Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**Roll Call for March Discussion Leaders
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2007, 5:13am

Post #1 of 26 (388 views)
Shortcut
**Roll Call for March Discussion Leaders Can't Post

Hello to all the esteemed RR colleagues who volunteered to lead discussions in March!

Check out the schedule below (or in the discussion 'sticky' at the top of the board). If you volunteered to lead one of the March discussions, please indicate that you're still available, willing and sane enough to carry through (two out of three will do Wink). Thanks!!

Week 6 - Beg. 03/05: J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator, Ch. 2 - Saelind

Week 7 - Beg. 03/12: J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator, Ch. 3 - NZ Strider

Week 8 - Beg. 03/19: J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator, Ch. 5 - Lúthien Rising

Week 9 - Beg. 03/26: A. Lee - Daughter of Nienna

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Feb 26 2007, 2:07pm

Post #2 of 26 (189 views)
Shortcut
here! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 27 2007, 1:48am

Post #3 of 26 (211 views)
Shortcut
Saelind - Please Read This! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I try to open your post, I get an error message: "The post you attempted to access does not exist.”

This is probably due to you trying to use a pic for your avatar that is too big. Please read the blurb below from the FAQ on the Welcome board to help fix it. If you need help, email me at altaira@ theonering . net. Don't PM me because I won't be able to open your PM. Smile

2.29 I changed my avatar, and now nobody can see my posts! What do I do? You have tried to upload a file to use as your avatar that is too big. The result is that other users cannot see your posts and instead see an error message saying: “The post you attempted to access does not exist.” If this is the case, before contacting anyone or posting another message, click on the [Edit Profile] link at the top of the board and either change your avatar to another image (no larger than 100 pixels by 100 pixels and 65 Kb), or remove the image entirely, by choosing ‘None’ as the edit option in the Edit Profile screen. (Note: You may also need to log out and close your browser to clear the browser cache, then open your browser and log back in again before posting.) Please test your ability to post first by sending yourself a Private Message rather than trying to post on the boards directly, as no one will be able to access your post. Once you are able to read your Private Message, then the problem is fixed and you should be able to post normally on the boards. If you need further help, email an Admin (do not PM them as they wont’ be able to open your PMs either). See the Message Board Staff post in the Welcome Forum for a list of the Admins.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Saelind
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 4:33am

Post #4 of 26 (151 views)
Shortcut
trying again [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay I've fixed my profile and sent myself a test PM which did go through. Let's see if this works.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 27 2007, 4:34am

Post #5 of 26 (145 views)
Shortcut
Yay! It worked. [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileSmile

TORn Calendar

Saelind
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 4:35am

Post #6 of 26 (170 views)
Shortcut
it's working again [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm getting ready for my discussion. Just answering roll call.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 1 2007, 3:31am

Post #7 of 26 (113 views)
Shortcut
stretched but here / nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Websites Directory, my drawings,Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Saelind
Lorien

Mar 4 2007, 3:38am

Post #8 of 26 (134 views)
Shortcut
Help! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am getting ready for my discussion but cannot find all the pictures that are in the chapter. They are primarily from the beginning of the chapter, The Book of Ishness and some others. Does anyone know of a link that might have them? Also, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the pics I have from Photobucket to here. I've been trying to post a test page. Oh and that is me in the corner at a Ren Faire last summer.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 4 2007, 3:52am

Post #9 of 26 (152 views)
Shortcut
DoN probably has the best information. [In reply to] Can't Post

The list I posted here indicates which of Tolkien's pictures from Artist & Illustrator are available online at the War of the Ring site* -- and for your chapter there aren't many -- but perhaps more can be found using the links that Daughter of Nienna provided here.

If not, e-mail me. I'm at work now, but tomorrow morning, I'd be glad to scan any images you need and post to photobucket for your use. I can also offer some tips regarding images, though if you post to the Feedback board indicating the method you're attempting to use and the problems you're encountering, I'm sure you'll get some useful responses (but perhaps not on a Saturday night).

*However, concerning the WotR site, you'll find my key is often incorrect. But any picture I show as appearing at WotR can in fact be found there, usually under a different number than I provided.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 26-Mar. 4: Fan Artistry.

Saelind
Lorien

Mar 4 2007, 3:57am

Post #10 of 26 (115 views)
Shortcut
reply to NEB [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your help. I have saved the illos I could find on WoR to my computer as well as my photobucket account. I tried following the directions in FAQs about using photobucket but some reason the link didn't want to paste in the slot for me. I have checked out DoN sites already. They either don't have what I need or I can't get access to the site at all. I will keep trying though. I may have to have you scan the ones I haven't been able to find.

Wynnie
Rohan

Mar 4 2007, 3:08pm

Post #11 of 26 (125 views)
Shortcut
If you still need help [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd also be happy to scan A & I images for you, and post to Photobucket. Just give me the numbers of the ones you need.
I left you a note on Feedback about coding.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

Saelind
Lorien

Mar 5 2007, 2:10am

Post #12 of 26 (234 views)
Shortcut
illos needed [In reply to] Can't Post

I need 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 39, 41 and 49 (couldn't get it to copy) if someone can help.

Getting better at doing the pictures but having still having a bit of trouble creating thumbnails and then links to bigger pictures. From some reason, the pictures on my computer are trapped in Adobe photoshop version 3.

Wynnie
Rohan

Mar 5 2007, 4:26am

Post #13 of 26 (109 views)
Shortcut
ok [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I just saw your message and it's late here; I don't have time to do them all tonight. I can do the first few at least; hopefully you don't need them all for tomorrow. I'll let you know when I'm finished.

I really wouldn't worry about the thumbnail/bigger pics thing. Most of these are small to begin with; I'd just post them as is.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

Saelind
Lorien

Mar 5 2007, 4:32am

Post #14 of 26 (128 views)
Shortcut
pics [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Wynnie. I don't need all of them right now. I'll start with the Sil material instead so take your time.

Wynnie
Rohan

Mar 5 2007, 4:58am

Post #15 of 26 (107 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link [In reply to] Can't Post

to the album where I'm putting the images. (There's other stuff in there, but the most recent additions are at the top.)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v729/nesburns/Artist%20and%20Illustrator

I'm off to bed now.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2007, 11:18am

Post #16 of 26 (157 views)
Shortcut
GALLERIES WITH ART BY TOLKIEN - revised [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been a bit preoccupied lately, did not see this discussion here. This is an updated more complete list of links with Tolkien's own artwork. I hope this helps.

GALLERIES WITH ART BY TOLKIEN:
1. J.R.R. Tolkien section War of the Ring Art Gallery – (10 pages)
2. Mr Bliss by J.R.R Tolkien War of the Ring Art Gallery – (3 pages)
3. Council of Elrond: Tolkien Illustrations Gallery (58 on 5 pages)
4.J.R.R. Tolkien – Aumania Fantasy Art (57 images on 2 pages)
5. J.R.R. Tolkien – Tolkien France .net (16 images on 2 pages)
6. Art by J.R.R. Tolkien – Tlotr.com (11 images 2 pages)
7. Tolkien Gallery – J.W's LOTR Fansite (10 images, scroll down)
8. 'Letters From Father Christmas', 10 image slideshow – NY Times
9. Book Covers for 'Letters From Father Christmas' – Fantastic Fiction
10. J.R.R. Tolkien Gallery: Tiles, drawings, Family photos – Arwen-Undomiel
11. Rivendell in Swizterland – side by side comparison of a Tolkien painting and Photo
12. Talking About Tolkien – family photos – Talking About Tolkien .com
13. The Hobbit Collection?1937-2006 – Hobbit .ca (book cover images)

DoN

Websites Directory, my drawings, Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 5 2007, 12:11pm

Post #17 of 26 (131 views)
Shortcut
ooo-thanks. Clicks save. {nt} [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Wynnie
Rohan

Mar 6 2007, 1:54am

Post #18 of 26 (99 views)
Shortcut
and now [In reply to] Can't Post

the rest of them are up.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Mar 9 2007, 7:51am

Post #19 of 26 (113 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm still around! [In reply to] Can't Post

And as Sam might have said, I've missed a lot seemingly... New boards and all. I'm trying to read up on the discussions a bit while figuring out how to cope with the new boards. I do so wish that I still had the time to post here as I once did.

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 9 2007, 11:18am

Post #20 of 26 (139 views)
Shortcut
nice to see you :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if you just post every once in awhile, it's still welcome! I think once you get used to the new format you'll like it...I know I've quit compulsively clicking on the old board RR just to look at it, so I must be getting used to the new place!

Seriously, you'll love it, even if some of us do have a tendency to use smilies, which drives some of the others of us rather crazy.

(Could be why we use them?) Angelic

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 9 2007, 7:03pm

Post #21 of 26 (129 views)
Shortcut
Quality not quantity. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure whatever you contribute will be valuable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Mar. 5-11: Tolkien's "Visions, Myths and Legends".

squire
Valinor

Mar 9 2007, 8:25pm

Post #22 of 26 (108 views)
Shortcut
Nice to know you're around the place [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm looking forward to your discussion. Don't use any smilies, of course.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Elizabeth
Valinor

Mar 11 2007, 7:06am

Post #23 of 26 (100 views)
Shortcut
Don't think we don't miss you! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the last things to happen on the old boards was a compilation of old posts that no one wants to lose. You were prominently represented!

We look forward to whatever you can find time to contribute (when not chasing a yearling colt around).

Queen Mary II approaching Honolulu harbor
February 9, 2007, 7:30 am

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Mar 12 2007, 10:52pm

Post #24 of 26 (151 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the kind words, everybody; and, Elizabeth, [In reply to] Can't Post

it was very nice meeting your son and his family recently; and we hope to see you too in New Zealand someday as well. You're always welcome.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.