Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - The many moods of Frodo Baggins.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kassandros
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 2:06am

Post #1 of 44 (1391 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - The many moods of Frodo Baggins. Can't Post

I'm going to do things a little differently for this one and take a look at five different screen caps of Frodo, each showing a different expression.

A. Gazing into Mordor.

Larger image: http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/images/ttt/ttt0027.jpg

B. "Nothing ever dampens your spirits, does it, Sam?"

Larger image: http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/images/ttt/ttt0032.jpg

C. "It's because we've been here before."

Larger image: http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/images/ttt/ttt0035.jpg

D. "We're not alone."

Larger image: http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/images/ttt/ttt0037.jpg

E. "Release him, or I'll cut your throat."

Larger image: http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/images/ttt/ttt0047.jpg

1. How would you describe what Frodo is feeling in each of these images?

A.
B.
C.
D.
E.

2. Which expression do you feel is the most expressive and convincing? Which is the least so?

3. What do you think of the character of Frodo Baggins in this part of the movie? Is there any significance to the variety of moods represented here?

4. Any other thoughts on these images, Frodo's character, or Elijah Wood's acting?

Many apologies for posting this so late in the week!

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 10 2012, 3:16am

Post #2 of 44 (627 views)
Shortcut
Great bulging eye balls! [In reply to] Can't Post

A. Yikes!
B. You're swell
C. Ah man...
D. Don't look now, but...
E. Imma stick a maggot 'ole in ewe.

2. Which expression do you feel is the most expressive and convincing?

C. Ah man...

Which is the least so?

E. Imma stick a maggot 'ole in ewe.

3. What do you think of the character of Frodo Baggins in this part of the movie?

His leadership skills are starting to show.

Is there any significance to the variety of moods represented here?

Er... hmmm... that's a poser. I will say that the arrangement would seem to dispel the myth that Wood's Frodo had a limited range of expressions. Is that what you are getting at?

4. Any other thoughts on these images, Frodo's character, or Elijah Wood's acting?

I'm surprised at how different his hair looks from shot to shot. Especially D. I know lighting can affect such things as volume and texture, but D looks practically straight compared to the fro he's got going on in B.

Thanks for leading this week Kassandros!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2012, 3:44am

Post #3 of 44 (583 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting, [In reply to] Can't Post

So many variables in one section! I can't think to go in-depth for each cap, but I would definitely describe the first as "immense culture shock".

In terms of Frodo in this portion of the movie, I always find these parts stand out to me. Something about Elijah's performance and the script feel more like book Frodo to me than anywhere else. He behaves responsibly and independently in a way that reflects the leadership and maturity Frodo had over the others in the text, as I see it anyhow. Definitely a great way to open the movie for me.

Enticing post, Kassandros! Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 3:53am

Post #4 of 44 (648 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever seen this webpage? [In reply to] Can't Post

The One Expression

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

zarabia
Grey Havens

Sep 10 2012, 5:42am

Post #5 of 44 (601 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much agree with SirD and OneRinger, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

A. Panic
B. Warmth and amusement
C. I can't beat Sir D's "Ah, man!" Smile
D. They're heeere - or rather, He's heeere.
E. I'm tired, hungry, away from home, and frankly I'm already fed up with your antics...so don't push me!

I agree with SirD here. I think this is something that everyone can relate to. (Parking garage, anyone?)

Which is the least so?

Gazing into Mordor looks a bit over the top, and therefore, least convincing. But I think that's due more to this being a still frame. I don't remember it seeming so OTT in the film.

3. What do you think of the character of Frodo Baggins in this part of the movie? Is there any significance to the variety of moods represented here?

What OneRinger said.Smile

Elijah Wood may not be the greatest actor of his generation, but I think a large portion of credit for the success of these films goes to him. The success or failure of LOTR depended on how much the audience believed in and cared about Frodo -without those elements, the films would have collapsed. Elijah made a believable and sympathetic Frodo which allowed the audience to believe in and care about the the story as a whole. I had a hard time believing before-hand that a teenager could be Frodo, but he was. And a darned good one! Smile

Thanks, Kassandros!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 5:57am

Post #6 of 44 (559 views)
Shortcut
The more I think about it [In reply to] Can't Post

The more I wish that Frodo had been played by a different, more experienced, and older actor.

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 10 2012, 7:26am

Post #7 of 44 (580 views)
Shortcut
The secret directing tricks of Peter Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

1A: "OUCH! Peter Jackson just poked me with a pointy stick!"
1B: "Heh heh. Peter Jackson just poked Sean Astin with a pointy stick."
1C: "Oh no. Please. Not the pointy stick again."
1D: "It's too quiet... What is Peter Jackson up to now?"
1E: "POKE ME ONCE MORE AND YOU WON'T POKE ANYTHING EVER AGAIN!"

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 7:51am

Post #8 of 44 (583 views)
Shortcut
Noel, can I be your friend? [In reply to] Can't Post

Together we will convert the anti-Tolkien heathens. You with your divine Tolkien-books-nostril-gun, and I as your squire. Certainty of death, small chance of success. What are we waiting for?!

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Sep 10 2012, 7:51am)

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 10 2012, 7:59am

Post #9 of 44 (554 views)
Shortcut
Yippie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Grab a pointy stick, and off we go! Cool

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 8:02am

Post #10 of 44 (545 views)
Shortcut
Now all we need to do is to get our hands on JRRT's time machine. [In reply to] Can't Post

When it comes to converting the heretics such as Peter Jackson, we can't risk anything.

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 10 2012, 8:44am

Post #11 of 44 (536 views)
Shortcut
Now that is a good idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

We shall travel back and convert Peter Jackson before his birth, by reading Christopher Tolkien's HoME footnotes with a bullhorn to his mother's womb!

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 9:03am

Post #12 of 44 (532 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

And when PJ comes of age, we will also make him read at least 5 of JRRT's published letters a week. When the help of our time machine, we will also make sure that he will never encounter Fran Walsh or Philippa Boyens in the future, by making sure that PJ is born in England and not in New Zealand. When he turns 10 years old, he will begin working for the Estate, serving as Christopher Tolkien's butler (to prevent any herecy in the future)

While we are at it, we could use the time machine on Philippa Boyens as well, by reading and re-reading Faramir quotes out loud from LOTR so she will make sure to appreciate the character of Faramir for the rest of her life.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Sep 10 2012, 9:10am)

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Sep 10 2012, 9:45am

Post #13 of 44 (538 views)
Shortcut
Eyebrows! [In reply to] Can't Post

A. HORROR
B. You silly bugger! I love you.
C. I want. To die.
D. Something doesn't feel quite right...
E. No one touches my Sam! Except that bloody farmer's daughter of course.

C. Interestingly, a very similar eyebrow configuration to B.

Which is the least so?

D.

Well I suppose the ring is starting to play havoc with his emotions somewhat. But anyway, he's got to show some interesting expressions to hide the fact that not that much is going on in the first half of TTT for him.

He's got some damn expressive eyebrows!

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 10 2012, 10:18am

Post #14 of 44 (498 views)
Shortcut
And I thought *I* was evil ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 10:25am

Post #15 of 44 (509 views)
Shortcut
Mu-ha-ha-ha [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

Nightingale
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 11:00am

Post #16 of 44 (492 views)
Shortcut
This exchange is priceless; *love* you guys!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Kassandros
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 1:05pm

Post #17 of 44 (513 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is there any significance to the variety of moods represented here?

Er... hmmm... that's a poser. I will say that the arrangement would seem to dispel the myth that Wood's Frodo had a limited range of expressions. Is that what you are getting at?

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 10 2012, 1:50pm

Post #18 of 44 (503 views)
Shortcut
I'm convinced. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's the eyes.

A horror
B comradarie
C exasperation
D alertness (most convincing) (least expressive)
E fury (most expressive)

Frodo is taking on more of a leadership role in this part of the movie.

At the time that the LOTR movies came out, Elijah's depiction of Frodo made me like Frodo a lot more Blush

Kassandros
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 2:08pm

Post #19 of 44 (481 views)
Shortcut
I thought you had always felt that way? [In reply to] Can't Post

When the movies came out, I was always a bit surprised that Frodo's age wasn't more of an issue. He is a much younger Frodo than in the books. I felt the perfomance captures the spirit of the character, but it's impossible to deny that it's a change.

I've always been amused that the hobbit actors' ages were in the opposite order of the hobbit characters' ages.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 10 2012, 3:39pm

Post #20 of 44 (481 views)
Shortcut
* is confused * [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually? Actually what? Did I get that one correct? Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

Kassandros
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 3:50pm

Post #21 of 44 (487 views)
Shortcut
Oops - The forum ate my post! [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently I didn't type my reply in the correct place in terms of the quote feature, because it's disappeared!

I meant to say that I was not actually trying to make a specific point. When I looked at the screencaps, the big variety of Frodo's moods kept jumping out at me so I decided to focus on that. I figured critics of Elijah's performance would consider some of these to be overacting, to be honest.

I did consider doing a SCOD focusing on one of the interesting compositions in this section, and it was tough deciding which direction to go, but Elijah's expressions kept calling to me, so I went with it.

Kassandros
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 4:22pm

Post #22 of 44 (483 views)
Shortcut
To be fair, though... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do adore Elijah Wood's Frodo. So that may have influenced my choice as well, though I understand others see things differently.

kzer_za
Rivendell

Sep 10 2012, 4:52pm

Post #23 of 44 (487 views)
Shortcut
I think that movie Frodo basically captures the broad arc of the book character [In reply to] Can't Post

He willfully takes immense suffering upon himself and sacrifices his happy Hobbit life to destroy the ring. And they mostly do a good job with his relationship with Sam (I wish "go home" weren't in the movie, but I don't think it ruins their relationship).

Some of his other character traits, though, are ignored or marginalized. He's still courageous in the sense that he voluntarily bears a terrible burden and doesn't give up, but I would have liked him to stand up for himself more like at the Ford and Weathertop. And he almost completely stops smiling pretty early in the trilogy (the screen you posted is one of the few exceptions). Even with the stronger movie ring, I wish Frodo could stay a happy Hobbit a little longer.

So I'd say movie Frodo could have been better, but I still like him.

(This post was edited by kzer_za on Sep 10 2012, 5:00pm)

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 12:14am

Post #24 of 44 (505 views)
Shortcut
I admire the casting of Elijah Wood, and a young actor, as Frodo in the films... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo of the books is a character who I at least found I only "got" after many readings...and which became easier for me as I grew older. For the films, I think, they were smart to give us a an actor in the role who was so young -- they needed the audience, non-book folks especially, to connect to Frodo and his journey on some level without a lot of the background and insights Tolkien gives us on him. In a visual medium, I think it was lot easier to connect with Frodo as a young man who responds quickly when called to serve his country, is tested, and becomes a sacrificial victim for it, than his older, book counterpart who takes the longer path of letting go of his comforts and evolving on a very deeply spiritual basis over a much longer length of time.

So much of Film Frodo's story, also, is told through non-verbal acting -- without the book in front of you, the only way into Frodo, really, is through what he shows us. I can see why they were drawn to an actor like Elijah Wood, who is able to communicate so many different kinds of emotions so clearly (for me, at least!) and who has those very striking eyes as a focal point to hook the audience.

Did we all get "all" of Book Frodo in the films? Like many other aspects of the Tale, the answer is No, because to my mind, only parts of the Tale are suitable for dramatization, or at least not all parts of it at the same time! But I commend the film makers, and Elijah Wood, for giving us a Frodo who very capably conveyed what it cost Frodo to do what he do for the higher good he was asked to serve.

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 12:36am

Post #25 of 44 (486 views)
Shortcut
Here's where cutting out a lot of the early hobbits-only chapters made a difference, I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books, Frodo is pretty much at the mercy of things a lot in those early sections -- he's scared of Maggott's dogs, and the Old Forest, and runs around there crying for help. It's not until after he meets Tom that he gets an example of how to stand up against the dark side of Faerie. So he's got that working for him when he does finally take a stand at the Barrows. That scene then serves as a "test" for him where he's tempted to flee, which he passes by choosing to act to save the lives of his friends instead. Because of all this development, it makes sense for Book Frodo to act heroically at Weathertop and the Ford. He's had some battle training, and some mentoring, and he's grown from it.

Film Frodo, though, goes off on the spur of the moment, and has no example of Farmer Maggot or Tom Bombadil to learn from. There's really no basis in the films for him to do anything other than be scared to death at Weathertop. After that, the flight to the Ford happens so quickly that there's no time to really expect him as a wounded guy to do anything other than be lucky if he stayed alive until he got to Rivendell.

The other thing that works better on screen by not showing Frodo as strong early on is that his heroic side really stands out when we see it for the first time -- and that's when he stands up and says he'll take the Ring to Mordor at the Council. I liked the way that all played out on screen, and I think it's because they laid the foundation for that scene so well with what they chose to show -- or not show us -- about Frodo before that.

All IMHO, of course! Smile

Weaver

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.