Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
World Hobbit Day Party Lineup & Update!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 4:08pm

Post #1 of 29 (648 views)
Shortcut
World Hobbit Day Party Lineup & Update! Can't Post

We're a week away from Saturday, September 22nd and Bilbo and Frodo's birthday party!! The festivities this year have grown into World Hobbit Day as we also celebrate Tolkien Week AND the 75th anniversary of The Hobbit publication [Which is actually the September 21st (1937;) but we can give them some leeway] How cool is it that the party is happening over the weekend!?!?

Below is a list of party activities fellow TORnsibs have volunteered to share. The games/activities/fanfic will be spread across 3 Discussion Boards: Main, Off Topic, and The Lord of the Rings Movie. Sadly, the Hobbit Discussion Board will not be one of the party-stops. That place is just way too busy! :) But I will definitely post a heads-up in there!

So none of the Boards get overwhelmed with posts that can force activities off the page too fast, I've taken the liberty to offer suggestions of where each activity can be found. Contributors, please feel free to post anytime during the day or night. *whispers* The earlier, the better ;)

After all of the activities are posted, I'll collect all the links and put them into one place to share with all of the Boards so everyone can play along. We encourage anyone who is inspired to contribute a game/activity to the party to feel free to do so, but please post them on the LotR Discussion Board to avoid overloading Main/Off Topic :)

Let me know if I've forgotten anyone or if you would like to add to the party :)

THANKS ALL!

MAIN DISCUSSION BOARD

"Hobbit eds Footers/Avatars" by Magpie Our creative comrade has already given us this incredible list of options. You've already seen them pop up everywhere! Go right here to collect your own footer and celebrate the day :)

"Guess the Phrase" game by DanielLB

"Mad Lib" by dernwyn

"Pun Parameters" by Ethel Duath

"GTKYT" by TomthePilgrim (Get To Know Your TORnsib)

THE LORD OF THE RINGS DISCUSSION BOARD

"Eye Spy game" by Delrond

"Drabble / Haiku Challenge" by grammaboodawg

"Panted Hobbit Lines" by grammaboodawg

OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION BOARD

"Bilbo's Brainteasers" by dernwyn

"Trivia game" by DanielLB

"Six Subject Line Challenge" by weaver AND SirDennisC (a two-fer :)

"Musical duet" by Quacking Troll & Ruxendil_Thoorg

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 15 2012, 4:12pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 4:12pm

Post #2 of 29 (293 views)
Shortcut
D'oh [In reply to] Can't Post

please post them on the LotR Discussion Board to avoid overloading Main/Off Topic

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 4:17pm

Post #3 of 29 (286 views)
Shortcut
No Worries! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The official party is next Saturday, and I think it's great to have the lines ahead of time to have more of a chance to work on them. So putting onto another Board totally works! :D Have at it! *high five*

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 4:37pm

Post #4 of 29 (286 views)
Shortcut
Thanks gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm willing to bet Weaver is planning another one for the actual party.

Heart

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 5:27pm

Post #5 of 29 (286 views)
Shortcut
Is it ok to spread over the 21st and 22nd? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping to spread my trivia game over two days, simply because of the number of questions. I wanted to do 10 each day so that people weren't overwhelmed in one sitting. Is this ok?

Thanks for organising gramma. Looks great. Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 9:23pm

Post #6 of 29 (249 views)
Shortcut
Sure :D Go for it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 9:24pm

Post #7 of 29 (276 views)
Shortcut
*nods enthusiastically* I bet you're right :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Unused Scenes

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 9:36pm

Post #8 of 29 (254 views)
Shortcut
Thanks gramma :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll stick to 1 thread over 2 days. Cool

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 16 2012, 1:49am

Post #9 of 29 (279 views)
Shortcut
I would be glad to have a co-line-picker! [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually just wait for the day and then pick lines off the board right then, so have nothing done ahead of time. But that does not mean we could not find some real doozies ahead of time and have one all ready to go that will be especially fun.

If you want to conspire with me to pick the "best-ests" ones, on party day or leading up to it, I would love that!

Will PM you!

Weaver

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2012, 6:57am

Post #10 of 29 (244 views)
Shortcut
Looks like great fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

You all are awesome!
In Hobbit fashion I say, "Thank you, I shall certainly come." Or some polite variation. Smile

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 16 2012, 10:17am

Post #11 of 29 (238 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea of starting [In reply to] Can't Post

some activities on 9/21. I'm not able to spend much time on here on the weekend but would love to visit Friday if work's not too busy.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2012, 1:53pm

Post #12 of 29 (236 views)
Shortcut
This looks promising! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really wish I'd been up-to-date, and I might've gotten involved, but I think I'll sit out (got a lot of studies, anyway). I'll be sure to drop in at some point for these, though! Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 16 2012, 3:03pm

Post #13 of 29 (230 views)
Shortcut
You might me in luck sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

If I post it early enough, it might even be 20th and 21st for people in the US. Smile

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 16 2012, 4:00pm

Post #14 of 29 (259 views)
Shortcut
My thought was to throw the GTKYT out Friday, also . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . as I live in the western US, if I open it up Friday morning local time, most of the world is in Friday afternoon-evening (or even into Saturday) by that point.

Sound good?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2012, 5:20pm

Post #15 of 29 (276 views)
Shortcut
Wowza thanks Gramma, I can't wait!! Also ecstatic to see that QT-Rux's piece has come to fruition! Can't wait to see it :D// [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 16 2012, 7:38pm

Post #16 of 29 (254 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* There's a claymore on that Hobbit cover! *saves link location* =) // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2012, 8:00pm

Post #17 of 29 (218 views)
Shortcut
Sounds GREAT!! :D Thanks Pilgrim :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Unused Scenes

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 4:34pm

Post #18 of 29 (255 views)
Shortcut
World Hobbit Day - Avatars for you to use [In reply to] Can't Post

For those who wish, I've prepared 75 avatars for World Hobbit Day. My intention was to showcase Hobbit book illustrations but I think a few that haven't been published in a book edition sneaked into the bunch.

To see the avatars (yes, you can preview these!) go here:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/whd/avatars.htm

Avatars must be uploaded onto TORn from your own computer. So you must download the image you want onto your computer and then upload it from there onto TORn's servers. Directions for setting an image as your avatar can be found by following the link for Torn Image Posting Guide in my footer and there's a direct link to the pertinent help page on the Avatar page (at the bottom). If you need more help, ask for it on Feedback. It's not hard.

The names of the images indicate the illustrator. You will see *my* name for the image when you download it onto your computer. Or you can right click on an image displayed on my webpage and either view the properties (if you know how) or open it in a new tab where you will see the name in the url address field.

But once you upload it onto TORn, the image is renamed with random numbers. So you will not be able to find the artist's name of an image used as an avatar. If you want to know who did someone's avatar, you'll have to find that same image on my webpage and investigate.

You can use these images as soon and as long as you want. I will not guarantee that this page will be in place forever. If you want those images for some future use, download them now. :-)

enjoy.
m

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 17 2012, 4:34pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 4:37pm

Post #19 of 29 (223 views)
Shortcut
**REMEMBER to put "WORLD HOBBIT DAY PARTY" in your subject line!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

For those who are making contributions to the games/party items, please start your subject line with "WORLD HOBBIT DAY PARTY". That way it will be easier to pick out your post and unify all the action :)

If you're just replying to the Party post, you don't have to add it to your subject line.... just in case I've confused anyone... as I am always SO GOOD at doing ;)

THANKS!!!

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 4:41pm

Post #20 of 29 (248 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous, Magpie!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Or should I say, "FABULOUS MAGPIE!" You've really done so much work on all of these footers and avatars. MASSIVE THANK YOU! What a great way to dress up our posts for the party :D

*warm hug*

Unused Scenes

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 17 2012, 4:49pm

Post #21 of 29 (262 views)
Shortcut
At last! The avatars I have been waiting for all of my TORn life! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if the Mayan Calendar predicted this, but I will try to make one of these avatars work for me, just for YOU! Smile

(But not now! I need a little more time to practice my A Babo victory yell first.... )

Weaver

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 7:46pm

Post #22 of 29 (195 views)
Shortcut
Decisions, decisions! [In reply to] Can't Post

These are great Magpie. Thanks so much. Smile

Now I just need to bring myself around to changing my avatar Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 7:52pm

Post #23 of 29 (206 views)
Shortcut
Must remember! [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone may need to edit my post ... Wink

Are caps a requirement? Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 17 2012, 8:47pm

Post #24 of 29 (207 views)
Shortcut
I think those of us who use an avatar... [In reply to] Can't Post

get quite attached to them. :-)

I may change my avatar out every 5-10 days, but they are always - with one exception - magpies.

The one exception was when I posted a black and white rabbit for Easter. But that was truly the only time my avatar has not a magpie since the new boards opened.

I have various Tolkien-ish magpie avatars I have used. I am still considering if I want to switch to Roac for a day or two or use one of my Tolkien-ish magpies. Or maybe I just need a new one.

But I won't be too surprised if almost no one uses these. Those that have avatars might not want to switch and those that don't probably have a reason why they don't.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 18 2012, 12:52am

Post #25 of 29 (193 views)
Shortcut
Nope :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Just having that header makes it easier to find... plus we're hoping some visitors lead her from the homepage will stop by!!! :D

Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.