Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
*POTENTIAL SPOILERS* Updated "Unexpected Journey Scroll"
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Sep 8 2012, 2:12am

Post #1 of 205 (7340 views)
Shortcut
*POTENTIAL SPOILERS* Updated "Unexpected Journey Scroll" Can't Post

I just downloaded the new official 'Hobbit' app from Warner bros and while looking at the scroll I quickly noticed that the scroll ends before Beorn and the barrels out of bond scene. These pictures are instead replaced with a picture of either the eagle's eerie or the lonely mountain along with gandalf and thorin. I guess this confirms what people were saying about the AUJ ending after the eagles rescue the company. What do you guys think?

http://www.flickr.com/...91620/in/photostream

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 8 2012, 2:15am

Post #2 of 205 (5975 views)
Shortcut
no way [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very curious now for December to arrive. We are in for a surprise.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

FiliSonOfDis
Rivendell

Sep 8 2012, 2:17am

Post #3 of 205 (5596 views)
Shortcut
This might confirm it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like they wouldn't change the scroll with out a good reason.

I was really excited that we'd get through mirkwood in this film, hopefully we still do but changing the scroll is the first piece of solid evidence for ending the movie so early.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Sep 8 2012, 2:32am

Post #4 of 205 (4757 views)
Shortcut
still the same on official website [In reply to] Can't Post

http://apps.warnerbros.com/thehobbit/wallpapergenerator/

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Sep 8 2012, 2:42am

Post #5 of 205 (4577 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

that because that was put online before the three film announcement, we will see it removed in time

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

pacochoa
Bree

Sep 8 2012, 2:46am

Post #6 of 205 (4320 views)
Shortcut
You beat me to the punch :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is the best evidence yet that the ending of film 1 will be moved up now that there are 3 films. I have mixed feelings since i always thought bilbo on the barrel staring at the lonely mountain in the distance was the ideal ending. But i will withold judgment until december. The app is amazing btw.

duats
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2012, 2:54am

Post #7 of 205 (5307 views)
Shortcut
Talk about a punch to the gut [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I get to wait fifteen months to see a character who shows up halfway through the 300-page book.

Awesome Unimpressed.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 8 2012, 2:55am

Post #8 of 205 (4494 views)
Shortcut
blast! I need to hook up my iphone to my computer to DL it. [In reply to] Can't Post

there must be a wealth of riches waiting.

perhaps a hoard worthy of Smaug? Wink

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2012, 3:00am

Post #9 of 205 (5167 views)
Shortcut
I'll be very dissappointed if that turns out to be the ending. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 8 2012, 3:02am

Post #10 of 205 (4396 views)
Shortcut
Ugh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very VERY disappointed...

So were we going to get a roughly three hour long movie originally? I'm guessing the scenes with Beorn, the Spiders, and Thranduil's halls ending with the barrels would have added up to close to an hour.

I'm probably just jumping to conclusions, but this makes it hard not to think that they're just going to give us the same material rearranged and spread over three shorter movies....

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2012, 3:02am

Post #11 of 205 (27386 views)
Shortcut
Nice catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

It does indeed look like the new ending to film 1 will be the eagle rescue.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

duats
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2012, 3:05am

Post #12 of 205 (4353 views)
Shortcut
Here's hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

That PJ throws us Beorn fans a bone and gives us a glimpse at the big guy. I had spent the last year and a half under the belief that we'd be seeing him this Christmas. To find out just three months beforehand that he's being pushed back to film two is a devastating blow to me. The fact that we got a picture of Thranduil (who appears later in the narrative) before him simply adds insult to injury.

*Sigh* Isn't it always the way Unsure.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 8 2012, 3:05am

Post #13 of 205 (4575 views)
Shortcut
shorter movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I think is a good thing.

Look at this way, we love The Hobbit for its whimsy, storybook, bedtime story appeal, BUT with Jackson bringing The Hobbit more in tune with the consistency of Lord of the Rings we were worried that The Hobbit films will LOSE the very appeal they originally had, BUT if these films are shorter, I think they will become more in line with the original pacing and whimsical spirit instead of a more distanced and epic slog.

shorter films I think will bring The Hobbit films closer in tune with the original text in spirit.

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Sep 8 2012, 3:06am)

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 8 2012, 3:07am

Post #14 of 205 (4095 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to say // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 8 2012, 3:08am

Post #15 of 205 (5131 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

Three 2 hour long movies instead of two 3 hour long movies?

I don't see how that's a good thing.Unsure

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 8 2012, 3:10am

Post #16 of 205 (4428 views)
Shortcut
possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like this might restore some of the more light-hearted whimsical pacing, instead of having PJ to make them looooooongggggggg and epicccccccccc.

What I am enjoying about my current read of The Hobbit is how easy and light it is to read each chapter. They are almost nearly self-contained, but are very much page turners. I think a shorter runtime will reflect these things.

OR I COULD BE DEAD WRONG. Angelic

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Sep 8 2012, 3:11am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2012, 3:10am

Post #17 of 205 (4201 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure that we will see a change in... [In reply to] Can't Post

the running time.

I am predicting a minimum of 2hrs and 30mins for each part of the trilogy.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 8 2012, 3:13am

Post #18 of 205 (22551 views)
Shortcut
Noticed that as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Id say this lays out things pretty good as to where things will end. The app itself is really well done with only the Facebook connection having an issue.

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 8 2012, 3:24am

Post #19 of 205 (4595 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't assume there are only half as many dwarves or that the movie ends at the last part [In reply to] Can't Post

not that I mind it ending at the eagles - just saying

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2012, 3:25am

Post #20 of 205 (4347 views)
Shortcut
Here's the pictures in higher quality from Owain's thread: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://imgur.com/a/ulIo0

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Sep 8 2012, 3:26am

Post #21 of 205 (4562 views)
Shortcut
Pretty vile if true [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry, but the material from the Shire to the eagles just doesn't merit an entire film. No matter how many shiny new scenes of the White Council, the Battle of Azanulbizar, the Dúnedain, the Battle of Fornost, or of a resurrected Azog you throw in. Nothing changes or grows from the Shire to the eagles; it's in Mirkwood that something shifts in Bilbo.

So because of this dubious trilogy business, film 1 now risks being a succession of pretty scenes amounting to very little of worth. I really hope this is just misleading info.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2012, 3:26am

Post #22 of 205 (6556 views)
Shortcut
I hope so. [In reply to] Can't Post

If they are shorter than 2:30, i'll feel cheated and start questioning the decision to split the Hobbit into 3 movies.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2012, 3:27am

Post #23 of 205 (26938 views)
Shortcut
Ah thanks, Carne! Was trying to abide by the rules.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 8 2012, 3:31am

Post #24 of 205 (4661 views)
Shortcut
They cheatsss us, preciousss! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll feel cheated that we'll have to wait another year to see scenes that we've already seen bits and pieces of in promotional material and vlogs. Beorn, Legolas, Tauriel, Thranduil, and the spiders (not to mention most of Bilbo's significant character development) have been yanked away from us just three months before we thought we were going to see them.

I just don't see how we're going to get an emotionally satisfying ending from this.Unsure

I really hope PJ proves me wrong...

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 8 2012, 3:33am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2012, 3:33am

Post #25 of 205 (5097 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i'm curious... [In reply to] Can't Post

... how they are gonna make it feel like a proper movie, with a beginning, middle and ending. If i remember correctly almost nothing happens between the departure and the whole misty mountain affair, only the trolls.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.