Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are your three biggest concerns about The Hobbit trilogy?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

mandel
Rivendell

Sep 11 2012, 11:00pm

Post #151 of 175 (640 views)
Shortcut
Oy [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread has devolved into a screaming match. Even Elenorflower's hilarious Galadriel gags aren't lightening the mood.

She ain't the only source of amusement, though. Many of the complaints have the form "Here's what I think it's gonna be like to watch these movies, and I'm furious!" It's inherently funny...

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2012, 11:12pm

Post #152 of 175 (639 views)
Shortcut
Hate to say it [In reply to] Can't Post

but I just went through said appendixes not that long ago and counted pages containing any reference to the Hobbit or characters in the Hobbit and other than the 8.5 pages on dwarves there are the odd sentence or paragraph here and there about stuff so vague there is no way it could be used without making up 95% of it. People are going to feel what they want to but there really isn't that much information that is usable without digging too far into histories that really have no bearing on Bilbo's journey with the dwarves to Erobor. It's just more mud piled on top of whats already being piled on top of the Hobbit material because Peter Jackson knows this will be his last venture into middle earth. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. But then again I wanted the Hobbit as a film not a film about middle earth with the Hobbit sprinkled throughout dwarven backstory and made up content about what the White Council was up to.

If anyone has any specifics written by Tolkien about this DolGuldur subplot other than then few sentences that we all have already seen I would love to read them... Seriously Wink

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 11 2012, 11:17pm

Post #153 of 175 (637 views)
Shortcut
I am with you [In reply to] Can't Post

on this one Milknut (and can I say how cute you are?)

Those pesky Dwarves in the book were not all talking at once, a few of them had prominence like Balin and Kili and Fili and Bombur, but the rest of the time they were just in the background getting steadily wetter and more grumpy. So in the film its going to be a major distraction from poor little Bilbo if they all start scene stealing and becoming too much the diva Dwarf. Its all me me me with those Dwarves.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2012, 11:40pm

Post #154 of 175 (662 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that has anything to do with it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's just more mud piled on top of whats already being piled on top of the Hobbit material because Peter Jackson knows this will be his last venture into middle earth.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2012, 11:49pm

Post #155 of 175 (649 views)
Shortcut
That makes one of us [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe he has even stated as much that he wants to get as much as he can because of that... I can't find the specific quote but it has been said somewhere

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Sep 11 2012, 11:50pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 12 2012, 12:49am

Post #156 of 175 (630 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - the three film decision [In reply to] Can't Post

Was a very smart decision by PJ.

Curious, though. As you were convinced AUJ would still end with the barrels (see your thread from earlier), how do you feel about the new ending at the eagle rescue?

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Sep 12 2012, 12:52am)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2012, 1:24am

Post #157 of 175 (627 views)
Shortcut
Purist Version News [In reply to] Can't Post

You and others are taking this too literally. It's about purism - not the Purist Version. News sites are full of news about Tolkien purism and The Hobbit. The news isn't about a Purist Version, but the emergent wish for a Purist Version based upon all the news about fans and non-fans alike being concerned or outright objecting to the addition of the White Council storyline that is not in the book, and everything that relates to that. There was news and objection about characters returning from Lord of the Rings who were not in The Hobbit. There was news and objection about one small book being stretched into two films. There was news and further ojection about two films being stretched further into three. There has been much more printed of issues based upon purism over these past months and years, but I just can't think or write of it all at the moment. It was basically always news and objection about one book, one linear story transformed into something it is not. The emergent wish for a Purist Version as a natural consequence of all the concern is right there in all the news if you wish to see it.

Personally, I'll take as much Hobbit as I can get. I'm not a purist. I like the addition of The White Council. I'm sure I'll enjoy it without feeling guilty or upset about the book, though I will note the differences with interest. But I'm not above making an effort to see to the reasonable wants of others, especially when it would not affect my own experience what. so. ever. The Purist Version could be done and purchased on the very same disks that contain the full version. I think Peter Jackson and his team are fully capable of delivering The Hobbit saga in three films that render all our fears moot. But I'd love to see Peter Jackson's Purist Edit because I am curious not only about the film itself, but also if he would actually be so generous to everyone that he knows would appreciate it. I wouldn't put it past him. I would be impressed. Maybe impressed enough to forgive him about The Green Tint. Fair deal?

Now, for anyone who couldn't find an article, I'll link to just one below because I've spent too much time on this post already. It is from a major press site - The New York Times. I'm not saying it's the best article ever. It's just positive proof that you can find at least one if you look around. It's easier than making you prove articles about Tolkien purism don't exist. If you want to investigate further, some of the terms I would think to use on a search like this are: tolkien, purist, tolkien purism, lord of the rings, the hobbit, concerns, peter jackson, orlando bloom, cate blanchett, white council, hobbit 2, hobbit 3, expanded, xenarwen, outrage, <some impolite words>, ... and so forth.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/...bloom-to-the-hobbit/

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2012, 1:31am

Post #158 of 175 (601 views)
Shortcut
Oh - ok thanks but that wasn't what I thought you were talking about at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the same impression as the others.

LR

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2012, 1:33am

Post #159 of 175 (615 views)
Shortcut
Reverse Purism [In reply to] Can't Post

P.S.

In my search for purism, I found the following forum thread. It takes the point of view that Peter Jackson created the definitive Lord of the Rings and that Tolkien is a hack who ruined Jackson's story. It's a hoot. Enjoy:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12149

P.P.S. It should be obvious, but I'll just add the thread is a parody.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 12 2012, 1:42am)

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 12 2012, 1:37am

Post #160 of 175 (600 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien made two amazing stories of which have impacted my life and Jackson has so far adapted them in a way that has done the same. The whole one or the other debate is so beyond silly I can't even take it serious.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 12 2012, 1:41am

Post #161 of 175 (589 views)
Shortcut
But you see, that makes you doubly happy [In reply to] Can't Post

But there are those out there who did not like PJ's LOTR, who wish they were as doubly happy as you are!

I, for one, am hoping that the Hobbit succeeds in those areas that I think LOTR failed.

Fingers crossed.

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Sep 12 2012, 1:43am

Post #162 of 175 (588 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing the link JW. That was hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2012, 1:44am

Post #163 of 175 (582 views)
Shortcut
Quite Hysterical /// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 12 2012, 1:56am

Post #164 of 175 (600 views)
Shortcut
I am very happy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry others can't be the same.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 12 2012, 2:14am

Post #165 of 175 (575 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I am hoping the Hobbit films might remedy that for me...

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 12 2012, 3:52am

Post #166 of 175 (573 views)
Shortcut
LOL! And then someone gripes that they both ripped off the video game!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Spaldron
Rivendell

Sep 12 2012, 5:47am

Post #167 of 175 (583 views)
Shortcut
Hang on... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say comedy is PJ's weakest area.

You've never seen Braindead then?

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 12 2012, 7:20am

Post #168 of 175 (559 views)
Shortcut
That sort of gore humour doesn't amuse everyone. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of people find it distasteful, and much prefer the type humour that fills The Hobbit, especially in the first half.

In Reply To

I would say comedy is PJ's weakest area.

You've never seen Braindead then?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 12 2012, 7:45am

Post #169 of 175 (557 views)
Shortcut
If you enjoyed LOTR and TH Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

You should try The Silmarillion. Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

dungolfin
The Shire

Sep 12 2012, 12:11pm

Post #170 of 175 (552 views)
Shortcut
Inferior beings at work... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1) Not enough Tolkien dialogue. PJ and co will be forced to write their own, and it will show.
2) Bad dwarf comedy - I would say comedy is PJ's weakest area.
3) Before LotR, fantasy was niche film-making. Now thanks to LotR, uber-budget epic fantasy is everywhere. Are people too used to this type of film now? Will it have the same impact as LotR?
4) The first film feels far too similar to FotR in terms of story beats, and locations. This is a problem with the book though, not the film.
5) Those awful fake hands that the Dwarves have.
6) The Frodo/Old Bilbo bookending that just feels self-indulgent and unnecessary.
7) No-one really cares about 48fps, and the extra effort and expense that had to be invested in it could have been put to other use.

Yep I agree 100% with your first two points. That and changing completely character motivations and plot lines (Saruman? Elrond? Aragorn?). But then again I'm a book first Tolkien fan and quite opposed to seeing the great man's work meddled with by inferior beings.

(This post was edited by dungolfin on Sep 12 2012, 12:12pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 12 2012, 12:33pm

Post #171 of 175 (501 views)
Shortcut
I liked that as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I read it cover to cover for the first time last year and I enjoyed it a lot.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 12 2012, 12:42pm

Post #172 of 175 (509 views)
Shortcut
That's great :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I presumed you hadn't. Blush

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 12 2012, 3:23pm

Post #173 of 175 (482 views)
Shortcut
It's all good. [In reply to] Can't Post

No worries. :)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2012, 3:39pm

Post #174 of 175 (485 views)
Shortcut
I actually know quite a few people... [In reply to] Can't Post

who care about the 48fps.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2012, 6:00pm

Post #175 of 175 (508 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Me included Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.