Said it once and will say it again, Extended Additions
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

smokerings
Rivendell

Sep 5 2012, 4:46pm

Post #1 of 29 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Said it once and will say it again, Extended Additions Can't Post

Does anyone else feel the synergy here for the making of one of the greatest EE's coming to our Blue Ray soon? I mean, I am so excited to see how PJ and Co paints the picture of the actual movie journey and the struggles that they went though - and I am sure this will be all (or would have been) captured at every step. Like a time stamp, we will see the ups and downs that everyone went through.

As I think through this.....and reflect back to the nights I was (like you all) sitting in front of your computer and wanting any tiny SLIVER of info about this movie happening....man, those were some LONG days and weeks.

See if I am missing anything that you would like to see included in the journey of The Hobbit (I am sure there is more that I am missing):

• Martin Freeman - where it starts
  • Getting the green light for the Hobbit - tons has happened with licensing and parent companies, etc
  • Del Toro enters the ring....and then leaves
  • Legal Battles that ensued and the pain - there is a TON here
  • PJ's health
  • Earthquakes and safety
  • Fire setbacks on the set
  • Casting changes and additions
  • Decision to make 3 films out of 2

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2012, 4:51pm

Post #2 of 29 (753 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to see Howard Shore's candid reaction in a private meeting with Peter (and the camera) to the news that everything he themed and orchestrated out so carefully for two movies was to be changed to three movies just a few weeks before recording was to begin.

That should be entertaining.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 5 2012, 4:57pm

Post #3 of 29 (687 views)
Shortcut
I think the legal stuff is a bit off limits... [In reply to] Can't Post

New Line doesn't want to be portrayed as the bad guy, and I can hardly blame them. There's certainly a lot to be said about the lead-up to pre-production, as it's quite a mythology in itself! I think we're all very interested to see Del Toro's in depth thoughts of the project, even if he won't be specifically involved with the Special Features. It's not like you can just ignore him completely.

There's a grand story to tell here, and I want to hear as much of it as we got with LotR. I have watched through the Appendices almost half a dozen times because of my own interest in filmmaking, and the grand feeling I get over the accomplishments that they created. I want to see more stuff with Alan Lee and John Howe, the new approaches Weta Digital made to the project, the involvement of working in both London and NZ, and of course Andy making us feel good about ourselves Laugh

Though the best part will be the surprises. I'm curious to see if the dwarves will fall into the background like The Fellowship, or if they'll be more like Billy and Dom (who provided some of the most laugh out loud moments for the commentaries!). Martin Freeman also seems like a bit of a private person, so I'll be psyched to see what his perspective on the project was. Richard Armitage, as I've said, is shaping up to be the new Viggo, and his introspective thoughts on the adaptation of Tolkien will be hearty indeed! I'm also anticipating a bit of pessimism from Sir Ian McKellen, given his initial thoughts of the project, but to see him speak about anything will be a delight!

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 5 2012, 5:11pm

Post #4 of 29 (657 views)
Shortcut
HA, HA . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, man . . . they could devote a whole segment to the telling of Shore, Richard Taylor, and everyone else involved . . . Laugh
. . if it was a spur-of-the-moment decision, and not a deep conspiracy to create three movies from the start . . . . . . . . . Evil

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 5 2012, 5:17pm

Post #5 of 29 (605 views)
Shortcut
Much of that will never be seen . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure there will be a (small) section on the film one EE's about Del Toro and his arrival and departure . . .
I'm not sure I understand the earthquake reference . . . didn't the big quakes happen prior to filming?
I'm definitely worried about PJ's health . . . too much weight gain/loss is a rollorcoaster that can kill you . . .

As to the rest, much of the legal sparring is likely off-limits . . .

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 5 2012, 5:20pm

Post #6 of 29 (620 views)
Shortcut
Oh, BTW . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . those EE's better come out on DVD, 'cause I can't afford to upgrade. Unsure

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 5 2012, 5:51pm

Post #7 of 29 (533 views)
Shortcut
The commentaries and the technical stuff are all I'm really interested in. [In reply to] Can't Post

The parts I enjoyed the most in the LOTR extras were about the Foley artists and the CG artists and the music and the sets and the costumes.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Sep 5 2012, 5:55pm

Post #8 of 29 (569 views)
Shortcut
Got your's beat [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt wrote: I want to see Howard Shore's candid reaction in a private meeting with Peter (and the camera) to the news that everything he themed and orchestrated out so carefully for two movies was to be changed to three movies just a few weeks before recording was to begin. That should be entertaining.

I want to see Howard Shore's candid reaction in a private meeting with Peter (and the camera) to the news that everything he themed and orchestrated out so carefully for the movie, King Kong, was going to be replaced by the work of another composer shortly after the London recording took place.

Snaga
Lorien

Sep 5 2012, 6:13pm

Post #9 of 29 (522 views)
Shortcut
The EE's for the LOTR films made tons of money [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember where I saw the tally, it was a couple years ago and might have been a link to an article by somebody here.

In essense, the EE's for the LOTR films sold very well and were 're-skinned' a couple times and sold again as collectors editions and whatnot. Rinse and repeat on blu-ray and you're talking some serious cash. There's no way WB overlooked all of that when they greenlighted these films. My bet is that there was a film crew working the behind the scenes stuff way back when it was just PJ & Fran bankrolling some of the concept art.

For my part I suspect they are going to try to outdo the LOTR films when it comes to extended content and documentary material.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 5 2012, 6:42pm

Post #10 of 29 (449 views)
Shortcut
Amen to that!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 5 2012, 6:47pm

Post #11 of 29 (459 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome to come and watch them with me when they're on DVD! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need some intelligent conversation, rather than the other half moaning I'm watching them again Wink

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Sep 5 2012, 7:02pm

Post #12 of 29 (464 views)
Shortcut
Nah, he'll be cool [In reply to] Can't Post

His work for AUJ won't be affected, and that's all they are recording now.

Yes he will have to write more material and create a new theme or two for TDoS and TaBA, but he has plenty of time for that I think.

Even before the 3 film split was announced, he would not know how TaBA was going to be cut so none of his work on that would have been solidified.

As a side note, it feels wierd as trousers writing these new film title acronyms Crazy

* crunch *

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2012, 7:10pm

Post #13 of 29 (469 views)
Shortcut
I'm a bit worried actually [In reply to] Can't Post

Lately WB has done an awful job when it comes to bonus material, as in barely including anything at all.

I hope PJ gives them a kick behind and has it his way.

To this day the LOTR EE have the best bonus material I've ever seen (still don't think I've watched all of it).

(This post was edited by Carne on Sep 5 2012, 7:12pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 5 2012, 8:51pm

Post #14 of 29 (367 views)
Shortcut
Hey! [In reply to] Can't Post

What were you doing sitting in front of MY computer? When was this? How did you get in? Get yer own gal-durned computer! This ain't no library.

And I had better not catch you watching Blu-ray discs on my PS3!

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2012, 9:03pm

Post #15 of 29 (379 views)
Shortcut
Epic [In reply to] Can't Post

Epic indeed, could bea fourth movieTongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 5 2012, 9:19pm

Post #16 of 29 (363 views)
Shortcut
They could easily make a docudrama out of it [In reply to] Can't Post

Who would play who?

Johnny Depp as Peter Jackson?
Helena Bonham-Carter as Fran Walsh?
Brian Blessed as GDT ...

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 5 2012, 9:55pm

Post #17 of 29 (319 views)
Shortcut
Hang on . . . need to contact Radagast . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . and see if I can get me an eagle for transport.
the UK is a little far from here . . .

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 5 2012, 9:59pm

Post #18 of 29 (313 views)
Shortcut
I'll just describe to you how amazing they are ;-P [In reply to] Can't Post

The price of blu-ray players will go down by 2014. Smile

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2012, 10:03pm

Post #19 of 29 (333 views)
Shortcut
I felt bad for Peter [In reply to] Can't Post

With all actors equity drama, I saw that interview were he and Philipa appeared on the set of Goullmīs cave, he looked very anxiousUnsure

It has been an adventure indeed, Iīm trully glad that PJ is doing three instead two, for me that is a guarantee that the movies are good, because the synergy has convinced him

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2012, 10:14pm

Post #20 of 29 (297 views)
Shortcut
Or just buy a PS3 it does it all // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 5 2012, 10:16pm

Post #21 of 29 (302 views)
Shortcut
They're just as expensive though, aren't they? [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming one already has an HD ready TV, then buying a (cheaper) blu-ray player makes sense Smile

Though, there might not be any point. My sauce (his name is Mr.Ketchup) says there will be a pink, brown and orange tint overlay on each of the 3 films. Tongue

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 5 2012, 10:17pm)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2012, 10:19pm

Post #22 of 29 (306 views)
Shortcut
Gamestop refurbished PS3 is like 200 bucks [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have seen a blueray player alone on black friday sale last year for 89 dollars if thats better. Wink

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Sep 6 2012, 1:25am

Post #23 of 29 (279 views)
Shortcut
other cast members [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB wrote: Who would play who?

Johnny Depp as Peter Jackson?

Helena Bonham-Carter as Fran Walsh?
Brian Blessed as GDT ...

Rosie O'Donnell as Phillipa Boyens
David Hyde Pierce as Howard Shore
Will Farrell as Richard Taylor

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2012, 1:40am

Post #24 of 29 (264 views)
Shortcut
I'm very excited for the Extended Editions. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all of the documentaries, making of, and familial bonding that we get to see.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 6 2012, 3:33pm

Post #25 of 29 (186 views)
Shortcut
Oh oh! I got more! [In reply to] Can't Post

Steve Buschemi as Alan Lee
Andy Serkis as John Howe
Christopher Lee as Christopher damned Lee

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.