Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Until next time, Olympics!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:36pm

Post #1 of 9 (174 views)
Shortcut
Until next time, Olympics! Can't Post

London 2012 is officially over, next stop Rio 2016.

What a great summer of sport it has been - I must say that I've enjoyed it tremendously. I'm not particularly sporty, and don't often get "into" the Olympics. But what a hoot it has been.

Congratulations to all winners, all participants, and all countries. It's been great fun, and you've all done your nations proud. Smile

What have been people's favourite moments? Most exciting moments? And most shocking moments?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:56pm

Post #2 of 9 (66 views)
Shortcut
Opening ceremony. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am soooooo not into sports, but I always watch the country's opening ceremony. I thought London's was spectacular. I was most impressed with the transition from pastoral to the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution, and how it was portrayed with smokestacks and wheels to a throbbing drumbeat. Awesome. The closing one was a little over-the-top to me, though.

I hope Rio's is not all about Carnival.

Permanent address: Into the West

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 8:50pm

Post #3 of 9 (55 views)
Shortcut
I've been on the edge of my seat throughout both the Olympics and Paralympics. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rowing, diving/swimming, and cycling have to be my favourites. I'm really gutted I didn't get any tickets now.

The opening ceremony really was spectacular. I really enjoyed the Paralympic opening ceremony too - it had more meaning for me, and it features are very own Gandalf Wink. I missed last night's closing ceremony, so I'll have to catch up on that.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2012, 9:31pm

Post #4 of 9 (59 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sad it's all over [In reply to] Can't Post

It feels like London has been one massive party, and that now there's nothing to look forward to - which is absurd of course.

I thought my top moment would have been Katherine Grainger winning her gold medal, and though that's up there, it's actually another rowing moment (I am a rower after all) - Kat Copeland's face after finishing the lightweight women's double sculls final. She turned around because it seems she genuinely thought there was another crew ahead of them, turned back around to her partner Sophie Hosking, and said "we just won the Olympics!" And then "we're going to be on a stamp tomorrow!" Pure elation and astonishment and delight. I feel like London as a whole won the Olympics. I wish we could hold it every four years - but then Rio will surely be a blast too.

Storm clouds

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 9:58pm

Post #5 of 9 (56 views)
Shortcut
I wondered how you and all the other Londoners were faring... [In reply to] Can't Post

it must be difficult to come down off a high like that.

When we hosted the Superbowl (nothing as grand as the olympics, but you know what I mean) I stayed in my house. I'm afraid I don't do crowds well. But there was definitely a party atmosphere in the heart of the city, if all I saw on our local news was true.

Permanent address: Into the West

imin
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 10:09pm

Post #6 of 9 (45 views)
Shortcut
Favourite moment - hard to say as there are so many. [In reply to] Can't Post

I normally like the Olympics and get into the different sports but i think this time with it being in London and also with GB doing better than ever i got swept up in the excitement and i thought it was the best one of my life time.

I loved how they stuck to their ideas of inspiring a generation with getting young athletes to light the flame.

My favourite moments were some of the cycling - GB dominating was fun to see - though i dont get why swimmers can have a million medals but when GB do well they try everything they can to stop us by reducing number of riders and number of events - get rid of swimming events i say - they are the equivalent of 100m then 100m running backwards, running like a crab etc, haha.

I also loved watching the weightlifting just because i have lifted weights and to see what the heavyweights could lift was scary!

I also enjoyed the more obvious things like 100, 200m, jess ennis, mo farah. I felt really sorry for Tyson Gay in the 100m as he seems like a very genuine nice family man. the guy who came third - not so much!

Paralypmics - their opening ceremony was interesting - i cant help feeling like its all a bit of an anticlimax but i do feel like this paralympics has been the biggest and has given the athletes the greatest exposure - though again that could just be because i am from UK.

Was interesting to see how poorly USA have done in the paralympics - i am assuming they dont fund it very much compared to China who won three times as many golds as anyone else near enough.

Overall the Paralympics is due to the difficulties the athletes have to over come just day to day is truly inspiring and has made me feel terribly guilty for letting myself go when i have no disability or reason. They have definitely inspired me to better my health.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 9:50am

Post #7 of 9 (47 views)
Shortcut
And to top it off [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy Murray has won the US Open! Congratulations to him. Smile

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 11:13am

Post #8 of 9 (36 views)
Shortcut
There was. [In reply to] Can't Post

But to first respond to Daniel's question: My favorite part of the Games was the Women's 4x100 meter relay final. What an awesome display of speed. I replayed that race about a dozen times to burn it into my brain. What a great race!

We went downtown Thursday evening and (remember, it was unseasonably warm) walked around outside for an hour or so. It was quite the spectacle. We did not ride the zip line, but only because the wait was forever. It really was a fun time. By Friday, we avoided downtown the rest of the weekend, comfortably in our home. A once in a lifetime event (hopefully not, but you never know). Smile

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2012, 12:06pm

Post #9 of 9 (46 views)
Shortcut
It was wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shame its over.

Lots of good moments! - for me as a fencer being at the excel to see the mens foil team give a mighty scare to the Italians was wonderful.

Also teh paralympics was great too - so many wonderful sporting moments. I was at the aqautic centre on friday for teh 4x100m womens 34 point medlay relay when Louise Watkin started the final 100m 5 seconds behind the leader in 5th place and stormed through to take silver 3 one hundredeths of a second behind the Aussies. The noise was fearsome - I've never heard anything like it! That I think will be my personal sporting highlight of the summer.

I think the way Britain embraced both sets of games was wonderful, the organisation was great, everything went smoothly (relatively) - proud to be British this summer!

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.