Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A non-Shore Lord of the Rings Symphony

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 8 2012, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 8 (286 views)
Shortcut
A non-Shore Lord of the Rings Symphony Can't Post

Okay, I'm probably the last person on Earth to know about this, but a (not on TORn) friend just pointed it out to me.

Here's a link to a page about Johan de Meij's Lord of the Rings Symphony. There's a lovely little video down in the lower right-hand corner, showcasing his movement No. 5, "Hobbits".

De Meij wrote the Symphony in the 80s, but the video includes artwork based on PJ's movies.

After almost memorizing Shore's music for the hobbits, de Meij's hobbit music sounds a bit grandiose in spots, but there's a very nice, bouncy melody. I need to buy a CD of the entire symphony.

Surely someone here is already familiar with it!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 8 2012, 10:06pm

Post #2 of 8 (95 views)
Shortcut
I'm aware of it [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think I have an old cassette tape of it somewhere that I picked up at a thrift store.

But other than excerpts I've heard during Ellen Kusner's Sound and Spirit program on LOTR, I haven't listened to it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 9 2012, 12:51am

Post #3 of 8 (98 views)
Shortcut
Johan de Meij is pretty good . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . but not as primitive and innocent as I prefer.

I might suggest a few other discs . . .

1) Music inspired by Middle Earth (Elbereth Orchestra/David Arkenstone) .. I like this a lot, although I like David Arkenstone - a blend of Orchestral, Electronic and New Age - all songs are LOTR titles
2) In Elven Lands (Jon Anderson) .. if the name is familiar, he's the lead singer from Yes! I like this one also, as it has more of a medieval feel to it - mostly inspired by Simarillion stuff
3) Lord of the Rings (Soundtrack - Leonard Rosenman) .. Soundtrack to Bakshi's LOTR, orchestral, also has some nice parts
4) The Lord of the Rings (The Tolkien Ensemble & Christopher Lee) .. if the name is familiar . . . kidding. A small ensemble using simple instruments and vocals, more folkish, and Mr. Lee speaking many sections from the book . . . a side note, Margrethe II the Queen of Denmark is a big Tolkien fan, and she provides many drawings in the accompanying booklet
5) A Night in Rivendell (The Tolkien Ensemble) .. same outfit as 4), haven't heard it in years, all Tolkien inspired stuff.
6) I believe Rick Wakeman (also of Yes!) did a Lord of the Rings album . . . I remember not being impressed when I heard it . . . too electronic . . .
@) a song: Rivendell (Rush) .. yes, the Canadian progressive rock band. This song is off of an early album, Fly By Night. Rivendell is very much the opposite of the normal Rush fare . . . Geddy Lee singing softly and, I believe, playing the acostic guitar . . . I LOVE This song, worth it if you can find it as an MP3 download.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Asger
Bree

Sep 9 2012, 9:49am

Post #4 of 8 (80 views)
Shortcut
Rick Wakeman (also of Yes!) did a Lord of the Rings album [In reply to] Can't Post

It was included in the 'Master of Middle-earth'/Master of the ring' DVD-box with drawings by the Hildebrand brothers. I haven't listened to it yet.

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2012, 11:16am

Post #5 of 8 (71 views)
Shortcut
I really like Arkenstone's album, too :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard many of the others, but not all. Thanks for the list!! :D Excuse me whilst I go shopping!!! :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 9 2012, 2:17pm

Post #6 of 8 (50 views)
Shortcut
I think you've put your finger on it [In reply to] Can't Post

The de Meij "Hobbit" movement doesn't seem as primitive and innocent as I'd expect. I haven't heard the other movements yet.

Thank you for the list! Some of these I've heard, some not. While I love the Shore soundtracks, I'm trying not to think of them as the gold standard and everyone else as secondary.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 9 2012, 2:24pm

Post #7 of 8 (54 views)
Shortcut
to me, it's a mood thing . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I play Shore's LOTR soundtrack, Arkenstone's Middle Earth and Jon Anderson's In Elven Lands pretty evenly, depending upon my mood. Each is so different from the other two . . .
I have recently burned a CD with a few songs from each, and I added a number of Christopher Lee's bits from the Tolkien Ensemble album . . . that is my new favorite!

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 11 2012, 6:44pm

Post #8 of 8 (69 views)
Shortcut
Starting at around the 4:30 mark [In reply to] Can't Post

on the video posted on the site - does anyone else hear a similarity to one of the songs from the Phantom of the Opera?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.