Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Your last meal
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Your last meal
Home-made -- made it and ate it at home.
Home-made -- someone else made it and I ate it at home.
Ordered in -- I paid someone else to make it but ate it at home.
Dined out -- I paid someone else to make it and I ate it there.
Ordered out -- I paid someone to make it and ate it not at home.
Bag lunch -- made at home, ate it away from home.
I'm fasting by choice.
I'm fasting not by choice.
I had fast food and don't want to talk about it.
Other.
View Results (40 votes)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 1:30am

Post #1 of 56 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Your last meal Can't Post

or should I say, your latest meal... did you eat in or out? Was it home-made (cooked or raw, doesn't matter) or delivered?

Bonus: what was it that you ate?

NB: for the purposes of this poll, if it was a prepared meal (for instance a frozen dinner) that was cooked at home, it counts as home-made.

Super duper bonus points awarded if you share a recipe!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 15 2012, 1:32am)

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 15 2012, 1:44am

Post #2 of 56 (495 views)
Shortcut
other: leftovers [In reply to] Can't Post

I made the dip myself and bought the generic chips some days ago now

If snacks don't count then it's much the same! Just different leftovers (that I made myself) and this time yogurt instead of generic chips.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2012, 1:49am

Post #3 of 56 (468 views)
Shortcut
Quick Hoppin' John with Pan-fried corn bread [In reply to] Can't Post

I had some bacon already cooked, and a can of black-eyed peas, so what better thing to make than some hoppin' john! It's usually served over rice, but I didn't want to wait the 45 minutes for the brown basmati rice to cook, so I decided to try some pan corn bread instead.

Start the corn bread first: heat on medium-high a small frying pan with enough oil to lightly coat it. Combine 1 cup of corn meal, 2 Tbl sugar, a dash of salt, 1/4 c. oil, and 1/2 c. milk. Pour into the pan, cover it, and reduce heat to low.

Now chop up half a Vidalia onion, and a green pepper, and a red pepper - you should have 1/2 to 1 cup of each. In a large saucepan, saute these in oil or butter until the onion softens. Add the black-eyed peas, undrained, and bacon torn into small pieces. Add flavorings such as cumin, oregano, chili powder, etc. until it's the right spiciness for you. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.

Both the corn bread and hoppin' john should be done at the same time. Remove corn bread from pan. Put chunks of it in the bottom of a bowl, and spoon the hoppin' john over it.

Yummy! Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 1:54am

Post #4 of 56 (475 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Now when you say chips do you mean French fries? Or were they corn chips, potato chips (I guess some call them crisps) or some other kind of chip?

The reason I ask is for dinner I had some corn chips (Tostitos) and a generic spicy humus. Really hit the spot.

For supper (what I call late dinner) I had take-out (or order in) of Rouladen with potato dumplings and shredded red cabbage in wine vinegar. Rouladen is a German meat roll, basically sliced beef rolled around, among other things, a dill pickle wedge and covered with a simple mushroom gravy. It was the first time I tried the stuff and it was delicious, if not a little Hobbit-y.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 15 2012, 1:55am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 1:59am

Post #5 of 56 (489 views)
Shortcut
Super duper bonus points awarded! [In reply to] Can't Post

And a satisfied belly by the sounds of it.

We Canadians don't hold much on corn bread... but I love corn meal muffins. I'll have to try your recipe. Thank you dernwyn!

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 15 2012, 2:09am

Post #6 of 56 (519 views)
Shortcut
I'd say that's some pretty fancy sounding take-out! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was potato chips in my case - and beer/cheese dip. I did a variation on a recipe (or two) and have been eating off that now for some odd 5 or 6 meals.

I boiled brats (a kind of sausage) in beer, onions, and garlic (fresh chopped). But then I didn't want to waste that nice bear, onion, garlic mix mingled with some natural campfire-style grease ... so I swapped out the cream cheese for the onion/garlic/brat grease in the recipe (and added a little bit more beer and cheese than what was called for). It sure is tasty!
That's right - I also made bacon-wrapped asparagus that day.

Then those brats ... had them the first time around ... then fried them up breakfast-style with potatoes and some of the beer flavored onion/garlic that was over the amount that seemed right to add to the dip.

Then I had leftovers again another time of the brats and asparagus - and later the chips and dip for a snack. I might have to eat out tomorrow because there is a limit to how many times I can eat the same thing over-and-over again ... wait! I can make the leftover brats with mac-n-cheese ... but still how many times in a row can I eat this I wonder before it's just done? Angelic

I have to admit, it is still tasty ... even after the fifth time ... but kind of unhealthier than what I usually go for ... and I still have more left to eat.

The way it goes is that I tend to pick something and that is kind of what I eat for a week (and try to find creative ways to combine and re-combine). I like to cook, though - so I can't bring myself to resort to those nicely pre-packaged TV dinners we have here in the states - and I am too cheap to go out to eat more than a few times a week (besides - even if I did - it would still be leftover-city!)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 2:58am

Post #7 of 56 (473 views)
Shortcut
It was quite a bit different from what I usually eat [In reply to] Can't Post

though at the same time it seemed like a common dish.

Now your dip sounds like a real flavour explosion, with bacon wrapped asparagus to boot!

Since you seem adventurous, imma share one of my favourite original recipes with you:

Spicy Sausage and Pepper Penne

6 nice, hot Italian sausages
1 each, chopped green (sweet), yellow (hot, Hungarian or banana), and red (whatever as long as it's big) peppers
1/2 cup pickled hot pepper rings
1/2 cup pickled hot pepper brine
2 cups strained tomatoes (Molisana makes a nice one) or diced tomatoes (canned)
2 cups or one jar of your favourite tomato sauce (I like PC Basil and Tomato)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic powder
couple dashes black pepper
olive oil
1/4 cup water

900g package of penne rigate noodles.

Cooking Method:

Sausage and Pepper sauce:

-- Fry the sausages in oil and water preferably in a wok or a very large frying pan (the entire sauce is cooked in this pan);
-- once the sausage is browned all around, slice into 1cm (1/4inch) rounds and continue cooking. Add a little more water if needed;
-- when sausage looks nice and cooked, add pickled pepper rings and brine and simmer for about 10 minutes (to cook out vinegar);
-- add chopped peppers and spices... cook until vegies are slightly softened;
-- add sauce and strained tomatoes, stir and simmer for another 20 minutes or so.

Noodles:

Set water to boil in a large pot about the same time you add the tomato sauce to the sausage and pepper mixture. Add noodles to boiling water, cook to desired texture (I prefer el dente).

Serve with grated parmesan or shredded cheddar.

ps this is pretty spicy (hot) but oh so delicious.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 15 2012, 3:02am)

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 15 2012, 3:30am

Post #8 of 56 (457 views)
Shortcut
That looks pretty healthy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like being adventurous in cooking. I haven't done much with the pickled peppers - I have been known to get some fresh hot peppers and add them to things, though. I don't know if I've ever seen that brine ingredient. I'll keep an eye out for it, though because it sounds interesting!

Here are the recipes I based my last meal off of:

beer and cheese dip:
http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-cheese-dip-29703
variations to the recipe when I made it:
  • replaced cream cheese with extra shredded cheese
  • used yellow onion instead of green onion - the green onion would be good in the dip but I was picking one onion for the meal and the yellow worked with the brats and the dip and the beer a little better, I think
  • no ranch dip - used garlic instead (and more beer than the recipe called for ... although it is hard to say how much I precisely used since some of it boiled off from cooking the brats in it)
  • real beer instead of non-alcoholic beer (although what is left of the alcohol after boiling, I wonder)
  • as a note, I like chunky dips so I had pretty solid pieces of onion in the dip - but this is a matter of taste and I could have chopped them finer like the garlic
  • also note: it might be a little runny if using the run-off brat beer like I did but after refrigerating it firms up more (you can always add more cheese too)

beer brats:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beer-brats/
  • real fresh garlic instead of garlic powder (therefore no salt needed - imho)

bacon wrapped asparagus:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/bacon-wrapped-asparagus-bundles-recipe/index.html
  • This turned out ok when I did it this last time - but I was minimizing dishes used so I cooked the brats and asparagus at the same time and in the same dish.
  • It was better the other times I made it when I cooked it on a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time.
  • I found it works better if I snap the asparagus in half because if any of the little green parts are sticking out in the oven, they get overcooked in my opinion - so I try to make sure while wrapping that they are completely covered by yummy bacon

I don't have a grill here at school, so I baked the brats along with the bacon-wrapped asparagus.
This would all be better over an open campfire/on the grill - but I had to improvise.
I turned them over about 2 times after I put it all together in the oven in one baking pan. Maybe some bacon grease from the asparagus gave extra flavor to those brats because they turned out pretty good! Yes there are still flavor explosions in it after being leftover ... and over.

I see that the other recipes are fairly precise so far ... I am used to that campfire style cooking so I go by smell and sight which is a little bit hard to describe.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 3:55am

Post #9 of 56 (455 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

The brine is just the juice the peppers are pickled in. I use it (and the peppers) in another recipe I posted here back in July: Sauerkraut, Hot Pepper and Cheese Omelette

Going by sight and smell is a good way to cook. And of course measurements are only guidelines. Wink

Thanks for the links and modifications.

ps now I have to ask, do you do a lot of cooking on an open fire? That's positively a skill that would come in handy in Middle-earth (as I'm sure cooking with beer is too). And what are you studying at school?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 15 2012, 3:56am)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 15 2012, 4:00am

Post #10 of 56 (481 views)
Shortcut
Fried 'taters from my garden. : D [In reply to] Can't Post

Sliced with the skin on and sauteed rather slowly in olive oil. Yummy.Cool

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 15 2012, 4:10am

Post #11 of 56 (450 views)
Shortcut
Yep - it's the best way to cook, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent a lot of my summers at summer camps, cabins in the woods, or just camping somewhere.

• I have a big crazy series of exams coming up in about a week so I have my stack of formulas to memorize that I am going through each day.
  • I am doing my literature review for my statistics thesis.
  • I have a GRA position related to video clips and teaching math that I am keeping up with which involves video processing, coding, writing, and reading - all on a computer.
  • I am expected to code up all the papers I read as I read them - kind of a little behind on that - but working on it as I go through reading papers - planning to pick that back up after this crazy round of tests.
  • I have an invention from some research I did before getting a thesis topic that I'm trying to keep going (but I am supposed to stick to just one day a week according to my advisor and I am letting that simmer until I get through the exams).
  • I was studying chinese and had a role in graduate student government but I have dropped those for now.
  • I keep sane using some creative projects that I like to keep moving along bit by bit.

I download all my papers to read and do all my writing on the computer and all the coding on the computer ... and I have taken to using paint for concept art stuff since ... well ... it's there on that computer. So I sit on the computer a lot lately! But every few hours or so I take a break and since the computer is right here ... and TORN is up ... anyway even if I'm not actually reading TORN I have the music running while I'm working.

It's hard to go steady for too many hours in a row, but it is also a little hard to really commit to anything else right now.
Just because I sometimes lose the self-discipline battle and take more than a short break on TORN now and then, doesn't mean I shouldn't be doing something else instead Tongue

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 4:26am

Post #12 of 56 (464 views)
Shortcut
What's taters, precious? What's taters, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

You had to know that was coming...

Hey are those the potatoes you were asking about back in July? How was the harvest?

I just love the way new potatoes fry up so soft and delicious. Your simple dish reminds me of an episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. He went all the way to Italy and the dish he raved about was something spontaneous in a friend's garden. They picked some tomatoes, chopped them and tossed them with olive oil, fresh basil and a little salt (not even sure about the salt). That was it! Sometimes the simple things are the best...

Heart

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 4:27am

Post #13 of 56 (473 views)
Shortcut
Wow it's like two solitudes. [In reply to] Can't Post

You must be in computer science then? My head is spinning with all the work that lays ahead of you.

Smile

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 15 2012, 5:02am

Post #14 of 56 (473 views)
Shortcut
You sound like you know something but [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know for sure what work lies ahead.
These days nobody can be sure about finding work and avoiding the unemployment line, but I can always hope ... and cast a wide net just in case I find myself headed there in spite of all intentions otherwise ... while that hasn't happened yet I sometimes worry since it sometimes happens to people who are "doing everything right" as far as I can tell.

You just never know! But for the time being there is plenty on my plate ... gotta keep my wits about me if I want to make something good out of it (that and hard work etc.)!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 8:37am

Post #15 of 56 (485 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you clarified what you meant SirD [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you were going to ask what we would want our last ever meal to be!

Mine was an unhealthy meal ... we had chinese takeaway last night. It was a treat for looking after my nephew yesterday. Angelic

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 2:42pm

Post #16 of 56 (456 views)
Shortcut
That would be a little difficult to put into poll format [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would make an interesting thread though -- challenge accepted?

As for Chinese takeaway, I love the stuff. However it's kind of an inside joke that Chinese people don't usually eat what is served to Westerners as Chinese food. I always thought that was just an urban legend until I went to a friend's wedding (he married a lovely girl from Hong Kong... she was radiant, but I digress) and had authentic Chinese cuisine.

At the wedding they served boiled shredded jellyfish, roasted whole chicken, baked whole trout (oh my God it was about the most delicious thing I've every tasted), a duck soup, and a few other dishes that seemed familiar, but not really ;). As for fat content (I assume that's why you called your meal unhealthy) nothing was fried as far as I remember... even the dumplings were steamed. (Great now I'm hungry again.)

eta: I just remembered, that friend, his family ran a Chinese Restaurant that served the Western style fare Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 15 2012, 2:45pm)

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 15 2012, 3:15pm

Post #17 of 56 (459 views)
Shortcut
No extra tentacle soup? [In reply to] Can't Post

We frequent an authentic Chinese/Korean restaurant. Mrs. D orders off the American menu, but I always go straight to the Asian one and promptly select the jampong. A side of kimchi and I am good to go. Yum. Any more when we walk into the restaurant, they look at me and say "you want the soup?", and proceed to start cooking it as it takes longer than the American dishes.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 3:15pm

Post #18 of 56 (464 views)
Shortcut
That could make for a very interesting (and morbid) thread [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd just go to a restaurant and eat everything they have. Wink

I love Chinese food too - though, I'm not particularly adventurous when it comes to it, I'll end up ordering the same thing over and over again, just because I know I like it. I don't think I could eat the jellyfish. I've had octopus before, and while nice, it's the thought of it being an octupus that puts me off. I've also eaten reindeer, that was tasty! As for the unhealthy side of the food, I ate too many deep fried chicken balls last night ... definitely put strain on my heart there. Wink

I used to have a Chinese housemate. She loved cooking the "proper" stuff, but more often that not, would just get a takeaway or go to a restaurant. It probably comes down to the individual. She was born in the UK as well, perhaps that has a part in it.

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 15 2012, 3:22pm

Post #19 of 56 (470 views)
Shortcut
Nothing fancy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I chose other. Home made and eaten at someone else's home - that being my parents.

Cube steak simmered in a beef broth with lots of sliced mushrooms. On the side, we had mashed pototoes to pour the broth and shrooms over and some delicious corn on the cob. Mmmm, butter. Dad even whipped up some salsa as an appetizer. A real delight in comfort food. Smile

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 15 2012, 3:48pm

Post #20 of 56 (426 views)
Shortcut
well .... I turned the oven on. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pizza.

As long as you say frozen meals are home made.

I don't like to cook, so when the last child I was responsible for feeding on a daily basis moved out I stopped doing full out meals.

Frozen, canned, boxed. It's all fine with me. I do eat fresh fruit and salads.

Cereal .. either cold or hot is breakfast except for once or twice a month when I'll do sausage or bacon and toast.

I take fruit or salads for lunch to work.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 5:28pm

Post #21 of 56 (436 views)
Shortcut
not counting Honey Cheerios I had for breakfast... [In reply to] Can't Post

...dinner last night was so-so frozen lasagna. I had a hankering for lasagna. There used to be a restaurant near us that made the best lasagna but they went out of business. Then we'd get a kind of premium brand frozen lasagna (a local company that makes higher quality frozen meatballs, lasagna, etc.). But that brand of lasagna is not sold at the grocery store I shop at and shopping at multiple grocery stores for particular brands is too much trouble.

So I settled for the store brand (Target's Market Pantry) frozen lasagna and between the so-so quality of it and my attempting to use the convection feature on my oven (which seems basically useless), it was a disappointing meal.

We are being very frugal with groceries these days. So I don't buy many ingredients that are pricier but only supply flavor. It has to supply nutrients, bulk (potatoes or rice), or protein. So not much exciting is coming out of my kitchen these days! :-)

I've often thought of starting a thread asking for people's favorite frugal recipes. We do beans (in the pressure cooker) a lot with an occasional lentil dish. More spaghetti and sauce than I'd like. Chicken thighs seem more economically priced than other cuts and they're quick to grill. And we've started making Greek style flat bread at home (rather than buying it premade) - although I'm not 100% satisfied with the results, yet.

Luxuries are store-prepared (bake at home) pizza, hamburger, and the occasional addition of blue cheese, feta cheese, asiago cheese, artisan bread or guacamole to a recipe. (Cheddar is our go to staple)

imin
Valinor

Sep 15 2012, 5:34pm

Post #22 of 56 (413 views)
Shortcut
Steak and ale casserole [In reply to] Can't Post

Cooked in the slow cooker for most of the day until unbelievably tender - perfect for busy days when you just want to come in and eat something warm - all the prep was done the night before, took about 15 mins.

Made with an ale from my hometown as well, the first time i have ever seen it sold outside of Cumbria, so it tasted better for that to me, haha.

(This post was edited by imin on Sep 15 2012, 5:35pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 5:46pm

Post #23 of 56 (426 views)
Shortcut
Now * that * is a hobbit recipe! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the ale, local produce is supposed to be better for you. Something happening at the molecular level I guess.

Oh and that is local to you -- as in my local produce wouldn't necessarily be better for you than food from anywhere else.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 5:49pm

Post #24 of 56 (440 views)
Shortcut
your cornbread doesn't have any leavening in it [In reply to] Can't Post

interesting.

Buying boxed cornbread mixes is something I still do. There's a fairly cheap bread around here (Jiffy Mix) although making it from scratch like you do is probably cheaper still.

The Jiffy Mix is a bit dry. So I prepare it a little differently than called on the box.

The recipes (on the box) for either corn bread (muffins) or cornmeal pancakes are about the same but the pancakes use more liquid. I like something in between.

So..
one can of well drained corn (Green Giants Niblets) gets dumped into a bowl

the liquid gets drained into a half cup measuring cup

I grate some cheddar (maybe 1/4 cup) into the bowl and toss it around with the corn so it doesn't clump up

I add enough yogurt to bring the contents of the measuring cup (with corn liquid) up to the rim and add that to the bowl - recipe calls for 1/3 cup but I like it moister

add an egg (called for in recipe)

add a tablespoon or two of melted butter (not called for in the bread/muffin recipe but I think might be in the pancake recipe)

mix up and then add the cornbread mix and put in a square baking pan

I cook it for the time called for - 20/25 minutes.

It's pretty good. Of course, I've added some fat with the cheese and butter.

Black eyed peas aren't very popular here and my family isn't crazy about them. My oldest son can eat the pinto beans we cook up in the pressure cooker three times a day. We also have black beans and rice and/or black bean soup but the sons don't like them quite as well as pintos. We pretty much stick to those two beans.

I used to eat a lot of kidney bean salad from the recipe my grandmother used and I used canned beans for that. But when we moved from Michigan to Minnesota, the canned kidney beans were different. They were harder and gave me terrible gas. I've tried a lot of different approaches but have pretty much given up on this recipe.

And in Michigan, we ate a lot of great northern beans that came in a big jar. That isn't available so much here, either but I occasionally make a great northern bean or navy bean soup from scratch that everyone likes it.

Sam20
Lorien

Sep 15 2012, 7:07pm

Post #25 of 56 (419 views)
Shortcut
Last meal [In reply to] Can't Post

Well my last meal was a Saturday late breakfast at home: it was 2 eggs and 2 slice of bread with strawberry jamm. I made a quite delicous milkshake with that: Banana, strawberry, ice cream and milk all blended together.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Sep 15 2012, 7:08pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.