Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Illustration for "...and all the small and simple things..."

Oct 27 2007, 7:10pm

Post #1 of 7 (461 views)
Illustration for "...and all the small and simple things..." Can't Post

Here is a pencil-and-tone drawing I did earlier this year to illustrate a poem by my friend Jan (who writes as "jan-u-wine") for Amon Hen 204, the quarterly bulletin of the Tolkien Society. Since I love doing LOTR fan art and Jan's poetry, this was a double treat for me. The challenge here was to *not* use any of the LOTR film actor likenesses; per instructions from the Tolkien Society. So, I chose a different route. If you'd like to read the poem that goes with this illustration, here is the link:

And here (hopefully) is either the illustration itself or a link to it:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

(This post was edited by labingi_maura on Oct 27 2007, 7:12pm)

Oct 28 2007, 10:07pm

Post #2 of 7 (187 views)
The picture does come up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice, I think, particularly the hands with the book. I like it's gentleness. All my work is of warriors and orcs! I found the poem, but I do not relate much to poems, but I tried and could follow at least the images and the sound of it. A good team.

Oct 29 2007, 1:19am

Post #3 of 7 (186 views)
Thanks orcbane [In reply to] Can't Post

That was kind of you to give the poem a try; Jan is very shy about sharing her poetry, although more people are reading her pieces now that she is appearing frequently in "Amon Hen". I will pass along your comment to her, thank you!
I wanted to capture the poem's sense of disconnection Frodo feels with the bright, happily-restored Shire (outside) and the darkness and despair he still feels inside (hence the teardrops on the left page.)

Aunt Dora Baggins

Oct 29 2007, 5:32pm

Post #4 of 7 (160 views)
That is so beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

and so melancholy, the contrast between the beauty and peace of Bag End, and Frodo's pain. Thank you for sharing this; it's really powerful. (I loved your Bilbo and Sam drawing too.)

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Oct 29 2007, 6:26pm

Post #5 of 7 (143 views)
Thank you Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad the sense of melancholy came through; that's what I was trying for. And thanks for sharing the link to a story of yours, I'd like to read it! I'm happy you liked the other drawing I posted as well.

Oct 29 2007, 8:16pm

Post #6 of 7 (159 views)
Niiiiiiiiice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice love the way you did the book.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shdows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Oct 30 2007, 12:12am

Post #7 of 7 (268 views)
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate your comments!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.