First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 13 2012, 11:29pm

Post #26 of 77 (450 views)
Shortcut
They were not bad scenes at all [In reply to] Can't Post

But still felt contrived and unnatural, as do many of PJ's "small moments."

Just don't dig his style when he zeros in on character moments. They feel like photo ops turned into dialogue scenes.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 14 2012, 12:13am

Post #27 of 77 (443 views)
Shortcut
Merry and Pippin's moment [In reply to] Can't Post

with Boromir is one of PJ's finest moments in the whole trilogy.

It's hard to have intimate character moments in a FILM like LOTR when the tone is so epic. It still works for me, but certainly not how a typical drama or indie dramady would do it.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 14 2012, 12:41am

Post #28 of 77 (457 views)
Shortcut
You can see them right here [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur on a stretcher:

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/.../02/bombursleeps.jpg

Thorin is blocking the view in these shots, but the group is trying to carry Bombur on a stretcher around a tree:

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/59.jpg
http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/67.jpg

Here you can see everyone exhausted after hauling Bombur around:

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/bfd821300.jpg

Based on this, I think we'll be seeing narcoleptic Bombur.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 1:03am

Post #29 of 77 (439 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood's my greatest fear [In reply to] Can't Post

It is hard for me to believe that they can turn that set into something believable. I hope it looks better than Fangorn, at the very least...

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 14 2012, 1:13am

Post #30 of 77 (420 views)
Shortcut
A narcoleptic Bombur would actually be hilarious. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'm in the minority here, but I largely enjoy Peter Jackson's humor (with the sole exception of Gimli in Paths of the Dead), and I think it will fit perfectly here.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 1:15am

Post #31 of 77 (412 views)
Shortcut
Bliss [In reply to] Can't Post

I envy you. If I could just enjoy the humor in PJ's LOTR, I would be a happier man.

However, as there is much more natural humor in the Hobbit book, I think he'll be relying a tad more on Tolkien this time.

I think, or I hope?

Hard to tell these days. Wink

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 1:15am

Post #32 of 77 (421 views)
Shortcut
Love narcoleptic Bombur! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for these! I'm so happy! I think Mirkwood is going to be great Smile

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manwë; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 14 2012, 1:23am

Post #33 of 77 (419 views)
Shortcut
Narcoleptic Bombur [In reply to] Can't Post

is opening for Arcade Fire this summer Wink

thanks for these photos, can't believe I didn't notice them in the vlogs!

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 1:27am

Post #34 of 77 (416 views)
Shortcut
It is [In reply to] Can't Post

The perfect indie rock band name, isn't it?

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Sep 14 2012, 1:27am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2012, 1:27am

Post #35 of 77 (409 views)
Shortcut
Ditto. [In reply to] Can't Post

Humor was good, the only bits i didn't like was in the extended scenes during the paths of the dead (including the pirates encounter).

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 1:28am

Post #36 of 77 (413 views)
Shortcut
Can you send me this elixir [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes you find PJ's humor genuinely funny? I would love to have a sip...Smile

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Sep 14 2012, 1:36am

Post #37 of 77 (391 views)
Shortcut
I seem to recall seeing him being carried in one of the clips we have seen.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Milknut
Rohan

Sep 14 2012, 1:39am

Post #38 of 77 (456 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just reread the battle scene to check and there was nothing explicit. Bolg is "crushed" by Beorn, not decapitated, and neither is the great goblin (a shining sword is described as going "right through" him). In neither case is the death described explicitly.

Fili and Kili die, but they do it offscreen. Thorin dies presumably in pain but there is not one reference to it (and yes, it matters in this discussion because implied pain is much less dark than described pain).

I couldn't find a single reference to heads on spikes outside Beorn's house (neither when they first arrive nor when they come back at the end of the book... where were you referring to?)

As far as the battle goes, there were a few general references to wolves doing some rending and to orc blood. I didn't find any gruesome descriptions of elves or dwarves dying.

You're right, a fourth of Lake-Town does die in the fire and the rest suffer sickness, cold, and hunger. But again it's in a general sense with no explicit descriptions. Dale is destroyed in the past so we don't see these things happening.

The master of Laketown does not go insane, he gets "dragon sickness"; i.e. greed.

Gollum is not clearly schizophrenic but it is possible and that's how they interpreted it in the LOTR movies.

The ponies are eaten offscreen, probably alive but we don't know.

Tolkien describes things in a general sense but we don't get any individual descriptions of most of the events that are horrific. This is the main problem I have with most of your list: these things are present, but they aren't emphasized in a way that makes the book especially dark. The reason I think The Hunger Games is darker is not because I have some agenda that requires it to be, it just happens to have gorier, darker descriptions. Seriously, read Cato's death scene.

I also happen to think children murdering each other for sport is a darker subject matter than a war with goblins. Sure, it's all death, but I think young readers are able to contextualize fantasy war a little bit better. The tone of The Hobbit isn't dark and that I think is what matters. I do think the same events could be narrated in such a way as to make The Hobbit darker than The Hunger Games, I just don't think Tolkien wrote it that way. I'm not going to say TH isn't dark or doesn't deserve a PG-13 rating if represented literally, but I will say that THG is much more so.

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

(This post was edited by Milknut on Sep 14 2012, 1:40am)

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 14 2012, 1:40am

Post #39 of 77 (415 views)
Shortcut
I always skip over that scene when I watch the trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Just pop in the second disc, press the "skip forward" button on the remote, start part II with Shelob's Lair.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 14 2012, 1:41am

Post #40 of 77 (418 views)
Shortcut
What's not funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

...about the line "Nobody tosses a dwarf!"?

That line = Comic Gold. Cool

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2012, 1:47am

Post #41 of 77 (414 views)
Shortcut
Yep, Gimli is very endearing. [In reply to] Can't Post

How can you not like him? What elixir did you drink that made you lose your sense of humor? Wink

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Sep 14 2012, 1:48am)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 14 2012, 2:04am

Post #42 of 77 (385 views)
Shortcut
I second that fear :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep seeing too many psychedelic mushrooms for my liking, even in the promo shots. Hoping that is still to be worked on.

Season of the Witch was a movie that I can't say many positive things about, but one of the few was an evil forest that looked menacing but believable. I thought if they did Mirkwood like that I would be happy.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 14 2012, 2:58am

Post #43 of 77 (374 views)
Shortcut
Those moments further character [In reply to] Can't Post

Character is at the heart of the films, rather than the world which I believe is what Tolkien is trying to present to us most. The world is a backdrop for people to walk around in and follow their adventures, I feel, no matter the work. Deciding which way to go to Moria, in the books, is quite literal. "Can we go this way? No. Can we go that way? No. I guess it's Moria time!" In the films, it's a decision which rests on Frodo solely, and they don't keep him in the dark about it as in the books. That's far more powerful, I'd say, then the "mystery" that Gandalf and Aragorn keep with it. Moria all ready has enough foreshadowing when they do speak about it. There's no reason to not to, especially when it deliberately misguides the company.

The text meanders a lot on stuff that doesn't need meandering on. They explain countless times about why Caradhras hates them. Okay, cool I guess, a feeling mountain. Can you get off it anytime soon? The scenes with Boromir particularly show him actually growing a motivation without explicitly speaking it. Sure, it required his character to actually have an arc (oh no!), but it was towards furthering the audiences understanding of them instead of just bridging scene. If I recall correctly, it takes them like 2 days to get down to Moria after deciding to turn around? It doesn't make the reveal more miraculous or the journey seem any harder. It's just wasting time, I feel.

Anyways, there's my "camping" rant Tongue

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 3:26am

Post #44 of 77 (389 views)
Shortcut
All I can say is [In reply to] Can't Post

These stories have stood the test of time, and seem to be beloved as books second only to the Bible.

I doubt the modern soap opera fantasy writers like GRRM and Jordan will be remembered with such reverence in a few decades.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 3:42am

Post #45 of 77 (367 views)
Shortcut
Not sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't think it made me lose my sense of humor, but it did seem to make me find stuff that's not funny...not funny. Wink

Honestly, I think 3/4 of the people here on TORN (from DanieLB to Lacrimae Rerum) are infinitely funnier than PJ could ever be (at least in his scripts).

Interestingly, though, away from his movies he seems to generally be a pretty amusing guy, with a refreshing sense of humor...

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 14 2012, 4:29am

Post #46 of 77 (358 views)
Shortcut
You're taking this time to bash on other authors? How sly... [In reply to] Can't Post

All I'm saying is that, in terms of these films, that purpose lays above all. The only time I've mentioned the other two authors (just for the record, Jordan isn't all that good, IMO) was about language... In another thread. We're not arguing lastability here, we're arguing flow and craft. Bringing that up is a bit advantageous like a time to bash on my tastes as a whole, even when I plainly state that Tolkien's works are clearly classic. It's just not the proper place for that type of argument Unsure

Perhaps we need an off-topic GoodGuy vs SA thread! The never ending battle! Evil

(This post was edited by GoodGuyA on Sep 14 2012, 4:30am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 14 2012, 7:08am

Post #47 of 77 (320 views)
Shortcut
Leave him there I say! [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 14 2012, 7:10am

Post #48 of 77 (327 views)
Shortcut
I love book Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a shame film Gimli is so different. Unsure

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 14 2012, 7:11am

Post #49 of 77 (331 views)
Shortcut
In my purseonal opinion ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh no, wait ... wrong thread.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 14 2012, 12:36pm

Post #50 of 77 (258 views)
Shortcut
Apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

I think some of it has to do with your very undiplomatic way of criticizing Tolkien for features of his writing that many here enjoy and find exceptional. Perhaps more IMOs?

I don't know.

Anyway, no need to continue this. It's all about different tastes, in the end, and nothing more!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.