Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Rohan names

ninkakuul

Sep 11 2012, 4:24pm

Post #1 of 7 (389 views)
Shortcut
Rohan names Can't Post

I took on this lil project of a fan fiction wherein Common speech, Rohan etc have not been translated. This of course leaves us with Frodo being Maura, Sam being Ben, Merry being Kali and Pippin being Razar, the Adûni equivalent of Strider having gone past my character’s ears (because we don’t know the Adûni equivalent at all), and some ginormous trouble with rohirrim names. Because they are all translated. We only know that Théoden’s name is actually Tûrac, and Éowyn and Éomer’s names include either »lô» or »loh», ‘horse’.

Since Éowyn will be an important-ish character, I wanted to try to translate Éowyn’s name based on whatever info I can find. I happened to notice a similarity between the Adûni, Noldorin and Sindarin words for ‘joy’; »kali», »gyel» and »gell», respectively, and since older Adûnaic had no short E, I thought »gal» would make sense, if the word was borrowed from Sindarin or Noldorin.

Then there’s Adûnaic »aphan», ‘bliss’, which is also something I guess could be considered. Thus I have

Lôphan

Lôgal(î)

Lôkal(î)

However, it is very well possible that kali was borrowed into Adûni much after the separation of Adûnaic and the language of Rohan, in which case Rohan would not have it, and then I guess Lôphan would make more sense.

In no way am I a linguist and for a linguist this all would probably seem like utter nonsense, so like… If you know more than I do, share your knowledge. ;) Suggestions ideas whatever super-welcome!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 11 2012, 5:03pm)

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 12 2012, 12:25pm

Post #2 of 7 (231 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not want to let that thread go reply-less, but unfortunately, I cannot say anything scholarly because what you wrote already exceeds my own knowledge of untranslated Common Speech.

Let me make up for it by saying that those are some charming orcs on your tumblr page. And that's saying something, since I have a very deep and violent orc trauma because of all the years I've been stalked by my worst friend, the nasty orc Bqggz. Just yesterday he replaced my toothpaste with ground horseradish!

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

mandel
Rivendell

Sep 12 2012, 3:24pm

Post #3 of 7 (192 views)
Shortcut
Why joy or bliss? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there some mention in Tolkien of these concepts playing a role in the etymology of her name?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 12 2012, 4:39pm

Post #4 of 7 (194 views)
Shortcut
I haven't got a clue! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is no surprise to those who know me ;) BUT I'm fascinated with your project! Good for you!

Hang in there. It will all suddenly fall into place :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Elthir
Gondor

Sep 12 2012, 6:07pm

Post #5 of 7 (195 views)
Shortcut
I would say it's... [In reply to] Can't Post

... based on a translation of the Old English name Eowyn, considering OE eo(h) and so on. The author of The History of the Hobbit once pointed out

Eo = horse
wyn = joy

Hence Tolkien's belief that "Unwin", the name of his publisher, derived from
an old word for the devil (un + wyn) -- or so he told Rayner!

Quote is by John Rateliff (posted on elfling discussion group)

Also Sam's name should be Ban (for short anyway) rather than 'Ben' in the first post, although I'm guessing this was a mere typo.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Sep 12 2012, 6:14pm)

ninkakuul

Sep 12 2012, 6:58pm

Post #6 of 7 (183 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also Sam's name should be Ban (for short anyway) rather than 'Ben' in the first post, although I'm guessing this was a mere typo.

Oh snap. *facepalm* Aye, Ban, a short for (in this case) Banazîr. It wasn't a typo, but rather me just being absent-minded. Thanks for the correction!

Also thanks for the quote, I guess I should have mentioned I didn't just pull those elements out of the top of my head.

Thanks for the replies everybody!

ninkakuul

Oct 5 2012, 11:54am

Post #7 of 7 (151 views)
Shortcut
derp [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm back. So I was thinking about how it was said in Two Towers that Rohan was, something along the lines of harder in sound than Adûni, and I started to think about what sounds the language would possibly include, then, and thought that purrhaps it wouldn't have sounds like f and th, at least. I also noticed that the only Rohan words we know (Tûrac, Lohtûr, Lôgrad, kûd-dûkan) don't have the letters I and E, and even though it probably doesn't mean anything, I and E are pronounced higher in the mouth, they sound, well, more, um, youthful, I guess, so I'm kind of thinking that maybe, just maybe, Rohan wouldn't even have those sounds. Old Adûnaic didn't have E, anyway, so I don't think it's all that long a stretch.

Also I'm kind of thinking that purrhaps Rohan wouldn't have an S sound. Just a thought and I'm not sure how much sense that would make, and what about Z, which is really common in Adûnaic (S is apparently really much less common, seems to mostly appear in sh and as the first letter of the word), but, like, derrrrrp. I want a sassy linguist friend.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.