Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - September 6

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 10:14am

Post #1 of 12 (244 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 6 Can't Post

Let's catch up and see what everyone is doing Today in Middle-earth.

September 6, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo learns how to make his way through Thranduil's Caverns
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Eventually... ...by watching and following the guards and taking what chances he could, he managed to find out where each dwarf was kept. He found all their twelve cells in different parts of the palace, and after a time he got to know his way about very well."

September 6, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo prepares to leave Bag End.
(not from the appendices)
[Frodo's plans to move to his little house at Crickhollow in the country beyond Bucklebury are well underway.]
..."Frodo was also growing increasingly anxious about the delay of Gandalf's return. Bilbo's birthday, the chosen day of Frodo's departure, was fast approaching and there was still no word from the wizard."

September 6, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They (the Travellers) halt in the sight of the Mountain of Moria.
(from the appendices)
..."They were near to the Gates of Moria... ...Here now for seven days they tarried, for the time was at hand for another parting which they were loth to make. Soon Celeborn and Galadriel and their folk would turn eastward, and so pass by the Redhorn Gate and down the Dimrill Stair to the Silverlode and to their own country."

September 6, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Summer comes to an end in the Shire.
..."In the Southfarthing the vines were laden, and the yield of 'leaf' was astonishing; and everywhere there was so much corn that at Harvest every barn was stuffed."

September 6, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Frodo seems to become more content.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Sam 's mind was eased and his concern for Frodo lessened as it seemed his master was more content than he'd been in many months. The restless nights were fewer now, and Frodo seemed to find great satisfaction in the progress he was making with his book. There were picnics with Sam, Rosie and little Elanor under the mallorn tree, peaceful hikes to the far ends of the Shire, and even a long visit with old Farmer Maggot. Though once he did tell Sam he'd be away for a fortnight and was last seen near Crickhollow riding toward the old High Hay hedges.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 9:14am

Post #2 of 12 (142 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 7, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo finds Thorin's cell.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."What was his surprise one day to overhear some of the guards talking and to learn that there was another dwarf in prison too, in a specially deep dark place. He guessed at once... ...that that was Thorin; and after a while he found that his guess was right. At last after many difficulties he managed to find the place when no one was about, and to have a word with the chief of the dwarves.
...Thorin was too wretched to be angry any longer at his misfortunes, and was even beginning to think of telling the king all about his treasure and his quest... ...when he heard Bilbo's little voice at his keyhole. He could hardly believe his ears. Soon however he made up his mind that he could not be mistaken, and he came to the door and had a long whispered talk with the hobbit on the other side."

September 7, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. The Shire is visited by outsiders.
..."Days passed and The Day drew nearer. An odd-looking waggon laden with odd-looking packages rolled into Hobbiton one evening and toiled up the Hill to Bag End. The startled hobbits peered out of lamplit doors to gape at it. It was driven by outlandish folk, singing strange songs: dwarves with long beards and deep hoods. A few of them remained at Bag End."

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2012, 9:05am

Post #3 of 12 (89 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 8, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The White Council meets.
(not from the appendices-determined from text)
..."...ever the shadow in Mirkwood grew deeper, and to Dol Guldur evil things repaired out of all the dark places of the world... ...united again under one will, and their malice was directed against the Elves and the survivors of Númenor. Therefore at last the Council was again summoned and the lore of the Rings was much debated; but Mithrandir spoke to the Council, saying:
...'It is not needed that the Ring should be found, for while it abides on earth and is not unmade, still the power that it holds will live, and Sauron will grow and have hope. The might of the Elves and the Elf-friends is less now than of old. Soon he will be too strong... ...even without the Great Ring; for he rules the Nine, and of the Seven he has recovered three. We must strike.'"

2. Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur.
..."To this Curunír now assented, desiring that Sauron should be thrust from Dol Guldur, which was nigh to the River, and should have leisure to search there no longer. Therefore, for the last time, he aided the Council..."

sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2012, 1:46pm

Post #4 of 12 (80 views)
Shortcut
Knock-knock [In reply to] Can't Post

"What? Who's there?"

"It's me, Bilbo!"

"Stupid Elvish jokes. Bilbo who?"

I wonder what Bilbo had to say to Thorin, to convince him he was the "real thing"! But then - unless the dwarves told them, and I doubt they did, the Elves would have no idea about hobbits and one named Bilbo Baggins. Hearing Bilbo's voice must have been like the sound of flowing water to someone in great thirst.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2012, 10:56am

Post #5 of 12 (96 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

September 9, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. Elrond foretells.
..."Orcs were mustering, and far to the east and the south the wild peoples were arming. Then in the midst of gathering fear and the rumour of war, the foreboding of Elrond was proved true, and the One Ring was indeed found again, by a chance more strange than even Mithrandir had foreseen; and it was hidden from Curunír and from Sauron. For it had been taken from Anduin... ...being found by one of the small fisher-folk that dwelt by the River... ...and by its finder it was brought beyond search into dark hiding under the roots of the mountains. There it dwelt, until even in the year of the assault upon Dol Guldur it was found again, by a wayfarer, fleeing into the depths of the earth from the pursuit of the Orcs, and passed into a far distant country, even to the land of the Periannath... ...the Halflings, who dwelt in the west of Eriador. And ere that day they had been held of small account by Elves and by Men, and neither Sauron nor any of the Wise save Mithrandir had in all their counsels given thought to them."

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2012, 11:11am

Post #6 of 12 (71 views)
Shortcut
Good one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin knew Bilbo's voice well, so that had to be so startling to hear after so much time. Wouldn't it be strange to think that the reality of Bilbo's voice would be the thing Thorin wouldn't believe after so much seclusion... not even knowing the other dwarves were there, too?

To convince Thorin, I think Bilbo could start with what Thorin ate at that first meal in Bag End ;)

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 3:04pm

Post #7 of 12 (84 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

September 10-13, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The White Council assaults Dol Guldur.
[The White Council ] "... they put forth their strength; and they assailed Dol Guldur, and drove Sauron from his hold, and Mirkwood for a brief while was made wholesome again."
From The Silmarillion

..."But their stroke was too late. For the Dark Lord had foreseen it, and he had long prepared all his movements; and... ...his Nine Servants, had gone before him to make ready for his coming. Therefore his flight was but a feint, and he soon returned, and ere the Wise could prevent him he re-entered his kingdom in Mordor and reared once again the dark towers of Barad-dûr. And in that year the White Council met for the last time, and Curunír withdrew to Isengard, and took counsel with none save himself."

sample

Unused Scenes

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 11:04am

Post #8 of 12 (83 views)
Shortcut
The dual nature [In reply to] Can't Post

of The Nine's will. I have thought about this off and on for some time.

From the Silmarillion: "...they fell under the thraldom of the ring that they bore and of the domination of the One which was Sauron's."

And: "They would have obeyed . . . any minor command of his that did not interfere with their errand — laid upon them by Sauron, who still through their nine rings (which he held) had primary control of their wills." Tolkien, letter 246.

So, without the One Ring, Sauron still controlled them according to the Professor. In what way would his control over them have changed if Sauron did regain control of The One, once they became Wraiths?

Thanks again for posting BS, TIME and Zen. I know right where to go when I need to briefly dip into ME. Smile

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 12 2012, 2:23am

Post #9 of 12 (62 views)
Shortcut
What if he had the One? [In reply to] Can't Post

Having so much power without it!? It's horrifying to think.

Thank you for these, Delrond. Wow...

and Thank you :)

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 12 2012, 9:40am

Post #10 of 12 (57 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

In honour of 9/11, here's a Book Spoiler with some thoughts from Sam... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Stairs of Cirith Ungol: The Two Towers
[Sam speaking with Frodo] "...we shouldn't be here at all, if we'd known more about it before we started. But I suppose it's often that way. The brave things in the old tales and songs... ...adventures, as I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull, a kind of a sport... ...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have been just landed in them, usually--their paths were laid that way... ...But I expect they had lots of chances... ...of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on--and not all to a good end, mind you; at least not to what folk inside a story and not outside it call a good end. You know, coming home, and finding things all right, though not quite the same--like old Mr. Bilbo. But those aren't always the best tales to hear, though they may be the best tales to get landed in!"

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 12 2012, 9:41am

Post #11 of 12 (78 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 12 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

1. Sauron appears in Mordor
[Mordor!!] "That name the hobbits only knew in legends of the dark past, like a shadow in the background of their memories, but it was ominous and disquieting. It seemed that the evil power in Mirkwood had been driven out by the White Council only to reappear in great strength in the old strongholds of Mordor. The Dark Tower had been rebuilt... ...From there the power was spreading far and wide, and away far east and south there were wars and growing fear. Orcs were multiplying again in the mountains. Trolls were abroad, no longer dull-witted, but cunning and armed with dreadful weapons. And there were murmured hints of creatures more terrible than all these, but they had no name."

September 12, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Life is quiet at Bag End.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...As the cool weather of fall set in, Sam busied himself with matters of the Shire and the garden of Bag End. Frodo enjoyed quiet moments in front of the fire sipping a warm cup of tea as he fondly poured over Bilbo's old maps... and smiled.

sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 13 2012, 1:11am

Post #12 of 12 (85 views)
Shortcut
Orcs multiplying? [In reply to] Can't Post

Were they armed with weapons of math instruction?

Wink

On a more somber note, though, this is one thing Gandalf feared: they waited too long to attack Dol Guldur, and the Enemy had plenty of time to prepare - and put in motion the dissemination of Fear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.