Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A dedication and a celebration
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 10 2012, 12:35am

Post #1 of 27 (235 views)
Shortcut
A dedication and a celebration Can't Post

Today i was fortunate enough due to good enough health, to be able participate in yet another triathlon. I realize as the time and the years pass by, this is what i have chosen to do in my personal quest to celebrate life in its fullness. In different words it is my chosen way to feel totally alive.

And i realize that we all need this quest, each in our ways to find: 'Our Bliss'

Today i wanted to dedicate my race to one of us who i feel does this. She is a beautiful spirit that we have all came to know. It is one that i call 'HappyHob', in short. Here is a vibrant and happy soul that can achieve, her bliss, not only over coming physical limitations but also over coming a great fear, water, and has found her way to replace it with joy and self-confidence. I also know that she would if she could, do a triathlon, so i in her stead did one in her honor *bows to our HappyHob*.

It turned out to be a delightful morning, this morning, after the passing deluge of yesterday. Greenwood Lake was all a sparkle and a few puffy clouds adorned the sky to high-light the vibrant blue of the sky.

Mrs. sil, young sil and i watched the sun peep up there at 6:30 AM during sign-in and body marking and transition set-up.

It was a big clockwise triangle half mile swim (actually i think they goofed for the swim distance for the times were about 4minutes too long, quessing it was about .68 instead), 17.9mile bike (all the way around the lake), and a 4mile run (up and back on part of one side of the lake). It was quite hilly and swoopy to make it all interesting.

I have four pictures i choose to show you HH and all:

This is just before the swim start at the pre-race meeting beach side going over the course and rules. I am #586 there.

Here is the transition area swim to bike exit. . All helmets must be on and locked right off.

Once all 3 phases are done we get to cross the finish line, as fast as 'what's-left' will take us TongueLaugh.

And if, after much training and luck there is the award ceremony, where one can place in their age group. This day i was lucky to win in mine, 60-64. Thank you mrs. sil and young sil* for their picture getting efforts.

Thank you for looking in, and the last thing i'd like to request, is to give a [[[[[[group HUG]]]]]]] to our own HappyHobbitess Smile hoping she will one day prove me wrong:).

* Young sil wanted to paricipate (wishful look) knowing about how he would have placed, but his cross country team comes first having another tough meet tuesday.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manw let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manw Slimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 10 2012, 2:12am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 10 2012, 1:03am

Post #2 of 27 (88 views)
Shortcut
Looking good Sil [In reply to] Can't Post

you could crack walnuts off those abs... you make 60 look like the new 40.

And how thoughtful of you to dedicate the race to HappyHobbitess, and then to win! That is something a knight would do... arise Sir Silneldor.

Heart

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2012, 2:20am

Post #3 of 27 (72 views)
Shortcut
Quest accomplished! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the "gold" recovered! Laugh What a sweet thing to do, dedicate it to HH (who has managed to accomplish something she never imagined she could!). Massive group {{{hug}}}!

That's great, sil, it's good to see you in top form, and all the injuries worked away. And you had fantastic weather for it! So how are you feeling now - still energized? And how many miles will this add to your Walk to Rivendell and beyond? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 3:07am

Post #4 of 27 (83 views)
Shortcut
I see you're in pink again! [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkLaugh

Congratulations on another win. Reminds me of my Uncle Jim. He and two other friends of a "certain" age always competed together in judo. One guy would always place first, the other would place second, and Uncle Jim would bring up the rear. They were the only ones in their age group. They laughed that they should just skip the actual competition, go out for Guinness, being Irishmen from way back, and show up later to collect their prizes. Laugh

And congrats to HH as well, for overcoming her fear and discovering a new sport! {{{Hugs!}}}

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2012, 3:19am

Post #5 of 27 (81 views)
Shortcut
Congrats, sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a great day!

Where's Frodo?

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 7:10am

Post #6 of 27 (59 views)
Shortcut
Yay, good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I ran 8 marathons and many shorter races, but can't run any more. The age-group game really works for us as we get older (I won my 66-70 age group in my last 10K in 2005)! Gold star, gold cup, and a golden salute for you in persevering!

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:29am

Post #7 of 27 (60 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great achievement silneldor, well done Smile. And by the looks of it, the weather held up for you. Must be awful doing the trathlon in torrential rain!

I wish I could participate in events like this. My achilles tendon in both feet is too short, and I'm flat footed - I can't participate in any high impact sport as my feet just give way. Very painful.

Hugs to both you and HH Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 12:35pm

Post #8 of 27 (78 views)
Shortcut
Inspiration [In reply to] Can't Post

I find your dedication and motivation very inspiring. Congratulations on your successful return to the Triathon and best of wishes for continued good health.

*joins group hug for HH*

My 5K age group (40-45) is extremely competitive. I hope to someday finish in the top 5, but in the meantime I'm still competing against myself.

I am very happy for you, sil.Cool

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2012, 12:46pm

Post #9 of 27 (50 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic - way to go, sil! // [In reply to] Can't Post

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 10 2012, 2:12pm

Post #10 of 27 (49 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done to you and HH and everyone involved. And more power to you both---from someone else in that "surely 60 is the new 40" age group Wink

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 12:14am

Post #11 of 27 (48 views)
Shortcut
Wanna have a kayak race in yon river Den? [In reply to] Can't Post

Believe or not, i have never been in one. I am basically a canoe guy.
I have had a hard time getting a wetsuit to fit. I keep telling all of them i am gimli proportioned, everything is tight across the chest, but they don't get the vision, or the joke:)! Years and years and years of firewood detail....
Love ya brother.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 12:22am

Post #12 of 27 (52 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you got to love her d:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel good today.
We will see the end of the week what the mileage is and circumstance i am in, in Middle-earth. It won't be that much actually. Mileage come more from long training bouts, and not from actual races.
How are your hikes doing? ..By the way:)

J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 12:32am

Post #13 of 27 (51 views)
Shortcut
Family competitive camaraderie [In reply to] Can't Post

can bring a family together. Sounds like they have a ball. Right now i love my son for beating the pants off meTongueCool
That's my favorite tank top..for special occasions:)
Happy Hob has come a long way indeed. I always look forward for news of her doings.

J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 12:34am

Post #14 of 27 (34 views)
Shortcut
Hi FF! [In reply to] Can't Post

How is the bike riding going?

It was, a very fine day:) Thanks.

J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 12:53am

Post #15 of 27 (37 views)
Shortcut
An age group win in the 66-70! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is righteous Elizabeth. Let's see if i can join you in that high accomplishment one daySmile

You know Elizabeth, at the race i met a guy that is racing with a hip replacementShocked. I know! And he says he is going to do a half ironman in a couple of weeks! We talked and he said he just had the parts 'resurfaced'...but still, the jarring on the bone connection points? He is doing it though. ..I got his doctors name and the orthopedic group, just in case. Actually this is good news. After all the warning too about knee/hip replacements and running.
I hope you are finding ways to stay fit. You hike still i believe.

J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 1:09am

Post #16 of 27 (40 views)
Shortcut
Thank you DanielLB [In reply to] Can't Post

It is too bad you cannot run. Have you pursued the surgical option? Have you tried a serious approach to stretching? There is always the bike and the elliptical trainer, and water running. That is a great workout.
My feet are fairly flat as well. Good shoes are critical. My son and i run in Brooks shoes. Good shoes!
I have raced in the rain. It is quite the experience, especially in the 40'sShocked. Those spring duathlon days are over lol.
The best to you on your efforts toward fitness DLB.

J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 1:18am

Post #17 of 27 (49 views)
Shortcut
I understand about that age group. [In reply to] Can't Post

It IS tough. No doubt about that. I remember:).
Just keep working on your PR's Del. It took me until i was 50 before i could grab places in some races i really wanted.
I might be joining you in a 5K or two still this season. We will see.
Thanks Del.

J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 1:20am

Post #18 of 27 (31 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Notta! I really appreciate it:)\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 1:24am

Post #19 of 27 (35 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Lily. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is so essential to keep in motion, no matter what. HappyHob is my inspiration:).

J.R.R. Tolkien

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 1:33am

Post #20 of 27 (62 views)
Shortcut
Hey, you look good with that medal! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kind of like Han Solo at the end of the first Star Wars movie! All you need now is Luke and Chewie to stand next to you whilst we all applaud!

Mr. Weaver and I have been walking about 1.25 miles a day most days; and he's started walking the golf course. Thanks for inspiring us to get off the couch and overcome our fears of fitness! Go you!

Weaver

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 1:42am

Post #21 of 27 (47 views)
Shortcut
Actually getting better at it [In reply to] Can't Post

and as a side effect my arms, shoulders and pects are bulking up nicely. Cool

Seeing some strange wildlife too... yesterday I followed a beaver for a bit, and found the remains of an eel -- didn't even know there were eels in the St. Lawrence River!

I'm down with canoeing as well. It's still where most of my paddling experience comes from. But for big water, waves and windy conditions the sea kayak is quite a bit more stable.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 2:28am

Post #22 of 27 (45 views)
Shortcut
Hey weav! [In reply to] Can't Post

...I thought, i was Chewie lol.
1.25 miles is 20-25 minutes a day. That is good:)
I am glad to see you both at it. It is a stress reliever and a 'think tank time' too. Winter time it works on cabin fever to boot:). The golf course is good for some hills and it is soft under foot. Easy on the joints and good for the muscles.
Cheers my friendSmile.

J.R.R. Tolkien

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 2:43am

Post #23 of 27 (54 views)
Shortcut
well, I would trust you to fly me through the asteroids any day...! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are one of my all-time heroes, you know! Smile Thanks for getting us moving!

Weaver

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 7:49am

Post #24 of 27 (66 views)
Shortcut
I have orthopaedic insoles [In reply to] Can't Post

And if I'm walking (or running) a (very) short distance (1-2 miles) they'll be fine. After that, it's almost impossible for me to stand up. I've been stretching for years but it has never made a difference. And probably naively, I've given up (and just love through the pain). The surgical option never seemed practical, in my opinion. Operations on both feet, and months and months of recovery. I commute a long distance by car, so it would be near impossible for anything to be done in the near future.

Saying that, I enjoy swimming most of all - that requires no strain on the feet at all Wink.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 10:46am

Post #25 of 27 (34 views)
Shortcut
That'd be something. [In reply to] Can't Post

Road Trip To Sil 5K, brought to you by TORn. Count me in.

Still pushing for sub-27; I've got 3 weeks to get there. I get lost in a sea of competition in the Thanksgiving Day races (8K). Finishing in the top 25% would be great for me this year.

In any case, sil the younger is doing awesome. 17:37 is a great time for HS. One of my HS nephews is in CC; under 19 is his goal this season - he's a soph.

It's gotta be the shoes.Wink

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.