Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I knew the Tolkien estate was opposed to the films...but Christopher disowning his own son???...And a couple of questions regarding the Tolkien estate

malickfan
Rohan

Sep 5 2012, 10:29am

Views: 882
Shortcut
I knew the Tolkien estate was opposed to the films...but Christopher disowning his own son???...And a couple of questions regarding the Tolkien estate Can't Post

I just stumbled across this old article and I've got to say I was a little shocked! I was unaware Chrsitopher's feelings went that deep...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...the-family-tree.html

I'm mean sure the films weren't perfect adaptations but they probably did more to further Tolkien's reach than any other cause (I myself and almost all of my then friends were totally unware of Tolkien when the films came out), and helped improve sales of the books alot. I can see Christopher's points to an extent:

http://www.examiner.com/...h-newspaper-le-monde

But all the same this seems a little extreme to me. The books were never going to be 100% faifthful, and he could have got involved as an advisor-JRR did sell the rights so obviously wasn't opposed entirely (that said I hope the Tolkien estate NEVER sells the rights to The Silmarillion-non book readers who I've explained the plot to are under the impression that 'The Book sounds boring but Peter Jackson could make a cool action film...' and quite a number asume the LOTR films were an improvement because they were shorter-I can see why C. Tolkien does get annoyed when PJ is associated more with LOTR than his father...)

Have any more of Tolkien's children/grandchildren commented on the films? (Didn't one of them appear in ROTK?)

And does anyone know who would take over the Tolkien estate when Christopher passes on? Would there be a chance of further films?

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Subject User Time
I knew the Tolkien estate was opposed to the films...but Christopher disowning his own son???...And a couple of questions regarding the Tolkien estate malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Sep 5 2012, 10:29am
    On the other hand - geordie Send a private message to geordie Sep 5 2012, 12:22pm
        Instructive snippet SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Sep 5 2012, 2:51pm
    Obstinance JWPlatt Sep 5 2012, 3:48pm
        All wet Solicitr Send a private message to Solicitr Sep 5 2012, 4:18pm
            Solicitr? Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Sep 5 2012, 10:40pm
        Perhaps CT twigged that the production SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Sep 6 2012, 3:33am
            Concerns JWPlatt Sep 6 2012, 3:55am
            I agree with this Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Sep 6 2012, 6:13pm
                Invited JWPlatt Sep 6 2012, 6:31pm
                    My understanding is that they were invited to informally particpate Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Sep 6 2012, 6:37pm
                        Ok JWPlatt Sep 6 2012, 6:45pm
    I've been following this for years . . . TomthePilgrim Send a private message to TomthePilgrim Sep 5 2012, 4:31pm
        see above Solicitr Send a private message to Solicitr Sep 5 2012, 4:46pm
            I agree with you . . .partially . . . TomthePilgrim Send a private message to TomthePilgrim Sep 5 2012, 5:01pm
                mmhmm ... Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Sep 5 2012, 5:12pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.