matter where it's applied and how much. I stand by it, it's the design that puts some people off, not the fact the skin is fake. Now, abundant prosthetics can hinder someone's expressiveness or not move quite right but one can hardly judge that by pictures, we need to see more of them in motion.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 3:54pm

Post #279 of 299 (3079 views)
Shortcut
No problem here. I like Radagast's look.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 3:58pm

Post #280 of 299 (3078 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't aiming the reply to anyone particular, thats why I responded to the OP: you. Smile

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 4:32pm

Post #281 of 299 (3048 views)
Shortcut
Right. But Radagast is neither a pig nor a rhino. \\ [In reply to] Can't Post

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 4:33pm

Post #282 of 299 (3072 views)
Shortcut
Birds poo quite frequently i'd imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you wash it out every damn time? Wink

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 4:38pm

Post #283 of 299 (3054 views)
Shortcut
I was not comparing Radagast to a rhino. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just responded to the "animals clean themselves" notion. That said, Radagast lives with these birds and probably has for decades, perhaps even centuries. He probably stopped caring about mundane things such as bird droppings ages ago.

droidsocket
Lorien

Sep 18 2012, 4:39pm

Post #284 of 299 (3059 views)
Shortcut
You make it sound... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like every inch of their face is covered. Take Bilfur. I reolize you hate the hood ornament but his aplience is a nose and forehead. His cheeks and mouth are all natural.

I guess the way I feel is the actors with the most prostetics look most dwarvish to me. What jerks me out of the fantasy is the actor with the least. Namely Kili.

You line them all up (including Gimli) and I feel they can all belong to the same race. Even Fili. But Kili sticks out like a sore thumb.

(This post was edited by droidsocket on Sep 18 2012, 4:43pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 4:39pm

Post #285 of 299 (3057 views)
Shortcut
Is there a problem with me having a problem with it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion, "hermit" doesn't equal "filthy bum."

Animal standards of cleanliness are different than human standards. But Radagast is not an animal. And having him go around with bird poo in his hair makes him look not just absent-minded, it makes him look mentally insane.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 4:42pm

Post #286 of 299 (3083 views)
Shortcut
I am not sure why you are getting upset... [In reply to] Can't Post

No, there is not a problem with you having a problem. What I asked is why is it a problem for you. I did however not say something like "O-M-G - you are so stupid for having a problem with this!" Crazy

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 4:44pm

Post #287 of 299 (3057 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I would. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bird poo carries disease.

Birds are actually very clean animals. They bathe regularly, and they don't generally soil their own nests.

Why should Radagast have a lower standard of hygiene than his own bird friends?

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Sep 18 2012, 4:46pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 4:50pm

Post #288 of 299 (3049 views)
Shortcut
Can Istaris get hantavirus? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry i'm just fooling around. Wink

droidsocket
Lorien

Sep 18 2012, 4:50pm

Post #289 of 299 (3035 views)
Shortcut
I read somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

That bird poo in middle earth is like hair conditioner not at all diseasey!Angelic

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 4:51pm

Post #290 of 299 (3043 views)
Shortcut
Disease is no trouble for a Wizard! // [In reply to] Can't Post

RosieLass
Valinor

Post #291 of 299 (3041 views)
Shortcut
The point is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that rhinos and pigs roll in mud to clean themselves and keep their skin protected.

It's not just because it's fun or because they like dirt.

I'm just saying that because animals have different habits is no reason to have Radagast completely neglect his personal hygiene. That's all.

Calmandcloudless
Lorien

Post #292 of 299 (3037 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it's more of a field zoologist thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...some of my old university lecturers were filthy :P

And hey, there are much worse things to be covered in than bird poo, hygeine-wise. Uric acid isn't too toxic, but also doesn't tend to attract too much in the way of harmful microbes. Frankly, if I was going to get covered in poo, I'd prefer bird poo any day.

I still think they could have toned it down a little, though.

(This post was edited by Calmandcloudless on Sep 18 2012, 4:52pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 4:52pm

Post #293 of 299 (3037 views)
Shortcut
I took that part out anyway. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hantavirus is more from rodents than birds, I think.

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 4:53pm

Post #294 of 299 (3045 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, I'm really not upset. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just stating my position. Repeatedly. Tongue

Cool

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 4:53pm

Post #295 of 299 (3028 views)
Shortcut
Hehe, funny. :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Frankly, if I was going to get covered in poo, I'd prefer bird poo any day.

Calmandcloudless
Lorien

Sep 18 2012, 5:03pm

Post #296 of 299 (3009 views)
Shortcut
It's the new slogan [In reply to] Can't Post

of the Bird Poo Marketing Board ;)

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 18 2012, 5:08pm

Post #297 of 299 (3012 views)
Shortcut
Alright [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got the feeling that you were upset when I read your post, glad this isn't the case. Smile

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 18 2012, 5:10pm

Post #298 of 299 (2995 views)
Shortcut
yes I agree with you Captain Salt [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin, Kili and Fili look pretty subtle and probably have little or no prosthetics, Bofur as well looks like none and in comparison Bombur and a couple of the others look like actors from a different film almost. I will have to wait and see how they move their faces, to see if its if its stiff and rigid. Whats the point anyway? actors with too much plastic on their faces cant emote as well as natural faces.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2012, 11:55pm

Post #299 of 299 (2962 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you Rosie [In reply to] Can't Post

I just find it disgusting, Wink more senseless toilet humor that's honestly not funny and not really needed.Tongue I don't think its a detail that was needed just something PJ thought was funny, which quite frankly I grew out of poop humor when I was like 15 Smile

I think they went solely with using Saruman's description of Radagast as "Radagast the fool" instead of making him echo Gandalf's thoughts of him as well

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Sep 18 2012, 11:58pm)

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.