Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2012, 1:33pm

Post #1 of 60 (406 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 2:47pm

Post #2 of 60 (159 views)
Shortcut
Rome [In reply to] Can't Post

I charged through the first eight episodes starting on friday night, and I plan to continue watching tonight. This is a cancelled series from HBO. Due to the high production costs, it only lasted two seasons. Showing all the geo-political intrigue, warfare, and sex you might expect from Rome BC as the transition from fractured republic to sprawling empire is created. Superb acting all around, but I am particularly enjoying Ciaran Hinds as Julius Caesar. My only criticism coming from all of the British accents appearing in Rome.....but once you get over it , its barely noticeable. The last episode I watched had Pompey fleeing Caesar to Egypt and well....things didn't go too well for him : ) Now Caesar is heading to Egypt in hot pursuit. Can't wait to fire up the blu ray player tonight !

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 10 2012, 4:11pm

Post #3 of 60 (155 views)
Shortcut
Finished up Season 3 of "Warehouse 13" [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I can start watching all the Season 4 eps on my DVR.

I love this show. Great concept and they have so much fun with it. The actress who plays Mika annoys me though, because she basically has one expression: when she wants to indicate any emotion you care to name (fear, surprise, enjoyment, confusion, whatever), she opens her eyes as wide as possible and tilts her chin up. This has gotten old.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

imin
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 4:22pm

Post #4 of 60 (156 views)
Shortcut
Total Recall [In reply to] Can't Post

I had previously seen the arnie version as a young teen and loved it so i had some doubts going into this from other reviews from people saying if you like the first one, then you wont like this.

I really enjoyed it and it was for me completely different to the cheesy version that arnie did.

I still prefer the original movie over this but i think that is more down to having feelings of nostalgia associated with the movie and being a big fan of arnold in general.

If i had watched this film first and then arnies i am pretty sure i would prefer this one.

Farrell has definitely bulked up for this one and was looking in fantastic shape - i would say he had the physique i wanna get to (maybe add a few more lb of muscle). I only mention this as obviously Arnie was massive in the original.

Yeah overall a solid movie 7/10

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 10 2012, 5:34pm

Post #5 of 60 (146 views)
Shortcut
Some Like it Hot [In reply to] Can't Post

with Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis

If you enjoy gender-bending comedy, this one is pretty fun. Lemmon and Curtis witness the St. Valentine's Day massacre, and flee in disguise with an all-girl band. Some of the mob stuff is pretty dark, and I was glad it was in black and white when the blood started to flow. But the romance stuff was fun. It was supposed to be set in Florida, but I recognized the Hotel Coronado in San Diego (where Baum wrote some of the Oz books.)

It was interesting to see how much society has changed since 1959 (or before; the movie was set in 1929). The constant harassment that unmarried women had to put up with, for example. And then there was a memorable scene where Lemmon decides he's going to marry a (male) millionaire. Curtis is shocked and lectures him about tradition and social values. And the amazing surprise ending. None of us saw that coming! My guess is the writers couldn't figure out how to get the characters out of their mess and just went with it.

There are a lot of laugh out loud moments, and some more subtle laughs: "Anything could happen. The stock market could crash."

We enjoyed this enough to watch it twice before we returned to the DVD to the rental place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 10 2012, 5:50pm

Post #6 of 60 (151 views)
Shortcut
Cowboys and Aliens [In reply to] Can't Post

The director seemed to have difficulty handling an ensemble cast and action on a large scale. The battle scene at the end was a complete disaster. Otherwise it wasn't a bad Western -- decent characters/acting, locations, props and costumes. The alien ships were kind of cool.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 6:31pm

Post #7 of 60 (138 views)
Shortcut
I liked this movie way more than I thought I would. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything that says "cowboys" automatically turns me off. But the "aliens" sounded intriguing, and it turns out to be genre-bending in a good way. I actually purchased it (when the price was cheap), and for me to do that says a lot in this world of Netflix.

Permanent address: Into the West

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 6:44pm

Post #8 of 60 (136 views)
Shortcut
Auntie Mame [In reply to] Can't Post

It was on public tv Sat night and I watched it all the way through. I often see this in bits and pieces but not often all of it.

I like this show a lot. It's got a nice message. I had an aunt who acted just like Auntie Mame (kind of pretentious but without all the forward thinking). No one in our family (she married in) liked her. But whereas I found my Aunt pretentious, I find Patrick Dennis' Auntie amusing.

Otherwise, I contributed to the worst weekend in ticket sales in a decade.

But since I almost never go to movies on weekends, and never full price ones... I'm sure I wasn't shouldering the burden on that figure.

I also got DVDs for a 1999 Brit comedy: Spaced. It has Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Frost has a secondary role) and is directed by Edgar Wright who also did Shaun of the Dead. It's off beat, I guess that's what you'd call it. Kind of inventive in spots. Lots of references to tv shows, movies, etc that you can have pointed out to you if you choose the 'homage a meter' as the closed caption option. One character is named Bilbo Bagshot. The 'homage a meter' tells us it is a literary reference to Tolkien's The Hobbit. :-)

I couldn't place one actor who plays the artist in the basement. I had to look him up to realize it was Thomas the postman from Lark Rise to Candleford. It was perhaps worth it to see him in a radically different role.

But whether the Brit humor doesn't fully translate for, or the targeted demographic is too young for me, or I just didn't get it... I won't be following up with further discs. I wish there was a star on Netflix for 'not my cup of tea' rather than 'disliked it'. Disliked it seems so critical. lol.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 6:45pm

Post #9 of 60 (151 views)
Shortcut
I did, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

well.. not more than I thought I would. The concept is my type of movie. But more than lots of other people seem to.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:09pm

Post #10 of 60 (170 views)
Shortcut
Psst Magpie--as a Downton lover... [In reply to] Can't Post

if you like spoilers...scroll down and watch this video. Between it and the other 3 promo trailers, I believe I've just about seen most of episode 1 of series 3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19468993

imin
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 7:33pm

Post #11 of 60 (124 views)
Shortcut
Spaced! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love spaced, pop culture references just constantly coming out at you.

I personally think it has a very strong british sense of humour which may make it harder for people of different cultures to find that funny. Though like you said it might be its aimed at people a bit too young compared to yourself - different stage of life or something or just not your cup of tea, im not sure.

For me it is excellent - think i will go watch it now, thanks for reminding me of its existence, haha :)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:38pm

Post #12 of 60 (143 views)
Shortcut
Spaced! I've not watched that (or heard it mentioned) in years! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliant comedy. Must remember to buy it on DVD!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 10 2012, 7:40pm

Post #13 of 60 (133 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones has come to free TV [In reply to] Can't Post

so I watched the first episode last week. Unfortunately I can't take it seriously because the actor playing Jaime Lannister reminds me too much of Prince Charming!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

imin
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 7:42pm

Post #14 of 60 (156 views)
Shortcut
I thought you might like Spaced as well :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Will have to get my dvd of it and post it over for you as its somewhere in my flat!

Failing that its cheap as chips on dvd now! lol.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:45pm

Post #15 of 60 (152 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard this is pretty violent--something that I shy away from. Would you say that's true, Ataahua?

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 8:05pm

Post #16 of 60 (114 views)
Shortcut
I like some Brit humor [In reply to] Can't Post

other... not so much.

I liked Outnumbered but not My Hero. I liked Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By but not Are You Being Served or Last of the Summer Wine. I loved Vicar of Dibley, Red Dwarf and even The Young Ones.

I also think some shows are better seen when they're on... with a week between and some time off. Rather than sitting down and watching 7 episodes in a row.

I do like Pegg a lot, though.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 8:07pm

Post #17 of 60 (118 views)
Shortcut
Please let me hijack this thread and ask if anyone has watched the "Resident Evil " series of movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

are they any good? Are they very bloody? Ya'll know me as a Jane Austen, Downton loving kinda gal. But I love The Fifth Element, too. Would you recommend this series? I ask because I see one of them is available in 3D, and I'm curious. The description --a post -"pharmaceutical monster" world sounds intriguing, but is it over-the -top?

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 8:07pm

Post #18 of 60 (114 views)
Shortcut
I think he's meant to [In reply to] Can't Post

evoke Prince Charming. Kind of like the various cylon characters portrayed by Tricia Helfer played contrary to visual stereotypes.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 8:12pm

Post #19 of 60 (137 views)
Shortcut
This show isn't just 'pretty violent' [In reply to] Can't Post

(interesting juxtaposition of words there... kind of like 'good grief')

this show can get extremely violent. To be honest, I can't say how graphic most of it gets because I can't look. But it's so upsetting to even consider some of it doesn't matter what they show. People are not only violent, some of them are despicable and despicably violent. I watched a scene last week that I couldn't even bear to endure with my eyes closed or the sound off (two tactics I use to get through stuff). I had to fast forward through it.

I thought Battlestar Galactica got gritty and I was 'okay' with it. I was really pushed to my limits with some of the stuff in Deadwood. This show is worse than either, in my opinion.

But, I'm still watching. That tells you there is something else there, too.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 8:13pm

Post #20 of 60 (122 views)
Shortcut
I enjoy teasers... [In reply to] Can't Post

but that sounds pretty spoilerish. I think I'll just wait and watch the episode. :-)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 8:18pm

Post #21 of 60 (131 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it is very spoilerish. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably wise.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 8:20pm

Post #22 of 60 (118 views)
Shortcut
um. I thank you very much. I've been so curious... [In reply to] Can't Post

but this sounds as if it greatly exceeds my comfort level, and I don't care what the redeeming factors could be. Kind of like Passion of the Christ. Thanks.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 8:28pm

Post #23 of 60 (110 views)
Shortcut
Doctor Who (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the new series started last week, and I was a little skeptical about Asylum of the Daleks. After a second, and third, viewing, it's brilliant. Not entirely sure why I moaned the first time round. Wink

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was this week's episode ... I wasn't impressed. Just an episode full of un-funny jokes, rubbish robots, and a poor script. The last 15 minutes probably made up for it. I hope the series picks up ... and pretty soon.

It already feels like Amy and Rory have left. Unsure

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 8:37pm

Post #24 of 60 (109 views)
Shortcut
funny you should ask as one of them from the series was on tv over in the UK last night [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it was run of the mill violence but i am probably more used to seeing it than you are if you find yourself covering your eyes or ears like magpie.

For me the violence is all part of it and makes it more enjoyable - i know violence is wrong but it is entertaining to see, just depends how much blood n guts you like :P

I would say watch it and let us know what you think, you never know you might love it :)

imin
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 8:40pm

Post #25 of 60 (104 views)
Shortcut
wow you really didnt like that did you, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was this week's episode ... I wasn't impressed. Just an episode full of un-funny jokes, rubbish robots, and a poor script. The last 15 minutes probably made up for it. I hope the series picks up ... and pretty soon.

These are the few episodes i must have seen from the newer Dr Who which have put me off.

Do you think its worth getting into this new series if i havent seen the rest of them since 2005? Will i be able to follow the story and know whats going on you think?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.